• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Filming bus routes in Newcastle & surrounding areas

Status
Not open for further replies.

RELL6L

Been away form the forum for a few days but must contribute to this discussion although @TheGrandWazoo knows far more than me about the area.

Durham direct to Newcastle is OK. I agree the X21 is better, it is quicker and nothing lost. But when I did it we overtook a 21 exactly as we passed the Angel of the North so photo another time!

I don't know Durham to Sunderland via Peterlee nor the 56 from Sunderland to Newcastle but I don't think anything here is outstanding. Better to take more time at Newcastle and Gateshead (at the waterfront). One option Durham to Sunderland is via Seaham, the town of Seaham and harbour are in my view (not shared by all) really attractive. Agree that the E1 is the best way up to South Shields which itself is OK. I certainly agree with those suggesting to cross the river on the ferry here, very scenic. North Shields is good too, stop at the top as well as the ferry terminal, and Tynemouth is a gorgeous place. Then you can go on to Whitley Bay and to Blyth or directly to Newcastle.

The routes up into Northumberland are good but you are going quite a bit further here, certainly the X18 or X20 up to Alnwick via Amble are good. Morpeth is also a lovely town if you don't want to go too far north.

I think Corbridge is a very attractive town, the 10 route is good, Hexham is lovely. The 685 and AD122 west of Hexham are really good as is the 689 to Consett, although this is only twice a day. I haven't done the 74 Newcastle to Hexham via Matfen so I can't comment.

The really best way, with more planning, is Durham - Newcastle - Corbridge - Hexham - Allenheads - Cowshill - Bishop Auckland - Durham, outstanding Pennine scenery. The problem is that there is no bus between Allenheads and Cowshill, it is a 3 mile walk on an A road ( a quiet A road but high up and hilly, only consider walking on a sunny day) or - like I did - organise a taxi. The 688 south of Hexham is beautiful as is the 101 along the valley through Stanhope and Wolsingham.

When I was there the X12 was mostly Pulsar with a few deckers on it but now these seem to be very rare and Stockton doesn't have any deckers. There do appear to be a handful on the 22/23/24 but not many, more common on the X46 and 48 (interworked) and 7 (some) plus some on 64. I believe the Go Ahead 50 now has deckers on it but I'm not an authority on these routes. Most Citaros and pretty much all Omnicities have gone.

If you only have two days you can't begin to do everything. Choose a route and come back another time for more.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

peterblue

The really best way, with more planning, is Durham - Newcastle - Corbridge - Hexham - Allenheads - Cowshill - Bishop Auckland - Durham, outstanding Pennine scenery. The problem is that there is no bus between Allenheads and Cowshill, it is a 3 mile walk on an A road ( a quiet A road but high up and hilly, only consider walking on a sunny day) or - like I did - organise a taxi. The 688 south of Hexham is beautiful as is the 101 along the valley through Stanhope and Wolsingham.

Back a few years ago, I did Haltwhistle to Hexham via Alston, two bus routes but they interworked with each other. I can't find any recognition of this on bustimes now, so presumably it has been withdrawn. That was quite scenic also. I haven't been through Weardale yet.

RELL6L

Back a few years ago, I did Haltwhistle to Hexham via Alston, two bus routes but they interworked with each other. I can't find any recognition of this on bustimes now, so presumably it has been withdrawn. That was quite scenic also. I haven't been through Weardale yet.

I think the Hexham to Alston were positioning journeys for the main Haltwhistle to Alston service which has been changed but still exists. There is also, in high summer, the 888 from Newcastle to Hexham to Alston to Penrith and Keswick. I was lucky enough to do this on a brilliant day in 2021 from Hexham to Penrith- absolutely stunning!

Snex

If you want a long day but make a right day of it, you could do something like (based on a week day).

Newcastle to Blyth (308), Leaves 7.05, Arrives 8.11
Blyth to Morpeth (2), Leaves 8.22, Arrives 9.12
-- 80 minute break in Morpeth, it's worth it - nice place --
Morpeth to Berwick via the Coast (X18), Leaves 10.45, Arrives 14:00
-- 90 minute break in Berwick, another nice place and get something to eat --
Berwick to Durham (LNER), Leaves 15.33, Arrives 16.30
Durham Station to Durham Cathedral (40)
-- Spend however long you want in Durham --
Durham to Newcastle (X12/21/X21) - They all do the same route give or take.

LNER tickets from Berwick to Durham are usually only £10 or so in advance midday before railcards etc.

You'll get the best of the Northumberland Coast which is by far the best coast line in the North East on both train and bus including travelling over The Royal Border Bridge which imo is one of the best parts of the ECML.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
The X12 is almost entirely operated by Stockton now with a solid Pulsar allocation as a result.
I thought it was shared but clearly Stockton have got it in the main. Thanks for the correction
Am I right in thinking that the 308 and the 309 are exactly the same route, with the only difference being that the 308 is run by Arriva and the 309 is run by Go North East?

Are 47 Newcastle Consett and X5 Consett Durham worth doing? I'm thinking of doing these instead of 22A Durham Sunderland
The 308 and 309 follow each other along the Coast Road from Newcastle but then the 309 involves more diversions and faffing around New York (!) whilst the 308 goes direct and then into Whitley Bay.

The X5 is actually quite a pleasant route through Lanchester. The 47 is ok

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
I thought it was shared but clearly Stockton have got it in the main. Thanks for the correction

The 308 and 309 follow each other along the Coast Road from Newcastle but then the 309 involves more diversions and faffing around New York (!) whilst the 308 goes direct and then into Whitley Bay.

The X5 is actually quite a pleasant route through Lanchester. The 47 is ok

Interesting, didn't know that Newcastle had a direct bus to New York. I wonder what parts of New York the 308 and 309 go to, whether it's Staten Island, Manhattan, Bronx, Queens or Brooklyn...

As for the 47, between Consett and Newcastle are there more scenic alternatives, X45 or X71 maybe?

Snex

Not sure if it's permanent now but the boards were all moved as there was, and still is, driver shortages at Durham.

Adtrainsam

Am I right in thinking that the 308 and the 309 are exactly the same route, with the only difference being that the 308 is run by Arriva and the 309 is run by Go North East?

Are 47 Newcastle Consett and X5 Consett Durham worth doing? I'm thinking of doing these instead of 22A Durham Sunderland
As mentioned above; the 308 and 309 are very similar. The 309 diverts to serve Battle Hill, Cobalt and New York, whilst the 308 is a bit more direct staying on the Coast Road. When coming into Blyth, the 308 stays closer to the Coast, whereas the 309 uses Rotary Way (bit more residential).

The 47 is a decent route - I would recommend checking out Central Transport Productions' YouTube channel. There's a playlist for the Full Route Visuals he's done so you can get a little taster of what the routes are like before you experience the full thing. I've attached a link for the 47 route.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
If you want speed, the 308 will be best as after recent service changes the 309 also diverts round High Farm. Vehicle-wise though they're very similar. The Clean Air Zone put paid to any Omnidekkas or similarly old/entertaining vehicles on the 309. It's solidly B9s now with some recently transferred ex-London B9s substituting where needed.

308 is usually B9 as well - but Enviro 400s and Pulsars do appear. The whole "Coast Road partnership" was meant to eliminate single deck working but it still happens.

Re: comments above about Haltwhistle to Hexham via Alston, that's no more. The Alston to Hexham bus was effectively a positioning move at the start/end of the day and whilst scenic, I had the bus to myself the entire way.

All of the Consett to Newcastle services hit some scenery one way or another, though the 47 is pleasant enough - it is the slowest though. It was the X47 at one point before being relegated back to the 47.

JD2168

Some buses you could look at in Newcastle are the Stagecoach ALX 300s which are the last batch of these running in service.

hst43102

308 is usually B9 as well - but Enviro 400s and Pulsars do appear. The whole "Coast Road partnership" was meant to eliminate single deck working but it still happens.
Not wishing to be super pedantic but the Arriva Gemini on the 308 are VDL DB300s rather than Volvo B9s.
Some buses you could look at in Newcastle are the Stagecoach ALX 300s which are the last batch of these running in service.
I'm afraid these have all been withdrawn from Newcastle and transferred to Stockton with some rather less exciting E300s taking their place.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Not wishing to be super pedantic but the Arriva Gemini on the 308 are VDL DB300s rather than Volvo B9s.

Arriva North East do have B9TLs tho, NK64 reg! However, I believe they're based at Middlesbrough and do routes like X4/X93? With the DB300s being used in Northumbria?

DanNCL

Established Member
Something probably worth noting is that Go North East vehicle allocations are all over the place following the Clean Air Zone introduction. 'Wrong' brands are a daily occurance on several routes. Taking the Loop branded B9TLs as an example, you can find them just about everywhere except on the routes they're branded for! :lol:

Go North East's 21 has branded Streetdecks, 67 plate. Availability of these is poor and other vehicles regularly substitute. B9TLs are the most common substitutions, both Loop branded and corporate livery examples. E400 MMCs and X Lines branded Streetdecks also appear. The route itself isn't one you want to do end to end, it stops constantly with people getting on and off at every stop and it's usually busy, full and standing buses are common. If you want to get a bus between Newcastle and Durham take the X21 or X12.

Go North East's 56 has branded B9TLs. From my own observations this is one of the few Go North East routes where the allocated vehicles are actually what turns up in practice. The route itself isn't great as it passes through several rougher areas and the clientelle aren't always great either. As with the 21 it's stopping constantly too.

Arriva's 22/22A is allocated Streetlites. My honest opinion? Terrible vehicles. But as with every Arriva Durham route you could in practice have just about anything so you may get lucky with the vehicle. Never tried the route so can't comment on whether the journey itself is worth doing.

Stagecoach's E routes usually have a mix of E300s and E400s. In nicer weather open top ALX400s were also allocated last year, not sure if that's returning this year or not but definitely something to keep an eye out for.

The 50 is one of a small number of Go North East routes not to enter the new Clean Air Zone and therefore gets allocated whatever is spare after the other routes from Washington depot have been allocated. 16 plate corporate livery Streetdecks are common but in practice anything can appear from Streetdecks in corporate or X lines livery to 4 branded Citaros and Optare Versas!

The X21 comes under the X Lines brand and whilst there is an X21 version of the X Lines livery carried by some Streetdecks in practice several versions of the X Lines livery can appear on the route, as can corporate branded B9TLs and E400 MMCs, and occasionally Angel branded Streetdecks (usually whilst an X Lines one is on the 21...!)

The X5 uses X Lines branded B5LH Geminis that have recently had the hybrid drive chain removed in favour of a conventional diesel one. I'm not sure what the vehicles are like to ride on after the mods. The route itself is nice and one I've done a few times.

If you're trying to cover lots of ground and save a bit of time I would highly recommend taking the X21 between Newcastle and Durham instead of the 21 - it's largely the same route but takes the A1 instead of some boring estates in Birtley and between Chester and Durham. It takes around an hour between Newcastle and Durham rather than the 80 minutes or so that the 21 takes and you won't miss any spectacular parts of the route.
Definitely take the x21 from Durham to Gateshead. Sit upstairs on the left as when you're on the A1 near the Angel the view on the left across the Team Valley and up to the hills is rather good. You really don't want to get on a regular 21. Mainly every stop through Birtley and Low Fell is a total pain
More often than not the X21 is diverted via Birtley because of the ongoing roadworks on the A1. It's often quicker to go non stop via Birtley than to sit in the queues on the A1 and when that's the case the X21 gets diverted that way.

I know but I'm not bothered about it. It's just a policy and it's not a bylaw/law, so that won't stop me from wanting to film the metro. Not especially considering it's a once in a lifetime opportunity considering I live in the South East of England (and we're talking about even further south than London - precisely speaking Sussex). Plus looking at the photography/filming permit form, it asks all sort of questions like crew size, all the sort of thing you would do if you were doing a commercial project instead like filming a new film (and not a personal with YouTube share type of video, which applies to me).
I've spoken to people who've found it easier to film on networks in former Soviet countries, where photography is prohibited by law, than they found it to film on Metro. Nexus are excessively strict on it. Even if there's no staff at the station they're monitoring you on CCTV and are known to make announcements via the PA system instructing people to leave the station and threatening to call the police. Any visible camera will meet an unpleasant response from Nexus very quickly.
There is a way to do it with minimal hassle which is to do it entirely with a smartphone and do it discreetly. Most drivers aren't fussed by it as long as you're careful not to get their faces in any photos or videos and the CCTV operator usually won't notice when you're using a smartphone but customer service staff and security will try to stop you if they see you.
A useful bit of information is that Fellgate to South Hylton is Network Rail property and comes under the jurisdiction of BTP. Even though Nexus operate all of the stations there apart from Sunderland and do try kicking up a fuss at photography there it's unenforceable on that section and BTP if Nexus did call them would most likely take your side. On the rest of the network BTP doesn't have jurisdiction, it instead falls to Northumbria Police who usually take the side of Nexus.

The BX63 batch are still in Service, although I suspect they're on borrowed time as they are now a rather non-standard type.
The bigger issue with them is that they're only Euro 5 so can't enter the Clean Air Zone. It isn't an issue on the 4, and they can be (and often are) used on the 34 and the 50 too. The 09 plate Versas at Washington are in poor condition and will need replacing before the remaining Citaros. The 11 plate Versas might manage to cling on for a few more years and outlast the 63 plate Citaros though.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
I've spoken to people who've found it easier to film on networks in former Soviet countries, where photography is prohibited by law, than they found it to film on Metro. Nexus are excessively strict on it. Even if there's no staff at the station they're monitoring you on CCTV and are known to make announcements via the PA system instructing people to leave the station and threatening to call the police. Any visible camera will meet an unpleasant response from Nexus very quickly.
There is a way to do it with minimal hassle which is to do it entirely with a smartphone and do it discreetly. Most drivers aren't fussed by it as long as you're careful not to get their faces in any photos or videos and the CCTV operator usually won't notice when you're using a smartphone but customer service staff and security will try to stop you if they see you.
A useful bit of information is that Fellgate to South Hylton is Network Rail property and comes under the jurisdiction of BTP. Even though Nexus operate all of the stations there apart from Sunderland and do try kicking up a fuss at photography there it's unenforceable on that section and BTP if Nexus did call them would most likely take your side. On the rest of the network BTP doesn't have jurisdiction, it instead falls to Northumbria Police who usually take the side of Nexus.

Not a problem for me as I always film on a smartphone.

RELL6L

Arriva North East do have B9TLs tho, NK64 reg! However, I believe they're based at Middlesbrough and do routes like X4/X93? With the DB300s being used in Northumbria?

There are very few double deckers in Middlesbrough. The X93 is mainly deckers but most are based at Whitby with additional summer boards from Redcar. Apart from these Arriva Stockton and Redcar have no deckers. Stagecoach have few, if any. The only other decker route is the X10 from Newcastle. I don’t think you’ll ever find one on the X4, nice though it might be. And none of the major operators has a base in Middlesbrough- possibly the largest town without a bus depot (there was a thread some time ago).

Reference Alston, I have already mentioned the 888 but there is also a Tuesday only 889 to Hexham which takes an even more obscure route- on my list of things to do but won’t be easy!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

There are very few double deckers in Middlesbrough. The X93 is mainly deckers but most are based at Whitby with additional summer boards from Redcar. Apart from these Arriva Stockton and Redcar have no deckers. Stagecoach have few, if any. The only other decker route is the X10 from Newcastle. I don’t think you’ll ever find one on the X4, nice though it might be. And none of the major operators has a base in Middlesbrough- possibly the largest town without a bus depot (there was a thread some time ago).
The Arriva B9TLs (and some B7TLs) are based at Whitby and are there for the X93. It is very rare for them to appear on other routes except in extremis. @darloscott will be able to confirm but I think that whilst vehicles can access the Arriva depot in Stockton, they can't access the maintenance area. Hence why deckers have never been allocated to Stockton (AFAIK though they have appeared in the yard for storage). Instead, they were allocated to Stokesley (when that was open), and to Whitby outbase. Even Redcar didn't have many allocated.

Stagecoach (the old Cleveland Transit) was traditionally quite DD heavy but even by the mid 1990s, they'd concentrated on single deckers. Aside from a half dozen Olympians c.1997/8, I don't think they've had new deckers since about 1985 and just have the odd ones for schools/contract. Basically, if you want deckers, don't go to Teesside!

DB300s are based at Blyth and will see operation on the Blyth to Newcastle services plus the routes that they interwork with.

northern506

Something probably worth noting is that Go North East vehicle allocations are all over the place following the Clean Air Zone introduction. 'Wrong' brands are a daily occurance on several routes. Taking the Loop branded B9TLs as an example, you can find them just about everywhere except on the routes they're branded for! :lol:

Go North East's 21 has branded Streetdecks, 67 plate. Availability of these is poor and other vehicles regularly substitute. B9TLs are the most common substitutions, both Loop branded and corporate livery examples. E400 MMCs and X Lines branded Streetdecks also appear. The route itself isn't one you want to do end to end, it stops constantly with people getting on and off at every stop and it's usually busy, full and standing buses are common. If you want to get a bus between Newcastle and Durham take the X21 or X12.

Go North East's 56 has branded B9TLs. From my own observations this is one of the few Go North East routes where the allocated vehicles are actually what turns up in practice. The route itself isn't great as it passes through several rougher areas and the clientelle aren't always great either. As with the 21 it's stopping constantly too.

Arriva's 22/22A is allocated Streetlites. My honest opinion? Terrible vehicles. But as with every Arriva Durham route you could in practice have just about anything so you may get lucky with the vehicle. Never tried the route so can't comment on whether the journey itself is worth doing.

Stagecoach's E routes usually have a mix of E300s and E400s. In nicer weather open top ALX400s were also allocated last year, not sure if that's returning this year or not but definitely something to keep an eye out for.

The 50 is one of a small number of Go North East routes not to enter the new Clean Air Zone and therefore gets allocated whatever is spare after the other routes from Washington depot have been allocated. 16 plate corporate livery Streetdecks are common but in practice anything can appear from Streetdecks in corporate or X lines livery to 4 branded Citaros and Optare Versas!

The X21 comes under the X Lines brand and whilst there is an X21 version of the X Lines livery carried by some Streetdecks in practice several versions of the X Lines livery can appear on the route, as can corporate branded B9TLs and E400 MMCs, and occasionally Angel branded Streetdecks (usually whilst an X Lines one is on the 21...!)

The X5 uses X Lines branded B5LH Geminis that have recently had the hybrid drive chain removed in favour of a conventional diesel one. I'm not sure what the vehicles are like to ride on after the mods. The route itself is nice and one I've done a few times.

More often than not the X21 is diverted via Birtley because of the ongoing roadworks on the A1. It's often quicker to go non stop via Birtley than to sit in the queues on the A1 and when that's the case the X21 gets diverted that way.

The bigger issue with them is that they're only Euro 5 so can't enter the Clean Air Zone. It isn't an issue on the 4, and they can be (and often are) used on the 34 and the 50 too. The 09 plate Versas at Washington are in poor condition and will need replacing before the remaining Citaros. The 11 plate Versas might manage to cling on for a few more years and outlast the 63 plate Citaros though.
The open top ALX400s have recently been repainted into the new Stagecoach livery, so I assume they will be around for another summer season at least.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
The 47 is a decent route - I would recommend checking out Central Transport Productions' YouTube channel. There's a playlist for the Full Route Visuals he's done so you can get a little taster of what the routes are like before you experience the full thing. I've attached a link for the 47 route.

I do love watching his videos, and to be honest, Central Transport Productions's videos is kinda the reason why I really can't wait to go up to the North East! I wonder if he's on Railforums!

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
I also like capturing beautiful city architecture on my videos, so are the Q3 and 53/54 good routes for that seeing that they go through the heart of Newcastle City Centre?

hst43102

I also like capturing beautiful city architecture on my videos, so are the Q3 and 53/54 good routes for that seeing that they go through the heart of Newcastle City Centre?
Q3 and 53/54 are very good for the city, especially towards the Quayside, 53/54 also take the swing bridge across the river (only in the Gateshead direction) which is a really nice route. Almost all southbound GNE routes and cross city Stagecoach routes go through Grainger Town - the part of Newcastle with the lovely architecture.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Btw I've just remembered why I want to do the 21 instead of the X21.

The 21 goes past the famous Angel of the North, but the X21 doesn't I think

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Btw I've just remembered why I want to do the 21 instead of the X21.

The 21 goes past the famous Angel of the North, but the X21 doesn't I think
You're fine - the 21 and X21 both go through Harlow Green and Low Fell

I know that you'll want to get the Angel in detail so the 21/X21 is best.

However, for future reference, the 25 from Chester le Street to Gateshead climbs up out of Birtley and heads under the A1 before going up to Eighton Banks and views of the former Bowes Incline Railway (where cable hauled coal trucks used to link the coal mines with the docks) and then through Wrekenton before heading into Low Fell. Views of the Angel aren't that good but worth travelling on for other reasons.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Yeah, Full Route Visuals Are Fun. I Know I’m, Quite Frankly, Ages Away From Newcastle, But Thankfully Edinburgh Has An Amazing Bus Network For Me To Do My FRVs On (See https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYlC6edQGD3lU08_kqSnMwP91GKWHCry5), Albeit, Subject To Awful Delays Upward Of 30 Minutes. I Also Reccommed Ray Ray Buses’ FRVs Of The London Buses

I do full route visuals, you know. And when I meant by filming bus routes i meant exactly doing route visuals

Status
Not open for further replies.