• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

PaulMc7

Established Member
Generally it's definitely been double deckers I've seen the worst problems occur with although I do remember witnessing a single decker 42A getting a brick through one of its windows in Partick before. Been on a lot of double deckers over the years with scratches all over the windows and back of seats and graffiti on a few of them. Seems to be better in recent times pre-pandemic compared to when I was growing up though. Used to be alcohol all over the floors of some buses and the empty bottles and cans still there too

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cnjb8

Established Member
Thank you.

True, then again the drivers focus would mainly be on the road so it would be harder for them.

Its not as much of a problem in West Lothian but a few months back I was on a Streetlite and was at the back and I could count 8 seats that were slashed with a knife, I feel bad for the company/ driver having to put up with that.
True, they shouldn't be passenger watching, double deck or not.
Stone throwing seems to be a problem here in Nottingham, so much that the police ride empty buses to catch them in the act!

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Yeah, I remember on the news one of the new 38 branded Enviro400MMC's was subject to an arson attack last January which (I think) resulted in it being scrapped.
heard from within the company that 34368 is being repaired and i reckon thats pretty credible aswell

route101

Established Member
Unsure if you saw my previous reply or not, however i don't really think it's down to if the driver can actually see them. It's more down to the perpetrators perceptions of what the driver can see.

Glasgow does have a issue with etching on windows though, it was quite a surprise when we got the Presidents and E500s from Glasgow as so many of them had bad etching on the windows, something which is pretty much unthought of and very uncommon here. For years it was company policy that if a vehicle came from another opco and had etching that the window was replaced prior to it entering service in order to discourage any vandals up here etching. In fact come to think of it the only time i've seen etching on a window has been on a vehicle that's recently transferred from Glasgow.
Glasgow area is about only area in Scotland with window etching. I'm sure it used to be worse in the 90s and early 2000s, I remember the Ailsas being bad for it. I've seen it down south too, Birmingham and London. There was phase of graffiti rather than etching too.

The 4 I would say is a pretty safe route for buses. No rough areas that it really goes through. I used to drive the 44 years ago and can't think of anybody having any problems on it.

Yes, the 4 is like the 23 Lothian of Glasgow. The worst part is Victoria Road to City Centre. 6 may also be a contender. Glasgow has this bad reputation, but is it really bad, worse places in London and Europe.

heard from within the company that 34368 is being repaired and i reckon thats pretty credible aswell
At least it's not getting scrapped, im guessing this would be similarly with the 2 Enviro400MMC's that were deroofed last year? (The 18 branded one and Ex First West Lothian one)

Because from the looks of it, it was a head on collision rather than an angled one for both of them.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
At least it's not getting scrapped, im guessing this would be similarly with the 2 Enviro400MMC's that were deroofed last year? (The 18 branded one and Ex First West Lothian one)

Because from the looks of it, it was a head on collision rather than an angled one for both of them.
dont read into one vehicles case as the same for every vehicles case. Lothians 1029 was 9 years old, its type was long out of production and too much to repair. it doesn’t matter what angle those MMCs hit the bridge because those are both a couple years old and their vehicle types are still in production so for those its a case of a new roof from the production line and any other bodywork sorted.

lastbus

dont read into one vehicles case as the same for every vehicles case. Lothians 1029 was 9 years old, its type was long out of production and too much to repair. it doesn’t matter what angle those MMCs hit the bridge because those are both a couple years old and their vehicle types are still in production so for those its a case of a new roof from the production line and any other bodywork sorted.
All 3 are being repaired atm.

Caledonia is where the majority of bigger repairs are done on the whole fleet but Blantyre and Scotstoun have their own repair workshops as well so the fleet can go anywhere for repairs depending on what needs done.

awsnews

Does anyone know if the pink branded E200MMCs have been moved to Dumbarton?
67020 is currently at Dumbarton, seen here on Saturday (surprising what you come across when doing click and collect)
On bustimes.org it was tracking against what I presume is a spare Caledonia ticket machine. There was an E300 branded for the 2 in use as well.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
67020 is currently at Dumbarton, seen here on Saturday (surprising what you come across when doing click and collect)
On bustimes.org it was tracking against what I presume is a spare Caledonia ticket machine. There was an E300 branded for the 2 in use as well.
Thanks for the info!

I always thought the 1 would have been a candidate for new E200MMCs given it’s such a busy route but I guess not. Have the recently branded E300s been refurbished or just branded externally?

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
67020 to 67024 whats the reason they were delivered with pink/puple fronts?
Don’t think there was ever a solid reason. I think initially it was said to be a mistake but it’s odd now nearly 3 years later they still sport pink fronts while other buses have been debranded. I always thought they were perhaps for the next order of buses and were for the 9/9A but with COVID we never saw another order.

Scott mac

67020 to 67024 whats the reason they were delivered with pink/puple fronts?
They were meant to be for the 34/34a as the pvr at one time for that route was 16 it was then cut to 12 so the other 4 were painted a different colour temporarily and these are now due the new livery

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Im guessing they will go to scrap rather than sale?
majority of older first buses generally do go to scrap rather than sale, particularly in glasgow. generally due to them being a lot older than stock being replaced by London operators or Lothian who tend to withdraw stock 5 or so years before forst would typically withdraw an age equivalent vehicle

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Noticed another E400MMC has been painted into the gold branding for the X11. Why have some been repainted partially with the recent repairs getting the full gold coloured front? Seems a bit inconsistent.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Noticed another E400MMC has been painted into the gold branding for the X11. Why have some been repainted partially with the recent repairs getting the full gold coloured front? Seems a bit inconsistent.
It's not really that inconsistent, the first few repaints only had the half gold front, but all the recent repaints have a full gold front.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
It's not really that inconsistent, the first few repaints only had the half gold front, but all the recent repaints have a full gold front.
My point still stands that is called inconsistent. Why didn’t they do what they’ve did with every other repaint? It seems odd and looks incomplete I hope they go back over it.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
My point still stands that is called inconsistent. Why didn’t they do what they’ve did with every other repaint? It seems odd and looks incomplete I hope they go back over it.
Don't know if I'm reading this right. They were doing a half front? However, more recent repaints have gone with a full gold front?

If that is the case, is that not just the issue of any legacy scheme?

experts

They were meant to be for the 34/34a as the pvr at one time for that route was 16 it was then cut to 12 so the other 4 were painted a different colour temporarily and these are now due the new livery

No, they were painted by mistake to the 65 spec.