• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Once again I'd like to draw attention to our forum rules.

In particular:

• All contributions should be readable and understandable. You should use the forum's default font and formatting, unless appropriate to aid clarity. Additionally you should make reasonable efforts to use correct spelling, punctuation and grammar in all your contributions.

If you post one long blurb of text with no breaks, capital letters or punctuation of any sort, it makes your posts difficult to read. I'd also ask you to refrain from missing out words.

While your posts may be understandable to most people, bear in mind that this forum goes out to an international audience who may not have English as their first language, and I would also ask you to be mindful of people with disabilities who may be using special software or devices in order to read the forum.

Posts that do not comply are liable to be edited or deleted entirely.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaulMc7

Established Member
If First do go down the road of upgrading the likes of the 1s even more than just the new branding I think it would work out quite well given that the E300s could work on plenty of the routes in Glasgow and provide a decent level of capacity.

I don't think it will be the route they go down though. I think some routes with older vehicles will be the likely place for new vehicles. However, I believe it's anyone's guess currently which routes that would be. The likes of the 6/6A, 7/7A, 57/57A and 60/60A could be pretty interesting but I imagine the likes of the 87/88/89 routes getting new vehicles instead of seeing buses from other branded routes is also a potential avenue.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
More likely that the 1, 2 and 3 which are the gold standard in First services. From a point of view of income will get the new vehicles and the 8 year old E300 and even older B9s will be cascaded to other not so deserving services.
Exactly this. This is normally how it works. Usually the routes which see a higher turn over tend to get newer stock. It would allow the E300s which are now around 8/9 years old to be cascaded around the network and oust the Euro 3 buses.

smtglasgow

More likely that the 1, 2 and 3 which are the gold standard in First services. From a point of view of income will get the new vehicles and the 8 year old E300 and even older B9s will be cascaded to other not so deserving services.

I doubt this is the case. First have tweeted that all the buses are going to Caledonia. So that rules out the 1. With the 9 already down to go from Scotstoun to Cally, its unlikely that the 3 would also transfer, so it can probably be ruled out. No idea what proportion of the 2 runs out of Cally, but I think the allocation is skewed towards Scotstoun, so again, that would mean moving more buses into Cally. Maybe that’ll happen – you could move something the other way, obviously. I’d love to see double-deckers on the 2, but I suspect it will have to wait until another funding round when Scotstoun gets fitted out for charging.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
They’re limiting the amount of routes that could benefit from electric buses by having the charging ports only at Caledonia. I hope they move quite quickly with them into the rest of the depots soon enough.

There was talk of the 9/9A going to Caledonia in exchange for the 2. Perhaps the 2 is too long a route for electrical buses. Do we know roughly what their range is before needing charged?

smtglasgow

Perhaps the 2 is too long a route for electrical buses. Do we know roughly what their range is before needing charged?

I was wondering the same about the 1. Glasgow to Balloch is about 20 miles and the buses are going up and down all day. I know next to nothing about this, but it seems quite demanding for the current technology?? Is this the sort of route that would need another solution?

PaulMc7

Established Member
LT02NWC is still out. Seen this bus running on the 4A.
I was having a look on Bustimes.org just there. Been used on quite a range of services recently. It has even been used on the 2 on the 9th of March and also made an appearance on the 90 too in amongst everything.

Last edited:

DunsBus

Established Member
The Glasgow heritage trio is now a duo. 32657, the Strathclyde Gemini, is no more after being gutted by fire last night.

DunsBus

Established Member
First seem to be plagued with fires recently and sadly most of it has been new stock!

I’m sure given its age 33981 will be repaired while 32657 may not be so lucky!
From the photo I've seen, 32657 definitely won't be back. There's nothing of it left other than the lower deck front and side panels, together with part of the rear.

33981 is badly damaged on its nearside so I'd say that the chances of it being repaired are 50:50.

Last edited:

ScotRail158725

Established Member
From the photo I've seen, 32657 definitely won't be back. There's nothing of it left other than the lower deck front and side panels, together with part of the rear.

33981 is badly damaged on its nearside so I'd say that the chances of it being repaired are 50:50.
33981 has a lot of interior damage on the inside and thats only visible from the 2 pictures about. its probably worse than it looks and at 6 years old possible too much to repair

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

Obviously, you can only gauge so much from a few photos. 34368 had quite a bit of damage but a fair bit was in the upper saloon where there is less damage to running units and electricals. 33981 looks like it has a lot more damage to the lower deck so more damage to those units and the inherent body structure.

cnjb8

Established Member
33981 has a lot of interior damage on the inside and thats only visible from the 2 pictures about. its probably worse than it looks and at 6 years old possible too much to repair
The E400MMC is still in production remember, so depending on body damage it's more likely to be repaired then the Gemini

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The E400MMC is still in production remember, so depending on body damage it's more likely to be repaired then the Gemini
I think the poster was suggesting that the value of the vehicle may be less than the cost of repair, rather than anything else. Still being in production helps but, as I said before, we can only gauge so much from a few photos so who knows the true extent of the damage.

Fair to say that the Gemini might be a write off :lol:

route101

Established Member
Shame to see that bus go. Was a bit of fleet oddity.

I dont think there was any doubt about it still being in service? Its out practically every day except for routine maintenance.
I knew it still in service but always surprised when I do. I always think, is this the last time!

I was having a look on Bustimes.org just there. Been used on quite a range of services recently. It has even been used on the 2 on the 9th of March and also made an appearance on the 90 too in amongst everything.
90 is a Scotstoun route so not sure why its on 90.

cnjb8

Established Member
I think the poster was suggesting that the value of the vehicle may be less than the cost of repair, rather than anything else. Still being in production helps but, as I said before, we can only gauge so much from a few photos so who knows the true extent of the damage.

Fair to say that the Gemini might be a write off :lol:
To be fair, I can't find photos of them in Flickr

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I wonder if First will paint another vehicle into the Strathclyde Red livery to make up for the one that they lost. Quite a sad loss actually as it was my personal favourite of the three. I think an MMC would look good in the livery.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I wonder if First will paint another vehicle into the Strathclyde Red livery to make up for the one that they lost. Quite a sad loss actually as it was my personal favourite of the three. I think an MMC would look good in the livery.
Yes the Strathclyde Red was definitely very striking and well thought out having it on a bus with more rounded windows. It added to the vintage sort of look.

It would be nice if the E400MMC that was also damaged could be repaired and painted into the Strathclyde Red livery. Although that may be a while/if ever.

DunsBus

Established Member
Yes the Strathclyde Red was definitely very striking and well thought out having it on a bus with more rounded windows. It added to the vintage sort of look.

It would be nice if the E400MMC that was also damaged could be repaired and painted into the Strathclyde Red livery. Although that may be a while/if ever.
Remember that 32657's repaint into Strathclyde's Buses livery was in connection with the 125th anniversary of public transport in Glasgow. Yes, a shame at what's happened to it, but I doubt that another bus will be painted in its place. The bus has gone, so too has the livery.

awsnews

Given the recent noises from SPT with their vision of the future I suspect First might want to avoid further comparisons with the Strathclyde('s) Buses identity at this time.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Remember that 32657's repaint into Strathclyde's Buses livery was in connection with the 125th anniversary of public transport in Glasgow. Yes, a shame at what's happened to it, but I doubt that another bus will be painted in its place. The bus has gone, so too has the livery.

I tend to agree with you. It had two years running around and, to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised to see the others get repainted in the not too distant.

The other 2 heritage buses get a tidy up frequently enough, 37751 has just had it's wheels repainted recently so I wouldn't completely rule out another candidate bus to be repainted into Strathclyde Red.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
The other 2 heritage buses get a tidy up frequently enough, 37751 has just had it's wheels repainted recently so I wouldn't completely rule out another candidate bus to be repainted into Strathclyde Red.
37751 had a touch up along all the skirt panels after a bump

Where could I find the photo?