• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaulMc7

Established Member
189/190 back to using mostly SPT Optares
Thanks for the info. Still decent to see them not running completely empty though.

It would be handy if the app mentioned the bus type like McGill's app does. It's the one preference I have over First's though.

Thanks for the info. Still decent to see them not running completely empty though.

It would be handy if the app mentioned the bus type like McGill's app does. It's the one preference I have over First's though.
I wonder why they took the tracking off that Olympia.glitch.me website. It would be handy if they had information about the type of bus it's going to be.

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulMc7

Established Member
Wonder why they took the tracking off that Olympia.glitch.me website, would be handy if they had that Information about the type of bus it's going to be.
I absolutely agree. Having seat numbers available is good and all but with some people still incredibly anxious about sitting next to someone, knowing the type of bus would be so handy for them. By not providing that it actually runs the risk of people using other methods of transport over the bus long term.

I've seen a few people mention the fact they've swapped away from the bus lately.

I absolutely agree. Having seat numbers available is good and all but with some people still incredibly anxious about sitting next to someone, knowing the type of bus would be so handy for them. By not providing that it actually runs the risk of people using other methods of transport over the bus long term.

I've seen a few people mention the fact they've swapped away from the bus lately.
Wierd how on bustimes.org that First's buses track down south but they don't here.

route101

Established Member
Information is quite poor for the diversions in city centre. Only a few posts on the website. I had no idea where to catch the 6 to East Kilbride. Anyone know what route and stops it's serving?

I started a new job and finished at 10pm. 2, 3 and 77 I could use. The services all come around 10pm. Big gap to next service.

lastbus

Information is quite poor for the diversions in city centre. Only a few posts on the website. I had no idea where to catch the 6 to East Kilbride. Anyone know what route and stops it's serving?

I started a new job and finished at 10pm. 2, 3 and 77 I could use. The services all come around 10pm. Big gap to next service.
email customer service

PaulMc7

Established Member
Anyone been noticing certain services getting really busy at night? The 3 coming towards Drumchapel from the City Centre after 7pm in particular seems to have really picked up since the capacity increase. There seems to be a lot with 5 or less seats free through most of the week.

On the other hand, I was surprised by how quiet some of the 38s have been when I've used them. They were a bit busier on the south side of the city when I used them but on the other end they weren't busy at all.

First day on the X3 since the pandemic began too from Muirhead to Cumbernauld and it really picked up passengers from the beginning of Westfield all heading to Cumbernauld Town Centre.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Anyone been noticing certain services getting really busy at night? The 3 coming towards Drumchapel from the City Centre after 7pm in particular seems to have really picked up since the capacity increase. There seems to be a lot with 5 or less seats free through most of the week.

On the other hand, I was surprised by how quiet some of the 38s have been when I've used them. They were a bit busier on the south side of the city when I used them but on the other end they weren't busy at all.

First day on the X3 since the pandemic began too from Muirhead to Cumbernauld and it really picked up passengers from the beginning of Westfield all heading to Cumbernauld Town Centre.

Regarding the X3, was that today?

If so, the smaller operators (Dunns, Canavan Travel) were not running today as it is the Glasgow Fair Monday, and the SPT services (Stuart's of Carluke) were running a Sunday Service today.

PaulMc7

Established Member

If so, the smaller operators (Dunns, Canavan Travel) were not running today as it is the Glasgow Fair Monday, and the SPT services (Stuart's of Carluke) were running a Sunday Service today.
Yeah it was this afternoon. Yeah I noticed the 147A at the Craiglinn Interchange when it would be the 247 even on a Saturday service. Cumbernauld was pretty busy to be fair and even most of the bus stops coming back were a bit busy although we got an X37 back into Glasgow instead of the X3 which had about 10-12 other passengers.

route101

Established Member

It caught me out yesterday. I was waiting for X11 on Cathedral St, noticed it was Saturday service and the first X11 was not for another hour.

I noticed my 6 was busy on Sunday night around 2240. It was running ten minutes late.

Yesterday morning, my 6 from East Kilbride was full for most of the way into town. The Saturday timetable has longer gaps before 8am. People were standing but not keen to sit next to someone on the bus, which was an E300.

KGGXXXY

Caught me out yesterday. I was waiting for X11 on Cathedral St, noticed it was Saturday service and the first X11 was not for another hour.

I noticed my 6 was busy on Sunday night around 2240. Was running ten minutes late.

Yesterday morning, my 6 from East Kilbride was full for most of the way into town. Saturday timetable has longer gaps before 8am. People were standing but not keen to sit next to someone on the bus. Was a E300.
It caught me out too. I don't understand why First Glasgow are even counting the fair as a holiday these days; it's not like everyone is off when they shut the shipyards and factories to go down the water.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The BAE systems and even a lot of the other South Street businesses rarely ever seem to be affected by any holidays in Scotland anymore. There are always a lot of coaches picking up people and then the 1s especially end up really busy coming from the city centre in the morning.

route101

Established Member
The BAE systems and even a lot of the other South Street businesses rarely ever seem to be affected by any holidays in Scotland anymore. Always a lot of coaches picking up people and then the 1s especially end up really busy coming from the city centre in the morning.
Buchanan Bus Station had a fair few coaches heading to Blackpool ( Can think of nicer places to go)

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Just a quick question on the E200EVs and E400EVs coming to Glasgow. What is the seating capacity on them compared the Glasgow’s current single and double deck stock? The E200EVs look shorter than the buses they’re replacing.

cnjb8

Established Member
Just a quick question on the E200EVs and E400EVs coming to Glasgow. What is the seating capacity on them compared the Glasgow’s current single and double deck stock? The E200EVs look shorter than the buses they’re replacing.
The EVs will be shorter, they aren’t as long as the B7RLEs they are replacing. The maximum seating capacity on a E200EV is 40 seats I think

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
First have definitely got rid of social distancing in board.

Both yesterday and tonight with the football being back at Ibrox, the 9 and 10 were full and that was with standing.

PaulMc7

Established Member

Both yesterday and tonight with the football being back at Ibrox, the 9 and 10 were full and that was with standing.
There's not really a lot a driver can do on their own especially with football fans and I say that as a football fan. In particular that's why some of the complaints about them online are laughable to read.

Even a lot of the mask and distancing complaints are pretty unreasonable. The only thing drivers can do is just to drive the bus and get on with the journey.

Noticed it on some of the buses I've used lately even during the day. There's been people standing on a few occasions and people would rather blame the driver over the people who shouldn't be standing.

Hopefully we get full capacity back on the 9th if the easing of restrictions goes to plan. When that happens people will soon realise there's not much that's valid to complain about.

I have noticed over the lasyt couple of weeks that the "do not use" seats labels have disappeared.

There has been no change to current restricted numbers yet. I was on a 1 yesterday from town which had around 40 passengers seated and standing. Eventually the driver decided it was full.

It's nothing to do with football this was early evening when the service winds down.

Volvodart

Established Member
The seats next to the driver should still be covered up. Also, all side facing seats should also have labels, but here in Aberdeen at least a good few still have the ones uncovered from the previous capacity arrangements.

route101

Established Member
Evening buses can be busy on sunny summer nights. Every 30 minutes service, sometimes is not adequate.

I noticed the B7TLs President bodied(?) have moved to Caley. Was out today, filming causing buses to run in pairs.

Last edited:

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Evening buses can be busy on sunny summer nights. Every 30 minutes service, sometimes is not adequate.

I noticed the B7TLs President bodied(?) have moved to Caley. Was out today, filming causing buses to run in pairs.
Yes saw a few on the 4. Didn’t realise they were coming over also. The X8 is being run mainly by the ex-FSE B9TLs that came over a few years back.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Yes saw a few on the 4. Didn’t realise they were coming over also. The X8 is being run mainly by the ex-FSE B9TLs that came over a few years back.
I managed to get a 38 branded bus on the X8 from Silverburn into the city centre last week. It was quite a surprise at the time

ScotRail158725

Established Member
I managed to get a 38 branded bus on the X8 from Silverburn into the city centre last week. It was quite a surprise at the time
Those MMCs are quite rapid. Had 34362 the other week on the X8 and it was easily up to 50+mph by the end of the slip road off Silverburn. Those SO68s and SK19s perform much better than their other counterparts in Glasgow anyway.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Those MMCs are quite rapid. Had 34362 the other week on the X8 and it was easily up to 50+mph by the end of the slip road off Silverburn. Those SO68s and SK19s perform much better than their other counterparts in Glasgow anyway.
They've been as quick as anything I've been on recently that either covers a motorway or the Clydeside Expressway. Just getting a 1 of any sort that goes into the outside lane and does anything of a decent speed to stay on time is so rare these days. Think the double deckers especially are struggling a bit with the expressway now although the E300s aren't that much better.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Cummins ISB engines post 67 plate were revised to produce more low end torque, hence the newer E400MMCs are significantly faster, the difference in performance between the 16 plates and 19/21 plates here is pretty astonishing.

The Smart Hybrid ones are certainly a lot quicker than the regular Cummins, the same engine in both models but the Smart Hybrid absolutely flies up hills.