• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

fgwrich

Established Member
As seen on Facebook, former First Glasgow MMCs SN65OFX and SN65OFV down in Barton Park Eastleigh last night, presumably for a repaint into First Cymru?

Attachments

• BA94C439-3C78-49AA-9FF7-9D087863E025.jpeg
    BA94C439-3C78-49AA-9FF7-9D087863E025.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 67
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
Any route that is busy during the day off peak. 75 certainly and I would say the 18. The 6 i would be put in the no camp.

Not sure if was just me but no buses were tracking with live times on the app today. Google maps wasn't showing times either.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Any route that is busy during the day off peak. 75 certainly and I would say the 18. The 6 i would be put in the no camp.

Not sure if was just me but no buses were tracking with live times on the app today. Google maps wasn't showing times either.
It is still like that just now. The bus is on the map but no live times. The app seems to not be able to handle public holidays because it has been the same with a few of them this year

route101

Established Member
It is still like that just now. The bus is on the map but no live times. The app seems to not be able to handle public holidays because it has been the same with a few of them this year
I thought it was due to the holidays. I don't have any buses on showing on the map.

PaulMc7

Established Member
In terms of profitable routes, one thing I've noticed is how many 60/60As and 61s seem to be missing each day. Given that large parts of the route are incredibly well used I'm amazed that there's never any priority to these services whatsoever. A service change to address what is currently missing is badly needed soon though.

Unfortunately for there to be a reliable network with low cancellations I do see a lot of cuts being needed still. I do feel that Glasgow has seen more new drivers than most of Scotland given that I've seen loads of them but there's definitely underlying issues with keeping drivers.

Management is always a problem because you very often find in all industries that people get into positions in management for being good at the job and not being good with people which is something that badly needs to change especially as it's 2022 and people will quit more than ever if they're mistreated

duffers2324

I had used checked First's journey planner and used Traveline Scotland which advised me to use the 75 at 1140 and then get the 60 from Cowcaddens around 1215 in order for a journey up to Clydebank, Waited on 75 at Milton and 1140 service didn't turn up, so decided to walk to Lambhill and get the 8 from there to Maryhill and catch the 60 further up Maryhill at 1230.

Alas no 1230 60 turned up either and didnt arrive until 1250, a guy who was stood with me at the bus stop waiting on the 60 said he had waited about an hour before the bus came, and several hours the other night before someone came to pick him up.

It really is a roulette just now with public transport right now with this new temporary timetable with Scotrail right now or using buses that may or may not turn up and arent much better than the train either at the moment when it comes to services in the evening. It is all really a bit ridiculous getting.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I had used checked First's journey planner and used Traveline Scotland which advised me to use the 75 at 1140 and then get the 60 from Cowcaddens around 1215 in order for a journey up to Clydebank, Waited on 75 at Milton and 1140 service didn't turn up, so decided to walk to Lambhill and get the 8 from there to Maryhill and catch the 60 further up Maryhill at 1230.

Alas no 1230 60 turned up either and didnt arrive until 1250, a guy who was stood with me at the bus stop waiting on the 60 said he had waited about an hour before the bus came, and several hours the other night before someone came to pick him up.

It really is a roulette just now with public transport right now with this new temporary timetable with Scotrail right now or using buses that may or may not turn up and arent much better than the train either at the moment when it comes to services in the evening. It is all really a bit ridiculous getting.
The problem with First is that instead of running what they actually could when they made changes in March and April, they set services at a level that was reliant on getting new drivers in and ready to go very quickly.

Most people could tell cancellations would still happen but management didn't get things right at all. The lack of communication is another thing that's unacceptable too especially for the biggest operation in the country that First operate

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
In terms of profitable routes, one thing I've noticed is how many 60/60As and 61s seem to be missing each day. Given that large parts of the route are incredibly well used I'm amazed that there's never any priority to these services whatsoever. A service change to address what is currently missing is badly needed soon though.

Unfortunately for there to be a reliable network with low cancellations I do see a lot of cuts being needed still. I do feel that Glasgow has seen more new drivers than most of Scotland given that I've seen loads of them but there's definitely underlying issues with keeping drivers.

Management is always a problem because you very often find in all industries that people get into positions in management for being good at the job and not being good with people which is something that badly needs to change especially as it's 2022 and people will quit more than ever if they're mistreated
Duke Street can't even be used as a traffic excuse now as it's quietened down a lot during COVID and hasn't really recovered.

Missing 60s/41s are putting a lot of pressure on routes like the 46 (which has just lost most of its deckers to now be electric singles), meaning that it struggles even more now with timekeeping than it did in the past .

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulMc7

Established Member
Off to a great start this week. My 2 this morning didn't run and then I missed one after work with it being early and it was only going to Scotstoun. The poor thing with managment of the situation that irks me is the amount of buses at peak times that go missing. Reducing off peak frequencies to make sure peak journeys are covered is a must IMO.

Off to a great start this week. My 2 this morning didn't run and then I missed one after work with it being early and it was only going to Scotstoun. The poor thing with managment of the situation that irks me is the amount of buses at peak times that go missing. Reducing off peak frequencies to make sure peak journeys are covered is a must IMO.
Which is probably when the vast numbers of the passengers commute.
2s can regularly arrive like elephants. With 3 or 4 at a time. With the first one heaving and the others hanging back scared to pass and get passengers. Little wonder you wait for ages and then 3 turn up.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Which is probably when the vast numbers of the passengers commute.
2s can regularly arrive like elephants. With 3 or 4 at a time. With the first one heaving and the others hanging back scared to pass and get passengers. Little wonder you wait for ages and then 3 turn up.
The 2 and 3 in particular are horrendous for bunching up especially at Partick. The design of the bus station actually causes more problems than it solves

The 2 and 3 in particular are horrendous for bunching up especially at Partick. The design of the bus station actually causes more problems than it solves
Invariably at Partick one of each stop at their stance. If no passengers are alighting the others pass on by. Nothing really more suitable than that. So long as they pass on by. The problem most of the time they don't and continue to hang back. What's needed there is a resident Service Manager. To sort out the bunching.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Invariably at Partick one of each stop at their stance. If no passengers are alighting the others pass on by. Nothing really more suitable than that. So long as they pass on by. The problem most of the time they don't and continue to hang back. What's needed there is a resident Service Manager. To sort out the bunching.
The problem is the lack of space for one bus to get out by the one infront plus more and more seem to wait now til one bus moves to use their stance. There was a day I was on a 2 behind another and it was close to 10 mins by the time mines got to stop and leave. I fully agree about needing a service manager. It would work for their breaks too given the office space they now have on Dumbarton Road too now

The problem is the lack of space for one bus to get out by the one infront plus more and more seem to wait now til one bus moves to use their stance. There was a day I was on a 2 behind another and it was close to 10 mins by the time mines got to stop and leave. I fully agree about needing a service manager. It would work for their breaks too given the office space they now have on Dumbarton Road too now
Problem at Partick bus station is it was an SPT Design and build. Not really built with Companies in mind. More an interchange to other modes of transport.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Problem at Partick bus station is it was an SPT Design and build. Not really built with Companies in mind. More an interchange to other modes of transport.
Sadly that is very true. Govan seems significantly better in comparison.

Speaking of which, First have randomly decided to turn all 34As to 34s from Sunday 12th June.

PaulMc7

Established Member
There are also service changes from 12th June, it is all Caledonia (Larkfield) routes being amended: https://www.firstbus.co.uk/greater-glasgow/plan-journey/temporary-service-levels

(see any route with "From Sunday 12th June" written in pink)
I must admit these seem a lot less harsh than the number of buses missing lately. Nothing outrageous to be honest. I wonder if this will lead to a change from a different depot every 2 weeks like the last time Caledonia made changes first. It was literally March 13th, 27th then April 10th

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation

Speaking of which, First have randomly decided to turn all 34As to 34s from Sunday 12th June.

Tbf the 34 ran this way during lockdown and it actually makes sense as it is the only daytime link from Govan interchange to the hospital.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Tbf the 34 ran this way during lock down and it actually makes sense it is the only day time link from govan interchange to the hospital
It's more the renumbering timing than anything I'm surprised by. It's strange how they waited so long instead of just making it the 34 immediately

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Tbf the 34 ran this way during lockdown and it actually makes sense as it is the only daytime link from Govan interchange to the hospital.
I'm no Glasgow expert but the First 90, Stagecoach X19 and McGills 23 all go from Govan to the QEUH too? Unless you're referring to another hospital, of course

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Route One reported earlier that First are expanding the charging facilities at Caledonia depot to cater for 350 vehicles.

First Glasgow has opened plans with Ofgem and Scottish Power Energy Networks to expand battery-electric charging capacity at its Caledonia depot to 350 vehicles.

It comes after existing infrastructure work there, partially funded by the Scottish Ultra Low Emission Bus Scheme and which will allow up to 150 battery-electric buses to be charged at one time, was completed.

The subsequent upgrade efforts will see the construction of a new substation to provide sufficient power for an additional 200 battery-electric vehicles. Caledonia is already the UK’s largest DC electric vehicle rapid charging centre, the operator claims.

98 BYD ADL Enviro200EV and Enviro400EV battery-electric buses are already in operation from the site to the south of Glasgow city centre. When 52 more zero-emission buses are delivered by December, half of Caledonia’s allocation will have transitioned away from diesel.

First Glasgow says that Caledonia’s transformation will not only support its own battery-electric fleet, but also act as a group-wide ‘pathfinder’ project and help other organisations in the city to decarbonise. The bus operator is thus currently trialling the use of Caledonia’s infrastructure by other businesses during the day, when it would otherwise lie unutilised.

Jordan Adam

Established Member

I wouldn't say it's random. The 34 no longer operates so it makes sense to renumber the 34A.
Route One reported earlier that First are expanding the charging facilities at Caledonia depot to cater for 350 vehicles.

First have recently released a pair of promotional videos to go along with this announcement.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member

This is great news but its concerning how many E400EVs are being ordered considering their range and some of the route lengths from Caledonia.

At present many routes are being run by a mixture of diesels and electrics but very few are 100% converted to electric based on range. I wonder if there are plans in the pipeline to consider other options with longer range. Scotstoun are rumoured to be seeing Yutongs for the 2 & 3 which makes sense but there’s been no other mention of higher range deckers which could be problematic.

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
I'm no Glasgow expert but the First 90, Stagecoach X19 and McGills 23 all go from Govan to the QEUH too? Unless you're referring to another hospital, of course
90 doesn't go inside the hospital plus most people use first bus
The x19 doesn't go in to govan interchange neither does McGill's 23 both serve stops just outside the interchange (traveling public are lazy and usually only want to use the easiest route)

Part of the issue at partick is that the station doesn't feel like it was designed to be used as a terminus it feels like the design is for buses to arrive drop off pick up and depart with no dwell time

Govan is designed more as a terminus point
This is maybe why SPT insist the 190 / 189 start and finish at govan

ScotRail158725

Established Member
The x19 doesn't go in to govan interchange neither does McGill's 23 both serve stops just outside the interchange (traveling public are lazy and usually only want to use the easiest route)
What is the point you’re making? They still stop at the Bus Station just on the main road

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
What is the point you’re making? They still stop at the Bus Station just on the main road
Yes but most people don't know they're there.
It's the same at any bus station - if you don't go in to the station less people will interchange.
Also the vast majority of people who don't have concessionary passes will have all days, weeklies etc for First Glasgow.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
90 doesn't go inside the hospital plus most people use first bus
Yes but most people don't know they're there.
It's the same at any bus station - if you don't go in to the station less people will interchange.
Also the vast majority of people who don't have concessionary passes will have all days, weeklies etc for First Glasgow.
They stop right outside the interchange though :rolleyes: It sounds like this is a passenger issue rather than something for First Glasgow to fix...

The point I was trying to make is that the 34(A) is not the only bus from Govan to the QEUH, and that's been proven