• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Splitting hairs a bit, but that's a 75 branded one. Tracking would suggest 33215 was also on the 500 today
My absolute pet hate with the route branding, for those who say the 41 & 75 yellow is a different yellow are the ones splitting hairs.

The bus allocations at Caledonia are quite frankly pathetic for assigning buses, the floor plan during the afternoon shunting must be a headache for all this route branding.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
The bus allocations at Caledonia are quite frankly pathetic for assigning buses, the floor plan during the afternoon shunting must be a headache for all this route branding.
There are currently 49 buses branded for the 38, and the PVR is currently only 27, which explains why so many 38 branded vehicles are used elsewhere (usually on the "North" routes)

I think it's exacerbated at the moment with the driver shortages which means buses are being run in to the depots throughout the day, then being put back out on anything

PaulMc7

Established Member
There are currently 49 buses branded for the 38, and the PVR is currently only 27, which explains why so many 38 branded vehicles are used elsewhere (usually on the "North" routes)

I think it's exacerbated at the moment with the driver shortages which means buses are being run in to the depots throughout the day, then being put back out on anything
Scotstoun is like this with the reductions to the 2 and 3 to be fair. Every time I seen an X4 or a 6 it's usually a bus from those

ScotRail158725

Established Member

A number of the 38 MMCs are or at least were supposed to be repainted like 34380 was.

Last edited by a moderator:

stevenedin

I think they should just scrap route branding. It is not working in its current form. Every route branded bus in First seems to be on other routes most of the time. That’s all over. You even have route branded buses in some divisions for routes that no longer exist.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
A number of the 38 MMCs are or at least were supposed to be repainted like 34380 was.
Is the plan still for the remaining 65 plate E400MMCs to all move to Blantyre and the ex-38 branded ones to be branded up for the X3/X85 and X87?

Does anyone know if the plan is for all the E200MMCs branded for the 34/34A to move to Lanarkshire also. I’ve noticed some are still at Caledonia.

I think they should just scrap route branding. It is not working in its current form. Every route branded bus in First seems to be on other routes most of the time. That’s all over. You even have route branded buses in some divisions for routes that no longer exist.
I believe First should have a uniform livery. The local livery was a nice idea but they must be wasting literally thousands of pounds with constant repaints. They also don’t have a very good forward plan with buses being repainted then transferred months later only to be repainted again.

stevenedin

Is the plan still for the remaining 65 plate E400MMCs to all move to Blantyre and the ex-38 branded ones to be branded up for the X3/X85 and X87?

Does anyone know if the plan is for all the E200MMCs branded for the 34/34A to move to Lanarkshire also. I’ve noticed some are still at Caledonia.

I believe First should have a uniform livery. The local livery was a nice idea but they must be wasting literally thousands of pounds with constant repaints. They also don’t have a very good forward plan with buses being repainted then transferred months later only to be repainted again.
I agree. I’ve noticed all over First recently they are repainting buses all over the place into liveries that are sometimes not even anywhere near what looks like a standard livery. At least First Glasgow, Aberdeen, Scotland East are similar apart from the purple, green or blue colours. Although the badgerline livery is nice. Do they really need all of that extra green. They could just have it at the back so it can easily be repainted.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I agree. I’ve noticed all over First recently they are repainting buses all over the place into liveries that are sometimes not even anywhere near what looks like a standard livery. At least First Glasgow, Aberdeen, Scotland East are similar apart from the purple, green or blue colours. Although the badgerline livery is nice. Do they really need all of that extra green. They could just have it at the back so it can easily be repainted.
You've just noticed? Fleets have been allowed to have their own schemes for some years.

It's a policy to devolve local identities and decision making to the individual OpCos; something that people were crying out for 10+ years ago.

PaulMc7

Established Member
It looks like the 2 might need a cut or two to actually operate all journeys. On Monday my bus didn't run and yesterday and today it only ran to Scotstoun. I also seen a couple towards Faifley only running to Scotstoun too

Jarcoed

My absolute pet hate with the route branding, for those who say the 41 & 75 yellow is a different yellow are the ones splitting hairs.

I think First is the worst for allocating vehicles on routes. It's all over the place so you get anything on any route really. I certainly think the route branding would be better use if they actually put those buses on the route they are supposed to be used for. Especially with the 2 branded being used on the X4, 6, 16 and 90 which has been causing Gemini's and E400 (MMC) being used on the 2.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I think First is the worst for allocating vehicles on routes. It's all over the place so you get anything on any route really. I certainly think the route branding would be better use if they actually put those buses on the route they are supposed to be used for. Especially with the 2 branded being used on the X4, 6, 16 and 90 which has been causing Gemini's and E400 (MMC) being used on the 2.
The problem is the 2 has gone from every 8 mins to 12 so there's plenty spare currently and it's started to see more double deckers. Their allocating has always been questionable but right now I'd take everything running regardless of what is on it but that requires adjusted timetables that don't seem to be coming anytime soon. Only 2 days from 5 this week did my bus actually run fully. It seemed to be fine most of the time before that too but the 2s reliability has dropped significantly

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
The reason deckers are being used on the 2 is because the frequency has been slashed and the E300s won’t be able to cope with the capacity on their own. It makes more sense to use newer singles on routes like the X4, 6, 16 and 90 which will probably happen once the B7RLEs are ousted and the new Yutongs arrive for the 2 & 3.

The subject of route branding discussion has come up a lot and particularly in Glasgow. Personally I think the route branding looks good and from a visual perspective makes the livery look more complete. I just think Glasgow is too big an area to be that specific. Too many routes are branded and also too many buses are branded. Caledonia is a huge depot and it must be hard to get all the buses out and on the correct route. I think a standard First livery works the best and saves so much time and money. There’s FSE ex-Glasgow branded B7RLEs still going around Falkirk/Stirling etc. Most E400MMCs are branded for the wrong routes and many 7/7A branded buses are running around on the 34/34A. It’s a mess. Nice in theory but not for a city as big as Glasgow.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Especially with the 2 branded being used on the X4, 6, 16 and 90 which has been causing Gemini's and E400 (MMC) being used on the 2.
The 2s buses are used elsewhere because the 2 is using deckers just now with its reduced frequency not the other way around

route101

Established Member
Was on 6 at Anniesland and with no driver it had to run back into the depot.

Noticed a few drivers explain the tap and cap. Some people weren't keen. Can you still get a paper all day ticket?

PaulMc7

Established Member
If First are smart, the 60A won't have buses missing tomorrow. All trains seem to be cancelled due to their driver shortage from Milngavie

route101

Established Member
The 21 seems to still be operated Caley depot. 38 branded E400mmcs and even a E400ev on the route.

I have noticed the tap out reader on a few buses is not working.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The 21 seems to still be operated Caley depot. 38 branded E400mmcs and even a E400ev on the route.

I have noticed the tap out reader on a few buses is not working.
I'm surprised it stayed at Caley to be honest but Blantyre seemed to be the worst hit depot for driver shortages at one point so I can see why it never changed.

Caley seems to now be worse though and it isn't a surprise given that there hasn't been any changes since March now for services out of Caley.

I also seen a picture on Flickr of an EV branded for the 7 on the 21 too but it does seem to get quite a range of buses on it.

Stef434

That's because it is
It's possibly going back to Blantyre after the tenders are gone (unless SPT have no takers, then the loaded gun is in First's hands). Also, Lanarkshire route branded buses are slowly being de-branded. (Please stop going on about branded buses)

If the tap out reader is not working, simply use the main ticket machine reader as not all buses are fitted with secondary reader.

PaulMc7

Established Member
What tenders will First have left after mid July as it stands? It's not many as far as I can think of

Stef434

What tenders will First have left after mid July as it stands? It's not many as far as I can think of
If there are no suitable operators to tender based on staffing issues etc. SPT returning to FIG to submit a tender is a possibility and the ball is in First's hands to negotiate a deal in their favour; from experience this happened with FSE. Because First don't tender doesn't mean they're out. I am hearing Lanarkshire SPT tenders are gone and there is no decision as yet on 251/93. Glasgow are adamant they want to go back to basics and concentrate on core services that make money. There will be a cull.

PaulMc7

Established Member
If there are no suitable operators to tender based on staffing issues etc. SPT returning to FIG to submit a tender is a possibility and the ball is in First's hands to negotiate a deal in their favour; from experience this happened with FSE. Because First don't tender doesn't mean they're out. I am hearing Lanarkshire SPT tenders are gone and there is no decision as yet on 251/93. Glasgow are adamant they want to go back to basics and concentrate on core services that make money. There will be a cull.
July/August is usually common for service changes so it does fit in with what I expected to be honest. Thank you for the information.

route101

Established Member
I'm surprised it stayed at Caley to be honest but Blantyre seemed to be the worst hit depot for driver shortages at one point so I can see why it never changed.

Caley seems to now be worse though and it isn't a surprise given that there hasn't been any changes since March now for services out of Caley.

I also seen a picture on Flickr of an EV branded for the 7 on the 21 too but it does seem to get quite a range of buses on it.
The route passed by Caley so makes sense to stay.

I used a day ticket on the app but my bank card is in my mobile phone case, worried my bank card is getting charged.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
On Saturday when I had a run into Glasgow, I had noticed a new out of service electric single deck bus that the bus I was on had overtook westbound on the M8 (between Junction 13 Provan Road/M80 and Junction 15 Townhead/Royal Infirmary).

Returning home later, I had spotted an out of service branded 41 double deck heading westbound between the same junctions.

Were both returning back from somewhere like Easterhouse, as that is the only logical explanation I can think of (Easterhouse/The Fort is close to the M8)?

smtglasgow

Been off work for a few months on paternity leave, so haven’t been using or thinking about buses much. But going back to work last week it was obvious that all is far from well with First. Still lots of missing buses and buses turning short (2s and 3s only going to Scotstoun, a 7 going to Victoria Rd, a 267 to Blantyre). While I was off work, I was out running quite a bit and kept seeing the training buses out and about, so are First still losing drivers quicker than they can train them?

The economy is still running very hot - more vacancies than candidates – and even if things slow down over the summer (because we’re all skint!), it could be into next year before there’s a serious pool of labour looking for work as drivers.

Can the current frequencies cope with the number of passengers? I was on some seriously busy buses last week and the town seems busier than it was a few months ago. Having so many of the most important services at 15 minute frequencies is unavoidable if there are no drivers, but it’s not sustainable – people will find another way to travel.

Maybe First need to be brutal and ditch the quieter bits of the network – I’m thinking Duntocher, Shotts, some of the Hamilton locals, the 4/4A beyond Clarkston, the 38E. Use the drivers saved to up frequencies of the main network. They would get pelters from the press and MSPs etc, but it would only affect a tiny number of passengers.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
On Saturday when I had a run into Glasgow, I had noticed a new out of service electric single deck bus that the bus I was on had overtook westbound on the M8 (between Junction 13 Provan Road/M80 and Junction 15 Townhead/Royal Infirmary).

Returning home later, I had spotted an out of service branded 41 double deck heading westbound between the same junctions.

Were both returning back from somewhere like Easterhouse, as that is the only logical explanation I can think of (Easterhouse/The Fort is close to the M8)?
Yes they’ll have been returning empty to the depot

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Been off work for a few months on paternity leave, so haven’t been using or thinking about buses much. But going back to work last week it was obvious that all is far from well with First. Still lots of missing buses and buses turning short (2s and 3s only going to Scotstoun, a 7 going to Victoria Rd, a 267 to Blantyre). While I was off work, I was out running quite a bit and kept seeing the training buses out and about, so are First still losing drivers quicker than they can train them?

The economy is still running very hot - more vacancies than candidates – and even if things slow down over the summer (because we’re all skint!), it could be into next year before there’s a serious pool of labour looking for work as drivers.

Can the current frequencies cope with the number of passengers? I was on some seriously busy buses last week and the town seems busier than it was a few months ago. Having so many of the most important services at 15 minute frequencies is unavoidable if there are no drivers, but it’s not sustainable – people will find another way to travel.

Maybe First need to be brutal and ditch the quieter bits of the network – I’m thinking Duntocher, Shotts, some of the Hamilton locals, the 4/4A beyond Clarkston, the 38E. Use the drivers saved to up frequencies of the main network. They would get pelters from the press and MSPs etc, but it would only affect a tiny number of passengers.
The 38E I would argue is particularly busy throughout in the morning and throughout the mid morning with people heading into town or the GRI but falls off later in the afternoon so a saving could be made there. I agree the smaller, less popular routes should be cut for the core, busier routes to be running at optimum.

Joerf21

The 38E I would argue is particularly busy throughout in the morning and throughout the mid morning with people heading into town or the GRI but falls off later in the afternoon so a saving could be made there. I agree the smaller, less popular routes should be cut for the core, busier routes to be running at optimum.

Talking about cutting services, the 81 from Duntocher can be busy. The problem is competition from Avondale, who also run a 10/ 15 mins service. I don't think it would be wise to give up services to your competitors.

smtglasgow

To be clear, I don't want them to cut *any* service, but at the moment they're damaging their most profitable services. If they only have a certain number of drivers, it makes sense to use them where they're making money. But only First know which routes/journeys make money, so I could be completely wrong in the routes to cut/reduce...