• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Is Blantrye having trouble again with staff shortages and/or sickness? The 18 and the 263 have been absolutely chronic this week with buses not turning up.

Fully appreciate that Covid is still rampant and putting things down the swanny, but having to wait nearly an hour for an 18 in the evening peak is taking the biscuit just ever so slightly.
Welcome to Worstbus I'm afraid.

I'm in no small mind to say that, the past 5 weeks have been murder at the firm, constant bus problems and management that hide away in offices.

Glasgow could be sorted out but not under current leadership.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaulMc7

Established Member
Out of what I've used over the past couple of weeks, Scotstoun and Dumbarton seem to be getting better in terms of less cancellations but Blantyre and Caledonia are far worse. I've not used much of Overtown based services to comment on there.

Out of what I've used over the past couple of weeks, Scotstoun and Dumbarton seem to be getting better in terms of less cancellations but Blantyre and Caledonia are far worse. I've not used much of Overtown based services to comment on there.
Caley is run like a circus.

You don't need to work there long to find this out.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Caley in run like a circus.

You don't need to work there long to find this out.
It has always seemed like a depot where too much goes on to be fair. The amount of services being operated out of it combined with the fact it's the paintshop for all of their Scottish operations are things that are vastly overlooked at times.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Does SPT have any authority to tell First to pull their socks up within Greater Glasgow or do they have no authority seeing as the majority of routes are commercial?

PaulMc7

Established Member
Does SPT have any authority to tell First to pull their socks up within Greater Glasgow or do they have no authority seeing as the majority of routes are commercial?
I'd imagine they don't unless First didn't operate the tenders despite being contracted to. The Scottish government and the council only ever seem to pipe up when a barely used service is axed so the only one who could step in realistically is the Traffic Commissioner although I don't know if they would given the driver shortage is UK wide.

First aren't helping themselves by not reducing buses to a managable level though. The last changes from Caledonia depot were far more minimal than they had to be and the rest of the depots haven't had another change yet although I'd be shocked if July or August didn't have one.

Hopefully the new decision to scrap the starter rate and put everyone on the higher wages from day one brings a few new drivers in quickly.

Many of the issues experienced have been decades in the making, Brexit and COVID are comfortable reasons to use for the most part.

By position Managers and Directors are placed above myself yet so many of them have never actually done my job on the front line where it matters, don’t get that right and you culminate into where we are today, there is an assumption that wages can be upped and that will solve the issues, it won’t, sometimes you quite literally have to seek a new owner or nothing changes.

I was at Livingston last week, Caley this week and from tomorrow (27th June) I’m back at Livingston, the entire week that’s passed has been murder to say the least.

But then again I’ve only got until the 11th and I’ll have an opportunity to ensure I’ll never be back at First for as long as I’ll live, it’s not as though I’ll be the First to leave, I’m one person in a long history of leavers.

Last edited by a moderator:

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Sadly it's true though. First are becoming the absolute pits when it comes to public transport within Glasgow. Lack of services, no social media updates, mobile app that's horrendous, drivers that have constant attitude problems.

If they can't run the services, then maybe they should move aside and let another operator run them.

Sadly it's true though. First are becoming the absolute pits when it comes to public transport within Glasgow. Lack of services, no social media updates, mobile app that's horrendous, drivers that have constant attitude problems.
I would implore everyone not to take this issue personally, you will find that behind depot walls is a tsunami of poor morale mostly caused by the industry in general but usually by the larger firms in the UK.

If there’s failure to see positive changes by your employer these failures only succeed in affecting your employees general mood and well-being.

If they can't run the services, then maybe they should move aside and let another operator run them.
A plausible idea but they pretty much all have the same issues internally.

Having been employed directly in the passed to the two biggest firms in the UK they have unilateral issues.

I suppose this could also be discussed over on the “Bus Services in Peril” thread as well.

Last edited:

Tom Gallacher

It has always seemed like a depot where too much goes on to be fair. The amount of services being operated out of it combined with the fact it's the paintshop for all of their Scottish operations are things that are vastly overlooked at times.
In the old days of GCT Larkfield was the major overhaul centre and paintshop for 11 depots and a fleet of about 1000 buses. They seemed to be able to cope okay back then.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I noticed the difference the start of the Summer holidays already today to be fair on the 2. My normal bus only ran to Scotstoun but even with that the next one only had 25-30 people on it in total by the time I got off at Finnieston. 3 straight E400s on the 2 around that time for good measure too.

Last edited:

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I often wonder how First went from ordering new singles for the 2 (formerly 62) to ordering the E500s in 2009. Obviously Parkhead didn’t have AD Blue tanks and they were sent to Larkfield but I wonder what made them order such high capacity deckers for the route and within the space of 3 years ordered new singles instead.

The 2 is rumoured to be seeing new Yutongs next year also which are singles but with frequency cuts it’s mainly made up of deckers these days. It’s strange how they never want to order new deckers for this route.

I often wonder how First went from ordering new singles for the 2 (formerly 62) to ordering the E500s in 2009. Obviously Parkhead didn’t have AD Blue tanks and they were sent to Larkfield but I wonder what made them order such high capacity deckers for the route and within the space of 3 years ordered new singles instead.

The 2 is rumoured to be seeing new Yutongs next year also which are singles but with frequency cuts it’s mainly made up of deckers these days. It’s strange how they never want to order new deckers for this route.
Interestingly there is a E500ev produced for the North American Market. Which would suit the 2 and 3 perfectly.

Interestingly there is a E500ev produced for the North American Market. Which would suit the 2 and 3 perfectly.
Buses going around Baillieston one-way housing estates shouldn't be any longer than a standard single decker. The E500EV is too long for this.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Did the 62 (as it was pre Simplicity) have the bendy buses on that route at some point?
Parkhead had the B10LA’s from new in 1999 and the route saw B7LAs over time too. The bendies left the route for a time and returned to Scotstoun for the 9 but the 62 saw them occasionally in the early 2010s.

The route also saw the B7L East Lanc Nordics when they were on loan to Parkhead and they seemed to manage just fine. Not to mention the ex-Hong Kong Leyland Olympian buses which were of a similar size. They saw service on the 40, 61 and 62.

Parkhead had the B10LA’s from new in 1999 and the route saw B7LAs over time too. The bendies left the route for a time and returned to Scotstoun for the 9 but the 62 saw them occasionally in the early 2010s.

The route also saw the B7L East Lanc Nordics when they were on loan to Parkhead and they seemed to manage just fine. Not to mention the ex-Hong Kong Leyland Olympian buses which were of a similar size. They saw service on the 40, 61 and 62.
Much cash was spent on the then 62 route for the extra long bendy bus. Not helped currently by people parking on the mini roundabout in Dumbarton Road Scotstoun. Which really could benefit from traffic signals to speed up traffic. Over the years some habits have been formed on the route that need to be enforced. Like parking too close to junctions and bus stops.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Much cash was spent on the then 62 route for the extra long bendy bus. Not helped currently by people parking on the mini roundabout in Dumbarton Road Scotstoun. Which really could benefit from traffic signals to speed up traffic. Over the years some habits have been formed on the route that need to be enforced. Like parking too close to junctions and bus stops.
The bus stops in Scotstoun are a magnet for people parking in them to be honest and it's always been the same. It's also why I find it bizarre that the 3 towards Drumchapel changes where it does. It makes it impossible for anything else to actually stop properly behind them. It also means people often miss other buses as the drivers just fly by.

On another note, I wouldn't be surprised if the 2 went every 15 mins with more double deckers and the 3 and 6 go every 20 mins at some point to save drivers out of Scotstoun. I also think off-peak is still quiet enough to deserve it too.

Out of other depots more cuts are absolutely needed. The likes of the 9A, 57/57A and 60/60A seem to be hammered with cancellations.

It'll be interesting to see whether the councils make any attempt to use their new powers to run their own bus services going forward.

Last edited:

The bus stops in Scotstoun are a magnet for people parking in them to be honest and it's always been the same. It's also why I find it bizarre that the 3 towards Drumchapel changes where it does. It makes it impossible for anything else to actually stop properly behind them. It also means people often miss other buses as the drivers just fly by.

On another note, I wouldn't be surprised if the 2 went every 15 mins with more double deckers and the 3 and 6 go every 20 mins at some point to save drivers out of Scotstoun. I also think off-peak is still quiet enough to deserve it too.

Out of other depots more cuts are absolutely needed. The likes of the 9A, 57/57A and 60/60A seem to be hammered with cancellations.

It'll be interesting to see whether the councils make any attempt to use their new powers to run their own bus services going forward.

There's no real reason why the 3 can change over crews at the bottom of Victoria Drive. It's probably not any further from the depot and on a much quieter street.

PaulMc7

Established Member
There's no real reason why the 3 can change over crews at the bottom of Victoria Drive. It's probably not any further from the depot and on a much quieter street.
It used to and the 9 did too when it was that instead. I've never quite understood changing it to the current setup. It then gets even more strange when you factor in that the 2 on both sides change at a bus stop that is further away.

Arriva Fan

It used to and the 9 did too when it was that instead. I've never quite understood changing it to the current setup. It then gets even more strange when you factor in that the 2 on both sides change at a bus stop that is further away.
The remote relief points is another minus for First. Ten mins, unpaid walk, to potentially wait in the cold or wet weather for a late running Bus. The X4 is the worst of all.

I used to do it, and at my current Company I don't. It's all these things they'll have to look at it if they want to attract and retain staff.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The remote relief points is another minus for First. Ten mins, unpaid walk, to potentially wait in the cold or wet weather for a late running Bus. The X4 is the worst of all.

I used to do it, and at my current Company I don't. It's all these things they'll have to look at it if they want to attract and retain staff.
To be fair, I don't there are many services where you could put their relief points in much better places. I agree with you regarding the X4 though. I'm surprised it's not at the Royal Mail office on Lincoln Avenue.

Arriva Fan

To be fair, I don't there are many services where you could put their relief points in much better places. I agree with you regarding the X4 though. I'm surprised it's not at the Royal Mail office on Lincoln Avenue.
Partick or Clydebank for 2/3. Isn't there a rest facility at X4 terminus now? Either that or staff shuttles in cars/vans to relief points.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Partick or Clydebank for 2/3. Isn't there a rest facility at X4 terminus now? Either that or staff shuttles in cars/vans to relief points.
Swapping the 2 or 3 wouldn't happen IMO given the depot is a 5 min walk max from where they change