• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Joerf21

I have been checking all around for the First Glasgow order for Yutongs and can't find any info; can anyone with the knowledge of this order confirm it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Noddy1

I saw something in Buses magazine that First in England are possibly giving orders for singled deckers to a group/firm called Arrival. I think that is speculation but if true would First Glasgow receive any of these?

I saw something in Buses magazine that First in England are possibly giving orders for singled deckers to a group/firm called Arrival. I think that is speculation but if true would First Glasgow receive any of these?
It’s very much not speculation, I know at least one First area that’s getting them in England.

None for Glasgow, unless plans change

PaulMc7

Established Member
I've never really noticed this before but Mcgills take buses that aren't running off of their app. Surely it would be so easy for First to do this? You'd think they would put the effort into doing something like this in a big area like Glasgow in terms of profitability.

I guess services like the 60/60A would look threadbare though if they showed the truth on the app. It very often seems like 2 in a row on the individual variants get cancelled on a daily basis. I've only attempted to get the 60 into Clydebank twice and both times it's failed to show too. The M60 has saved me on both occasions.

Interesting on another note, the 128 tracking on the map is clearly a double decker. I only noticed the 74 seats free.

Volvodart

Established Member
I've never really noticed this before but Mcgills take buses that aren't running off of their app. Surely it would be so easy for First to do this? You'd think they would put the effort into doing something like this in a big area like Glasgow in terms of profitability.

I guess services like the 60/60A would look threadbare though if they showed the truth on the app.

It must be fairly to take buses without capacity showing off the live times.

PaulMc7

Established Member
It must be fairly to take buses without capacity showing off the live times.
The problem is sometimes a bus has no capacity yet still turns up and vice versa. On Thursday, my bus after work was on the map but not in the list with minutes yet yesterday it was on the list with minutes but not on the map. A lot of work needs to be done with it to be honest.

Volvodart

Established Member
My suggestion would deal with a lot of the complaints they get on Twitter though.

PaulMc7

Established Member
My suggestion would deal with a lot of the complaints they get on Twitter though.
And I absolutely agree with you. It baffles me majorly as to why a company the size of First who rely on the public for income has such an awful app that works so badly and can't really be relied upon.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
47***? For the local stuff?

But I’m guessing they will appear on the 1’s at some point.
I remember when the Streetlites were new to Parkhead for the 90. They were used on the 2 a lot which is a fairly long route. I never understood the hate for them, they were decent enough buses imo.

And I absolutely agree with you. It baffles me majorly as to why a company the size of First who rely on the public for income has such an awful app that works so badly and can't really be relied upon.
Likely because it’s cheapest, the ticketer machines aren’t the best in the market either, Streetlites = Cheap.

I remember when the Streetlites were new to Parkhead for the 90. They were used on the 2 a lot which is a fairly long route. I never understood the hate for them, they were decent enough buses imo.
From a drivers perspective?

1. Heavier Steering than say a Volvo chassis bus.
2. depending on the body builder, there are irritating nuances like constant warning buzzers for no great reason other than Wrights thinking it necessary.
3. Voith gearboxes shockingly jerky, not all but many.
4. There noisy, if you travel on say an MCV Evora then back to back that with a Streetlite you immediately know the difference.

Last edited:
I appreciate this isn't to do with the immediate topic being discussed so I'll apologize now.
Is there a list anywhere of all the Glasgow/Lanarkshire routes and which vehicles typically operate them, possibly along with the daytime frequencies of the route?
Thanks.
Edit: I'm about to draw up one for Lothian Buses in Edinburgh, if anyone wants to trade? :D

DC21

I appreciate this isn't to do with the immediate topic being discussed so I'll apologize now.
Is there a list anywhere of all the Glasgow/Lanarkshire routes and which vehicles typically operate them, possibly along with the daytime frequencies of the route?
Thanks.
Edit: I'm about to draw up one for Lothian Buses in Edinburgh, if anyone wants to trade? :D
Lanarkshire wise the 240/241/242/254 are mainly Enviro 200 MMC, the odd Streetlite appears. the 266 is a mix of Enviro 200 MMC and Streetlites. The Caetano Nimbus can show up mainly on 244 if not a Solo, occasionally on the 242/242/266. Solos are 251 and 93/193 although if not its usually a 44xxx Enviro 200 MMC.

mb88

I was told the other day by someone that First do not pay drivers time for checking their bus in the morning. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Absolutely shocking if true as a walk round check is an essential part of a driver’s duties.

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
With today's diversions, I have heard several passengers commenting that the diversions are faster than the normal route and this got me thinking. Would it be worth while pulling a route out of the Gallowgate, Trongate i.e. 2, 61, 240, 255 and instead have it go Millerston Street, Cumbernauld Road , M8 , Stirling Road , Cathedral Street then either bus station / Killermont Street or normal route?

olddriver

Certainly was the case when I was there 15 years ago. You weren’t paid for the first 10 mins of your shift (find your bus, daily checks) or the last 5 mins (parking up, returning paperwork to office).

singlemalt

I was told the other day by someone that First do not pay drivers time for checking their bus in the morning. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Absolutely shocking if true as a walk round check is an essential part of a driver’s duties.
True

Spsf3232

From a driver's point of view, after 5 and a half hours behind the wheel in one you knew you had done 5 and a half hours! The same in a Volvo was refreshingly easy! Heavy steering, jerking brakes and gearbox, suspension as hard as rocks, cramped cabs and sweat boxes in the summer. The last place I drove them was Aberdeen on the 23s; hen a Volvo turned up you knew you were in for an easy day as you could catch the bus in front with ease, and sometimes the bus in front of that!

route101

Established Member
I find them a bit small and noisy. Some fleets consist of mostly streetlites such as Southampton and like 2 deckers. Consider ourselves lucky.

stevenedin

I find them a bit small and noisy. Some fleets consist of mostly streetlites such as Southampton and like 2 deckers. Consider ourselves lucky.
It’s the same with West Lothian; roughly 60-70% of their fleet consists of StreetLites.

kez19

Established Member
I was looking up on how to get to the Falkirk Wheel via First but was surprised that the ticket doesn't fall under the Glasgow section but the Falkirk/Stirling division? (this was for November) (route in question is X35/X37 departs Buchanan Bus Station).

PaulMc7

Established Member
Does anyone think there are many cuts that could be warranted just now? It's hard for me to judge off peak to be honest but on a Sunday everything seems so much quieter than it used to from experience. A Saturday seems to be the busiest day of the week.

I was looking up on how to get to the Falkirk Wheel via First but was surprised that the ticket doesn't fall under the Glasgow section but the Falkirk/Stirling division? (this was for November) (route in question is X35/X37 departs Buchanan Bus Station).
Yeah I think you need a 3+ zone day ticket, £12.90

Stef434

Lanarkshire wise the 240/241/242/254 are mainly Enviro 200 MMC, the odd Streetlite appears. the 266 is a mix of Enviro 200 MMC and Streetlites. The Caetano Nimbus can show up mainly on 244 if not a Solo, occasionally on the 242/242/266. Solos are 251 and 93/193 although if not its usually a 44xxx Enviro 200 MMC.
The Caetano has now left Overtown. The 244 is generally allocated the next smaller bus due to the housing schemes.
FG Drivers don't get paid sign on time i.e checking bus due to collective bargaining arrangements.

kez19

Established Member
Yeah I think you need a 3+ zone day ticket, £12.90

Is that via the Greater Glasgow on the app? This is curiousity here (again and apologies), if I wanted to go the Kelpies too would that ticket be included too? The day I am planning out is roughly going briefly the Wheel/Kelpies then Falkirk itself to return to Glasgow? (if this helps solve the issue).