• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

Bus Lightyear

I'm confused by what you mean to be honest? I've not used the OVO or Pride one yet but the view out of the windows on the Rockstar ones is barely worsened at all from experience.
I may have misunderstood you. If the bus has an all over advert with contravision windows you can still see out although not as well as clear windows.

The advert for Drivers Wanted does (and looks absolutely hideous, IMO)
Given the challenges currently facing the industry I would say it's worthwhile.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

XAM2175

Established Member
Somehow I don't think the buses would be allowed out on the road in that case.
I may have misunderstood you. If the bus has an all over advert with contravision windows you can still see out although not as well as clear windows.
There are absolutely First buses out with passenger windows totally blocked by standard vinyl advertising prints - the back windows most often, but more than a few on the downstairs offside too.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Maybe one of the external walls at Caledonia depot should receive the same treatment, and see how management like looking out of contravision all day ;) 8-)

Sarcasm aside, windows are for seeing out of not plastering adverts over. And let's be honest, the "challenges" the industry is facing (and has faced for almost 2 years now) is only the case for the operators that make it one.

PaulMc7

Established Member

No problem at all. I get you now I just couldn't remember what it was called but contravision was the term I was looking for and should have used in the original post.

To First's credit, the situation has improved more than I expected in recent months and will hopefully continue to do so. There was a point where I genuinely feared for a lot of services and even after the funding cut, I'm surprised more hasn't been axed. First have managed to sort out a stable network and hopefully a time will come where increases in frequency are possible again.

Bus Lightyear

There are absolutely First buses out with passenger windows totally blocked by standard vinyl advertising prints - the back windows most often, but more than a few on the downstairs offside too.
Significant numbers of Volvo Olympians for numerous operators were specified without and rear lower and upper deck windows to allow for advertising.

Maybe one of the external walls at Caledonia depot should receive the same treatment, and see how management like looking out of contravision all day ;) 8-)

Sarcasm aside, windows are for seeing out of not plastering adverts over. And let's be honest, the "challenges" the industry is facing (and has faced for almost 2 years now) is only the case for the operators that make it one.
You can still see out of the windows but I can't say I'm a fan of that style of advert application myself but it's become fairly common throughout the industry.

XAM2175

Established Member
Significant numbers of Volvo Olympians for numerous operators were specified without and rear lower and upper deck windows to allow for advertising.
Have any buses ever been specified with no windows on the offside between the front and rear axles for that same purpose?

PaulMc7

Established Member
Has there been any update on when the Yutongs are all heading north to Aberdeen? I managed to get one on the 65 this morning and then the 34 around lunchtime meaning I've now used them 4 times in total.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Has there been any update on when the Yutongs are all heading north to Aberdeen? I managed to get one on the 65 this morning and then the 34 around lunchtime meaning I've now used them 4 times in total.
I heard it could possibly be August. Some are due to head to Scotstoun before going North I believe.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I heard it could possibly be August. Some are due to head to Scotstoun before going North I believe.

Thank you for the information. I really hope that is the case so that they get thoroughly tested on the likes of the 2, 3 and 6 in particular. Yutongs just seem to fit the needs of our network a lot better than the E200EVs do.

NEW POST:

Some changes have gone through VOSA for August 6th:

• PM0000006/354 Registered​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO2) LTD
    Route: Hamilton Bus Station to Buchanan Bus Station via Uddingston, Tollcross, Parkhead
    Service number: 255
    Service type: Normal Stopping
    Effective date: 06 Aug 2023
  • PM0000006/134 Registered​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO2) LTD
    Route: Coltness/Cleland to Blantyre, Overtown or North Motherwell via Wishaw, Muirhouse
    Service number: 241
  • PM0000006/2 Registered​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO2) LTD
    Route: Hamilton Bus Station to Buchanan Bus Station
    Service number: 263

Last edited:

voidwxrranty

Thank you for the information. I really hope that is the case so that they get thoroughly tested on the likes of the 2, 3 and 6 in particular. Yutongs just seem to fit the needs of our network a lot better than the E200EVs do.

NEW POST:

Some changes have gone through VOSA for August 6th:

• PM0000006/354 Registered​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO2) LTD
    Route: Hamilton Bus Station to Buchanan Bus Station via Uddingston, Tollcross, Parkhead
    Service number: 255
  • PM0000006/134 Registered​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO2) LTD
    Route: Coltness/Cleland to Blantyre, Overtown or North Motherwell via Wishaw, Muirhouse
    Service number: 241
  • PM0000006/2 Registered​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO2) LTD
    Route: Hamilton Bus Station to Buchanan Bus Station
    Service number: 263
Hopefully this won’t destroy the evening interworks, seeing a 242 branded Enviro 200MMC on the 255 has been a nice touch the past few weeks

PaulMc7

Established Member
Hopefully this won’t destroy the evening interworks, seeing a 242 branded Enviro 200MMC on the 255 has been a nice touch the past few weeks

The biggest thing for me with both the 255 and 263 is how bad the reliability is at peak times and to be honest, the 263 during the off-peak can be a bit rough in terms of reliability too. I got a 255 into Hamilton a couple of weeks ago and it waited at multiple timing points for 6-7 minutes it was running that early due to how quiet it was. I've got the 263 a couple of times lately and it's been 10-15 minutes late at Trongate in both directions off-peak.

voidwxrranty

The biggest thing for me with both the 255 and 263 is how bad the reliability is at peak times and to be honest, the 263 during the off-peak can be a bit rough in terms of reliability too. I got a 255 into Hamilton a couple of weeks ago and it waited at multiple timing points for 6-7 minutes it was running that early due to how quiet it was. I've got the 263 a couple of times lately and it's been 10-15 minutes late at Trongate in both directions off-peak.
The 255 is my preferred way to Hamilton, it feels quicker, and also seems to be a nicer route in general.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The 255 is my preferred way to Hamilton, it feels quicker, and also seems to be a nicer route in general.

The route of it is so straight too compared to a lot of services. In terms of turns, it's that left turn onto Trongate, the roundabout at the Forge Retail Park and then the right turn onto Almada Street. I don't mind the 263 as it's quicker than the 267 to Cambuslang and the 267 is generally the busiest of the 3 hence the frequency differences. Since it went up to every 12 minutes, the 267 has been managing to keep increasing in passenger numbers from what I've seen. A lot of the double deckers tend to get very busy at times.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
It should be before then with all in service "by August" ahead of the open day at King Street on the 26th of August, they had been hoping to have the first lot in service in Aberdeen this month but there has been yet more delays with the charging infrastructure.

overthewater

Established Member
Even more changes for August: Are the night buses going?

• PM0000001/304 Cancelled​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO1) LTD
    Route: Glasgow, Sauchiehall Street to Pollok, Peat Road Roundabout via Shawlands, Carnwadric
    Service number: N57
    Effective date: 02 Aug 2023
  • PM0000001/624 Cancelled​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO1) LTD
    Route: Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow to Crookfur Road, Newton Mearns via Shawlands
    Service number: N38
  • PM0000001/301 Cancelled​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO1) LTD
    Route: City Centre Sauchiehall Street to East Kilbride Greenhills via Rutherglen, Burnside, Calderwood
    Service number: N18
  • PM0000001/242 Cancelled​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO1) LTD
    Route: Glasgow City Centre, Sauchiehall Street to Paisley Gauze Street
    Service number: N9
  • PM0000001/239 Cancelled​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO1) LTD
    Route: Glasgow City Centre - Sauchiehall Street. to Calderwood - Bosworth Road. via Battlefield, Clarkston Toll
    Service number: N6
  • PM0000001/238 Cancelled​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO1) LTD
    Route: Glasgow City Centre - Hope Street to Mountblow via Anniesland Cross, Clydebank
  • PM0000001/623 Cancelled​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO1) LTD
    Route: Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow to Easterhouse Shopping Centre via Baillieston
    Service number: N2
  • PM0000001/237 Cancelled​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO1) LTD
    Route: Glasgow City Centre - Hope Street. to Faifley via Clydebank Bus Station

Even more changes for August: Are the night buses going?

• PM0000001/304 Cancelled​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO1) LTD
    Route: Glasgow, Sauchiehall Street to Pollok, Peat Road Roundabout via Shawlands, Carnwadric
    Service number: N57
  • PM0000001/624 Cancelled​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO1) LTD
    Route: Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow to Crookfur Road, Newton Mearns via Shawlands
    Service number: N38
  • PM0000001/301 Cancelled​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO1) LTD
    Route: City Centre Sauchiehall Street to East Kilbride Greenhills via Rutherglen, Burnside, Calderwood
    Service number: N18
  • PM0000001/242 Cancelled​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO1) LTD
    Route: Glasgow City Centre, Sauchiehall Street to Paisley Gauze Street
    Service number: N9
  • PM0000001/239 Cancelled​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO1) LTD
    Route: Glasgow City Centre - Sauchiehall Street. to Calderwood - Bosworth Road. via Battlefield, Clarkston Toll
  • PM0000001/238 Cancelled​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO1) LTD
    Route: Glasgow City Centre - Hope Street to Mountblow via Anniesland Cross, Clydebank
  • PM0000001/623 Cancelled​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO1) LTD
    Route: Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow to Easterhouse Shopping Centre via Baillieston
  • PM0000001/237 Cancelled​

FIRST GLASGOW (NO1) LTD
    Route: Glasgow City Centre - Hope Street. to Faifley via Clydebank Bus Station
Wouldn’t surprise me..they can’t be that well used..

Ben Conlin

I've noticed that the last few days have been mainly/only B9TLs on the X11. Does anyone know the reason why and if it’s permanent? It has been only E400MMCs for many years now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
I'm on 67893 on the 8 and the heating is on full blast; it seemsjammed on by the feel of it.

SarahDFIG

I heard that more ex London E200s are incoming. Does anyone know what depot they are going to be allocated to? I wouldn't be surprised if they end up in Lanarkshire and Overtown/Blantyre lose E200MMCs in the process.

lastbus

I heard that more ex London E200s are incoming. Does anyone know what depot they are going to be allocated to? I wouldn't be surprised if they end up in Lanarkshire and Overtown/Blantyre lose E200MMCs in the process.
Dumbarton

route101

Established Member
The route of it is so straight too compared to a lot of services. In terms of turns, it's that left turn onto Trongate, the roundabout at the Forge Retail Park and then the right turn onto Almada Street. I don't mind the 263 as it's quicker than the 267 to Cambuslang and the 267 is generally the busiest of the 3 hence the frequency differences. Since it went up to every 12 minutes, the 267 has been managing to keep increasing in passenger numbers from what I've seen. A lot of the double deckers tend to get very busy at times.
267 is a mixture of E200MMCS and E400MMCS. Prefer the train to Hamilton, cheaper and half the time.

lastbus

Do you know where the StreetLites will be heading?
2 already at Blantyre however they were supposed to be heading to Overtown with the 63*** ones there going to Sheffield but I don’t know if that plan has changed or not will try and find out.

The first of Scotstoun electric buses out in service today.

OVER 200 FIRST GLASGOW BUSES NOW EMISSION FREE​

Scotstoun%20Electrification_0.jpg

First Glasgow’s bus fleet will soon have over 200 emission free vehicles, following the delivery of the first new electric buses to the operator’s Scotstoun depot this week.

The first of 50 new electric vehicles will be seen out in service around the city from today (Monday 3rd July) and are set to save over 3,000 tonnes of CO2e per year as they replace older diesel buses.

To accommodate these new zero-emission arrivals to the fleet, a year of significant works in Glasgow’s Scotstoun depot to install necessary infrastructure and 27 dual headed rapid charging points is now complete.

The 50 new electric vehicles, provided by Larbert based vehicle manufacturer Alexander Dennis Ltd, are fitted with market-leading lithium iron phosphate batteries boasting a range of over 370km on a single, three-hour charge.

As well as providing an environmentally friendly way to travel round the city, passengers in Glasgow will also benefit from greater levels of comfort with the new buses, with lower noise levels and full air conditioning fitted throughout.

Duncan Cameron, Managing Director at First Bus Scotland, said: “The arrival of these buses marks the latest in our series of steps to decarbonise our operations as we aim to be emission free by 2035.

“We are incredibly proud to bring more sustainable travel to Glasgow, and I’m sure it will encourage even more people to leave their cars behind in favour of environmentally conscious bus travel that will help to reduce congestion and improve air quality in our city.

“We’re looking forward to hearing feedback from our customers as we continue our investment into greener travel.”

The delivery has been supported by Transport Scotland through its Scottish Zero Emission Bus (ScotZEB) funding, a challenge fund to support the industry’s swift transition to zero emission vehicles and infrastructure.

Transport Minister Fiona Hyslop MSP said: “I was delighted to visit the First depot as one of my first engagements in my new post and see these new electric buses for myself.

“The bus is currently one of the most climate friendly transport choices the public can make, and the Scottish Government is committed to decarbonising the full fleet as we encourage more people to leave their cars at home and choose more sustainable ways to travel.

“Earlier this year we launched the second phase of the Scottish Zero Emission Bus Challenge Fund, with up to £58 million available, and it’s both exciting and encouraging to see the industry rising to the challenge and working with us to tackle the global climate emergency.”

More electric vehicles will also be joining First Bus’s operations further afield, with First Aberdeen depot expected to receive 24 new electric vehicles this summer.