• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Scotland East (Midland Bluebird and West Lothian operations)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulMc7

Established Member
To be quite honest, I do wonder if a point will come for management thinking that enough is enough in West Lothian. It does seem hit harder than most areas covered by any big company. Concession reimbursement being poor, under 22 pass reimbursement being poor, major driver shortages, a fleet in a fairly poor condition and multiple services from pre-covid gone with others slashed a lot.

The 23/X23, 26A and 27 are all fully gone now and the 21 has taken a fair hit too. It's bad enough in an area with one big company but when there are 2 I do feel for residents more than anything.

I'd have focused on consolidating West Lothian and ditching journeys to Edinburgh with what they have but I don't see any major shakeup like that happening now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JurassicMan

I do wonder if a point will come for management thinking enough is enough in West Lothian to be quite honest and it does seem hit harder than most areas covered by any big company. Concession reimbursement being poor, under 22 pass reimbursement being poor, major driver shortages, a fleet in a fairly poor condition and multiple services from pre-covid gone with others slashed a lot.

The 23/X23, 26A and 27 all fully gone now and the 21 has taken a fair hit too. It's bad enough in an area with one big company but when there are 2 I do feel for residents more than anything.

I'd have focused on consolidating West Lothian and ditching journeys to Edinburgh with what they have but I don't see any major shakeup like that happening now.
It is not going anywhere; the cuts were made out of necessity but have been mostly covered by Bright Bus Tours monies.

There are now more under 22s travelling on First services than prior to the concession card being introduced when First were in some places double the price of competition, so that's no doubt helped. Over 60s will get on the bus that arrives unless specific destination is required. There are millions of pounds to be had in these schemes.

Driver shortages will be almost sorted once the 20 ,63 and 68 services are either gone or as more likely now they are reduced. There is also a recruitment drive ongoing, although it would seem a bigger issue is retaining people once the training is done but it would seem all companies are having difficulty with driver numbers and convincing people its a career worth having these days.

It is highly likely once government funding ends there will be massive changes in a lot of areas. West Lothian will be no different and as for focus on West Lothian by First, that may depend if the competitor from Edinburgh decides to focus on Edinburgh, otherwise its highly unlikely.

PaulMc7

Established Member
It is not going anywhere,the cuts were made out of necessity but have been mostly covered by BBT monies .

There are now more under 22s travelling on First services than prior to the concession card being introduced when First were in some places double the price of competition so that's no doubt helped,over 60s will get on the bus that arrives unless specific destination is required. There are millions of pounds to be had in these schemes.

Driver shortages will be almost sorted once the 20 ,63 and 68 services are either gone or as more likely now they are reduced ,there is also a recruitment drive ongoing although it would seem a bigger issue is retaining people once the training is done but it would seem all companies are having difficulty with driver numbers and convincing people its a career worth having these days.

It is highly likely once government funding ends there will be massive changes in a lot of areas,West Lothian will be no different, as for focus on West Lothian by First that may depend if the competitor from Edinburgh decides to focus on Edinburgh ,otherwise its highly unlikely.
Thank you for your input. The problem seems to be more of a thing in industries that deal with the public so I'm not surprised by how hard it has hit. Going by previous comments on here regarding the depot and management that's more where the major red flags are. Any company is only as good as the people running them after all and it's more key than ever when it comes to retaining staff.

I think it could have really helped if the 20, 63 and 68 were allowed to be ditched but unfortunately that won't happen yet.

JurassicMan

Thank you for your input. The problem seems to be more of a thing in industries that deal with the public so I'm not surprised by how hard it has hit. Going by previous comments on here regarding the depot and management that's more where the major red flags are. Any company is only as good as the people running them after all and it's more key than ever when it comes to retaining staff.

I think it could have really helped if the 20, 63 and 68 were allowed to be ditched but unfortunately that won't happen yet.
Disgruntled Employees are never a great barometer to judge how depots are run, the anti social hours, the lack of work life balance and the poor fleet are more of concern ,the first 2 are an industry wide issue these days where there are many options in transport with far more suitable hours and not having to deal with the public in such a close contact form as driving a public service vehicle.

It looks likely the Edinburgh contracts shall remain with First but in a new reduced contract to operate the services on a lesser scale, it would seem no other operator was willing to take on the contract.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Disgruntled Employees are never a great barometer to judge how depots are run, the anti social hours, the lack of work life balance and the poor fleet are more of concern ,the first 2 are an industry wide issue these days where there are many options in transport with far more suitable hours and not having to deal with the public in such a close contact form as driving a public service vehicle.

It looks likely the Edinburgh contracts shall remain with First but in a new reduced contract to operate the services on a lesser scale, it would seem no other operator was willing to take on the contract.
I will give them credit in the fact that they've been fairly consistent at keeping the public up to date with cancellations each day and I really hope that continues to be fair. Normally I would agree that disgruntled employees aren't always a good measure of how anything is run but when somewhere has high staff turnover it usually becomes a very good way of finding out how things are.

I will give them credit in the fact that they've been fairly consistent at keeping the public up to date with cancellations each day and I really hope that continues to be fair. Normally I would agree that disgruntled employees aren't always a good measure of how anything is run but when somewhere has high staff turnover it usually becomes a very good way of finding out how things are.
Correct.

With regards to the First Group exodus of staff, it's a very good measure of the true nature of the beast.

Delapidated, shockingly maintained vehicles, few drivers aspire to work for a firm with a poor image and reputation let alone have to deal with middle management who more often than not are out to point a finger.

First group now don't have the required staff through their own fault, that's guaranteed!

The staff they do have left by majority are those who often have values that are "it pays my bills" or those who are young and innocently yet naively joined the industry, those who don't really care where they work or care about such things as derated engines on a daily basis or suspension problems that could certainly aggravate sciatica.

External problems with the public transport sector or specifically buses? In areas such as Falkirk, Stirling and Livingston over the last few decades at least the amount of cars on the roads have literally exploded. Adding further pressures onto those who drive large vehicles, then there's the public using said vehicles where many don't see the person behind the wheel as anything important despite relying on them to drive them around.

Over the last 13yrs I have seen major shift in the numbers of cars alone on the roads and subsequently the exodus of passengers no longer using buses.

It's a dying industry en masse and the drivers leaving at the moment are only the tip of the ice berg of problems.

overthewater

Established Member
It was only finalised on Friday together with the F45 (First) and the F49 (Prentice Westwood)! Prentice Westwood are doing the F1. The only timetable I have seen is what looks like a photograph on Facebook.

With the cuts which are being implemented, it's shocking, said passengers were only give 3 days notice. Going by social media, alot of passenger are bad tempered and rightly so..

PaulMc7

Established Member
I see that they have updated the network maps and the X23 has been removed from The Livingston network. Also the same with the 26A and surprisingly the X25 has been removed from Edinburgh despite still some evening journeys still going to Edinburgh.

https://www.firstbus.co.uk/south-east-and-central-scotland/routes-and-maps/network-maps
I wonder if that's a future change they've accidentally revealed with the X25. I mean I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest given that the driver situation really isn't getting better.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 21 was axed at some point either. For a bus that's one an hour and had a route cut it's worrying how many of them get cancelled.

Last edited:

overthewater

Established Member
No27 is also missing from the map. I think the map just sticks with the core main routes and does not highlight odd journeys here or there.

stevenedin

No27 is also missing from the map. I think the map just sticks with the core main routes and does not highlight odd journeys here or there.
I just noticed now you mentioned that as well. It looks very sparse. The same with the Falkirk one too for some reason.

It’s definitely a big change from this one in 2017.

Attachments

• West Lothian Network Map_11-2017.pdf
    147.5 KB · Views: 88

PaulMc7

Established Member
I just noticed now you mentioned that as well. It looks very sparse. The same with the Falkirk one too for some reason.

It’s definitely a big change from this one in 2017

I found these changes below too from after 2017 but pre-covid:​

West Lothian Network Changes​

From Monday 6th August, West Lothian Service Changes will come into effect. We want to make sure you're prepared for these changes before travelling with us so we've summarised some of the best bits for you below:
  • We are continuing to regularly serve St John’s Hospital
  • We are providing faster links into Edinburgh City Centre
  • We are providing a new, faster service to Edinburgh Airport which will now serve Winchburgh and Kirkliston
Click here for the new West Lothian Network map.
West%20Lothian%20Area%20Network%20Map%2006.08.18.png

What are the benefits of travelling with us?
  • More buses, simpler routes, simpler frequencies and new links
  • ALL First buses accept contactless payments and mobile ticketing
  • Regular Friday/Saturday Night Services connect West Lothian and Edinburgh
You can pick up a copy of our printed timetables on bus and in public spaces across West Lothian.
See below for more detailed information on our new services, routes as well as all the timetables, and network and town centre maps so you can plan your journey in advance.
Services not listed below will continue to operate unchanged and these timetables can be found here.
ServiceRoute and details of proposed changes
21A
21B
21C
X21
Services 21 and 22 combine to provide buses every 15 minutes between Blackburn and Livingston, The Centre
NEW all-day link to Kirkton Campus

All journeys numbered 21 – Services numbers 21A, 21B, 21C and X21 discontinued.
New service 21 route – Whitburn – Armadale – Bathgate – Blackburn – Seafield – Kirkton Campus – Livingston The Centre
22A
22B
X22
Services 21 and 22 combine to provide buses every 15 minutes between Blackburn and Livingston, The Centre
All journeys numbered 22 – Services numbers 22A, 22B and X22 discontinued.
New service 22 route – Harthill – Whitburn – Blackburn – Seafield – Livingston Village – Livingston The Centre
23MORE BUSES
Services 23 and 24 combine to provide buses every 15 minutes between Eliburn and Livingston, The Centre
Services 23, 24 and 25 combine to provide buses every 7/8 minutes on Alderstone Road

New service 23 route – Deans North & South – Eliburn – Alderstone Road (at St John’s Hospital) – Livingston The Centre – Dedridge East – Mid Calder (Main Street) – East Calder (Langton Road) – Kirknewton – Hermiston (for Heriot Watt University) – Sighthill – Gorgie – Haymarket – Edinburgh
X23DIRECT from Livingston, The Centre to Edinburgh
New service X23 route – Broxburn (East Mains Industrial Estate or Strathbrock Centre) – Uphall – Craigshill – Livingston The Centre – Mid Calder (Calder Park) – East Calder (Main Street) – Wilkieston – Hermiston (for Heriot Watt University) – Sighthill – Gorgie – Haymarket – Edinburgh
X23
LIMITED STOP – All journeys will observe a Limited Stop Pattern in both directions between Saughton and Haymarket
To Edinburgh –
All recognised bus stops observed to Stenhouse Road at Saughton Prison then as listed below:
Gorgie Road at Chesser House – Gorgie Road at Balgreen Road – Gorgie Road at Stewart Terrace – Gorgie Road at Gorgie City Farm – Dalry Road at Dalry Primary School – Dalry Road at Haymarket Station and then all recognised stops to Regent Road.
To West Lothian – All recognised bus stops observed to Shandwick Place then as listed below:
Dalry Road at Haymarket Station – Dalry Road at Dalry Primary School – Gorgie Road at Gorgie City Farm – Gorgie Road at Stewart Terrace – Gorgie Road at Balgreen Road – Gorgie Road at Chesser House – Stenhouse Road at Saughton Prison and then all recognised stops thereafter.
24MORE BUSES
Services 23 and 24 combine to provide buses every 15 minutes between Eliburn and Livingston, The Centre
Services 23, 24 and 25 combine to provide buses every 7/8 minutes on Alderstone Road
Services 24 and 25 combine to provide buses every 15 minutes between Uphall, Broxburn and Edinburgh

New service 24 route – Deans North & South – Eliburn – Alderstone Road (at St John’s Hospital) – Livingston The Centre – Pumpherston – Uphall – Broxburn – Ratho Station – Maybury – Corstorphine – Haymarket – Edinburgh
25MORE BUSES
Now every 15 minutes between Armadale, Falside, Bathgate, Deans and Livingston, The Centre
Services 24 and 25 combine to provide buses every 15 minutes between Uphall, Broxburn and Edinburgh
DIRECT from Bathgate and Deans to Livingston, The Centre
DIRECT from Broxburn and Uphall to Livingston, The Centre

New service 25 route – Blackridge – Armadale – Falside – Bathgate – Deans North – Carmondean – Alderstone Road (at St John’s Hospital) – Livingston The Centre – Uphall – Broxburn – Ratho Station – Maybury – Corstorphine – Haymarket – Edinburgh
LIMITED STOP – All journeys will observe a Limited Stop Pattern in both directions between Maybury and Haymarket
To Edinburgh –
All recognised bus stops observed to Glasgow Road at Maybury Junction then as listed below:
Glasgow Road at North Gyle Rd – St John’s Road at Foot of Drumbrae – St John’s Road at Glebe Road – St John’s Road at Station Road – Corstorphine Road at Zoo – Corstorphine Road at Balgreen Road – Corstorphine Road at Western Corner – Corstorphine Road at Murrayfield Ice Rink – Roseburn Terrace at Roseburn Gardens – Haymarket Terrace at Roseberry Crescent then all recognised stops to Regent Road.
To West Lothian – All recognised bus stops observed to Shandwick Place then as listed below:
Haymarket Terrace at Haymarket Station – Roseburn Terrace at Roseburn Gardens – Corstorphine Road at Murrayfield Ice Rink – Corstorphine Road at Western Corner – Corstorphine Road at Balgreen Road – Corstorphine Road at Zoo – St John's Road at Kirk Loan – St John's Road at Foot of Drumbrae –
Glasgow Road at North Gyle Road – Glasgow Road at Maybury Junction then all recognised stops thereafter.
26SIMPLIFIED ROUTE AND FREQUENCY
Every 15 minutes between Knightsridge, Ladywell, Howden and Livingston, The Centre
Every 15 minutes between Livingston, The Centre, West Calder and Addiewell
New all-day link to Livingston North Station
MORE BUSES serving Birniehill and J4M8 Distribution Park

New service 26 route – Livingston North Station – Knightsridge – Ladywell – St John’s Hospital – Howden – Livingston The Centre – Polbeth – West Calder – Addiewell – Loganlea – Stoneyburn – Bents – Fauldhouse – Whitburn – J4M8 Birniehill – Bathgate
X27
NEW Livingston local service
All journeys numbered 27 – Service number X27 discontinued.
New service 27 route – St John’s Hospital – Ladywell West – Craigshill – Asda – Livingston The Centre – Almondvale Retail Park – Dedridge
28C
X28
These services will no longer operate.
Please refer to services 25 (Bathgate – Deans – Livingston The Centre), 26 (Knightsridge – Livingston The Centre) and 23 (Livingston The Centre – East Calder – Edinburgh).
600NEW service providing links from Winchburgh and Kirkliston to Edinburgh Airport
New service 600 route – Livingston The Centre – Deer Park – Uphall – Broxburn – Winchburgh – Kirkliston – Edinburgh Airport
Please refer to services 25 (Blackridge – Livingston The Centre), 26 (Livingston The Centre – Fauldhouse – Bathgate) and 27 (Livingston The Centre – Dedridge West).
X99
Changes to services operating from Falkirk area – From Monday 20 August
1Route extended from Linlithgow Cross to Bridgend Village, partly replacing service 38.
29A
29C
Revised route within Armadale.
All journeys numbered 29 – Services numbers 29A and 29C discontinued.
38A
X38
Revised route, timetable and frequency.
Route replaced in Bridgend Village by service 1.
Gyle Centre is no longer served.
All journeys numbered 38 – Services numbers 38A and X38 discontinued.
West Lothian Area Network Map
Livingston Town Centre Map
Services 21/22
21 - Whitburn – Armadale – Bathgate – Blackburn – Seafield – Kirkton Campus – Livingston The Centre
22 - Harthill – Whitburn – Blackburn – Seafield – Livingston Village – Livingston The Centre
Services 23/X23
23 - Deans – Eliburn – Alderstone Road – Livingston The Centre – Dedridge East – Mid Calder – East Calder – Kirknewton – Sighthill – Edinburgh
X23 - Broxburn – Uphall – Craigshill – Livingston The Centre – Mid Calder – East Calder – Wilkieston – Sighthill – Edinburgh
Services 24/25
24 - Deans – Eliburn – Alderstone Road – Livingston The Centre – Pumpherston – Uphall – Broxburn – Corstorphine – Edinburgh
25 - Blackridge – Armadale – Falside – Bathgate – Deans – Carmondean – Alderstone Road – Livingston The Centre – Uphall – Broxburn – Corstorphine – Edinburgh
Service 26
Livingston North Station – Knightsridge – Ladywell – St John’s Hospital – Howden – Livingston The Centre – West Calder – Addiewell – Loganlea – Stoneyburn – Bents – Fauldhouse – Whitburn – Birniehill – Bathgate
Service 27
St John’s Hospital – Craigshill – Livingston The Centre – Dedridge
Service 600
Livingston The Centre – Deer Park – Uphall – Broxburn – Winchburgh – Kirkliston – Edinburgh Airport

DunsBus

Established Member

From Monday 6th August, West Lothian Service Changes will come into effect. We want to make sure you're prepared for these changes before travelling with us so we've summarised some of the best bits for you below:
  • We are providing a new, faster service to Edinburgh Airport which will now serve Winchburgh and Kirkliston

You can pick up a copy of our printed timetables on bus and in public spaces across West Lothian.
See below for more detailed information on our new services, routes as well as all the timetables, and network and town centre maps so you can plan your journey in advance.
Services not listed below will continue to operate unchanged and these timetables can be found here.
21A
21B
21C
X21

New service 21 route – Whitburn – Armadale – Bathgate – Blackburn – Seafield – Kirkton Campus – Livingston The Centre
22A
22B
X22
New service 22 route – Harthill – Whitburn – Blackburn – Seafield – Livingston Village – Livingston The Centre
23MORE BUSES

New service 23 route – Deans North & South – Eliburn – Alderstone Road (at St John’s Hospital) – Livingston The Centre – Dedridge East – Mid Calder (Main Street) – East Calder (Langton Road) – Kirknewton – Hermiston (for Heriot Watt University) – Sighthill – Gorgie – Haymarket – Edinburgh
New service X23 route – Broxburn (East Mains Industrial Estate or Strathbrock Centre) – Uphall – Craigshill – Livingston The Centre – Mid Calder (Calder Park) – East Calder (Main Street) – Wilkieston – Hermiston (for Heriot Watt University) – Sighthill – Gorgie – Haymarket – Edinburgh
X23
LIMITED STOP – All journeys will observe a Limited Stop Pattern in both directions between Saughton and Haymarket
To Edinburgh –
All recognised bus stops observed to Stenhouse Road at Saughton Prison then as listed below:
Gorgie Road at Chesser House – Gorgie Road at Balgreen Road – Gorgie Road at Stewart Terrace – Gorgie Road at Gorgie City Farm – Dalry Road at Dalry Primary School – Dalry Road at Haymarket Station and then all recognised stops to Regent Road.
Dalry Road at Haymarket Station – Dalry Road at Dalry Primary School – Gorgie Road at Gorgie City Farm – Gorgie Road at Stewart Terrace – Gorgie Road at Balgreen Road – Gorgie Road at Chesser House – Stenhouse Road at Saughton Prison and then all recognised stops thereafter.
24MORE BUSES

New service 24 route – Deans North & South – Eliburn – Alderstone Road (at St John’s Hospital) – Livingston The Centre – Pumpherston – Uphall – Broxburn – Ratho Station – Maybury – Corstorphine – Haymarket – Edinburgh
25MORE BUSES
Now every 15 minutes between Armadale, Falside, Bathgate, Deans and Livingston, The Centre

New service 25 route – Blackridge – Armadale – Falside – Bathgate – Deans North – Carmondean – Alderstone Road (at St John’s Hospital) – Livingston The Centre – Uphall – Broxburn – Ratho Station – Maybury – Corstorphine – Haymarket – Edinburgh
LIMITED STOP – All journeys will observe a Limited Stop Pattern in both directions between Maybury and Haymarket
To Edinburgh –
All recognised bus stops observed to Glasgow Road at Maybury Junction then as listed below:
Glasgow Road at North Gyle Rd – St John’s Road at Foot of Drumbrae – St John’s Road at Glebe Road – St John’s Road at Station Road – Corstorphine Road at Zoo – Corstorphine Road at Balgreen Road – Corstorphine Road at Western Corner – Corstorphine Road at Murrayfield Ice Rink – Roseburn Terrace at Roseburn Gardens – Haymarket Terrace at Roseberry Crescent then all recognised stops to Regent Road.
Haymarket Terrace at Haymarket Station – Roseburn Terrace at Roseburn Gardens – Corstorphine Road at Murrayfield Ice Rink – Corstorphine Road at Western Corner – Corstorphine Road at Balgreen Road – Corstorphine Road at Zoo – St John's Road at Kirk Loan – St John's Road at Foot of Drumbrae –
Glasgow Road at North Gyle Road – Glasgow Road at Maybury Junction then all recognised stops thereafter.
Every 15 minutes between Knightsridge, Ladywell, Howden and Livingston, The Centre

New service 26 route – Livingston North Station – Knightsridge – Ladywell – St John’s Hospital – Howden – Livingston The Centre – Polbeth – West Calder – Addiewell – Loganlea – Stoneyburn – Bents – Fauldhouse – Whitburn – J4M8 Birniehill – Bathgate
X27
New service 27 route – St John’s Hospital – Ladywell West – Craigshill – Asda – Livingston The Centre – Almondvale Retail Park – Dedridge
28C
X28
Please refer to services 25 (Bathgate – Deans – Livingston The Centre), 26 (Knightsridge – Livingston The Centre) and 23 (Livingston The Centre – East Calder – Edinburgh).
600NEW service providing links from Winchburgh and Kirkliston to Edinburgh Airport
New service 600 route – Livingston The Centre – Deer Park – Uphall – Broxburn – Winchburgh – Kirkliston – Edinburgh Airport
Please refer to services 25 (Blackridge – Livingston The Centre), 26 (Livingston The Centre – Fauldhouse – Bathgate) and 27 (Livingston The Centre – Dedridge West).
X99
1Route extended from Linlithgow Cross to Bridgend Village, partly replacing service 38.
29A
29C
38A
X38
Services 21/22
21 - Whitburn – Armadale – Bathgate – Blackburn – Seafield – Kirkton Campus – Livingston The Centre
22 - Harthill – Whitburn – Blackburn – Seafield – Livingston Village – Livingston The Centre
Services 23/X23
23 - Deans – Eliburn – Alderstone Road – Livingston The Centre – Dedridge East – Mid Calder – East Calder – Kirknewton – Sighthill – Edinburgh
X23 - Broxburn – Uphall – Craigshill – Livingston The Centre – Mid Calder – East Calder – Wilkieston – Sighthill – Edinburgh
Services 24/25
24 - Deans – Eliburn – Alderstone Road – Livingston The Centre – Pumpherston – Uphall – Broxburn – Corstorphine – Edinburgh
25 - Blackridge – Armadale – Falside – Bathgate – Deans – Carmondean – Alderstone Road – Livingston The Centre – Uphall – Broxburn – Corstorphine – Edinburgh
Service 26
Livingston North Station – Knightsridge – Ladywell – St John’s Hospital – Howden – Livingston The Centre – West Calder – Addiewell – Loganlea – Stoneyburn – Bents – Fauldhouse – Whitburn – Birniehill – Bathgate
Service 27
Service 600
Livingston The Centre – Deer Park – Uphall – Broxburn – Winchburgh – Kirkliston – Edinburgh Airport
These were from 2018, being implemented a couple of weeks before Lothian Country started up and designed to make sure that LC made no significant inroads into First's customer base.

PaulMc7

Established Member
These were from 2018, being implemented a couple of weeks before Lothian Country started up and designed to make sure that LC made no significant inroads into First's customer base.
Thanks for the info. I knew it was either 2018 or 2019 but couldn't quite remember.

stevenedin

I didn’t realise that they already knew Lothian Country were coming at this point. Thanks for sharing.

21A
21B
21C
X21

22A
22B
X22
23MORE BUSES

X23
To Edinburgh –
24MORE BUSES

25MORE BUSES

To Edinburgh –

X27
28C
X28
X99
29A
29C
38A
X38
Services 21/22
Services 23/X23
Services 24/25
Service 26
Service 27
Service 600
Thanks for sharing. I preferred this network charge to the 2017 one as it has more services whereas in 2017 it was basically 21/A/B/C/X21, 22/A/B/X22, 27/X27, 28/X28/28C, 29/A/C, 800, 801, 802 and 803

Last edited:

PaulMc7

Established Member
Do most drivers avoid a Saturday in West Lothian because the cancellation lists seem to get so much longer each Saturday.

This was today's as it stands:

Journey Cancellations

We're really sorry for the inconvenience that this will cause. We're working hard to run as many journeys as possible. Please be patient with our team of drivers - it's not their fault and they're working very hard to get you where you need to go. Due to the current national driver shortage the journeys below will not operate today.
Please note, these cancellations won't appear on our app or be noted on our timetable page - we recommend you bookmark this page and check before you travel. We may be able to reinstate some journeys at short notice. Please check our timetables >> to look for alternative journeys - it's likely the trip straight after a cancelled journey will be busy and may suffer delays.
Updated Saturday 27th August 14:47

RouteTimeLocationTimeLocation
20​
16:05​
Ratho
17:08​
Chesser
20​
17:20​
Chesser
18:37​
Ratho
20​
18:38​
Ratho
19:33​
Longstone
26​
11:35​
Livi north
13:23​
Bathgate
26​
13:35​
Livi north
15:23​
Bathgate
26​
13:47​
Bathgate
15:31​
Livi north
26​
14:35​
Livi north
16:23​
Bathgate
26​
15:35​
Livi north
17:23​
Bathgate
26​
15:47​
Bathgate
17:31​
Livi north
26​
16:47​
Bathgate
18:26​
Livi north
26​
17:55​
Bathgate
19:28​
Livi north
26​
18:47​
Bathgate
20:20​
Livi north
26​
18:53​
Livi north
20:19​
Bathgate
26​
19:23​
Livi north
19:47​
Livi centre
26​
19:53​
Livi north
21:19​
Bathgate
26​
20:23​
Livi north
20:47​
Livi centre
26​
20:55​
Bathgate
22:19​
Livi north
26​
21:55​
Bathgate
23:19​
Livi north
26​
22:27​
Livi centre
22:49​
Livi north
51​
20:22​
cowie
21:14​
alloa
51​
22:20​
stirling
22:44​
alloa
52​
21:16​
alloa
22:02​
stirling
52​
22:46​
alloa
23:17​
menstrie
63​
10:14​
Newbridge
10:41​
Queensferry
63​
11:06​
Queensferry
12:16​
Balerno
63​
12:30​
Balerno
13:41​
Queensferry
63​
14:06​
Queensferry
14:33​
Newbridge
600​
11:52​
Deer pk
12:19​
Kirkliston
600​
12:21​
Kirkliston
13:06​
Livi centre
600​
13:08​
Livi centre
13:49​
Kirkliston
600​
13:51​
Kirkliston
14:36​
Livi centre
600​
14:38​
Livi centre
14:52​
Deer pk
600​
15:22​
Deer pk
15:36​
Livi centre
600​
15:38​
Livi centre
16:19​
Kirkliston
600​
16:21​
Kirkliston
17:06​
Livi centre
600​
17:08​
Livi centre
17:49​
Kirkliston
600​
17:22​
Deer pk
17:36​
Livi centre
600​
17:38​
Livi centre
18:19​
Kirkliston
600​
17:51​
Kirkliston
18:36​
Livi centre
600​
18:21​
Kirkliston
19:06​
Livi centre
600​
18:37​
Livi centre
18:51​
Deer pk
600​
18:51​
Deer pk
19:18​
Kirkliston
600​
19:19​
Kirkliston
19:59​
Livi centre
600​
19:37​
Livi centre
20:13​
Kirkliston
600​
20:19​
Kirkliston
20:59​
Livi centre
600​
20:37​
Livi centre
21:13​
Kirkliston
600​
21:16​
Kirkliston
21:56​
Livi centre
600​
21:58​
Livi centre
22:34​
Kirkliston
600​
22:35​
Kirkliston
23:15​
Livi centre
X22
15:31​
Shinetsu
16:54​
Edinburgh
X22
16:31​
Shinetsu
17:54​
Edinburgh
X22
16:46​
Shinetsu
17:33​
Shotts
X22
17:24​
Edinburgh
19:08​
Whitburn
X22
17:48​
Shotts
19:50​
Edinburgh
X22
18:16​
Shinetsu
19:03​
Shotts
X22
18:24​
Edinburgh
19:27​
Livi centre
X22
19:18​
Shotts
21:20​
Edinburgh
X22
19:49​
Livi centre
20:50​
Edinburgh
X22
19:54​
Edinburgh
21:30​
Whitburn
X22
20:49​
Livi centre
21:50​
Edinburgh
X22
20:54​
Edinburgh
22:30​
Whitburn
X22
21:24​
Edinburgh
22:23​
Livi centre
X22
21:42​
Whitburn
22:03​
Shinetsu
X22
21:54​
Edinburgh
23:30​
Whitburn
X22
22:03​
Shinetsu
22:34​
East calder
X24
08:57​
Deans north
10:32​
Edinburgh
X24
10:41​
Edinburgh
12:20​
Deans north
X24
13:27​
Deans north
15:02​
Edinburgh
X24
13:57​
Deans north
15:32​
Edinburgh
X24
14:27​
Deans north
16:02​
Edinburgh
X24
14:57​
Deans north
16:32​
Edinburgh
X24
15:11​
Edinburgh
16:50​
Deans north
X24
15:41​
Edinburgh
17:20​
Deans north
X24
16:11​
Edinburgh
17:50​
Deans north
X24
16:27​
Deans north
18:02​
Edinburgh
X24
16:41​
Edinburgh
18:20​
Deans north
X24
18:11​
Edinburgh
19:50​
Deans north
X24
20:13​
Deans north
21:43​
Edinburgh
X24
20:26​
Edinburgh
21:53​
Deans north
X24
21:26​
Edinburgh
22:53​
Deans north
X25
08:15​
Livi centre
09:17​
Blackridge
X25
09:23​
Blackridge
10:25​
Livi centre
X25
10:45​
Livi centre
11:47​
Blackridge
X25
11:35​
Deans rd
13:25​
Livi north
X25
11:53​
Blackridge
12:35​
Deans rd
X25
12:35​
Deans rd
12:55​
Livi centre
X25
13:15​
Livi centre
14:17​
Blackridge
X25
13:45​
Livi north
14:47​
Blackridge
X25
14:05​
Deans rd
14:25​
Livi centre
X25
14:23​
Blackridge
15:05​
Deans rd
X25
14:45​
Livi centre
15:47​
Blackridge
X25
14:53​
Blackridge
15:35​
Deeans rd
X25
15:53​
Blackridge
16:35​
Deans rd
X25
17:05​
Deans rd
17:47​
Blackridge
X25
18:05​
Blackridge
20:08​
Edinburgh
X25
19:06​
Livi centre
19:58​
Blackridge
X25
19:44​
Deans rd
21:08​
Edinburgh
X25
20:05​
Blackridge
21:29​
Broxburn
X25
21:30​
Broxburn
21:41​
Uphall
X25
21:56​
Edinburgh
23:18​
Deans north

Stan Drews

Established Member
Its usually more difficult getting staff to work overtime on a Saturday than through the week. Four consecutive X24s to/from Edinburgh certainly isn’t great though!

PaulMc7

Established Member
Its usually more difficult getting staff to work overtime on a Saturday than through the week. Four consecutive X24s to/from Edinburgh certainly isn’t great though!
The planning of the cancellations definitely has been awful at times. 4 in a row missing on different buses is normal in West Lothian with how bad it has been. There has been a couple of days with 5/6 21s missing and they're hourly too.

They might genuinely need to just be realistic and cut services to a level they can run but I dread to imagine what that looks like at the moment.

If they can shift the 20, 63 and 68 as soon as possible it may help a bit but I don't know at this point.

Stan Drews

Established Member
The planning of the cancellations definitely has been awful at times. 4 in a row missing on different buses is normal in West Lothian with how bad it has been. There has been a couple of days with 5/6 21s missing and they're hourly too.

They might genuinely need to just be realistic and cut services to a level they can run but I dread to imagine what that looks like at the moment.

If they can shift the 20, 63 and 68 as soon as possible it may help a bit but I don't know at this point.
Yes, unless they’re making some massive profit on the Edinburgh City tenders, you’d have thought it made sense to decline the contract extension, but that seems to have gone quiet.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Yes, unless they’re making some massive profit on the Edinburgh City tenders, you’d have thought it made sense to decline the contract extension, but that seems to have gone quiet.
New timetables were added to the site for the 20 and 63 that commenced on the 19th August but they didn't look any different to the previous ones.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Do most drivers avoid a Saturday in West Lothian because the cancellation lists seem to get so much longer each Saturday.

This was today's as it stands:

In Aberdeen the agency drivers don't work weekends. Presumably Scotland East is the same.

PaulMc7

Established Member
In Aberdeen the agency drivers don't work weekends. Presumably Scotland East is the same.
That would make sense to be fair. The weekdays are still bad but Saturdays are by far the worst. I feel for everyone trying to use their services.

Volvodart

Established Member
The new agency drivers in Aberdeen obtained at high cost do work all days of the week. They have their own rotas.

stantheman

On Moderation
What’s the timetable for the 68 from today please ? I assume the point of this is to connect communities with the Gyle who would otherwise be cut off ?

PaulMc7

Established Member
They don't make it easy to keep up with timetables to be fair. Some of the ones on the website are months out of date at this point.

JurassicMan

What’s the timetable for the 68 from today please ? I assume the point of this is to connect communities with the Gyle who would otherwise be cut off ?
There are no changes to the 68 timetable,it continues on present timetable .
Yes it services locals to both Gyle and Corstorphine shops.

The 20.63 and 68 will remain with First for the time being,expect a reduced frequency to be announced though. This will free up approx 15 drivers for other work.

The cancellations are very mixed from day to day ,however unlike other operators First do at least try to inform passengers, not always perfect but better then no information at all.

PaulMc7

Established Member
There are no changes to the 68 timetable,it continues on present timetable .
Yes it services locals to both Gyle and Corstorphine shops.

The 20.63 and 68 will remain with First for the time being,expect a reduced frequency to be announced though. This will free up approx 15 drivers for other work.

The cancellations are very mixed from day to day ,however unlike other operators First do at least try to inform passengers, not always perfect but better then no information at all.
It'll be better for residents when the cancellation feature is fully working on the app to be honest. They test it on the same 26 and 600 journeys in the morning midweek every so often but it's not came to much yet in West Lothian. I can remember them testing it on the 51/52 and the X10 too but that's completely died down too.

I mainly go to Stirling and Falkirk when I'm using the services in this operation so it would be good to have it implemented soon so it makes planning journeys easier.

On the subject of the cancellation feature, more testing seems to be happening. I've noticed a 1, F16, 57 and some more 600s all showing as cancelled today.

Last edited:

Volvodart

Established Member
Services 20, 63 & 68 | West of Edinburgh Update | From 12th September

https://www.firstbus.co.uk/south-ea...ates/updates/services-20-63-68-west-edinburgh

31 Aug 2022All Areas
Cause:
Responsibility:
Dates:12 Sep 2022

Update on West Edinburgh Services 20, 63 & 68:

After lengthy discussions with the City of Edinburgh Council, we’re pleased to announce that we’ll be continuing to operate services 20 (Ratho to Chesser via Gyle) and 63 (South Queensferry to Balerno via Gyle) to a revised timetable with effect from 12th September, while service 68 (Gyle to Turnhouse, Clermiston and Corstorphine) will continue unchanged, following the award of a revised contract by the council.

ServiceDetailTimetable
20Revised timetable effective from 12th SeptemberClick here to see Mon-Sat Timetable
Click here to see Sunday Timetable
63Revised timetable effective from 12th SeptemberClick here to see Mon-Sat Timetable
Click here to see Sunday Timetable
68No change to current timetable.Click here to view
It’s important to note that the operation of these routes is managed by the council and subsequently tendered out to bus operators. With this in mind, our contract to operate these services on the council’s behalf had come to a natural end.

It was important for us to proactively collaborate with the City of Edinburgh Council to ensure that we can deliver a reliable bus service for the communities served by all three routes in the face of the ongoing industry wide driver shortages, an issue that we’re still contending with.

As a result of our discussions with the council, we have accepted a one-year extension that ensures service continuity across these routes.

We’re mindful that members of the communities that services 20, 63 and 68 operate in have been concerned about the future of these route. It is hoped that this good news is welcomed by the communities and that they show their support for the services concerned in the best way possible through using them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.