• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

83G/84D

Established Member
Has Scania 61216 YM52UVN departed yet?

It has a 'SORN' (Statutory Off Road Notification) against it and the logbook was changed yesterday which would suggest it has been sold but it could be still awaiting collection.

It was visible in Camborne until probably late October or early November but I haven’t seen it since so it may have been collected.

I think that it only had one brief spell on the U3. I haven’t seen any photos of it in use in Kernow and I didn’t manage to get one myself.

Lizard1324

There is a rumor going around truro and penwith that next April tfc are running college buses.
I'm 100% sure this isn't true considering the amount if buses and money first kernow have put into the contract, and I'm sure tfc do not have the ability to run such a large contract.
But I suppose its not out out question that cc/ truro college may pay for tfc to allow students onto there services to areas where kernow don't run a service regularly.
Does anyone know anything or us its complete rubbish.

TechDan2002

There is a rumor going around truro and penwith that next April tfc are running college buses.
I'm 100% sure this isn't true considering the amount if buses and money first kernow have put into the contract, and I'm sure tfc do not have the ability to run such a large contract.
But I suppose its not out out question that cc/ truro college may pay for tfc to allow students onto there services to areas where kernow don't run a service regularly.
Only place I’ve seen such rumour was on a Truro College meme page. I’d be incredibly surprised if such a thing happened!

On the Buses

Fake News. The tender deadline hasn’t even passed yet - and the current contract runs until next August.

Lizard1324

Fake News. The tender deadline hasn’t even passed yet - and the current contract runs until next August.
Thanks for clarification, I thought it might have been false.
It's probably not out the question that cc might want students to be able to use tfc services aswell to ease the load on college buses much like last year when you could go home early and use your pass on any first bus.
Now's not the time for complacency. I'm sure most of us would have said the same of their ability to bid for and win the entire supported local network...
That's true, but I'm not sure how many deckers kernow use for the college contact but it's got to be easily over 50 odd, and I don't think tfc would be able to get that amount of deckers let alone the drivers.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
That's true, but I'm not sure how many deckers kernow use for the college contact but it's got to be easily over 50 odd, and I don't think tfc would be able to get that amount of deckers let alone the drivers.

Getting vehicles is not a problem; we've seen how First have managed to resource from across the group and with hired in vehicles more recently, and indeed with Go Ahead drafting in vehicles into Plymouth to release fleet for Cornwall whilst new vehicles were expected. Drivers is a different issue though.

However, we're getting rather ahead of things. The deadline is not for a while and I'm sure FSW will be working flat out to maintain this as well as developing the rest of the business.

S.Jacket

Thanks for clarification, I thought it might have been false.
It's probably not out the question that cc might want students to be able to use tfc services aswell to ease the load on college buses much like last year when you could go home early and use your pass on any first bus.

Its a private contract and nothing to do with Cornwall Council, the fact that students are allowed to travel free on First buses is a privilege enrolled into the contract

Lizard1324

Its a private contract and nothing to do with Cornwall Council, the fact that students are allowed to travel free on First buses is a privilege enrolled into the contract
Ye I know that, I think it's more to do with services that are run my tfc that used to be first run.
For instance the 16 which a student would have bought a penwith college bus pass but now they can't and have to pay another more money (that is tfc fault for high prices)
Also because college want to stagger students in college and first is helping by providing additional services like the x variants of the 200 service and the L1. But not all areas are covered which means that you have to take a tfc bus.
But I would think it's unlikely for the council to do anything with it considering tfc are burning alot of cash at the moment, so they need any money they can get

83G/84D

Established Member
32619 was seen on the Truro Park & Ride services today and is shown here leaving Langarth. My photo.IMG_5429rev.jpg

On the Buses

The exterior looks very good and the marketing message is welcome.

The top deck seats look a bit tired so hope they're on the programme to be attended to.

Yes, if they don’t have good e leather they all are. The painting and retrim programmes are separate

83G/84D

Established Member
I suspect it's an error or ticket machine swap but bustimes have 32104 tracking on the T1 at the moment. Definately not the weather for that today.

Lizard1324

I suspect it's an error or ticket machine swap but bustimes have 32104 tracking on the T1 at the moment. Definately not the weather for that today.
If it'd still the same as it was last week on the u4, it's the one of zest liveried gemini.

83G/84D

Established Member
If it'd still the same as it was last week on the u4, it's the one of zest liveried gemini.

The bus concerned was on a Truro to Camborne working. I went out to look for it but must have just missed it. In Camborne a short while later was 30955 which MAY have been the bus concerned. There was no sign of any "zest" Gemini's.

Gemini 32620 was seen in green with vinyls applied.

83G/84D

Established Member
There is one just like that at Camborne as well.

32622 was towed into Camborne by Cornwall Commercials this afternoon.

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
See Marc M-H has tweeted a photo of 42953 repainted in green.

It’ll be good to get them done. Mind you, some of the green fleet (44922/3 especially) look very tatty
The rate of repaints is most impressive!

I was never a big fan of the original BoS livery and I dare say 44922/3 will get repaints when scheduled to do so. There's still one BoS liveried short Solo in Cornwall which is looking very worn now, as are the Mousehole Solos, but of course they all need to wait their turn!