• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Open top tour of Bridgwater without getting the wheels nicked
Has the British Cellophane stink gone at last then? I've been waiting since 1967 to make a return visit. Wonder if that nice bird I saw is still around... :D

fgwrich

Established Member
Has the British Cellophane stink gone at last then? I've been waiting since 1967 to make a return visit. Wonder if that nice bird I saw is still around... :D
Shudders, a former teammate at work had relatives there - it often got dubbed Bilgewater and we both remembered the stink from the Cellophane factory!

Lizard1324

32799 has decided to break down on the L1 today. Unfortunately it was on Culdrose Road and has caused a few miles of tail backs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Busgeek

Because the U4 is now apparently part of the Lizard network, I imagine in due course Lizard branded vehicles will start appearing on there too once a few more of them have been painted into the colours…

I was also told the other day that Falmouth still have some U4 allocations so I suspect in the near future there will be a mixture of both Lizard and standard vehicles on there…
It would be good to see some E400 painted for the Lizard network. As the U4 was a E400 route, it would seem fitting to see them in that livery. You look at 33085 and how smart that looks. I could only imagine a E400 MMC in those colours. I guess a fan can dream right? Very unlikely that will happen though.

Earlier today I also saw that 32799 and 32800 were on the L1. They're nice buses but sadly 32799 broke down, suspected to have run out of fuel! It was seen getting a drink at the roadside. I look forward to the delivery of the Lizard opentops. It's ne smart livery and well designed.

TechDan2002

Lizard open top Trident 33085 spotted still at Camborne depot this afternoon, alongside an unidentifiable ELC Lolyne Trident (T819/820 RFG) (pictured below)C579F627-D99A-4C9E-B9A0-E9F5347478F2.jpeg

Goldfish62

Established Member
I look forward to the delivery of the Lizard opentops. It's ne smart livery and well designed.
One has already been delivered. It arrived a few weeks ago, but unfortunately only managed one morning in service before expiring.

It would be good to see some E400 painted for the Lizard network. As the U4 was a E400 route, it would seem fitting to see them in that livery. You look at 33085 and how smart that looks. I could only imagine a E400 MMC in those colours. I guess a fan can dream right? Very unlikely that will happen though.

Earlier today I also saw that 32799 and 32800 were on the L1. They're nice buses but sadly 32799 broke down, suspected to have run out of fuel! It was seen getting a drink at the roadside. I look forward to the delivery of the Lizard opentops. It's ne smart livery and well designed.
Makes me wonder as well if the Lolynes will get an updated livery, same with any other vehicles that are due to get painted for the Lizard network…

33085 has only been out in service once but I believe something went wrong with it. I agree, the livery on it is well smart!

One has already been delivered. It arrived a few weeks ago, but unfortunately only managed one morning in service before expiring.
Hopefully it’ll be back in service soon. 33036 is still believed to be in Bristol pending delivery for Cornwall.

Lizard open top Trident 33085 spotted still at Camborne depot this afternoon, alongside an unidentifiable ELC Lolyne Trident (T819/820 RFG) (pictured below)View attachment 98569
On the Buses said a while back the two Lizard Presidents are ahead of the two T plate Lolynes in regards to prep.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Lizard open top Trident 33085 spotted still at Camborne depot this afternoon, alongside an unidentifiable ELC Lolyne Trident (T819/820 RFG) (pictured below)View attachment 98569
Every one a different livery....

Tinner, U Lines, Dealer white, Kernow green, Urban, Lands End Coaster, Seaford and District, Lizard, Go Cornish partner livery and finally a bit of Barbie

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Every one a different livery....

Tinner, U Lines, Dealer white, Kernow green, Urban, Lands End Coaster, Seaford and District, Lizard, Go Cornish partner livery and finally a bit of Barbie
Tim Rice could write a musical on that theme. :D

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Two double deck First buses in last few days have found their way up Chapel Street in Penzance (i.e. against the flow of one-way traffic). I have not seen either occurrence myself, but have now heard sufficient reports from reliable sources to satisfy myself it happened. I don't wear my heart on my sleeve, by the way, and none of the people who mentioned it to me, bar one, has any inkling as to my bus interest. I did ask a few questions of a non-leading nature to establish some facts, and the first occurrence was an open topper. On the day that happened, I joined the back of an eastbound queue on Ross Bridge and, twenty minutes later, had only reached the Churchill retirement flats prior to the Wharfside pedestrian crossing, whereupon I turned off and found the only space where even a Blue Badge holder can park. The trouble is that at the eastern end of the Promenade just before Jubilee Pool is a two-way traffic turning that looks to the uninitiated to be a possible way to avoid the traffic: but after the bend a hundred yards or so later you meet the bottom end of Chapel Street and 'no entry' signs. The alternative to a thirty point u turn for a bus is a right turn into Quay Street, thronged with parked cars, an imposing wall on the right halfway down and, at the moment, scaffolding on a house encroaching onto the roadway i.e. an impossible situation for a bus driver, particularly with passengers on board, which there were, apparently. Just stopping the bus at that point would lead to traffic chaos within minutes too. Personally, I understand why a driver might then decide the least worst course of action would be to attempt to drive the wrong way: I understand this was done with a great deal of gesticulation and despite protests from oncoming car/van drivers, some of which had to back up into passing places. As I say, I didn't see it myself: if I had I might even break my self-imposed rule and take a photo, which I normally confine to Running Days!

P.S. I'm not seeking to get anyone into trouble, far from it.

83G/84D

Established Member
I stopped off at Bridgwater whilst using the M5 the other day. Of interest at the SPS base was Streetdeck 35102 & at least 2 Norwich examples branded "Pink line 11/12".

Back in Cornwall the Lizard Trident 33085 still resides at Camborne.

Tech Dan 2002 - The Eastbourne trident at Camborne is T819 RFG.

cnjb8

Established Member
I stopped off at Bridgwater whilst using the M5 the other day. Of interest at the SPS base was Streetdeck 35102 & at least 2 Norwich examples branded "Pink line 11/12".

A few First StreetDecks have gone on loan to SPS recently
From First South Yorkshire & Midland’s Olive Grove (Sheffield) depot are 35101/02/18.
On loan from First Eastern Counties Norwich depot are 35196/98.
On loan from First West Yorkshire’s Hunslet Park (Leeds) depot are 35272/75.

There’s got to be something wrong with 33085 if it’s only been out once in the morning a few weeks ago. Shame really as it looks so smart.

From First South Yorkshire & Midland’s Olive Grove (Sheffield) depot are 35101/02/18.
Interesting to hear, I wonder why that could be if they have 30 MMCs on loan from CbK there currently.

83G/84D

Established Member
Thanks for the information, appreciated. I'll look out for them again when I am next up that way.

Lizard1324

Does anyone know has 32756 - WA54 OLO been on the road recently as looks to have been out of service for a while now?
Also looks like some of the loaned white B7TLs keep breaking down in Mullion.

cnjb8

Established Member
There’s got to be something wrong with 33085 if it’s only been out once in the morning a few weeks ago. Shame really as it looks so smart.

Interesting to hear, I wonder why that could be if they have 30 MMCs on loan from CbK there currently.

Thanks for the information, appreciated. I'll look out for them again when I am next up that way.
No problem. From what I can gather they still also have a few West of England Airport Flyer Scania E400MMCs.

Goldfish62

Established Member
What will replace the stuff currently on loan to SPS - is SPS ordering new stock?
Yes.

SPS needs new stock regularly due to expansion of the work site and an age limit on the vehicles used on the contract.

Yes.

SPS needs new stock regularly due to expansion of the work site and an age limit on the vehicles used on the contract.
It seems now SPS have their new bus orders coming through as it looks like they’ve received a number of E200MMCs and Mercedes coaches so far but I think to enable for the Kernow MMCs to start returning home, is for new deckers to start coming in due course.

Does anyone know has 32756 - WA54 OLO been on the road recently as looks to have been out of service for a while now?
It hasn’t tracked since April I don’t believe…

Also I’m coming down to Cornwall for a few days today from Devon so this could be my only chance to see the ALXs so better get some shots of them while I can. Who knows I may even be lucky enough to ride one or two of them.

On the Buses

No it’s social distancing relaxation that removed the need for the MMCs. They will be returning across August in any case.

Goldfish62

Established Member
No it’s social distancing relaxation that removed the need for the MMCs. They will be returning across August in any case.
Their return will be very welcome. Although some enthusiasts may like some of the more senior buses currently in the fleet they're not great for the company image.

Busgeek

32756 is very poorly.