• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

richw

Veteran Member
I think one problem is that it does not have very good connections from Plymouth. Only 1 each way from Plymouth to Tavistock. If I want to go out to say Princetown or Moretonhampstead I barely have time for cup of coffee before bus back. I appreciate there is Stagecoach service 1 from Plymouth but this makes it very expensive to pay £6 to Stagecoach then the ,£10 Dartmoor Explorer fare to First
From Plymouth to Princetown you can have just over 2 hours in Princetown. Have noticed a good number of passengers going to the tea rooms for lunch.
There are some short hop Single and return fares available alongside the £10 Explorer fare.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MarkC

From Plymouth to Princetown you can have just over 2 hours in Princetown. Have noticed a good number of passengers going to the tea rooms for lunch.
There are some short hop Single and return fares available alongside the £10 Explorer fare.
Thanks just the 2 hour time is rather early to perhaps enjoy lunch for example. I appreciate it is fitting around college runs but hoped for extra service maybe from Plymouth in summer as is being done from Exeter. Good to.know re fares, I have tried to get this info by email but did not get any response? Be interested in fare from Plymouth and Tavistock to Postbridge/Moretonhampstead

richw

Veteran Member
Thanks just the 2 hour time is rather early to perhaps enjoy lunch for example. I appreciate it is fitting around college runs but hoped for extra service maybe from Plymouth in summer as is being done from Exeter. Good to.know re fares, I have tried to get this info by email but did not get any response? Be interested in fare from Plymouth and Tavistock to Postbridge/Moretonhampstead
Tavistock to Mortonhampstead is £9 return, as I had a passenger buy one of those today.

A recommendation for anyone going to Mortonhampstead would be to go to the butcher for a baguette for lunch.
The butcher will put any of their cold meats/cheeses into a baguette, or I pushed the boat out and asked for a steak sandwich today and they cooked a steak from their meat counter for me and into a baguette for a mere £5! They have Home baked cakes too, delicious!

On the Buses

That's good to know. It's just that in the photos I've seen, plus reports from those who have travelled on it loadings have been very low so far.
We’re only just starting to promote it

Any updates on the Lolynes and 33036/33085?
Back of the queue as we have the E200s nearly available for this season. First one passed certification today and now with us.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Thanks, any news on the Lizars open tops?
Has the first Lizard gemini be painted?

@On the Buses what will the two T plate ELCs be used on once they’re ready? Also I think a few of us are curious as to when 33036/85 will finally be used on the L1.
Curious, yes but these questions have been asked quite a few times now. Clearly, they would have hoped that both would've been in service by now. Both are quite mature machines now and have been stood/not used regularly so there will be various gremlins to be worked out.

Notwithstanding, First Kernow and the paintshops may well have staff shortages from an uptick in Covid so this will also undoubtedly have an impact on maintenance and paint schedules. Let's just be patient ;)

RPI

Established Member
What have the Exeter explorer loadings being like? I've seen it a few times leaving St Davids empty but obviously most people may board later on, £10 does seem quite pricey for that one.

What have the Exeter explorer loadings being like? I've seen it a few times leaving St Davids empty but obviously most people may board later on, £10 does seem quite pricey for that one.
Most of the times I’ve seen it, it’s mostly been empty, it mainly either seems to have little or no passengers at the moment.

Thanks, any news on the Lizars open tops?
Has the first Lizard gemini be painted?
On the Buses stated last week they were painting the first Gemini for the Lizard fleet. He also stated another Gemini, 2 x East Lancs Tridents and 33420-422 would get it too in due course.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkC

Tavistock to Mortonhampstead is £9 return, as I had a passenger buy one of those today.

A recommendation for anyone going to Mortonhampstead would be to go to the butcher for a baguette for lunch.
The butcher will put any of their cold meats/cheeses into a baguette, or I pushed the boat out and asked for a steak sandwich today and they cooked a steak from their meat counter for me and into a baguette for a mere £5! They have Home baked cakes too, delicious!
Thanks for info. May take up the suggestion thanks. As you drive the service sometimes , does it stop at all stops en-route in Plymouth or just those listed please? Ie can I board at any stop along Outland Road or is it just Milehouse or Crownhill?

richw

Veteran Member
Thanks for info. May take up the suggestion thanks. As you drive the service sometimes , does it stop at all stops en-route in Plymouth or just those listed please? Ie can I board at any stop along Outland Road or is it just Milehouse or Crownhill?
It’s limited stop- only those named between railway station and Roborough roundabout.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
It's only becuase I'm exited to see Lizard branded Geminis around, rather then white or Barbie coloured Alx400s.
I know you are. However, you did get a response on Thursday - not long when you consider the weekend was in the way. Just relax and wait for them to arrive. It'll be a nice surprise if you rock on up one morning and one is suddenly there :D

As for the debate on certain Blackburn based bodybuilders of yore.... I'm sure Gus is well aware but not everyone is as experienced. Some of us could bore for England on MAPs and VNPs......

richw

Veteran Member
29901 is 198UUO, a Bedford SB/Duple Vega and 29902 AFJ77B, an AEC Reliance/Harrington originally new to Greenslades.
Marc Morgan Huws tweeted a photo of both of these at the end of May in Summercourt yard. His tweet said they were visiting from King Harry Coaches
Very surprised yet exciting to see this!

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Marc Morgan Huws tweeted a photo of both of these at the end of May in Summercourt yard. His tweet said they were visiting from King Harry Coaches
Very surprised yet exciting to see this!
Probably best to get some clarity from the man himself. Might be some sort of loan agreement and they receive fleetnumbers for fuelling and maintenance reasons, rather than purchases etc?

Certainly, it's a change!!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Probably best to get some clarity from the man himself. Might be some sort of loan agreement and they receive fleetnumbers for fuelling and maintenance reasons, rather than purchases etc?

Certainly, it's a change!!
Wasn't aware of the Reliance being owned by King Harry, whereas have seen the Bedford dozens of times over the last quarter century or so, even in such mundane places as Morrisons, Penzance car park!

83G/84D

Established Member
Nice to see the Lizards coming together.
Hopefully we will get to see at least some of them in service on the L1 this summer. I am not sure what's happened to 33085 since it's premature and abrupt withdrawl back to Camborne.

Little sign of activity on T819 RFG recently whilst T820 resides in Truro. I guess other work is taking priority ahead of these two.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Both 33172 (LR02LYP) and 33181 (LR02LZA) are now shown as SORN on the DVLA website.
Are they officially withdrawn?

Hopefully we will get to see at least some of them in service on the L1 this summer. I am not sure what's happened to 33085 since it's premature and abrupt withdrawl back to Camborne.
@TheGrandWazoo suggested the other day that it could be suffering from gremlins but maybe not enough engineering staff around at the moment due to an uptick in Covid cases so that is a possibility to bear in mind. I caught a glimpse of it at Camborne around the corner on Sunday on the T1 before going back home to Exeter on Monday. I also saw T819 RFG parked up at the end by the garage at the depot too.

Last edited: