• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

teggers419

We’re withdrawing them in the logical order for business efficiency.
Also 33072 and 33182 appear to be used more than most and both look well kept so are obviously more reliable..33172 was quite tatty, not sure of the reasons for 33181(Poppy Bus)??

cnjb8

Established Member
Also 33072 and 33182 appear to be used more than most and both look well kept so are obviously more reliable..33172 was quite tatty, not sure of the reasons for 33181(Poppy Bus)??
Just because it wears the Kernow livery, doesn’t necessarily mean it’s in top condition

teggers419

Just because it wears the Kernow livery, doesn’t necessarily mean it’s in top condition
That wasn't the point I was making. Of all the Tridents left 072 and 182 see more use than all of the others so for that point alone surely must have something to do with reliability and performance?

That wasn't the point I was making. Of all the Tridents left 072 and 182 see more use than all of the others so for that point alone surely must have something to do with reliability and performance??

Read into what "on the buses" quotes as business efficiency and that is exactly my point. You withdraw the least efficient and keep the most efficient! So simple!

Last edited by a moderator:

On the Buses

That wasn't the point I was making. Of all the Tridents left 072 and 182 see more use than all of the others so for that point alone surely must have something to do with reliability and performance??

Read into what "on the buses" quotes as business efficiency and that is exactly my point. You withdraw the least efficient and keep the most efficient!!!! So simple!!!
And the least efficient has a failed engine.

S.Jacket

Now that Truro college has finished until September, will the rest of the closed top Volvo B7TL ALX400s soon be off fleet too?

On the Buses

Now that Truro college has finished until September, will the rest of the closed top Volvo B7TL ALX400s soon be off fleet too?
Yes. Over the next week as we need to move fleet around to get them off. Departing pretty much daily from 7th.

On the Buses

Are the loaned Holmeswood ALXs leaving anytime soon?
In theory they would be surplus when all 30 MMCs are back and could leave then. However, they are our headroom to backfill any Trident Presidents that expire in the meantime, and available for new contracts which we always have an interest in
We’re expecting a large number of cascades in the first quarter of 2022 though, which will see off all closed top deckers apart from the E400s / MMCs / Geminis and ELC Tridents

What will happen to the trainer liveried ALXs? Will they go back to being training vehicles or join most of the other ALXs to Ensign?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
In theory they would be surplus when all 30 MMCs are back and could leave then. However, they are our headroom to backfill any Trident Presidents that expire in the meantime, and available for new contracts which we always have an interest in
We’re expecting a large number of cascades in the first quarter of 2022 though, which will see off all closed top deckers apart from the E400s / MMCs / Geminis and ELC Tridents
You've made a rod for your back there :lol:

It's never dull with FSW though, and glad to see the rather time expired ALXs and Tridents head off

You've made a rod for your back there :lol:

It's never dull with FSW though, and glad to see the rather time expired ALXs and Tridents head off
First have really excited me with their products for this year! Certainly more interesting than Stagecoach at the moment in my view!!

vla50

So all the B7TLs would also go?

cnjb8

Established Member
Sorry just reread your post and noticed however couldn't find the delete button! Very sorry
Press the three dots at the bottom to edit the post, I don’t think you can delete posts unfortunately

So good to see FSW go from the dumping ground of First to arguably one of its most innovative companies!

vla50

Press the three dots at the bottom to edit the post, I don’t think you can delete posts unfortunately

So good to see FSW go from the dumping ground of First to arguably one of its most innovative companies!
Definitely, it's amazing to see. I love how well Bus Back Better has been embraced in the company and how old buses have been completely done up to do these services.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Definitely, it's amazing to see. I love how well Bus Back Better has been embraced in the company and how old buses have been completely done up to do these services.
TBF, First South West have been excellent long before BBB from a very low base, removing the deadwood operations and the pesky opposition, and developing the operations. There was Vision 2020 and whilst we were never party to what it contained (and why should we), it's clear that they had plans for developing the operations even with the loss of the contracts to Go Ahead.

The retention and accumulation of elderly deckers has been a necessity with social distancing and most would never have lasted 2020, let alone into 2021, had it not been for Covid.

vla50

TBF, First South West have been excellent long before BBB from a very low base, removing the deadwood operations and the pesky opposition, and developing the operations. There was Vision 2020 and whilst we were never party to what it contained (and why should we), it's clear that they had plans for developing the operations even with the loss of the contracts to Go Ahead.

The retention and accumulation of elderly deckers has been a necessity with social distancing and most would never have lasted 2020, let alone into 2021, had it not been for Covid.
Ditto the last statement, I do wonder whether any of these buses will have a life beyond the FSW ops.

richw

Veteran Member
Ditto the last statement, I do wonder whether any of these buses will have a life beyond the FSW ops.
I think some of the Bath uni liveried examples might. They’ve had a fairly decent interior refurb at some point as well as fitted with usb chargers and WiFi. From what I’ve seen that batch seem pretty reliable and don’t spend much time off the road. A coat of paint and they’ll make ok school buses or a cheap psvar decker option for an independent somewhere

Whiteway215

Established Member
Of the ‘temporary fleet’ 32286/87 had already passed to Ensign in April. Both were then reported by Ensign as being sold on to C & G Coaches, Peterborough in May.
Presumably their fellows from that batch 32280/84/85 will be going to Ensign soon and as 03 plate buses perhaps they may have a future with another operator?

vla50

Of the ‘temporary fleet’ 32286/87 had already passed to Ensign in April. Both were then reported by Ensign as being sold on to C & G Coaches, Peterborough in May.
Presumably their fellows from that batch 32280/84/85 will be going to Ensign soon and as 03 plate buses perhaps they may have a future with another operator?
They could maybe not have as much of a chance compared to the 51 reg examples because they have USBs but then you look at the Ex London 52 reg examples and they sold exceptionally well. 32250-32259 all were sent to Ensign and 8 of the 10 found new homes.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Very surprised to see some of the 'temporary fleet' appearing on the bus tracker today.
30565 on U1, 32014 on D5, 32015 on 87 and 32069 on S2. Or are these because of ticket machine swaps?