• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

On the Buses

This is the schedule for having the vehicles ready to depart.

Attachments

• 54639466-D154-466B-A577-FD9BA562D55D.png
    54639466-D154-466B-A577-FD9BA562D55D.png
    664.5 KB · Views: 179
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cnjb8

Established Member
Or it just could be what "on the buses" quoted as was to happen from the 7th July onwards! 4 different vehicles of the type due to be withdrawn from that date aren't likely all at the same time mysteriously to be using different ticket machines and still be in use! Keep up guys he is the main man and TELLS us what is actually happening!
Calm down, it’s not that big a deal

Thank you On the Buses for that list :)

Whiteway215

Established Member
Thank you to ‘On the Buses’ for the disposal schedule.

PS I see 32075 is not included on the list.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Thank you for this, will be sad to see these lovely vehicles go!
To be honest, their time has more than come (and gone). 30877 isn't a lovely machine; neither is 32015 (which looks terrible). The ALXs are well put together, but are shabby and tired now (and TBF, the seats have always been awful on the older ones from 2000-2). They've had a reprieve of another 12-18 months but they've done their time. Good for gricers but for the general public.... they'll be happy to have the MMCs back and a fleet of well presented (albeit still mature) Geminis and the odd Trident.

To be honest, their time has more than come (and gone). 30877 isn't a lovely machine; neither is 32015 (which looks terrible). The ALXs are well put together, but are shabby and tired now (and TBF, the seats have always been awful on the older ones from 2000-2). They've had a reprieve of another 12-18 months but they've done their time. Good for gricers but for the general public.... they'll be happy to have the MMCs back and a fleet of well presented (albeit still mature) Geminis and the odd Trident.
I certainly agree about 32015 not looking the best! Definitely seen it’s day now I think! I’m glad the ELC Tridents are staying though. The white ALXs I’ve heard are staying until early 2022 and could also backfill any Presidents that could fail between now and then. On the Buses said also that they’re expecting a large number of cascades in the early part of next year.

fgwrich

Established Member

Attachments

• C479A4A6-6A3B-4FBD-94EC-4EAD0B36490F.jpeg
    C479A4A6-6A3B-4FBD-94EC-4EAD0B36490F.jpeg
    386.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited by a moderator:

carlberry

Established Member
I think we have our answer to an earlier question.

A hint of a tweet from Marc last night:
Ah, you must mean where the ALXs with the uncomfortable seats are going!! Or bringing in some Iveco breadvans, another classic!

It really is quite incredible to remember this is still the same company that, not that many years ago, ran a fleet that mostly consisted of cast offs from other areas presented in a way that reinforced how old they were and, consequently, was contracting all over the place as other companies moved in on it's territory.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I think we have our answer to an earlier question.

A hint of a tweet from Marc last night:
I'm lost now (It's my age) but what question was it answering :oops:
Ah, you must mean where the ALXs with the uncomfortable seats are going!! Or bringing in some Iveco breadvans, another classic!

It really is quite incredible to remember this is still the same company that, not that many years ago, ran a fleet that mostly consisted of cast offs from other areas presented in a way that reinforced how old they were and, consequently, was contracting all over the place as other companies moved in on it's territory.
Absolutely this!

I remember the days of Mark Howarth at Western National, and it was a business that had a decent image (badgers and flags) even if the fleet was a little mature. Even in the mid 90s, they were operating some older VRs (about the same age profile as the Geminis now) and they were refurbished and repainted and did sterling work on lesser services (and some core ones) etc whilst there was investment in newer fleet (mainly Darts and Mercs) for those routes that could justify it.

Then First came along and with his departure, you had Truronian and Western Greyhound expanding as WN contracted. New vehicles became scarcer, and it was a dumping ground for all manner of tat. Ex Aberdeen Atlanteans and ex West London Merc minis were the nadir. However, whilst the VRs continued soldiering on becoming ever more tatty, those that were sacrificed for spares were replaced by ex London Metrobuses or NBC era Olympians barely newer. The mid 2000s were shocking and it was perhaps only the purchase of Truronian that along with the fact they'd hit rock bottom and stablised meant things got slightly better/stopped getting worse.

It really is incredible that a business that received virtually no new vehicles between 2005 and 2015 has since had the level of investment that it has, and has re-established itself. The failure to obtain the Cornwall Council tender is a downside (for First, and for the public) but they (the current team) have continued to display a business acumen and entrepreneurial spirit that many should learn the lessons of.

On the Buses

Thank you for this, will be sad to see these lovely vehicles go!

Just out of curiosity, will there be a schedule too for which days the 30 MMCs are returning next month?
I’ll be very glad to see the back of them.

Thank you to ‘On the Buses’ for the disposal schedule.

PS I see 32075 is not included on the list.
It will follow but is part of a different part exchange

teggers419

If they’re the ones with red fronts they’re all still with us.

Is it? Would all of the current ventures have been possible if the business was committed to the tenders?
Agree mate and as well with current staff levels already short, as proven by the temporary suspension of Daytripper and S1/2/3 services from Saturday!!

Andyh82

Established Member
Agree mate and as well with current staff levels already short, as proven by the temporary suspension of Daytripper and S1/2/3 services from Saturday!!
Oh dear, I planned to use some of those when I come down for a holiday next week

I’ll have to drive instead

Are any of the other ‘Adventures’ at risk. Such as the Dartmoor Explorer or the Lizards?

83G/84D

Established Member
32527 and 37001 both seen at Stuart’s Volvo in mid Cornwall today. 37002 which carries base Lizard colours is in Camborne.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Is it? Would all of the current ventures have been possible if the business was committed to the tenders?
Of course it's a downside! It would be foolish to pretend otherwise. 50% of the local bus network up for grabs and nothing won. The various new commercial ventures are a brave and hopefully successful attempt to fill that void.

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
I was just wondering whether those were the school extras along with the Tridents if they are staying until at least September.
If that was the case, schools finish in the next 10 days, so safe to conclude not.

On the Buses

What’s going now is replaced by the first 20 returning MMCs.
The balance will replace whatever we deem we most want gone. Any remaining duplicates are balanced by Uni returning.
We haven’t fixed what goes next not least because we’re waiting on tender results and managing failures