• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

32179 has only been out for the past 5 days so expect just some routine maintenance.

32726 and 32727 have been out of service to have their on-board 'tour commentary' systems installed as quoted by Marc Huws on Twitter (https://twitter.com/MarcMorganHuws/status/1408833358818316292).

33036 has not yet entered service, but is with First South West and I expect is in the queue for service prep (as quoted from post #15,435 by @83G/84D)

33085 suffered a fault the day it entered service so possibly in the queue to be repaired.

There has been no mention of 32800 on here so presumably not working at the moment.
I do hope 33036 & 33085 see service on the L1 later this summer even only if it is for a bit!

The two T plate Lolynes are at the back of the queue for service prep so personally I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t see service until next year.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

vla50

I do hope 33036 & 33085 see service on the L1 later this summer even only if it is for a bit!

The two T plate Lolynes are at the back of the queue for service prep so personally I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t see service until next year.
Not saying I don't like the Lolynes because I definitely do but would they last very long other than 1 or 2 seasonal seasons? So would they still be worthwhile come 2022 if they in fact do enter service then. I definitely do not want this to be seen this as negative.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Not saying I don't like the Lolynes because I definitely do but would they last very long other than 1 or 2 seasonal seasons? So would they still be worthwhile come 2022 if they in fact do enter service then. I definitely do not want this to be seen this as negative.
The purchase of these elderly machines is pretty sensible. There's a load of new services that are speculative ventures so it makes sense to buy some relatively inexpensive fleet for a couple of seasons to minimise commercial risk and provide a bit of extra resource.

vla50

The purchase of these elderly machines is pretty sensible. There's a load of new services that are speculative ventures so it makes sense to buy some relatively inexpensive fleet for a couple of seasons to minimise commercial risk and provide a bit of extra resource.
If these projects do end up being successful for example like the Falmouth Coaster which though I really like the bus it has at the moment (same with Exeter/the plain Atlantic base livery tridents) would there be consideration to perhaps purchase something newer if demand would warrant it? I mean tbh as I've said I'm happy at the mo with what they've got.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
If these projects do end up being successful for example like the Falmouth Coaster which though I really like the bus it has at the moment (same with Exeter/the plain Atlantic base livery tridents) would there be consideration to perhaps purchase something newer if demand would warrant it? I mean tbh as I've said I'm happy at the mo with what they've got.
That is doubtless something that First South West will consider. It is very early days and they need to see which services survive and thrive, and which don’t. Clearly, 20+ yr old Tridents aren’t a long term solution but fine in the interim.

cnjb8

Established Member

That is doubtless something that First South West will consider. It is very early days and they need to see which services survive and thrive, and which don’t. Clearly, 20+ yr old Tridents aren’t a long term solution but fine in the interim.
All of this was detailed a few pages ago

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Oh my apologies :)
A lot does get mentioned on here so nothing much to worry about the odd oversight ;)

@On the Buses does share information when it's pertinent to do so but obviously, some aspects are commercially confidential, require discussion with stakeholders (e.g. tourist attractions, academic bodies, councils, staff/trade unions) or are simply unknown. There are a lot of new ventures that First South West are developing in respect of open toppers. Whilst there's a belief in some quarters that these are surefire hits as the UK population is confined to these shores, it's never that straightforward even with excellent marketing, market research, de-risking spend etc. Hopefully, they will prosper and that will enable some updating of fleet in due course but we will have to see.

If there is one thing that we can all recognise, it is that First South West is perhaps one of the most innovative and interesting businesses going. When the MMCs return and the majority of the aged temporary fleet departs, it will be a much newer, better presented operation and they are continuing to develop the business further. It certainly won't be boring.

Whiteway215

Established Member
When Training buses 30878 30879 30880 (sadly now departing!) were brought back to be used on services, what did Kernow use for driver training?

The Daytrippers and the S routes in Newquay are suspended at the moment due to a huge number of drivers self isolating. They’re currently hoping for these services to be resumed from July 26th at least.

swifty

Established Member
Yes, I know you've got to operate it because of that.

To be fair it’s the bus off of the incoming Dartmoor Explorer doing a round trip, before heading back, which has happened everyday for the last week or so. It’s usually a Gemini though.

richw

Veteran Member
According to Bustimes Solo 53864 is on Discover Exeter today! Hardly worth operating!
Defective Gemini at Plymouth this morning meant the driver of the 0950 Tavistock to Exeter needed to take the spare Solo. The Plymouth driver covers the 1200 discover Exeter to allow the Exeter driver a break!

Goldfish62

Established Member
Defective Gemini at Plymouth this morning meant the driver of the 0950 Tavistock to Exeter needed to take the spare Solo. The Plymouth driver covers the 1200 discover Exeter to allow the Exeter driver a break!
Ah right. Thanks for the explanation.

83G/84D

Established Member
Trident 32758 was in Camborne yesterday with some bodywork damage at the rear.

One of the Park and Ride Scania’s was on the T1/T2 whilst one of the former training buses was on the L5.

Busgeek

I just popped by Helston outstation before going to get some shopping at Sainsbury's. I was sad to see no open toppers in Helston for the L1 now. It seems like they will never get the open tops ready.

Last edited by a moderator:

On the Buses

Just popped in helston outstation before going to get some shopping at Sainsbury's. Sad to see no opentoppers in helston for the L1 now. Seems like they will never get the open tops ready
Along with drivers isolating as an industry were also struggling with supply of parts. There’s a particular problem with engine parts.

83G/84D

Established Member
I just popped by Helston outstation before going to get some shopping at Sainsbury's. I was sad to see no open toppers in Helston for the L1 now. It seems like they will never get the open tops ready.

The Falmouth open top service is closed top (32359) again today and the Exeter tour is a closed top presumably for the reasons given previously.

Yellow painted Enviro 200 registration YX58 HVF is in Camborne today.

Last edited:

Lizard1324

Just noticed 37058 YJ06 XMK Volvo B7TL Open Top was tracking on the L1 today (seen on bustimes.org)
The open top B9 was on the L1 last week.
Edit: there is a photo of 37058 being towed out of sennen so unlikely was 37058 on the L1

Last edited:

teggers419

Are the disposals of ALXs to Ensign taking place as planned?
Yes. The following vehicles are now off fleet.
30877 30878 32014 32069 32070 32076 32083 32096 32280 32284 32285. Not sure which ones have arrived at Ensigns although 32280 and 32285 were quoted as leaving today.

Tridents 33143 33172 33181 have also been withdrawn.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Yes. The following vehicles are now off fleet.
30877 30878 32014 32069 32070 32076 32083 32096 32280 32284 32285. Not sure which ones have arrived at Ensigns although 32280 and 32285 were quoted as leaving today.

Tridents 33143 33172 33181 have also been withdrawn.
A few familiar machines heading off there with 32284/5 especially so. I'm sure a number will be sold on to operators looking to remove step entrance deckers from schools work - there must be still a few ex Dublin Bus Olympians out there!

Whilst the earlier Tridents were a bit ponderous, the later Presidents (33***) seemingly felt better. I used to quite like the President with the bonded glazing so a little sad to see them head off but they've probably battled on for a year or more longer than we might have expected.