• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
Has been for the past week, covering for citaros routine maintance and failures.
Saw it last week.

On both the Citaros I travelled on last week (first time for a good while) the audio/visual next stop displays weren't working, with non-stop adverts being shown instead. Has the system been switched off?

Bazer

Ah okay, I didn’t know that.The extra seats will be handy for late night Christmas shopping.

Saw it last week.

On both the Citaros I travelled on last week (first time for a good while) the audio/visual next stop displays weren't working, with non-stop adverts being shown instead. Has the system been switched off?
The system has been switched off with the Christmas diverson that's in effect on a Wednesday and Saturday. The service doesn't serve Quay street after 15:00 on a Wednesday and all day Saturday but the system still thinks its approaching Quay street even though the vehicle is on the diversion route because the diversion enters the GPS activation point.

Ah okay, I didn’t know that.The extra seats will be handy for late night Christmas shopping.
It is has been handy. 38225 has also been a needed workhorse covering for the past few weeks.

vla50

Like we saw with the Summer break, could we potentially see similar during the Christmas break where perhaps fleet movements continue and perhaps say like where the Unibus/First Urban/Kernow Trainer ALXs were withdrawn, could we see a similar scenario where school fleet is brought out and used over the period for any further fleet shuffling and the White/Red Front ALXs then withdrawn and perhaps 32670/37003 make a move to Somerset?

On the Buses

Like we saw with the Summer break, could we potentially see similar during the Christmas break where perhaps fleet movements continue and perhaps say like where the Unibus/First Urban/Kernow Trainer ALXs were withdrawn, could we see a similar scenario where school fleet is brought out and used over the period for any further fleet shuffling and the White/Red Front ALXs then withdrawn and perhaps 32670/37003 make a move to Somerset?
There’s nothing to shuffle

richw

Veteran Member
Is the Padstow P&R still in operation, and if not, are there inklings that it might come back at some point?
It’s only ever been summer season, and is run by the land owner who contracts the buses. It didn’t run in 2020 or 21, with a park and walk scheme used in 2021

83G/84D

Established Member
Rail replacement services operate this week in West Cornwall due to engineering work, starting on Monday. Buses replace trains between Penzance and Truro until Friday and between St Erth and St Ives on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

I don’t know what buses or coaches are being supplied but heard that First/ Truronian are involved.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Have any of the Tridents or recently withdrawn B7TL's left the company yet, or are they still awaiting collection?
It will be interesting to see if this is the point at which the remaining B7TL ALXs are taken out of service with the colleges and schools heading for their Christmas and New Year breaks.

vla50

It will be interesting to see if this is the point at which the remaining B7TL ALXs are taken out of service with the colleges and schools heading for their Christmas and New Year breaks.
I imagine as soon as more E500s are used on other services and as more are entering service. They could probably be used to trade say 2 conventional deckers for an E500, so it then lowers the PVR. But for all I know I could be talking absolute wobble.

At the moment they're only being used on the 91, 273 & U1X.

On the Buses

Is the Padstow P&R still in operation, and if not, are there inklings that it might come back at some point?
It’s winter! It’ll be back in spring.

I imagine as soon as more E500s are used on other services and as more are entering service. They could probably be used to trade say 2 conventional deckers for an E500, so it then lowers the PVR. But for all I know I could be talking absolute wobble.

At the moment they're only being used on the 91, 273 & U1X.
You are !
They are where they should be. There are no more to come.

richw

Veteran Member
I’ve currently got 32277 for Callington to Truro college since last week. First time I’ve had a ALX400 for this run. I’ve been pleasantly surprised it may not be very pretty, but it drives very smoothly, and the heating is very toasty. People thought I was mad driving in a short sleeve shirt today!
If it is withdrawn and disposed of as you suggest, it will make a good acquisition for someone in my opinion.

baza585

Interesting, considering the number of services cancelled yesterday on Twitter that they can resource rail but not service work!
Indeed. I imagine the TCs would take a dim view of this, but would they ever pick it up?

richw

Veteran Member
Yesterday during a brief look around I saw TfC / Go Cornwall, Roselyn and Truronian on rail replacement.
A dart in TFL livery for one of the st ives based indies left the station in tandem with a Truronian Levante as I was passing Truro station this morning. Two completely opposite types of quality of vehicle for the passengers!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
A dart in TFL livery for one of the st ives based indies left the station in tandem with a Truronian Levante as I was passing Truro station this morning. Twos completely opposite types of quality of vehicle for the passengers!
Might have been the same Dart that pulled out from the Texaco filling station on the A30 at St Erth across the traffic, causing me to do an emergency stop!

S.Jacket

A dart in TFL livery for one of the st ives based indies left the station in tandem with a Truronian Levante as I was passing Truro station this morning. Two completely opposite types of quality of vehicle for the passengers!
Would that be St.Ives Bus Co the operator of said Dart?

richw

Veteran Member
Think it was a Caetano Nimbus with the reg starting with FJ55 as I saw it in Carbis Bay this evening (apologies if going off topic).
No it wasn’t. It’s a plaxton pointer body one. It’s been at Truro around 835 every morning so far this week.