• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
Coming soon to the Lands End Coaster 2023?

For clarity, the Tweet links to the following BBC article:

I did think that after seeing the Wrights body, but, isn't that a Wolf in Drag, aka a Mercedes powered Streetdeck in disguise.

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
I did think that after seeing the Wrights body, but, isn't that a Mercedes powered Streetdeck in disguise / Gemini 3 etc?
Yes, one of the very early models with non-standard bodywork. You don't want that heap of **** anywhere near the Land's End Coaster. :lol:

Volvo142

Cornwall By Kernow's former 30955 - a Volvo B7/ALX 400 (YJ51 RCU) is now with Hawkes Coaches in Derby, still in traditional First livery, minus the fleet names.

Established Member
Cornwall By Kernow's former 30955 - a Volvo B7/ALX 400 (YJ51 RCU) is now with Hawkes Coaches in Derby, still in traditional First livery, minus the fleet names.
Think I passed it in Derby last week after it sitting at the back of Ascot Drive depot for a while. It had Borderbus? on the destination.

83G/84D

Established Member
It seems that First are operating the St Erth railway station car park shuttle again. I have seen a Solo outside the station several times this week.

richw

Veteran Member
It seems that First are operating the St Erth railway station car park shuttle again. I have seen a Solo outside the station several times this week.
Correct.
The short term go ahead cover was outside of the normal season and was arranged at very short notice according to a GoAhead manager.

Paperyostrich

Out of interest, is there any plans to upgrade the bus stop flag poles into Buses of Somerset colours? I have noticed a few have been done - i.e St Mary's crescent and Elliots drive in Yeovil, Swell turn and at the half moon pub in Somerton (plus quite a few in Taunton) May be wrong but I thought I heard there was a programme for replacing them all a while ago? Can't find any info now however

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Out of interest, is there any plans to upgrade the bus stop flag poles into Buses of Somerset colours? I have noticed a few have been done - i.e St Mary's crescent and Elliots drive in Yeovil, Swell turn and at the half moon pub in Somerton (plus quite a few in Taunton) May be wrong but I thought I heard there was a programme for replacing them all a while ago? Can't find any info now however
It seemed that when the BoS identity was rolled out, the aim was to replace the bus stop flags. Seem to recall a quote that they weren't simply going to slap a vinyl over the existing signage.

In the original core patch of Taunton and Bridgwater, for want of a better phrase, that was pretty well done and even out to Wellington, Burnham and Minehead. The 54 out to Yeovil was a bit more sporadic so you can get a mix of First and BoS in Somerton and Curry Rivel. However, on those routes that came to BoS subsequently like the 75 and 77 that came from First West of England, and the Yeovil network from First Wessex, then there's little change from 10 years ago.

Perhaps the more surprising absence is that the Yeovil depot didn't receive Buses of Somerset signage. The bus station also appears as resolutely First. I know that both may have limited futures, depending on redevelopment opportunities etc, but I do find that a bit of a surprise.

MarkC

We have still got a First Western National one on our stop in Plymouth from the 90's. That is 7 years after First pulled out of Plymouth of course

Goldfish62

Established Member
We have still got a First Western National one on our stop in Plymouth from the 90's. That is 7 years after First pulled out of Plymouth of course
There are quite a few legacy stop flags around the place in Cornwall which should have been replaced with TfC flags. There's a First barbie style one at Newlyn Bridge advertising "Open top 1/1A" for example.

Paperyostrich

It seemed that when the BoS identity was rolled out, the aim was to replace the bus stop flags. Seem to recall a quote that they weren't simply going to slap a vinyl over the existing signage.

In the original core patch of Taunton and Bridgwater, for want of a better phrase, that was pretty well done and even out to Wellington, Burnham and Minehead. The 54 out to Yeovil was a bit more sporadic so you can get a mix of First and BoS in Somerton and Curry Rivel. However, on those routes that came to BoS subsequently like the 75 and 77 that came from First West of England, and the Yeovil network from First Wessex, then there's little change from 10 years ago.

Perhaps the more surprising absence is that the Yeovil depot didn't receive Buses of Somerset signage. The bus station also appears as resolutely First. I know that both may have limited futures, depending on redevelopment opportunities etc, but I do find that a bit of a surprise.
In Yeovil bus station they have made more of an effort now (the entrance signs and some stands as well as stand markers are all done in BoS colours)

Just seems that some random stops in Yeovil have been done, some have been revinyled in generic first looks and some, especially those along Coombe Street Lane are in very old colours. Just gives a bit of a confusing identity. Plus on a personal level I find the BoS branded stops much easier to see when I am driving! Also noticed there are a couple of stops where the pole is there but the flagpole is missing

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
In Yeovil bus station they have made more of an effort now (the entrance signs and some stands as well as stand markers are all done in BoS colours)
Apologies - you are right that they did the stands. I was thinking more of the former travel office etc, unless that's changed since I last popped down.

In Yeovil, you have the very old ones (that date from when it was under control from Bristol) but the newer ones are of the style of ones in Southampton from when it was under Hampshire and Dorset auspices.

richw

Veteran Member
There are quite a few legacy stop flags around the place in Cornwall which should have been replaced with TfC flags. There's a First barbie style one at Newlyn Bridge advertising "Open top 1/1A" for example.
There’s a faded Truronian one on St Austell street in Truro opposite Kemp close near old bridge street car park!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
A very smoky 53704 going up Market Jew Street, and not much less smoky back down later. Roll on new buses for the Mousehole!

Goldfish62

Established Member
A very smoky 53704 going up Market Jew Street, and not much less smoky back down later. Roll on new buses for the Mousehole!
They've given the impression they're on their last legs for a while now, not helped by the very faded paintwork, but I think you're being a bit optimistic on new buses for The Mousehole. I feel that if it was thought worth investing in new buses for the route this would have happened during the new bus bonanza time a few years ago.

Not sure what's going to happen when the Solos finally expire. Apart from when a handful of remaining 608Ds hung around well past their sell-off dates I can't remember when the route ever had such an elderly fleet age profile.

On the Buses

They've given the impression they're on their last legs for a while now, not helped by the very faded paintwork, but I think you're being a bit optimistic on new buses for The Mousehole. I feel that if it was thought worth investing in new buses for the route this would have happened during the new bus bonanza time a few years ago.

Not sure what's going to happen when the Solos finally expire. Apart from when a handful of remaining 608Ds hung around well past their sell-off dates I can't remember when the route ever had such an elderly fleet age profile.
We’re hoping to replace them this year !

83G/84D

Established Member
I saw it leave Camborne this afternoon with an engineer behind the wheel but no smoke of note observed. Wonder when 53503 will be in use? Sounds like it might be needed soon.

Callum15632

Not sure if reported on here yet but Ex First West Of England South Glos Lynx 37003 has moved from Cornwall to Bridgwater. A driver that works for Buses Of Somerset Bridgwater Depot said on Facebook.

On the Buses

Not sure if reported on here yet but Ex First West Of England South Glos Lynx 37003 has moved from Cornwall to Bridgwater. A driver that works for Buses Of Somerset Bridgwater Depot said on Facebook.
And the sole remaining First corporate liveried one