• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

83G/84D

Established Member
What was the outcome?

I used one on one of the North Wales services and found it made me feel travel sick which is something I've not felt for a long time.

No idea. I wasn’t involved and didn’t get a chance to ride on it.
I recall it was during a period of COVID restrictions so I just saw some photos on social media.

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
No idea. I wasn’t involved and didn’t get a chance to ride on it.
I recall it was during a period of COVID restrictions so I just saw some photos on social media.
I certainly never saw it at the time.

Russel

Established Member
It's certainly interesting and reassuring to see the investment in the Cornish bus scene, it looks much better than it did when I last visited about 10 years ago.

buscoaster

I believe 33085 has blown another engine and isn’t economical to repair
If 33085 is now off the road, wouldn't it make sense to keep some of the displaced Tridents from the Lands End Coaster on the road as service vehicles rather than converting them to ticket offices?

Goldfish62

Established Member
If 33085 is now off the road, wouldn't it make sense to keep some of the displaced Tridents from the Lands End Coaster on the road as service vehicles rather than converting them to ticket offices?
You mean the Volvos?

Three are now in Sunseeker livery for the S1/S2 while I'm sure that @OnTheBuses said that the remainder would be spares. I thought it was the unbranded Tridents and and the ex-Seaford ones that were going to do sales stuff.

You mean the Volvos?

Three are now in Sunseeker livery for the S1/S2 while I'm sure that @OnTheBuses said that the remainder would be spares. I thought it was the unbranded Tridents and and the ex-Seaford ones that were going to do sales stuff.
@On the Buses did state on Twitter there would be an open top replacement programme for next year and that Mousehole would get a new fleet…

Last edited by a moderator:

Goldfish62

Established Member
OTB did state on Twitter there would be an open top replacement programme for next year and that Mousehole would get a new fleet…
I know about Mousehole. The query was (I assume) about what happens to the current Volvos which are being displaced this year, not next year.

I know about Mousehole. The query was (I assume) about what happens to the current Volvos which are being displaced this year, not next year.
It was originally said the rest of the Volvos would be spares then 32027, the unbranded Tridents and ex Seaford East Lancs being for sales purposes but 32719 will now be used for something in Minehead and 720 is donating it’s engine to one of the Exeter Tridents but Discover Exeter has stopped now for the rest of this season. Of course 32102-04 will be the Sunseeker vehicles until they sort out the issues on the S1/S2. Plans at FSW often seem to change!

Last edited:

buscoaster

I think the Adventures by Bus website could do with an update - Discover Exeter is still shown as operational, the Dartmoor Explorer still says "provides the experience from both Exeter and Plymouth" and the Atlantic Coaster still says "take in the rugged north Cornish coast, from St Ives to Padstow". Very confusing for tourists...

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I think the Adventures by Bus website could do with an update - Discover Exeter is still shown as operational, the Dartmoor Explorer still says "provides the experience from both Exeter and Plymouth" and the Atlantic Coaster still says "take in the rugged north Cornish coast, from St Ives to Padstow". Very confusing for tourists...
Where does the Sunseeker from Ilfracombe to Lynmouth feature on the site? I couldn't find it.

That said, Roger French has tweeted pictures of well-laden vehicles on the Exmoor route so expect a blog post shortly

Goldfish62

Established Member
Where does the Sunseeker from Ilfracombe to Lynmouth feature on the site? I couldn't find it.

That said, Roger French has tweeted pictures of well-laden vehicles on the Exmoor route so expect a blog post shortly
I can't find publicity for the Sunseeker anywhere.

The Exmoor Coaster really is a major success.

Redmike

Has someone from First been reading this board today? Sunseeker seems to be online.

Ancelljb

Has someone from First been reading this board today? Sunseeker seems to be online.

That link is advertising the sunseeker S1/S2 services on the Atlantic Coast in Cornwall. Being referred to above is the Exmoor Sunseeker which is not yet advertised on the ABB website.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Has anybody noticed that the timetable in the Lands End coaster leaflet on the ABB website (https://www.firstbus.co.uk/sites/default/files/public/adventures-by-bus/lands end coaster leaflet 594x420 jun22 web.pdf ) does not match the timetable and on either Bus Times or in the timetable section of the First website. Think it must be wrong...
Apart from not showing the college journeys, which I wouldn't expect in a leaflet aimed at tourists, I am struggling to see the differences. Are there others?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Apart from not showing the college journeys, which I wouldn't expect in a leaflet aimed at tourists, I am struggling to see the differences. Are there others?
Not a direct answer, but on leaving Morrison's this afternoon I saw one going up to Long Rock bound for ''St Ives via Land's End''! Hope all the passengers knew the reality.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Not a direct answer, but on leaving Morrison's this afternoon I saw one going up to Long Rock bound for ''St Ives via Land's End''! Hope all the passengers knew the reality.
Obviously driver error.

What is needed is the route name on the front display like all other named routes. I don't understand why it hasn't been done.

83G/84D

Established Member
Obviously driver error.

What is needed is the route name on the front display like all other named routes. I don't understand why it hasn't been done.

Would it be possible to have "Lands End Coaster" as the primary display followed by the main locations it calls at scrolling below?

Therefore anticlockwise could be:- Penzance - Marazion - St Ives - Pendeen - St Just - Lands End - St Buryan - Penzance

Just a thought, I am not sure if it could be done.