• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
Some Truro college, schools and a duchy college I believe went in initially.
Both summercourt and Bodmin were maxed out, especially summercourt was struggling for space.
It’s well situated for Newquay

37328 has transferred to Kernow to apparently replace 37388 as that has issues.
From what I got told, 37388 transferred down alright and it was when engineering went to collect it that it refused to comply and at least the ECU had broken and it was looking like an expensive repair, so I guess it’s now for spares/scrap I guess.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Some Truro college, schools and a duchy college I believe went in initially.
Both summercourt and Bodmin were maxed out, especially summercourt was struggling for space.
It’s well situated for Newquay
Thanks for that. Wasn't Dairyland initially just to create space while building works were undertaken, or have I misremembered?

Interesting that they have outbases all over the county (and Devon) yet Somerset doesn't. That said, BoS fleet reductions mean there's space in depots so less need for outstations.

richw

Veteran Member
Interesting that they have outbases all over the county (and Devon) yet Somerset doesn't. That said, BoS fleet reductions mean there's space in depots so less need for outstations.
Cornwall and Devon has a lot more widely spread contract work with start points spread far and wide. Bodmin and summercourt were at bursting point. Majority of the drivers at St columb major and callington (being the two most recent openings) live closer to their new outstation and have reduced dead runs resulting in being away from home for less time each day for the same work.

E-Rail

Open top Volvo B9TL 37795 has had vinyls applied, photos here:-

(5) Marc Huws on Twitter: "Here we go B9s https://t.co/WT0TMT4WMA" / Twitter
It might just be me but I'm starting to think the Best Impressions style has had its day. That's not a criticism of Stenning's work now or in the past, and I've been a fan of most of their designs but I feel now it's starting to look and feel very dated. The Coaster colours are spot on for Cornwall but I think less is more now when it comes to the branding.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
It might just be me but I'm starting to think the Best Impressions style has had its day. That's not a criticism of Stenning's work now or in the past, and I've been a fan of most of their designs but I feel now it's starting to look and feel very dated. The Coaster colours are spot on for Cornwall but I think less is more now when it comes to the branding.
Really? It's only from 2017! Moreover, how effective is that branding - I'd suggest that for tourists (who may or may not visit the area each year) it is pretty effective.

Interesting is the comment that it might be the last year for the Presidents. Whether that is the last year per se, or whether it is the final ousting of those examples still working the Lands End route? Not clear from just a few characters but having just vinyled the three Sunseekers, then you'd think they might have an outing next year? Perhaps a last season for the older machines (32027, 32799, 32800, 33036, 32179) though I did have a trip on 32799 recently and was surprised how spritely it performed climbing out of Sennen.

Going back to an earlier tweet, FSW has more plans for next year so it will be interesting to see what they look like... I'm beginning to think that @On the Buses is a bit of tease ;) It's never boring in Cornwall

Cornwall and Devon has a lot more widely spread contract work with start points spread far and wide. Bodmin and summercourt were at bursting point. Majority of the drivers at St columb major and callington (being the two most recent openings) live closer to their new outstation and have reduced dead runs resulting in being away from home for less time each day for the same work.
Spare depot capacity in Somerset was one obvious factor.

However, back in Cawlett days, Southern National had vehicles outbased all over Somerset and Dorset. Somewhere like Chard would be a place where you might have an outbase.

E-Rail

I was referring to the Best Impressions house style generally, regardless of operator. I think the cluttered branding style is starting to date now. Look at Tootbus in Bath. Clean all over red (because that's what inbound tourists expect obviously) and minimalist branding but the important elements are retained without clutter.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I was referring to the Best Impressions house style generally, regardless of operator. I think the cluttered branding style is starting to date now. Look at Tootbus in Bath. Clean all over red (because that's what inbound tourists expect obviously) and minimalist branding but the important elements are retained without clutter.
I'd sooner have BI than the sterile clarity of Arriva or Stagecoach's liveries

Russel

richw

Veteran Member
It gives the impression the Cornish open top routes are here to stay if they're converting and branding buses that are still fairly modern.
Majority of the routes are popular, with many trips being tweeted as full throughout the season

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Majority of the routes are popular, with many trips being tweeted as full throughout the season
When I was down about six weeks ago, the Falmouth Coaster seemed to be doing ok - perhaps 6-10 a trip but appreciate it was a snapshot in time outside of high season. The Lands End was doing a fine trade but hard to tell on the Tin Coaster between tourists and locals.

FWIW, and I didn't get to see any of these... I'd expect Atlantic ones to do reasonably well. The Sunseeker ones again serve routes with some element of established custom so can imagine them doing ok. It was always thought the Lizard one that I thought was more of a punt - whilst there are some lovely spots, it's not quite the tourist hotspot that the others are.

richw

Veteran Member
I'd expect Atlantic ones to do reasonably well.
I caught the Atlantic coaster 10 days or so ago, and it was fully loaded upstairs in both directions I travelled, and a healthy number downstairs. On that particular day tweets had been sent that certain exmoor and lands end journeys were full.
Photo attached of upstairs load.

Attachments

• 47692C6A-1D92-497C-8D90-41ACA10AD705.jpeg
    47692C6A-1D92-497C-8D90-41ACA10AD705.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 20

The Tin Coaster seems to be no different load wise to the 18/A17 before it, when I've done it

richw

Veteran Member
32027 on sunseeker today. Looks like previous issues on the route may have been resolved.

Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member
32027 on sunseeker today. Looks like previous issues may have been resolved.
Good to hear that it's back. I hope to have a day on Lands End Coaster soon and before the Presidents bow out at the end of the season (as it seems might be the case). Be good to see 32027 as well.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I caught the Atlantic coaster 10 days or so ago, and it was fully loaded upstairs in both directions I travelled, and a healthy number downstairs. On that particular day tweets had been sent that certain exmoor and lands end journeys were full.
Photo attached of upstairs load.
I'm aiming to have a trip on the Exmoor one again - seems to have had a bumper year. Wonder how the patronage on the 56 vs ATLA compares?

You have to concede that FSW (and other First firms) really have grasped the opportunities for commercial expansion with the leisure market and open toppers. Good weather helps!

B7RLE

When I was down about six weeks ago, the Falmouth Coaster seemed to be doing ok - perhaps 6-10 a trip but appreciate it was a snapshot in time outside of high season. The Lands End was doing a fine trade but hard to tell on the Tin Coaster between tourists and locals.

FWIW, and I didn't get to see any of these... I'd expect Atlantic ones to do reasonably well. The Sunseeker ones again serve routes with some element of established custom so can imagine them doing ok. It was always thought the Lizard one that I thought was more of a punt - whilst there are some lovely spots, it's not quite the tourist hotspot that the others are.
The Lands End ones are so popular every year a good service to being Hourly the Atlantic Ones do get busy to Padstow another Popular place of course, the S2 especially carry's quite a few not so familiar with the S1 though many still ask why's there no though connection between the 2 routes , the Tin Coaster seems to be more locals as some one pointed out ,I get The Lizard one is aimed at holiday trade & as a regular traveller on it , it don't carry many , i guess with a a hourly bus service to the Lizard From Redruth takes a few away from it Half the time the Lizard Open Top is closed top to the amount of people that ask wheres the Open Top to the Drivers who must get fed up making excuses & the 34 runs 5 mins behind it normally passing it on the way down ,even more strange the 34 & L1 carry on & run mostly empty all winter , the Falmouth one seems to be doing well with some good loads at time's , Not familiar with the Exeter one only going on pic's' & feed back from them who have used it must be the least used when it was running if u thought the Lizard one was a punt what about Exeter.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The Lands End ones are so popular every year a good service to being Hourly the Atlantic Ones do get busy to Padstow another Popular place of course, the S2 especially carry's quite a few not so familiar with the S1 though many still ask why's there no though connection between the 2 routes , the Tin Coaster seems to be more locals as some one pointed out ,I get The Lizard one is aimed at holiday trade & as a regular traveller on it , it don't carry many , i guess with a a hourly bus service to the Lizard From Redruth takes a few away from it Half the time the Lizard Open Top is closed top to the amount of people that ask wheres the Open Top to the Drivers who must get fed up making excuses & the 34 runs 5 mins behind it normally passing it on the way down ,even more strange the 34 & L1 carry on & run mostly empty all winter , the Falmouth one seems to be doing well with some good loads at time's , Not familiar with the Exeter one only going on pic's' & feed back from them who have used it must be the least used when it was running if u thought the Lizard one was a punt what about Exeter.
The Tin Coaster will soon revert to serving Market Jew Street rather than the Promenade, which I think indicates that tourist trade is fairly minimal on it. How much it will deserve to be called a coastal service then is a moot point, but I'd expect the 18 route number to reappear in due course.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The Tin Coaster will soon revert to serving Market Jew Street rather than the Promenade, which I think indicates that tourist trade is fairly minimal on it. How much it will deserve to be called a coastal service then is a moot point, but I'd expect the 18 route number to reappear in due course.
The Tin Coaster is and always has been a local bus route primarily connecting St Just and Pendeen with Penzance. Unsurprisingly there have been many complaints since it was diverted away from the town centre seemingly just to go after tourists at the expense of local traffic, but commonsense has now prevailed. Unfortunately it still doesn't serve West Cornwall Hospital, but at least it goes somewhat closer.

E-Rail

I'd sooner have BI than the sterile clarity of Arriva or Stagecoach's liveries

I'll never defend either of those. I still keep thinking the Stagecoach livery is a wind up.

Good to hear that it's back. I hope to have a day on Lands End Coaster soon and before the Presidents bow out at the end of the season (as it seems might be the case). Be good to see 32027 as well.
Any chance the Presidents might end up in Dorset then next year or are they destined for the breakers after this summer?

83G/84D

Established Member
I'll never defend either of those. I still keep thinking the Stagecoach livery is a wind up.

Any chance the Presidents might end up in Dorset then next year or are they destined for the breakers after this summer?
Given their age, around 20 years old, I doubt they will go to Dorset.

RPI

Established Member
I was working down in Newquay last week at the station for boardmasters, every open top I saw going past the station was very well loaded indeed