• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
A shortage of drivers or buses today on the T1. The 1655 Penzance to Camborne didn’t turn up and it looks like the 1745 Penzance to Truro is going to be delayed as the bus is not in Penzance yet.

Lots of traffic in and around Penzance and lots of people waiting for the T1.
I saw a T1 at the Tesco roundabout at 16,30 bound for Camborne, rather than Truro, not very full. I also saw a Tinner-liveried bus depot bound around 16.00, my first thought being 'student service' til I remembered the date!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

83G/84D

Established Member
I saw a T1 at the Tesco roundabout at 16,30 bound for Camborne, rather than Truro, not very full. I also saw a Tinner-liveried bus depot bound around 16.00, my first thought being 'student service' til I remembered the date!

Most of the T1 services I saw today were 10-25 minutes late. I am not sure why however there was a diversion earlier in the week via the A30 bypassing Chacewater due to roadworks.
There were very few if any twitter posts about this or the reasons for the delays or cancellations today.

MB162435

Established Member
Most of the T1 services I saw today were 10-25 minutes late. I am not sure why however there was a diversion earlier in the week via the A30 bypassing Chacewater due to roadworks.
There were very few if any twitter posts about this or the reasons for the delays or cancellations today.
The chacewater diversion was still in place today, T1s were also badly delayed as usual at the West Cornwall shopping centre

Fin_22

Andy Metcalfe who I believe is involved in fleet management for First bus has confirmed on a Facebook enthusiast group the 4 ex go coach are to lose roofs. For southwest not necessarily Cornwall.
With the proposed management changes, they could be replacements for the Wessex ALXs (which are rumoured to be in their last year) & 32343

Last edited:

buscoaster

It would involve a lot of dead running, but Wessex could take on Buster's Beach Bus, previously run by Yellow Buses from either their Weymouth depot or from an outstation...another adventure to add to the list!

iantherev

Why?

1. We don't know what plans (if any) Go South Coast have for the Bournemouth network. They've said more services will be added later.
2. If Wessex have reduced services in Weymouth due to driver shortage, how are they going to resource a service in Bournemouth.
3. Dead mileage and high fuel prices?

It's a lovely thought but I can't see it happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know whether those two Geminis are staying long-term in Somerset but the vinyls could be amended to remove the LEC fleetnames
They will be staying at Minehead and are due to have Exmoor vinyls in due course and I think the two open back E200s will also receive Exmoor Sunseeker vinyls as well. The vinyl man I heard a while back was recovering from a hospital operation so I think they have a bit of catching up to do.

83G/84D

Established Member
Solo 53862 is on the Mousehole service again today whilst 53709 left Camborne this afternoon towards Penzance with an engineer behind the wheel.
One suspects it won’t be long before it is back there again.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Old timetables still on display at Penzance bus station and the National Trust centre.

Attachments

• 20220807_105223.jpg
    20220807_105223.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 30
  • 20220807_105059.jpg
    20220807_105059.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:

mic

Former open topper 38001, D701GHY, is now preserved and has had a roof fitted back on. There is aphoto of it on the back cover of Firstgroup Enthusiasts newsletter.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
It really is testament to the superb work done by First South West in terms of marketing, and the commitment of the drivers at Minehead. I was really impressed by the drivers when I enjoyed it last year (and on the 28). Whilst there had been a previous incarnation with Quantock and First previously, they really have shown how to exploit what was an untapped market.

richw

Veteran Member
I'm not surprised. The Exmoor Coaster was running full midweek in June.
Tweets suggest full today.

I caught the 1600 padstow to Newquay today which was also full. Photo attached showing upstairs load.

Attachments

• D5C1C381-8839-4A55-BB96-0C081D949C8E.jpeg
    D5C1C381-8839-4A55-BB96-0C081D949C8E.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 51

Goldfish62

Established Member
Tweets suggest full today.

I caught the 1600 padstow to Newquay today which was also full. Photo attached showing upstairs load.
Likewise the Land's End Coasters I travelled on today were full. Very full.

All great stuff to see.

fgwrich

Established Member
Probably non-standard (DAFs) or too old ((Volvos).

The B9s or MMCs could possibly be of interest I wonder (if FSW is allowed to continue to buy from outside the group), but I rather agree about the others. The Open Tops appear to be ex Abellio London B7TLs and may be too old now.

Former open topper 38001, D701GHY, is now preserved and has had a roof fitted back on. There is aphoto of it on the back cover of Firstgroup Enthusiasts newsletter.

The new owner has certainly done a fine job with it - enough to hardly know it was previously an open topper.

Likewise the Land's End Coasters I travelled on today were full. Very full.

All great stuff to see.

Falmouth Coaster was also reported to be full today too.

richw

Veteran Member
Interesting to see many Yellow Buses vehicles now up for auction. I wonder if First South West might be interested in their seven open tops that are up for sale? https://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/gordonbrothers/catalogue-id-gordon10082
From my last visit to Bournemouth, only middle of last week, most of the Yellow bus fleet sounded in very poor mechanical condition.
According to drivers last week. They’ve been dropping serves due to no working bus but then tweet blaming driver sickness etc. the drivers said they’d been sat round for hours regularly in these circumstances.
They’d have to be very very cheap to be a worthwhile buy for anyone

Goldfish62

Established Member
Mousehole Solo 53709 sounded dreadful when I travelled on it yesterday and sure enough this morning it expired near the top of Lidden Hill.

Update: Gemini 37153 has now substituted. It looks like it's just that and Solo 53505 in service currently, with Mousehole harbour only getting one bus per hour.

Those new buses can't arrive quickly enough!

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
The B9s or MMCs could possibly be of interest I wonder (if FSW is allowed to continue to buy from outside the group), but I rather agree about the others. The Open Tops appear to be ex Abellio London B7TLs and may be too old now.
First are purchasing secondhand from outside the group - the various ex London e400s and B9s that have arrived to refresh the open-top fleet in First South West are testimony to that (as well as e200s for Essex and Cymru) though this builds on a good relationship with Ensign.

As @richw mentions below, they might not be in the best of condition and, as you say, they may be too old. Whilst last year was typified by the purchases of elderly open toppers to try and get new ventures up and running (with lessened capex and commercial risk), there's been a move to improve the fleet this year so some 17 year old machines might not be what is envisaged.
From my last visit to Bournemouth, only middle of last week, most of the Yellow bus fleet sounded in very poor mechanical condition. According to drivers last week. They’ve been dropping serves due to no working bus but then tweet blaming driver sickness etc. the drivers said they’d been sat round for hours regularly in these circumstances.They’d have to be very very cheap to be a worthwhile buy for anyone

Once upon a time, open toppers were superannuated vehicles that would usually just poodle along a seafront (excepting the Skyrider that is now the Lands End Coaster). These days, the services are a lot more demanding except for the Exeter tour and perhaps the Falmouth Coaster.

As for former Badgerline 5701/First South West 38001, that's a great restoration. Remember travelling on those in their prime - superb machines.

Mousehole Solo 53709 sounded dreadful when I travelled on it yesterday and sure enough this morning it expired near the top of Lidden Hill.
That one has always been a bit of a pup. 53826 seems to have been the best one but all seem rather tired.

Despite 32102-104 being painted and vinyled up for the Sunseeker services in Cornwall, I’m beginning to wonder if they will actually ever go on there and if the tree cutting team will sort out the issues currently preventing them from operating the appropriate routes…

Goldfish62

Established Member
Despite 32102-104 being painted and vinyled up for the Sunseeker services in Cornwall, I’m beginning to wonder if they will actually ever go on there and if the tree cutting team will sort out the issues currently preventing them from operating the appropriate routes…
The services finish in under four weeks time so probably not, at least for this year.

The services finish in under four weeks time so probably not, at least for this year.
In a way I do see where you're coming from. At least by the start of next season more things will be in place by then. I'm excited about what will come for Minehead as well!

Busaholic

Veteran Member

Update: Gemini 37153 has now substituted. It looks like it's just that and Solo 53505 in service currently, with Mousehole harbour only getting one bus per hour.

Those new buses can't arrive quickly enough!
Interesting, in view of what I've just seen. I spent twenty minutes sitting on a bench at the top of Market Jew Street reading a report I'd just received, but looked up whenever a bus approached. At 12.37 a Lizard-liveried d/d came up the street on The Mousehole, with no-one atop and four or five inside. It was followed by a GCB 3 to Roscadghill Parc that had 75-80% seat occupation. At 12.44 a further Gemini on The Mousehole came up the street, and this time it only had three on board. The only other bus I saw during this time was a Penzance-bound 8.

I feel it's time to discuss the position occupied by the partly open bus, or buses, which are apparently part of the fleet and not only can reach Mousehole Harbour, but I was led to believe was liveried for the route. Is it available for service or not? If not, why not? That is to say, if there is a problem, is it with the mechanics or the attitude of either the local drivers or with 'officialdom' in its various guises? Or have management, for whatever reason, decided not to utilise it/them down here? The local press are getting interested and BBC SW Spotlight like nothing better than to 'pop down' for a story at this time of year. A prominent local councillor who was previously Chief Executive of Penwith District Council is now one of the volunteer 'staff' at the West Cornwall Information Centre too, so may be hearing first-hand about the problems.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Interesting, in view of what I've just seen. I spent twenty minutes sitting on a bench at the top of Market Jew Street reading a report I'd just received, but looked up whenever a bus approached. At 12.37 a Lizard-liveried d/d came up the street on The Mousehole, with no-one atop and four or five inside. It was followed by a GCB 3 to Roscadghill Parc that had 75-80% seat occupation. At 12.44 a further Gemini on The Mousehole came up the street, and this time it only had three on board. The only other bus I saw during this time was a Penzance-bound 8.
The Lizard one, which I caught from Newlyn Bridge towards PZ had about 35 on board, made up of those waiting for the previous bus that didn't show, minus those who would have been waiting in vain at Mousehole harbour.

I feel it's time to discuss the position occupied by the partly open bus, or buses, which are apparently part of the fleet and not only can reach Mousehole Harbour, but I was led to believe was liveried for the route. Is it available for service or not?
That's now at Minehead as a spare for the Exmoor Sunseeker, with Mousehole branding removed.

A prominent local councillor who was previously Chief Executive of Penwith District Council is now one of the volunteer 'staff' at the West Cornwall Information Centre too, so may be hearing first-hand about the problems.
The Information Centre was closed this morning, presumably due to staffing issues.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The Lizard one, which I caught from Newlyn Bridge towards PZ had about 35 on board, made up of those waiting for the previous bus that didn't show, minus those who would have been waiting in vain at Mousehole harbour.
That doesn't surprise me, at that time of day there's much more traffic in that direction. You'll have a GCB 5A to help every two hours before too long, which I suspect may become hourly in fairly short order.

Andyh82

Established Member
What are the chances that they’ll be another service recast next year though and they’ll never be used on the current services. Like what happened with the original Newquay single deck Sunseekers, and the DayTipper livery buses.

On the comment a few points above about the Mousehole service, you wonder why a Lizard double deck is even running out of Penzance