• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Marcus Fryer

From Friday 9 June and all this week Truronian have been supplying coaches for the Bristol Parkway-Newport rail replacement services (Severn Tunnel engineering works). Noted are 23752 (W20 TRU) (the Taunton Town FC team coach) and 20808 (260 ERY).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
Taunton station bridge (cleared by said Quantock Scania) is also signed 13' 9'' (believe First has hit that bridge a few times!)
E400 are 13’10 and Geminis are 14’5.
The presidents that used to hit it were 14’6 or 14’10 depending which ones hit it

Peter Philips

Also, one journey to/from Blue Anchor removed.

Apart from a new timetable being uploaded on the First website under the timetables section there's been absolutely no publicity to alert anyone of the change, and the Adventures by Bus website still displays the old timetable.
I also noticed on my trip (and again today) that one working is a green closed top SD streetlite that works Porlock school route 10, which First's website shows only completes its morning service at 0838 before doing the 0830 Exmoor Coaster to Lynmouth with a late start, the 0930 back from Lynmouth & then a zero minute turnaround the 1030 to Lynmouth again. So is there a shortage of open tops at Minehead or is this a permanent school day arrangement not mentioned in the timetable?

Ryan H

I also noticed on my trip (and again today) that one working is a green closed top SD streetlite that works Porlock school route 10, which First's website shows only completes its morning service at 0838 before doing the 0830 Exmoor Coaster to Lynmouth with a late start, the 0930 back from Lynmouth & then a zero minute turnaround the 1030 to Lynmouth again. So is there a shortage of open tops at Minehead or is this a permanent school day arrangement not mentioned in the timetable?
Pretty sure that it's replacing an open top again, they do have problems!

DaveLondon

Is there anywhere I can find this year's Dartmoor Explorer timetable please?
All the sources I have seen say it will be published nearer the start date. Suggest you google it nearer the date and you will hit the jackpot.

Andyh82

Established Member
I wonder how that service is going to work operationally

Being 3 journeys, the bus that starts at Exeter will end at Plymouth, and the Plymouth bus will end at Exeter. That would apply to the drivers as well unless they change over.

richw

Veteran Member
I wonder how that service is going to work operationally

Being 3 journeys, the bus that starts at Exeter will end at Plymouth, and the Plymouth bus will end at Exeter. That would apply to the drivers as well unless they change over.
Or a 3 bus service. Two from Plymouth and one from Exeter. 5 minute turn around times aren’t realistic on that route otherwise

RELL6L

Or a 3 bus service. Two from Plymouth and one from Exeter. 5 minute turn around times aren’t realistic on that route otherwise
Or drivers swap at Moretonhampstead? Buses might swap over each day but not drivers. Hope a 5 minute turnaround at Plymouth isn’t the plan!

Ian10

Perhaps it was planned by the same person who has given the Exmoor Coaster a 5min turnaround in Ilfracombe. That is leading to serious delays eg up to 45mins late yesterday.

Ryan H

Perhaps it was planned by the same person who has given the Exmoor Coaster a 5min turnaround in Ilfracombe. That is leading to serious delays eg up to 45mins late yesterday.
ridiculous 5 mins turnaround on a route where the bus needs a long break

Marcus Fryer

All journeys also have a 5 minute stand at Lynmouth westbound and a 22 minute stand at Lynmouth eastbound, and the turnround at Minehead is 20 minutes. Is there a reason why longer turnrounds at Ilfracombe harbour are impracticable?

Peter Philips

All journeys also have a 5 minute stand at Lynmouth westbound and a 22 minute stand at Lynmouth eastbound, and the turnround at Minehead is 20 minutes. Is there a reason why longer turnrounds at Ilfracombe harbour are impracticable?
Not really as terminus is alongside the former First bus station with plenty of room for other vehicles to pass (Stagecoach takes it layover at the previous stop nearer the TiC). My recent journey arrived & departed Ilfracombe around 20min late (and passed the previous departure around 30min late). Loadings were very encouraging though but many were complaining about the state of trees on the route with several passengers being hit (which is why Devon County Council banned the Quantock double-deck open-top Ilfracombe-Lynmouth-Minehead route 300 Scania some 18 years back with separate services then operating either side of Lynmouth).

richw

Veteran Member
Or drivers swap at Moretonhampstead? Buses might swap over each day but not drivers. Hope a 5 minute turnaround at Plymouth isn’t the plan!
Unless the system has been updated that won’t work. Cornwall drivers can’t sign on Somerset ticket machines and vice versa. Hence when a BoS vehicle used to cover Dartmoor when Exeter was under Cornwall it used to have a ticket machine swap and track as a Cornish vehicle.

Exeter drivers now report to Taunton so Exeter buses have Somerset machines and plymouth buses have Cornish machines

RELL6L

Unless the system has been updated that won’t work. Cornwall drivers can’t sign on Somerset ticket machines and vice versa. Hence when a BoS vehicle used to cover Dartmoor when Exeter was under Cornwall it used to have a ticket machine swap and track as a Cornish vehicle.

Exeter drivers now report to Taunton so Exeter buses have Somerset machines and plymouth buses have Cornish machines
Well if that's the case it has to be a three bus service.
One end sends out a bus on the first trip which returns on the third return.
The other end sends out two buses on the first and second trips which then return from the other end on the second and third trips.
In my view very unlikely to be Exeter sending out two buses with a 5 minute turnround at Plymouth while the Plymouth driver has over 4 hours in Exeter.
Much more likely to be one Exeter bus with three hours in Plymouth and two Plymouth buses with an hour and a quarter in Exeter.
No 5 minute turnrounds this way.

Can't say I've looked at the Exmoor route for reliability but if it only has 5 minutes in Ilfracombe I can see delays as likely on busy days.

Andyh82

Established Member
Presumably just departing Lynmouth for Ilfracombe 5 mins earlier would help, especially now there is extended layover here due to not calling at Lynton

I travelled the whole route today (in 2 parts) and it all ran pretty much on time. One part Scania, one part Volvo

All 6 boards were open top as well

Peter Philips

Presumably just departing Lynmouth for Ilfracombe 5 mins earlier would help, especially now there is extended layover here due to not calling at Lynton

I travelled the whole route today (in 2 parts) and it all ran pretty much on time. One part Scania, one part Volvo

All 6 boards were open top as well
Yet today - a school day - closed-top Streetlite 55108 appears back on the 0830 Exmoor Coaster from Minehead with a 13 minute late start after doing Porlock Weir school route 10. It returned from Lynmouth on the 0930 before heading straight back out on the 1030 which seems to then have a longer break in Lynmouth (presumably as other services return from Ilfracombe) before the 1340 to Minehead & the afternoon school route 10 if it does the same as last week again.

Andyh82

Established Member
Yet today - a school day - closed-top Streetlite 55108 appears back on the 0830 Exmoor Coaster from Minehead with a 13 minute late start after doing Porlock Weir school route 10. It returned from Lynmouth on the 0930 before heading straight back out on the 1030 which seems to then have a longer break in Lynmouth (presumably as other services return from Ilfracombe) before the 1340 to Minehead & the afternoon school route 10 if it does the same as last week again.
Does that suggest it’s a driver shortage not a bus shortage?

Peter Philips

I don't know but it would appear so with no time to swap the school route 10 Streetlite for an open-top prior to the late starting 0830 Exmoor Coaster and then a zero minute turnround at 1030 so no opportunity again (presumably Minehead doesn't have a leading driver or spare driver available to do the swap either?).

Last edited:

RELL6L

I would think it is a bus shortage.
Of the open toppers allocated to Minehead:
2 out of 5 E400s out
1 out of 2 Scanias
1 out of 2 Volvos
plus the Streetlite.

The PVR would be 6 if the incoming 10.30 left again at 10.30, as seems to be the case at the moment, 7 if it didn't.
Also one bus only does one round trip - leaving Minehead at 10.00. This appears not to have run at all today.

richw

Veteran Member
I don't know but it would appear so with no time to swap the school route 10 Streetlite for an open-top prior to the late starting 0830 Exmoor Coaster and then a zero minute turnround at 1030 so no opportunity again (presumably Minehead doesn't have a leading driver or spare driver available to do the swap either?).

I would think it is a bus shortage.
Of the open toppers allocated to Minehead:
2 out of 5 E400s out
1 out of 2 Scanias
1 out of 2 Volvos
plus the Streetlite.

The PVR would be 6 if the incoming 10.30 left again at 10.30, as seems to be the case at the moment, 7 if it didn't.
Also one bus only does one round trip - leaving Minehead at 10.00. This appears not to have run at all today.
I would say driver shortage. Looking at the timings, there is no way the school driver is booked to do those Exmoors. I would say they’re mixing and matching duties to reduce lost miles. This was a common occurrence in my time with the company.

Andyh82

Established Member
I should also add, I travelled on one of the Volvos on Saturday and it wasn’t tracking so not tracking doesn’t mean it won’t run

I believe the zero minutes change at 10:30 is scheduled. The PVR is 6

buscoaster

Having looked closely at the Mousehole route this week, I do wonder if the new fleet will have sufficient capacity as at present some journeys are carrying full loads. Also do think it's a great pity the open sided vehicles never came to fruition as think they'd have worked very well - does anybody know why they never ran?

Goldfish62

Established Member
Having looked closely at the Mousehole route this week, I do wonder if the new fleet will have sufficient capacity as at present some journeys are carrying full loads. Also do think it's a great pity the open sided vehicles never came to fruition as think they'd have worked very well - does anybody know why they never ran?
I've been thinking the same re capacity, although in at least one instance I saw last week the full bus was following a double decker which would have missed out Mousehole Harbour; this being one of the busiest stops on the route.

I'm told the open sided bus never operated in service because it failed a route risk assessment due to how close buses are to the walls when they turn the corners in Mousehole. Anyone with an arm sticking out could have it taken off. Pity this wasn't identified before money was wasted on the conversion.

It also has to be remembered that if the conversions had gone ahead these are the buses that are on their last legs and break down on a daily basis.

Size aside, the new buses should enable a full actual 4bph to run rather than the too often current theoretical 4bph.

buscoaster

Yes interesting observation re how many actually serve the harbour. I don't know what the actual difference is between capacity on the Solos and the new vehicles.

I wouldn't have thought the risk assessment should be any worse than many open top routes...such a shame!