• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Lizard1324

Marc has confirmed on Twitter that the Dartmoor Explorer start date will be delayed until Covid restrictions allow.

Also confirmed Summer service registrations from Easter for Cornwall and Somerset have been submitted.
Is there any way you can check online to see the submitted routes?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Yes I noticed he snook Devon in quietly in between Somerset and Cornwall... where it naturally fits of course!
It'll be interesting to see them when they do appear.

In my adoptive county, I'll have to see what appears. Might just be an uplift on the Quantock Line (28) but perhaps there's something more.... Will just have to wait and see :D

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
When referring to key figures in the industry, you must refer to them using their full name, otherwise someone who is casually reading the thread will have absolutely no idea who you're talking about. If you use the full name it at does at least give someone the option to use a search engine to look up their name.

I will start deleting posts that just refer to "Marc" or "Bob" etc. without hesitation, and this will also result in any post which quotes yours being deleted. Please think before you post!

matt_splat

Could something from Somerset to Devon be on the cards maybe, a while ago a list of suggested routes was shared i can't remember where i saw this though but one item that was suggested was the 82 but also talk of the old 300 service maybe more work for minehead?

who knows but for sure it looks like a very interesting summer could be on its way

cnjb8

Established Member
Could something from Somerset to Devon be on the cards maybe, a while ago a list of suggested routes was shared i can't remember where i saw this though but one item that was suggested was the 82 but also talk of the old 300 service maybe more work for minehead?

who knows but for sure it looks like a very interesting summer could be on its way
Can't Minehead only hold ten vehicles, most of which are the Quantock E300s?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Can't Minehead only hold ten vehicles, most of which are the Quantock E300s?
It has 12 on it's O license and also has 6 Somerset Passenger Solutions for the same yard. It's a lot larger than 10 vehicles but probably 18 stretching things.

I think it generally has 9/10 vehicles.

We'll have to see what is registered before we get too excited but I'd love the 300 to return. Driven that route but never experienced the 300.

cnjb8

Established Member
It has 12 on it's O license and also has 6 Somerset Passenger Solutions for the same yard. It's a lot larger than 10 vehicles but probably 18 stretching things.

I think it generally has 9/10 vehicles.

We'll have to see what is registered before we get too excited but I'd love the 300 to return. Driven that route but never experienced the 300.
Ok, definitely an interesting time for First South West!

Lizard1324

Does anyone know what part of First the new Dartmoor explorer Geminis will come under?
What I mean is the Kernow liveried ones say "Cornwall by Kernow" or "First Kernow on the sides.
But will the Devon Dartmoor ones just say "First Kernow" or will they add a new name to the first south west group? (First Kernow + Buses of Somerset + Devon...)

carlberry

Established Member
Does anyone know what part of First the new dartmoor explorer Geminis will come under.
What I mean is the kernow liveried ones say "cornwall by kernow" or "First Kernow on the sides.
But will the devon darmoor ones just say "First Kernow" or will they add a new name to the first south west group. (First kernow + buses of somerset + Devon...)
Somebody does know however, I suspect, we'll only find out when the livery gets offically launched. My guess would be Dartmoor Explorer with a small 'From First' somewhere.

Lizard1324

Somebody does know however, I suspect, we'll only find out when the livery gets offically launched. My guess would be Dartmoor Explorer with a small 'From First' somewhere.
I could see the devon operations becoming a new brand but probably not till first have more of a foot hold in the area again,
If they had alot of buses going around with first kernow it might be confusing but with a small amount of buses it's not a big issue, also the cornwall by kernow stickers are very large so wouldn't really be noticed.

TechDan2002

Does anyone know what part of First the new Dartmoor explorer Geminis will come under?
What I mean is the Kernow liveried ones say "Cornwall by Kernow" or "First Kernow on the sides.
But will the Devon Dartmoor ones just say "First Kernow" or will they add a new name to the first south west group? (First Kernow + Buses of Somerset + Devon...)
Was thinking the same myself earlier, at present First South West have 6 trading names (named on their operator license): Buses of Somerset, Cornwall by Kernow, First Kernow, Somerset & Dorset, Truronian and Vamooz. I wonder if they will develop a new trading name for their Devon operations to trade under?

Last edited:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
How about “jam first buses” I’m sure the Devon locals would love it. And it would help to make sure they stop getting their jam and cream back to front :lol:
I'm almost tempted to delete this post on the grounds that it may spark a cross-border war :)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
How about “jam first buses” I’m sure the Devon locals would love it. And it would help to make sure they stop getting their jam and cream back to front :lol:

I'm almost tempted to delete this post on the grounds that it may spark a cross-border war :)

We don't want a hard border on the Tamar, or a back stop somewhere West of Okehampton!!!

Cream of the jokes this year but don’t jam up this thread with any more jokes!
Scone but not forgotten :rolleyes: Anyhow, I think I hear my taxi ;)

Back to the seriousness, I'm not expecting some Devon specific identity for their operations just yet; they seem to be ok with having Kernow on the various Devonian college work (credit to photographer) https://www.flickr.com/photos/capuc...XXmne-2ikSbBp-2iLYMiM-2jrH8nw-2jQuk1r-2jrJhYz

I think the likelihood is more as @carlberry mentioned with the DARTMOOR EXPLORER taking precedence and a much more subtle nod to the operator with either a Brought to you by First or Cornwall by Kernow Not even certain First got mentioned on the latest repaints?

Of course, First South West never actually left Devon.....

On the Buses

Was thinking the same myself earlier, at present First South West have 6 trading names (named on their operator license): Buses of Somerset, Cornwall by Kernow, First Kernow, Somerset & Dorset, Truronian and Vamooz. I wonder if they will develop a new trading name for their Devon operations to trade under?
Buses of Somerset
Cornwall by Kernow
Truronian

First Kernow tends to be used in Cornwall to describe the transitional situation I terms of brand with lots of First liveried vehicles still around.

We don't want a hard border on the Tamar, or a back stop somewhere West of Okehampton!!!

Scone but not forgotten :rolleyes: Anyhow, I think I hear my taxi ;)

Back to the seriousness, I'm not expecting some Devon specific identity for their operations just yet; they seem to be ok with having Kernow on the various Devonian college work (credit to photographer) https://www.flickr.com/photos/capuc...XXmne-2ikSbBp-2iLYMiM-2jrH8nw-2jQuk1r-2jrJhYz

I think the likelihood is more as @carlberry mentioned with the DARTMOOR EXPLORER taking precedence and a much more subtle nod to the operator with either a Brought to you by First or Cornwall by Kernow Not even certain First got mentioned on the latest repaints?

Of course, First South West never actually left Devon.....
Well here’s a rail forums exclusive... Dartmoor Explorer and the other leisure products across FSW will be part of ‘Adventures by Bus’

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Well here’s a rail forums exclusive... Dartmoor Explorer and the other leisure products across FSW will be part of ‘Adventures by Bus’
Thanks for the "Breaking News". The ABB strapline appearing on the new Land's End Coaster livery IIRC

It'll be good to see the other leisure products under that banner to be unveiled in due course.

Lizard1324

It was said before that more Geminis were due to come to cornwall and wondered if anyone know which they may be?

This is just a thought but with the delivery of the new hydrogen Street deckers to first aberdeen the old b9tl whixh were mainly used on route 19 might become free to a new home? But they might also be kept in aberdeen.

83G/84D

Established Member
It was said before that more Geminis were due to come to cornwall and wondered if anyone know which they may be?

This is just a thought but with the delivery of the new hydrogen Street deckers to first aberdeen the old b9tl whixh were mainly used on route 19 might become free to a new home? But they might also be kept in aberdeen.

I believe that some of the surplus deckers from Aberdeen are heading to Bristol or Bath.

swifty

Established Member
I believe that some of the surplus deckers from Aberdeen are heading to Bristol or Bath.
Which will free up the older B7TLs still in use in Bath. I’ve always felt that ex London batch of Geminis have been pretty decent workhorses.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Which will free up the older B7TLs still in use in Bath. I’ve always felt that ex London batch of Geminis have been pretty decent workhorses.
I was told two months ago that Aberdeen’s 37638-44 were due to come to Bath to replace the final B7TLs that wouldn’t comply with Bath’s LEZ. The B7TLs ex London are 32329/30/38/43 plus there are three ex Glasgows 32543/44/45. As far as I know Bath still has one final ALX 32291.
Of course plans can still change.