• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Yesterday I took a youth football team to Wembley. Attached is a photo of 25001 at Wembley coach park. Of all the hundreds of coaches at the match I got parked next to Roselyns new VDL RO21LYN. I can’t imagine the odds for that.
Attempt to keep all the Cornish potential troublemakers together? ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

83G/84D

Established Member
Several of the Volvo B9TL open tops have been seen today.

(37789) LK59 CXF and (37798) LK59 FCO are at Camborne and (37795) LK59 CXN is at Penzance.

Fleet numbers are believed to be correct but are not visible so are shown in brackets.

There is nothing about the DayTrippers returning for 2022 so far...

I would like to think they would return. Also the Adventures by Bus website is yet to be updated with details regarding the new timetables and also regarding the new adventures for this year. I'd have thought they'd be up by now.

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
There is nothing about the DayTrippers returning for 2022 so far...

I would like to think they would return. Also the Adventures by Bus website is yet to updated with details regarding the new timetables and details regarding the new adventures for this year. I'd have thought they'd be up by now.
It'll be interesting to see what the fares offer is as well. There's already a disparity with the Cornwall Adventures by Bus fares being more expensive than the all-operator day ticket, which itself is reduced from £5 from 10th April. Perhaps instead ABB tickets will give discounted entry to eg Geevor tin mine or the Telegraph Museum at Porthcurno (both highly recommended incidentally).

I am sure all will be revealed shortly.

Last edited by a moderator:
It'll be interesting to see what the fares offer is as well. There's already a disparity with the Cornwall ABB fares being more expensive than the all-operator day ticket, which itself is reduced from £5 from 10th April. Perhaps instead ABB tickets will give discounted entry to eg Geevor tin mine or the Telegraph Museum at Porthcurno (both highly recommended incidentally).

They do tend to reveal stuff at the last minute yes!

On the Buses

It'll be interesting to see what the fares offer is as well. There's already a disparity with the Cornwall ABB fares being more expensive than the all-operator day ticket, which itself is reduced from £5 from 10th April. Perhaps instead ABB tickets will give discounted entry to eg Geevor tin mine or the Telegraph Museum at Porthcurno (both highly recommended incidentally).

Some clarity…

There is no ‘all operators day ticket’ in Cornwall.
Operators have their own day tickets which are inter operable across each other’ routes. It may sound pedantic but it’s a significant and legally distinct difference.

AbB day tickets are only available on web and app so are distinctly sold. They don’t have to be the same as on bus. It’s common practice in retailing products and services to sell in different ways. Indeed the offer is different. Through the Adventures by Bus website or app, in any group the first person pays £15 and all additional people pay half that. I see you’ve missed that in your comparison on another thread.

The Cornwall day ticket price only dropped to £9 in January in deep winter. The Somerset price hasn’t changed. That’s only 13 weeks before the Low Fares Pilot in Cornwall alters that pricing again. In the interim 13 weeks very little is operating.

It is necessary to adjust the AbB prices to reflect the context of the Low Fares Pilot in Cornwall. The logical time to do that is with a single change from April 10th too (or later where any Adventure isn’t operating at that date).

To reflect that context requires us to move back to the standard day ticket adult / child in Cornwall from the first person / subsequent people model, for reasons that I’m not going to detail here.

That in turn means that we have decided for consistency across the AbB portfolio (including consistency outside of First South West as Adventures are added further afield) that the online and app pricing structure for all Adventures will revert to an adult / child day price.

What it doesn’t mean is that we have to have the same offer in terms of price or format for web and app sales through AbB that we have on bus.

Whiteway215

Established Member
I see on the First fleet changes list for March the Bedford and AEC Reliance 29901/2 King Harry Coaches have ‘left the fleet’

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Some clarity…

What it doesn’t mean is that we have to have the same offer in terms of price or format for web and app sales through AbB that we have on bus.
No, you don't, but you sound very defensive about it. It certainly doesn't aid the general public who've no great interest in who runs their buses or why there are so many variations. I'm not suggesting TfC become more like TfL as they show few signs of being capable of doing so, even if further shedloads of money were shoved in their direction. Our flailing, incompetent government is always claiming 'clarity' despite all evidence to the contrary. First Kernow is too good and well-run to invite unnecessary criticism, and I can't see staff at visitor information offices getting their heads round the right information, by which time it will have changed again. I feel TfC need to issue a dated sheet available to view at those offices setting out exactly what is on offer in the county for period non-route-specific travel on all normal bus routes.

On the Buses

@On the Buses do you know if the low fares pilot will be effecting the bundles/direct debit customers?
Everything is reduced but some things by more than others

No, you don't, but you sound very defensive about it. It certainly doesn't aid the general public who've no great interest in who runs their buses or why there are so many variations. I'm not suggesting TfC become more like TfL as they show few signs of being capable of doing so, even if further shedloads of money were shoved in their direction. Our flailing, incompetent government is always claiming 'clarity' despite all evidence to the contrary. First Kernow is too good and well-run to invite unnecessary criticism, and I can't see staff at visitor information offices getting their heads round the right information, by which time it will have changed again. I feel TfC need to issue a dated sheet available to view at those offices setting out exactly what is on offer in the county for period non-route-specific travel on all normal bus routes.
Defensive. All I did was factually answer points made on two threads. I thought I’d done so in some considerable detail to explain. In return I get told I’m being defensive? I’ll think twice before bothering in future.
We’re very confident and logical in what we do. Our sell through AbB on web is clearly to a distinct leisure market.
What we need most of all is to encourage as many customers and earn as much revenue as possible - that’s the critical part of making buses sustainable going forward.
We know that through the AbB portals we pre sell to people who wouldn’t otherwise use an Adventure. That’s important generation. It’s entirely logical for us to use different marketing techniques and offers that are tailored specifically to the visitor market.
The notion that everything should be the same vanilla brand, product, offer and that that maximises patronage and revenue is flawed.
So I can assure you that I’m not defensive in any way. I’m clear in the strategy we’re pursuing behind the decisions we make to drive patronage.

For clarity it’s First South West, operating as Cornwall by Kernow and Adventures by Bus.

Last edited:

-Colly405-

Defensive. All I did was factually answer points made on two threads. I thought I’d done so in some considerable detail to explain. In return I get told I’m being defensive? I’ll think twice before bothering in future.
Please don't; your posts are really enlightening to see how you are adapting a "traditional" bus market to 2022 customers. And very helpful, and just interesting!

Kieanh4

Everything is reduced but some things by more than others

We’re very confident and logical in what we do. Our sell through AbB on web is clearly to a distinct leisure market.
What we need most of all is to encourage as many customers and earn as much revenue as possible - that’s the critical part of making buses sustainable going forward.
We know that through the AbB portals we pre sell to people who wouldn’t otherwise use an Adventure. That’s important generation. It’s entirely logical for us to use different marketing techniques and offers that are tailored specifically to the visitor market.
The notion that everything should be the same vanilla brand, product, offer and that that maximises patronage and revenue is flawed.
So I can assure you that I’m not defensive in any way. I’m clear in the strategy we’re pursuing behind the decisions we make to drive patronage.

For clarity it’s First South West, operating as Cornwall by Kernow and Adventures by Bus.
@On the Buses Do you know if First are going to announce the new prices before the 10th? It seems like the bus companies are not really advertising the new prices drops at all despite being quite a big thing. Maybe I’m missing a reason for this?

richw

Veteran Member
@On the Buses Do you know if First are going to announce the new prices before the 10th? It seems like the bus companies are not really advertising the new prices drops at all despite being quite a big thing. Maybe I’m missing a reason for this?
It’s on all the social media pages. Facebook, Twitter,

richw

Veteran Member
You have all the timetable changes on twitter, but aside from on the transport for Cornwall website, there isn’t one mention of the new prices
Third post on the kernow feed on Facebook.

Everywhere you look prices are going up, but from the 10th April bus fares are coming down.
The Cornwall wide £9 day ticket is reduced to just £5, and singles will start from just £1.60 and returns from £2.40.
And remember it’s any bus, any route too.
There’s never been a better time to catch the bus in Cornwall.

Attachments

• D6BA6D77-B0A4-4C30-A57E-29D18757B727.png
    D6BA6D77-B0A4-4C30-A57E-29D18757B727.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 41

On the Buses

There is a huge marketing programme through the TfC partnership that will run through the 5 year pilot. The prices have been trailed on social media feeds. TfC’s launch is on Monday. We have everything in place to communicate the prices from then onwards.

greengrey

Here's 33036 resting at Penzance this afternoon. Doesn't appear to have been in service, but good to see it out.
20220407_145340.1.jpgApologies for the poor quality image; didn't have a camera with me.

83G/84D

Established Member
It and the other Lizard open top have both been in Camborne receiving attention recently.