• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

randyrippley

Established Member
Well........it looks like First have done the unthinkable and requested planning permission to demolish the Nautilus Works in Yeovil in preparation for the site to be sold for housing development.
Their justification is that they now only need a PVR of nine buses to run the service.

Yeovil's historic bus depot is set to be demolished. The prominent red brick building located on the A30 Reckleford is more than 100 years old and has been a base for First Bus South.

However, with changes to the way buses are run locally, the building is now no longer needed. Operations are set to be moved to a new outstation which will provide staff with a new base for its Yeovil operations, a statement from First Bus reveals.

The statement confirms that "the plans do not impact customers or services and Yeovil bus station will remain at its current site, where services will continue to serve the bus station". First Bus hopes that demolishing the depot building will help its bid to sell the site.

The bus depot site has been on the market since at least October 2015. The large plot includes an office building, two workshops, and a bus garage.

Simon Goff, managing director at First Bus South, said: "Following the transfer of some Yeovil routes to First Bus' neighbouring West and Wales business, Buses of Somerset's Yeovil operations have reduced significantly from 43 buses to nine, making the current depot too large and not fit for purpose. For many years now, the current depot in Yeovil has been larger than required, and to ensure the long-term sustainability of our business, we have decided to sell the depot and move operations to a smaller site.

"Previous attempts to sell the building in its current state have failed, so to help facilitate a sale, a decision has been taken to demolish the site. We understand the building is of historical interest to some local people, but unfortunately, we can no longer afford to maintain the site.

"Demolition is planned in the coming months and will take place in a safe, controlled way. There will not be any impact to our customers or services, which will continue to operate as normal."

The Yeovil bus depot building was built in the late 1890s and was originally part of the Nautilus Works factory. For much of its life it was used to produce oil engines, but it was also home to war materials manufacturing during both World War I and World War II.

There is some resistance to the plan

A number of local people are urgently attempting to get the historic Yeovil Bus Depot building officially listed in a bid to stop it being demolished.

The prominent red brick building on the A30 Reckleford is more than 100 years old and has recently been a base for First Bus - but the site, built in the late 1890s, has a long and storied history and was originally part of the Nautilus Works factory. For much of its life it was used to produce engines, but it was also home to war materials manufacturing during both World War I and World War II.

However, many locals have been saddened by the news of the demolition. Some believe the "lovely looking old building" should be saved, and are hoping it might have a chance of being listed due its historic nature, which could halt plans to demolish it.

Yeovil Town councillor Tareth Casey has revealed he is urgently looking into what can be done. He says he has "received a significant number of queries" in relation to the demolition plans.

In a statement, he said: "Over the past few weeks I have been working with local groups, residents and other councillors who have concerns over the future of this building. It is understood that First Bus are scheduling a demolition for as early as November this year.

"While I remain open to the future of the building, I am concerned that a demolition can take place on a potentially historical building without a full assessment of the impact, and in this case without any long term development for the land once demolition has taken place. I have been in touch with Historic England who confirmed that it was rejected National Listed Status back in 2014 and have received the report in relation to why.
"I have also spoken to Somerset Council staff who have highlighted that it has a pending review for a locally listed status, but that the processing of this will only take place if a full planning application is submitted. By just requesting a demolition of the building, the trigger to assess it for local listing does not apply.

"My understanding is that Somerset Planning are currently in discussion with First Buses on their proposal to demolish this building, a building that was deemed important enough to receive a blue plaque back in 2000. Given that both Somerset County Council and South Somerset District Council were both in support of the application for National Listed Status back in 2014, I would hope that there is a decision from Somerset Council to reject this demolition without a full development plan to allow a complete assessment to be carried out."

Birthplace to the Nautilus fire grate, Petter Engines and Westland Aircraft, it's one of the few historic buildings Yeovil has left

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

83G/84D

Established Member
Two Sprinters back on the Mousehole after 54112 has returned. All buses serving the harbour.I wonder how long it will last?!

Goldfish62

Established Member
Two Sprinters back on the Mousehole after 54112 has returned. All buses serving the harbour.I wonder how long it will last?!
54112 only seems capable of managing a couple of days so we shall see...

The saga of the most unreliable Sprinters ever continues.

Westnat

54112 only seems capable of managing a couple of days so we shall see...

The saga of the most unreliable Sprinters ever continues.
Surely only 54112 is unreliable. 54111 hasn't been delivered yet and 54113 is off the road with accident damage.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Surely only 54112 is unreliable. 54111 hasn't been delivered yet and 54113 is off the road with accident damage.
54111 hasn't delivered. It should have arrived in December last year. It's almost a year late. It left Turkey at the same time as the others. Four buses were ordered. Even discounting the accident with 54112 that makes only 1 of 3 buses consistently able to do the job they were ordered for. That's utterly pathetic.

Westnat

54111 hasn't delivered. It should have arrived in December last year. It's almost a year late. It left Turkey at the same time as the others. Four buses were ordered. Even discounting the accident with 54112 that makes only 1 of 3 buses consistently able to do the job they were ordered for. That's utterly pathetic.
Yes, pathetic, but down to the manufacturer, not the operator.

B7RLE

Its all down to 53701 & 53505 again today :rolleyes::oops:o_O:lol:

Accelerator59

Sprinters seem unreliable for all the big groups yet bulletproof for independents.
If I remember rightly, didn’t Stagecoach South East have a plethora of 16/66 reg Sprinters for local routes around Ashford but proved unreliable and later transferred them to various parts of the country? And then resorted back to Optare Solos oddly enough.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
If I remember rightly, didn’t Stagecoach South East have a plethora of 16/66 reg Sprinters for local routes around Ashford but proved unreliable and later transferred them to various parts of the country? And then resorted back to Optare Solos oddly enough.
I don't think it was that they proved unreliable. The reality was that the economics of operating 17 seaters on intensive town services simply didn't stack up. Of course, the internal design of the vehicles wasn't great (compared to a Mellor Strata).

Goldfish62

Established Member
I don't think it was that they proved unreliable. The reality was that the economics of operating 17 seaters on intensive town services simply didn't stack up. Of course, the internal design of the vehicles wasn't great (compared to a Mellor Strata).
Yes, nothing to do with vehicle reliability.

Of course, given that Mellor has gone bust the future of the Strata is in some considerable doubt anyway.

Accelerator59

Ah ok, thought it was another reason but was just assuming.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Decker on 'The Mousehole' today: should be called the 'The Part-Mousehole' on these occasions imo. On the other hand, I did see a Sprinter as well.

richw

Veteran Member
We’ve got one of the 66 plates in Plymouth. Unsure what it does.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Continuing FSW's retrenchment they have handed back Taunton P&R and it's going to another as yet un-named operator.

The council’s executive committee announced on Wednesday morning (December 6) that a new contractor had been appointed – and that it would work with Musgrove Park Hospital to improve the service to better suit the needs of the hospital’s staff.

Both park and ride sites currently operated from Monday to Saturday, with single-decker vehicles running every 15 minutes between 6:35am and 7:30pm on weekdays, and every 20 minutes between 8:15am and 6:30pm on Saturdays.

richw

Veteran Member

M803UYA

First in Somerset seem to be in wind down mode. There isn’t going to be a lot left now?

I hate to say it but tend to agree with you.
It allows First to not complete the promised investment in the Park & Ride. That'll leave Taunton with a rump of commercial services plus what they've got from Bridgwater and whatever they take from Yeovil. Not sure on current peak vehicle requirements but it must be going below 100.

It'll be the council's own bus operation taking the route on - no one else has capacity to run it and there aren't any other competitors in Taunton who'd operate bus services. There is Berrys and Ridlers, but they're primarily coach operators.

Goldfish62

Established Member
It'll be the council's own bus operation taking the route on - no one else has capacity to run it and there aren't any other competitors in Taunton who'd operate bus services. There is Berrys and Ridlers, but they're primarily coach operators.
If it's the council's own operation I wonder why they haven't announced the successful bidder yet.

Paperyostrich

If it's the council's own operation I wonder why they haven't announced the successful bidder yet.
Becuase it's another bus operator. If I can say, rumour is (and has been for a while anyway) that it's possibly Stagecoach, who have run the Taunton Park and Ride before and have been snooping around the Taunton and Bridgwater areas lately as well. Stagecoach representatives have been spotted in both towns over the last 6 months

M803UYA

Becuase it's another bus operator. If I can say, rumour is (and has been for a while anyway) that it's possibly Stagecoach, who have run the Taunton Park and Ride before and have been snooping around the Taunton and Bridgwater areas lately as well. Stagecoach representatives have been spotted in both towns over the last 6 months
Have they? That'd be a cat amongst the pigeons.....!

Goldfish62

Established Member
I didn't want to say. But yes, I understood that at least one other large group bid for the contract, despite assertions otherwise on this thread.

Sale of the whole BoS operation to Stagecoach pending?

Note that the FSW/South Head of Ops is moving to Stagecoach early next year.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
If, and it's still in the world of conjecture, Stagecoach were to be the new operator of Taunton P&R, I wouldn't be surprised. Whilst Stagecoach has often sort to extend its tendrils into new territory (e.g. North Devon, Bristol), they are following this policy much more aggressively in recent years. Already, we see Stagecoach operating local services in Birmingham, East Cleveland, North Tyneside, and even expanding back into areas of Devon that they'd lost to Go South West/Dartline so the idea of a return to Somerset isn't so far fetched.

That said, it's quite distant from their nearest operations and whilst they have operated Taunton P&R before, that was from the Cooks depot in Wellington. I've often wondered what might have happened had Stagecoach continued their mid 2000s expansion into Somerset rather than retreating. The service network would undoubtedly be better than the skeletal one that now exists.

MarkC

It's a pity Stagecoach couldn't expand their offerings in Plymouth area a bit! They have recently taken on some subsidised routes in Plymouth and I believe taken back some Devon services lost to Go Ahead in Tavistock area. Also won some school tenders taking them over into Cornwall.