• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Wells Depot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Private Baxter

Established Member
Not quite yet - still in paintshop at the mo.

I assume people know what will be next into the paintshop after 69437 - Weston.

69440 376 today
Hopefully it will be 66721/3, and THEN the Weston fleet, for I gather there is quite a lot they want to do there!! But then there's also the Bath city fleet.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Hopefully it will be 66721/3, and THEN the Weston fleet, for I gather there is quite a lot they want to do there!! But then there's also the Bath city fleet.

There are plenty of vehicles that could do with a new coat of paint; yes, the three old B7RLEs at Wells, the Bath Solos and Darts, various B7TLs (like the few remaining 52/03/53 plates that are in Barbie). In fact, when are they thinking of doing the 6/7 deckers?

Quite noticeable that when vehicles have been despatched to Yorkshire, many have been repainted/repanelled before entering service there, notably the ex Leicester deckers and Somerset 66339 that looked like it had been in the South Atlantic when it was grinding to/from Minehead.

Sorry, gone a bit o/t

Last edited:

Private Baxter

Established Member
There are plenty of vehicles that could do with a new coat of paint; yes, the three old B7RLEs at Wells, the Bath Solos and Darts, various B7TLs (like the few remaining 52/03/53 plates that are in Barbie). In fact, when are they thinking of doing the 6/7 deckers?

Quite noticeable that when vehicles have been despatched to Yorkshire, many have been repainted/repanelled before entering service there, notably the ex Leicester deckers and Somerset 66339 that looked like it had been in the South Atlantic when it was grinding to/from Minehead.

Sorry, gone a bit o/t
No problem. You're quite right, unless it has been confirmed that Weston buses will be next in line for repaint (many there don't actually NEED it like others do), then they could do almost anything, starting with perhaps deckers for the 6/7 in Bristol.
*EDIT. Stupid me, missed out two vital letters in this post. Now says Many DON'T actually need it.... :p

Last edited:

Whiteway215

Established Member
No problem. You're quite right, unless it has been confirmed that Weston buses will be next in line for repaint (many there do actually NEED it like others do), then they could do almost anything, starting with perhaps deckers for the 6/7 in Bristol.

With the completion of the repaints for the B7RLEs on the Bath 5 (plus the odd Solo 53820) do we know if the blue scheme (or any other colour for that matter) is being extended to the rest of the BH allocation?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
With the completion of the repaints for the B7RLEs on the Bath 5 (plus the odd Solo 53820) do we know if the blue scheme (or any other colour for that matter) is being extended to the rest of the BH allocation?

I don't know if we know anything as a cast iron fact.

It would make sense for the last 3 Wells vehicles to be in ME colours, especially as 66722/7 have been painted in Bath.

Painting just one Solo would seem a bit odd but it has happened before (60918 being the sole vehicle repainted in urban for Somerset). However, they do desperately need doing so you'd hope/anticipate so.

As for other vehicles, some of the Darts look very rough cosmetically. However, there are the 6/7 in Bristol lined up and then potentially Weston (EY Streetlites?) so take your pick.

NOTE: 60913 has been repainted in Leeds - a former Wells vehicle

Private Baxter

Established Member
Many vehicles need a repaint regardless of what scheme they will be, for example most buses at Weston do not need it as they were done relatively recently, whilst there are those in Bath that just need repainting into anything, whatever that might be. It does however seem that many of the less urgent ones can take priority. That said, getting the WM streetlites out of Express Yourself isn't necessarily a bad move!

PS Like your final comment GW about 60913 - staying on topic nicely! ;)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Many vehicles need a repaint regardless of what scheme they will be, for example most buses at Weston do not need it as they were done relatively recently, whilst there are those in Bath that just need repainting into anything, whatever that might be. It does however seem that many of the less urgent ones can take priority. That said, getting the WM streetlites out of Express Yourself isn't necessarily a bad move!

PS Like your final comment GW about 60913 - staying on topic nicely! ;)

Thank you (takes bow) :)

THarris123

Established Member
I don't think the 54 reg B7s (66720/1/3/4) in Wells are to be done in Xplorer livery and rumours go that they will join the others in MS. The ex Airport B7s are rumoured to move to Weston and Wells.

Once 69437 has been done, Weston vehicles are due for repainting next. I believe the Bristol and Bath is being done at the same time. It better be done at the same time, as everything in First nationally needs to be repainted out of Barbie by end of this year.

THarris123

Established Member

Not really sure. The blue is only being applied to city services and the country stuff will be in Urban/branded. There are so many rumours going around at the moment it is hard to tell - Streetlites might be done next, new vehicles might be coming in, solos might be done. Pick your choice of what you want to believe :)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I don't think the 54 reg B7s (66720/1/3/4) in Wells are to be done in Xplorer livery and rumours go that they will join the others in MS. The ex Airport B7s are rumoured to move to Weston and Wells.

Once 69437 has been done, Weston vehicles are due for repainting next. I believe the Bristol and Bath is being done at the same time. It better be done at the same time, as everything in First nationally needs to be repainted out of Barbie by end of this year.

Too many rumours circulating.

Firstly, are the Airport B7s actually First's to redeploy anyway? Items such as grab rails are not First spec so perhaps it indicates that they're leased by the airport?

Also, whilst it is an aspiration for First to have it all repainted by the end of the year, I don't know if they actually NEED to. That said, you have some fleets that are very hot on repaints with few vehicles still in Barbie - Cymru especially - whilst FSA/FB is less focussed.

Private Baxter

Established Member
I like the fact that Wells fleet is made up almost entirely of native vehicles so would be a shame to lose 66720 and co. But appreciate that isn't always the main priority with allocations!! That said I can't really see the current airport buses being refurbed, repainted, and going on 175.

Last edited:

THarris123

Established Member
I like the fact that Wells fleet is made up almost entirely of native vehicles so would be a shame to lose 66720 and co. But appreciate that isn't always the main priority with allocations!! That said I can't really see the current airport buses being refurbed, repainted, and going on 175.

Well the B7s are being kept on some of the airport work - Weston Flyer will probably keep 3 as they are, then the rest are going to Weston/Wells, mainly for 126 purposes. They are owned by First too. If Wells do get them, that'll make them the most modern First fleet in the whole of our region and South West/South.

swifty

Established Member
Well the B7s are being kept on some of the airport work - Weston Flyer will probably keep 3 as they are, then the rest are going to Weston/Wells, mainly for 126 purposes. They are owned by First too. If Wells do get them, that'll make them the most modern First fleet in the whole of our region and South West/South.

Indeed they are owned by First as I said over in another thread
IIRC the tender document stated that the operator must source the vehicles themselves, as per the last contract. Therefore First must(?) own the current fleet, not the airport as previously rumoured, and therefore if First feel capacity warrants it then deckers may have been put forward?

The logic in them going to Wells and Weston for the 126 on the other hand! There are much more deserving routers in our region a la Thornbury for a start.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Indeed they are owned by First as I said over in another thread

The logic in them going to Wells and Weston for the 126 on the other hand! There are much more deserving routers in our region a la Thornbury for a start.

Sorry Swifty - I must've missed that. Was it when I was on holiday? :|

I'm with you on the 126 though. There are more deserving cases whether it's the X6-9 or indeed 78/79. That, of course, assumes they don't head anywhere else.

Given that the 126 has had older fleet for as long as I can remember, whether it be RELLs with Badgerline, knackered Lynxes, iffy Darts, 12 yr and older B10BLEs etc - 54 plates fit in quite nicely.

Last edited:

Private Baxter

Established Member
2010/2011 buses going on to 126? You're right wells woild be a very modern depot and I'd love to see it, but I'm not entirely convinced....!

Private Baxter

Established Member
GW's right. 126 has always been the home of second and third hand stick. Usually larger native Wells or Weston stuff. But I have seen no sudden increase in usage that might warrant newer stuff. 126 is one of those rare routes that has maintained a steady clientele for years, indeed decades (neither particularly good nor bad) and the current fleet of 66720-1/3-6 is ideal in my opinion.

THarris123

Established Member
GW's right. 126 has always been the home of second and third hand stick. Usually larger native Wells or Weston stuff. But I have seen no sudden increase in usage that might warrant newer stuff. 126 is one of those rare routes that has maintained a steady clientele for years, indeed decades (neither particularly good nor bad) and the current fleet of 66720-1/3-6 is ideal in my opinion.

I do agree that the 54 reg B7s are fine for 126, but in the summer demand does pick up and there were rumours floating around it would be increased for the summer period.

I know a bit more info, but just need to confirm its ok to post on here.

Private Baxter

Established Member
Remember these and the branding https://flic.kr/p/BsnUGL
I do indeed remember them. Very well! That would have been around 2002 - the 126 left bay 1 of the old bus station at XX:40, whilst the 173 departed from bay 3 a few minute later at XX:43. It isn't terribly different today. The lynx standing in for the usual R BOU B10BLE on this occasion.
And yes as THarris pointed out he is a very familiar and regular driver!

EDIT: Silly me, just seen it's from August 2005. Fewer B10BLEs by this stage, as most were in Weston, and just before 66934-6 came for 173, so an older vehicle on there was probably not uncommon. Oh and I think Vibe FM (now Kiss) was still Galaxy 101 back in 2002. Not that I listen to it!!

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I do agree that the 54 reg B7s are fine for 126, but in the summer demand does pick up and there were rumours floating around it would be increased for the summer period.

I know a bit more info, but just need to confirm its ok to post on here.

I don't expect the 126 to be increased for the summer. It has some ok loadings but it isn't some killer route and the hourly shorts from Weston to Cheddar went years ago.

Rumours, schoumers ;)

Private Baxter

Established Member
I don't expect the 126 to be increased for the summer. It has some ok loadings but it isn't some killer route and the hourly shorts from Weston to Cheddar went years ago.

Rumours, schoumers ;)
Though I expect loadings do pick up a little during summer, I don't believe it's enough to justify a half hourly service. As I said there has been no dramatic increase of people using the route recently and I don't know if Weston is a massively popular destination with day trippers from Wells either. If it were otherwise then I think this would have been looked at years ago. Remember Webberbus 26 had little impact.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Though I expect loadings do pick up a little during summer, I don't believe it's enough to justify a half hourly service. As I said there has been no dramatic increase of people using the route recently and I don't know if Weston is a massively popular destination with day trippers from Wells either. If it were otherwise then I think this would have been looked at years ago. Remember Webberbus 26 had little impact.

Exactly. The 126 isn't a pup of a service but it's not exactly the shining star either. It's decent.

There's the odd very good loading - I remember getting the 0830 run ex Wells a few years ago (just prior to WB) and the B10BLE I was on had a standing load. However....

• It is the one that gets in at just before 10 so was stacked out with pensioners who probably hadn't left the house the day before as it had been monsoon like weather then
  • I left Wells with 2 other passengers and probably collected another 2 at places like Westbury

Otherwise, it's a fairly decent service and I don't see it going to half hourly. Certainly didn't strike me as having the potential that saw the 173 getting enhanced.

The only caveat I might make is if you knocked the A2 on the head, and then send that out through Banwell and then Winscombe to Cheddar but then you cut off the Langfords and Wrington so doesn't feel likely.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Interesting to see a £7 day ticket advertised on those buses - what area did that cover? Strikes me that bus travel is better value these days, what with £6 Bristol Outer Day mobile tickets.

It's a while ago but I think it was the whole South West so the old Southern National area, Badgerline and Cityline, plus North Devon and the old Western National area.

In that respect, it was a bargain but how many people would actually get the benefit of that sort of scope.

A better comparator is the WoE Plus ticket which is £10.

D2007wsm

Established Member
The £7 day ticket would have been the First Day South West which was replaced in part by the First Day West of England and First Day West of England Plus.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The £7 day ticket would have been the First Day South West which was replaced in part by the First Day West of England and First Day West of England Plus.

The interweb did refer to this quote:

"From Penzance to Bristol, from St Ives to Southampton and all First buses in between (*). FirstDay South West tickets are valid for virtually unlimited (*) travel for one day on all First services throughout the West Country". (*) - "local restrictions may apply - please check with your First Travel shop before travelling"

So it was a little bit wider in scope as it included Southampton but it did stretch from Bristol to Cornwall. So theoretically, you could have travelled (at the time) from Bristol to Wells (376) to Taunton (29) to Exeter (92) to Bude (X9) to Wadebridge (122/4) to Bodmin (55) to Snozzell (29) to Truro (27) to Penzance (18) to Lands End (1) for £14 (2 x SW days)

THarris123

Established Member
So no changes are to happen in Wells to the services (which I'm a bit surprised about - I guess they have delayed the changes or realised there isn't the potential for 126).

66720 and 66721 are staying in Wells and being repainted/refurbished into Mendip Xplorer livery.

66723 and 66724 are leaving for Lawrence Hill/Marlborough Street.

Private Baxter

Established Member
So no changes are to happen in Wells to the services (which I'm a bit surprised about - I guess they have delayed the changes or realised there isn't the potential for 126).

66720 and 66721 are staying in Wells and being repainted/refurbished into Mendip Xplorer livery.

66723 and 66724 are leaving for Lawrence Hill/Marlborough Street.
Thanks for updates. Off that 66720 is staying in Wells. The reason being that unless First have big plans for the MH fleet too, then surely it would be better to send an urban bus over to Bristol and 'repaint a bus in Wells that actually needs it, i.e. 66723 or 4. One gears they may continue to go un done at MH.
66724 was I assume only ever a float vehicle for WS anyway so with that almost done it can move on. But won't they then be short without 66723 or can they cope with 25? Might something else come in?

THarris123

Established Member
Thanks for updates. Off that 66720 is staying in Wells. The reason being that unless First have big plans for the MH fleet too, then surely it would be better to send an urban bus over to Bristol and 'repaint a bus in Wells that actually needs it, i.e. 66723 or 4. One gears they may continue to go un done at MH.
66724 was I assume only ever a float vehicle for WS anyway so with that almost done it can move on. But won't they then be short without 66723 or can they cope with 25? Might something else come in?

Well there were other rumours that another vehicle may turn up in Wells.

I'd like to think that 66723 was the float vehicle - biggest pile of s**t that I've seen in Firsts fleet, although it is improving now. Let's put it this way - the drivers found a good way to make it go up hills - go half way up, turn off the engine, then restart it and it flies up the hill. :)

It'll be ashame to lose 66724 and I'm a bit annoyed we're keeping 66720, which as you rightly says is already out of Barbie colours and is quite tidy compared to some of them. 66721 really deserves a refurb/repaint.

Status
Not open for further replies.