• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Callum15632

Does anyone know if 37318 (Citylines Blue) WX57 HJY is actually on the X39 Oldfield School working to Bristol? If it is then it's weird as it is rare and must be on loan to bath to cover for a vehicle.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Whiteway215

Established Member
Bustimes also saying 37352 is on U5 so perhaps some vehicles are on loan or transferred to Bath.
44525 from Bath has been photographed at Cymru Port Talbot.

Benjwri

Established Member
Is FirstBus suffering from bus shortages again? I’ve noticed an increasing amount of Bath U1 and U2s being run using single deck buses, and even quite a few using Solos, which needless to say is causing capacity issues. They managed to get to this point in term using double deckers, but suddenly these seem to be in short supply.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Is FirstBus suffering from bus shortages again? I’ve noticed an increasing amount of Bath U1 and U2s being run using single deck buses, and even quite a few using Solos, which needless to say is causing capacity issues. They managed to get to this point in term using double deckers, but suddenly these seem to be in short supply.
I'd noticed on Saturday that there were non-branded vehicles on the P&R but I put it down to pre-Xmas extras. BusTimes is apparently suggesting that the repowered e400s are all off the road?

TBH, they're saying this has been the case for a while and I can't say I've noticed if the 41 was a 33*** or a 39*** when I've been going into town.

Benjwri

Established Member
I'd noticed on Saturday that there were non-branded vehicles on the P&R but I put it down to pre-Xmas extras. BusTimes is apparently suggesting that the repowered e400s are all off the road?

TBH, they're saying this has been the case for a while and I can't say I've noticed if the 41 was a 33*** or a 39*** when I've been going into town.
I think the e400s have been off the road longer than the issue, but I think might have found the issue, I would guess some of the double fracker might’ve been stolen for Christmas services on P&R

Dren Ahmeti

Yes, all WoE depots in general are struggling for deckers - but Bath specifically are the worst for it atm.

Benjwri

Established Member
Speaking of Bath deckers, I struggle to believe that 33497 from Bristol is doing a Bath U1 today. Feel free to prove me wrong
Will take a look out my window if I remember as it goes past.

Wouldn’t be surprised though, a bunch of Bristol Fuchsia Front 70/71s from Bristol are running the park and rides in bath today for the Christmas market.

On the subject of that, buses are absolutely not coping with the amount of people for them with the train strike. Newbridge P&R car park was absolutely full today, with in told a 1:30hr wait at some points to get through the queue to a bus. Absolutely no staff around either.

jcrwey

Tonight's 9pm D2 departure to Frome left absolutely full to the rafters. Driver wasn't taking money/tickets, just loading people on and off.

Many other services seen in Bath today were full and standing, including an X39 to Bristol around 330pm Which wasn't stopping and had full on the destination display.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Tonight's 9pm D2 departure to Frome left absolutely full to the rafters. Driver wasn't taking money/tickets, just loading people on and off.

Many other services seen in Bath today were full and standing, including an X39 to Bristol around 330pm Which wasn't stopping and had full on the destination display.
Saw that D2 - I was on the 172 following it up through Bear Flat. Big queues for P&R but also X39 and Faresaver routes

Private Baxter

Established Member
Wells seems to be short on capacity at the moment. I was driving along Princes Road past midnight last week, and noticed that there was an e400 parked up in just about every bay in the adjacent coach station. Has the over spill depot behind the cold store gone or something? I also noticed that Wetherspoons have expanded (or relocated) their outdoor seating area immediately to the left of the pub, where cars previously parked, although whether that's related I don't know.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Wells seems to be short on capacity at the moment. I was driving along Princes Road past midnight last week, and noticed that there was an e400 parked up in just about every bay in the adjacent coach station. Has the over spill depot behind the cold store gone or something? I also noticed that Wetherspoons have expanded (or relocated) their outdoor seating area immediately to the left of the pub, where cars previously parked, although whether that's related I don't know.
I drove through Wells the weekend before last. Noticed quite a bit of development around the cold store but it still seemed to be there with the car wash etc.

Marcus Fryer

Recruitment letter from First Bus came through our letter box today:

Attachments

• Drive a bus (1).jpg
    Drive a bus (1).jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 33
  • Drive a bus (2).jpg
    Drive a bus (2).jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Private Baxter

Established Member
I drove through Wells the weekend before last. Noticed quite a bit of development around the cold store but it still seemed to be there with the car wash etc.
In the last ten years we've seen a Morrisons go up, a Premier Inn, a business park and a housing development. Be curious to know the plans for the overspill bus depot.
Recruitment letter from First Bus came through our letter box today:
Got mine too!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
In the last ten years we've seen a Morrisons go up, a Premier Inn, a business park and a housing development. Be curious to know the plans for the overspill bus depot.

Got mine too!
Yeah, you've also got the TePe factory/warehouse there as well. The cold store seems a bit of an anachronism there. I did wonder if the latest developments were also aimed at developing that site but, as I say, the hand car wash is still in operation at the moment.

Private Baxter

Established Member
Yeah, you've also got the TePe factory/warehouse there as well. The cold store seems a bit of an anachronism there. I did wonder if the latest developments were also aimed at developing that site but, as I say, the hand car wash is still in operation at the moment.
Ha, there seems to be something new every time I go back!

Marcus Fryer

“Charlton Boulevard Bus Gate Consultation​

What we want to know and why​

South Gloucestershire Council is asking for community feedback to understand your views on future road traffic arrangements for Charlton Boulevard and Sparrowbill Way.
When the planning permission for Charlton Hayes was granted in the 2000s, a short stretch of bus lane was proposed on Charlton Boulevard between Concorde Roundabout (Hayes Way) and Sparrowbill Way. The inclusion of the bus lane was to ensure that residents had convenient access to frequent bus services.
As the houses were built, this section of Charlton Boulevard was opened to residents to provide access to properties. In 2018, on learning of the proposed bus lane, many residents signed a petition requesting that the road should remain open for general access. The council considered this request and concluded that given recent investment in public transport improvements, such as MetroBus, public transport provision needs had been met by other means. In light of this, the council is proposing to leave Charlton Boulevard open for general access and ask the developer not to complete the bus lane. Before this final decision is made, we would like to consider your feedback.”

Last edited by a moderator:

-Colly405-

Possibly an odd question, but how does Ticketer know where you are in order to note the correct boarding/alighting stop for TOTO (tap on, tap off)?

Checking the transaction record online, I've noticed that one journey on the m1 yesterday shows me as boarding at Patchway Fire Station, but I actually boarded at the next stop, Aztec West. Clearly it doesn't actually matter as in this example the fare is the same, but is this simply old fashioned driver error, or GPS error, or something else?

Personally, I don't see the need for it now - with just one bus an hour each way, and Charlton Boulevard isn't that busy (we have family that live on it...)

Last edited by a moderator:

Benjwri

Established Member
Possibly an odd question, but how does Ticketer know where you are in order to note the correct boarding/alighting stop for TOTO?
According to their site it uses GPS, but the driver can advance them manually. In my opinion tap on tap off is an incredibly flawed system anyways, if nothing else just for fare evasion, there are multiple methods that are already well known.

bathbuses

Speaking of Bath deckers, I struggle to believe that 33497 from Bristol is doing a Bath U1 today. Feel free to prove me wrong!
No, it was one of the normal Bath Unibuses showing up as it
However, there is definitely a Bristol Unibus parked in Bath bus station today...

Harold Hill

On Moderation
Funny thing, yesterday I boarded a 70 at Temple Meads at 09.40 having decided not to try to catch it at Redcliffe Way because the bus stop there was half-hidden behind roadworks. According to the First Bus app the 70 turns right at 'the Arches' on Gloucester Road and heads up towards St Andrews and Ashley Down but it didn't! I asked the driver about it and he told me that its the 73 that does that.
I'm confused, can anyone tell me what's going on, have I misunderstood something?
TYIA

Citistar

Funny thing, yesterday I boarded a 70 at Temple Meads at 09.40 having decided not to try to catch it at Redcliffe Way because the bus stop there was half-hidden behind roadworks. According to the First Bus app the 70 turns right at 'the Arches' on Gloucester Road and heads up towards St Andrews and Ashley Down but it didn't! I asked the driver about it and he told me that its the 73 that does that.
I'm confused, can anyone tell me what's going on, have I misunderstood something?
TYIA
No, it's definitely the 70 that is supposed to do Cromwell Road up though to Ashley Down Road. I think the only change the 70 route has had in that part of the world in the past 25 years is to withdraw the Ralph Road / Muller Road section of the route in favour of Ashley Down Road / Gloucester Road to Filton Avenue, which itself was a throwback from Muller Road Depot running the route.

Perhaps it was a new or agency driver who had got confused?

Harold Hill

On Moderation
Yes, that'd be the simplest explanation, thank you. The driver didn't look like a greenhorn, he clearly told me 'that's the 73'. I'm expecting to be spending plenty of time at an allotment in Ashley Down so I'm keen to get the right bus on the right route in future

-Colly405-

Yup, the 73 has never gone round Ashley Down in my 30 years in Bristol.

I hadn't picked up that the 70 now runs the full length of Ashley Down Rd - when was that changed?

I do remember when I moved to Bristol back in '92, the 70 was only every 30 mins, and Ashley Down was also served by the 71 every 30 minutes (to Filton Church via the "top" of Filton Ave, and the rush-hour 74A (Filton Ave, Stoke Gifford but not Parkway, Bradley Stoke South) which had the sole remaining Lodekka on it most days...

stait.john

Yup, the 73 has never gone round Ashley Down in my 30 years in Bristol.

I hadn't picked up that the 70 now runs the full length of Ashley Down Rd - when was that changed?

I do remember when I moved to Bristol back in '92, the 70 was only every 30 mins, and Ashley Down was also served by the 71 every 30 minutes (to Filton Church via the "top" of Filton Ave, and the rush-hour 74A (Filton Ave, Stoke Gifford but not Parkway, Bradley Stoke South) which had the sole remaining Lodekka on it most days...

Ralph Road is closed for a lengthy spell due to roadworks so the 70 is diverted away from Ralph Road and Muller Road until the works are complete. January some time I think it’s due to open.