• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Quoting an old post, the folly of "cross city" buses clearly seen here today on the 1638 Cribbs Broomhill number 1, right time Park St, 30 late Bristol Bridge....
Seeing quite a lot of that on the 70's now it has been made cross city. Not that it was 100% reliable beforehand but it very much seems much more likely to be hit by substantial delays now. Also noticed a fair few short workings and the like on bustimes.org, no doubt because of the delays (e.g. a service getting to Hengrove late, so heading fast back into town to pick up the return working but obviously skipping the section south of the river). Would be interesting if anyone has any solid data.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stait.john

A big issue at present is the reliability of the ex-Leicester Streetdecks, it’s causing a real headache at Hengrove.

LeylandLynx

The 74 is more unreliable in my view. They're always getting cancelled. The 72 is also always late and full up.
(Image is a screenshot from bustimes.org, showing late running buses)
72VeryLate.jpg74late.jpg

Last edited:

Marcus Fryer

Proposals have been made by Bristol City Council and the West of England Combined Authority to change the M32 into an A road and put in bus stops for the Metrobus routes at Eastville, St Werburghs and St Pauls:

The M32 motorway in Bristol will be reclassified as an A-road under a plan to install bus stops along its length. Bus lanes are also planned along the entire stretch of the road in a move to provide better and more reliable bus services for thousands of commuters.

New bus stops would allow people living in St Pauls, Eastville and St Werburghs to catch the Metrobus services, which currently just pass through those neighbourhoods. But the changes will mean much less space on the road for people driving private vehicles.

A park and ride is also planned on land near Junction 1, although it’s unclear exactly where. Updates on the plans for the M32, and other transport projects, were given to councillors on the growth and regeneration scrutiny commission on Thursday, September 28.
This should properly be in the ‘Bristol Metrobus’ thread, but for some reason that is not open to new posts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Citistar

Surely if the M32 is reclassified to an A-road, then the hard shoulder becomes superfluous and can become a perfectly adequate bus lane without reducing space for other traffic?

LeylandLynx

What happened here? Was the 73 mixed up with the 74? Here the 73 took the 74 route to UWE, then went back to the A4174 via Coldharbour Lane.

73wrongturn.jpg

Revilo

Surely if the M32 is reclassified to an A-road, then the hard shoulder becomes superfluous and can become a perfectly adequate bus lane without reducing space for other traffic?
That wouldn’t suit Bristol City Council’s virtue signalling, which must punish the motorist at all costs.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
That wouldn’t suit BCC’s virtue signalling, which must punish the motorist at all costs.
What punishment would that be? The building of the Stoke Gifford bypass, and the South Bristol Relief Road, using money allocated for metrobus? The fact that bus lanes are often time limited with parking allowed even in the middle of the day?

Private Baxter

Established Member
It appears funding has been found to restore the 126 next year. Although no operator just yet.

The 126 bus serving Weston-super-Mare was due to be axed last year after its full route was deemed no longer commercially viable.

New funding will now keep the full service running until 2026.

The leader of North Somerset Council, Mike Bell, said: "We are definitely working on the 126 service and getting that back as quickly as possible."

The fully reinstated 126 will now also serve Hutton and Uphill, as well as Weston-super-Mare.

-Colly405-

Anyone know why the Gasferry Rd stop on Anchor Rd is so-called?

The only vaguely relevantly named road nearby is Gasworks Lane, even on an old map. Gas Ferry Rd itself is nearby (less than 1/4mile away) , but on the opposite bank of the Floating Harbour.

stait.john

37355/37358 have transferred from Lawrence Hill to Hengrove for the double decking of the 72, with 47444/47447 going the other way and reintroducing Streetlites to LH, these have converted the 36 back to single deck.

A number of 63xxx Streetlites are due at Hengrove to provide a slight capacity increase on the 8. From where I do not know.

And look out for more E200MMCs into Bath to replace the B7RLEs.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
37355/37358 have transferred from Lawrence Hill to Hengrove for the double decking of the 72, with 47444/47447 going the other way and reintroducing Streetlites to LH, these have converted the 36 back to single deck.

A number of 63xxx Streetlites are due at Hengrove to provide a slight capacity increase on the 8. From where I do not know.

Dare I suggest that with swingeing service cuts in Cymru, that will release vehicles to move across?

Private Baxter

Established Member

Thanks for updates. I drove past something that looked like an E200MMC on the 19 yesterday... it was in Cymru Clipper livery.

I will be disapppointed to see the B7RLEs go, if indeed they do.

Citistar

The new 126 will not be sustainable or even operable unless North Somerset have made concessions over what was tendered, which was impossible to operate. Part of the service included a school service from Churchill to Wrington requiring high capacity vehicles, yet the route being proposed around Elborough, Locking and Hutton would not be safe for anything larger than a very small Solo. The timetable was also completely different on School Holidays to School Terms for the whole day, which is very customer unfriendly. Part of the problem is that the service was tendered by Somerset Council, whose tendering system is little short of a protectionist racket. To my knowledge, two operators have shown an interest, neither of whom are on the Somerset tendering system. One of them had proposed to completely restructure the service as tendered on the basis of it not being safely operable.

North Somerset Councillors, particularly leader Mike Bell, seem to be under the impression that the service is a done deal. But then, he and previous council leaders have got a track record of repeating untruths fed to them by their staff. If it is going to happen, then we should be seeing a registration very shortly to start in January as the full 70 day notice period would be this weekend.

Callum15632

Where will the B7RLEs end up then if they are getting replaced by E200MMCs? Will the discover B7RLEs also get replaced or are they staying? Also I am assuming the streetlites may come from South Yorkshire as I don't know anyone with 63xxx streetlites other than potteries maybe? Will 47435-47441 transfer elsewhere or stay on the 8s along with the 63xxx's?

cnjb8

Established Member
Where will the B7RLEs end up then if they are getting replaced by E200MMCs? Will the discover B7RLEs also get replaced or are they staying? Also I am assuming the streetlites may come from South Yorkshire as I don't know anyone with 63xxx streetlites other than potteries maybe? Will 47435-47441 transfer elsewhere or stay on the 8s along with the 63xxx's?
63xxx StreetLites are operated by many First opcos. There is a rumour that Aberdeen may release theirs when the hydrogen StreetDecks return, don't know if its true

Fin447

Do you know which B7RLEs are being replaced? WX59s, BJ10/BJ11s or all of them?

stait.john

Do you know which B7RLEs are being replaced? WX59s, BJ10/BJ11s or all of them?
Aberdeen are providing the 63xxx Streetlites with the 47xxx buses transferring to Worcester. This will provide a small capacity increase on the 8.

Callum15632

Aberdeen are providing the 63xxx Streetlites with the 47xxx buses transferring to Worcester. This will provide a small capacity increase on the 8.
How about the B7RLEs? Which batch will get replaced? BJ10s, BJ11s or WX59 or all of them? Will they get scrapped or move on to a different area?

Whiteway215

Established Member
How about the B7RLEs? Which batch will get replaced? BJ10s, BJ11s or WX59 or all of them? Will they get scrapped or move on to a different area?
Only a guess but perhaps some WX59s might be converted to trainers because some of the existing West of England trainers are getting old.

Callum15632

I like to think they've got a few years left. They're in reasonable condition as well.
Bristol need them to be honest in my opinion for the 8 as that gets way busy. Maybe 69500/69501/69505/69506/69507/69509/69510/11 could go to First South Yorkshire as some of that batch are already there and if they go there then maybe there are vehicles that need replacing there maybe? If not I'm not sure where they will go?

Private Baxter

Established Member
Bristol need them to be honest in my opinion for the 8 as that gets way busy. Maybe 69500/69501/69505/69506/69507/69509/69510/11 could go to First South Yorkshire as some of that batch are already there and if they go there then maybe there are vehicles that need replacing there maybe? If not I'm not sure where they will go?
69449-60 started life on the 8, but were deemed too large, and were very quickly moved off the 8 and onto the 70.

Callum15632

I have often thought that E200 MMC would be better on the 8.

Dave
That actually seems like a good idea. I don't know why First West Of England didn't purchase any around 2017/2018/2019 years? Slightly off topic here but Stagecoach West's e200 MMCs in Cheltenham cope well with capacity especially on the C, D and 42 as I sampled 3 of them for the first time on Thursday 19th October 2023