• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Revilo

You're confusing me with somebody who knows the correct funny handshakes to get on the Somerset tendering system. Speaking of which, the West of England Combined Authority started inviting bids for their own DPS (Dynamic Procurement System) today. It runs to 206 pages. Good job i've got a bit of time on my hands at the moment, i suppose. Whether i can be bothered to waste it filling in how much of a Social Justice Warrior i am, i don't know.
They are also introducing a new Weston 9 service, serving Worlebury and other areas previously served by the 50. Not sure who the operator is yet.

Citistar

They are also introducing a new Weston 9 service, serving Worlebury and other areas previously served by the 50. Not sure who the operator is yet.
I believe First are doing it, to keep the vehicles occupied which are currently doing the 10 between Bridgwater College movements.

M803UYA

Another success story that won't get mentioned in any press releases. The lack of an appropriately timed arrival in Wells on Saturday morning for shoppers is really poor.
Saves a bus, though! Evidently on Saturday the timetable is trying to cater for people who work rather than shop.

Stompehh

First have submitted a planning application to electrify Hengrove depot, providing charging space for 130 buses.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-08 17.32.49.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-08 17.32.49.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 58

KX03HZY

First have submitted a planning application to electrify Hengrove depot, providing charging space for 130 buses.
That explains why the Electroliner has been down there recently.
I suspect that this is the West of England Combined Authority ZEBRA2 bid (they were listed as having done an EOI (expression of interest)).

Last edited by a moderator:

buscoaster

I see the U5 is now a single deck route. How does it cope with loadings. It used to be a 10 minute frequency with deckers, and even that couldn't cope with demand.

Callum15632

Does anyone know when the 63xxx streetlites are coming to Hengrove and when they will enter service? 47677/78 are in Bristol, which depot are they for? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

MasterSpenny

A 15% patronage rise has happened over the course of this year.

First West of England welcomes 15% patronage rise​

First West of England has reported a 15% year-on-year increase in patronage across its network for 2023.

The operator, which runs services in Bristol, Bath, Weston-super-Mare, Wells and surrounding towns and village, says nearly 53 million passengers boarded this year – compared to just over 46 million in 2022.

The rise is below the overall 20% increase seen for bus journeys made in Great Britain, according to the Department for Transport statistics published last month, although this was for the year to March 2023.

First West of England also claims that 83% of its services ran to time this year versus 78% for last year and that 98% of planned bus trips took place in full. The number of journeys cut short or cancelled dropped by 60% compared to 2022.

It added nearly 80,000 miles to its bus network this year.

Doug Claringbold, Managing Director for First West of England, says: “The past three years have been a tough time for the bus industry. Not only did we – like the rest of the world – have to contend with COVID, but we’ve also faced the challenge of encouraging people back onto buses in a world where people’s lives and travelling habits have dramatically changed.

“We have also faced driver shortages, continuing traffic congestion, and ongoing, significant increases in costs.

“But, despite all of this, our customer numbers are growing, and I’m pleased that the hard work we’ve put into reviewing our network and amending timetables has not only enabled us to increase the number of buses but also reduce the number of journeys we’ve had to cancel or reduce as well as improving our punctuality.

“I’m confident that the great work our teams are doing to provide the best possible services will continue, and with our use of the latest cutting-edge technology to plan our network, we’ll be able to make even more improvements to our bus services.

“With well over a million passengers travelling on our services every week, we recognise we don’t always get it right, but I hope the figures we’ve released today show that we are moving in the right direction, and it will give current and future passengers the confidence to keep using our buses or give the bus a try.”

stait.john

69500/1 Lawrence Hill to Greater Manchester (via paint shop at Adderley Green) to become part of the Bee Network presumably from Rochdale from March 24th.

47444/47447 Lawrence Hill to Weston
37358 Weston to Lawrence Hill

Callum15632

69500/1 Lawrence Hill to Greater Manchester (via paint shop at Adderley Green) to become part of the Bee Network presumably from Rochdale from March 24th.

47444/47447 Lawrence Hill to Weston
37358 Weston to Lawrence Hill
Any more changes coming up very soon? 69505/6/7/9/10/11 to follow 69500/01? Also maybe 69437/69443/44/45/46/47/57 to follow as well to Manchester?

Last edited:

Private Baxter

Established Member
Happy new year to all regular commentators!
I realise I've been fairly quiet here this past year, perhaps merely a reflection of how things have been on our network in 2023!
Looking ahead, who really knows what 2024 will bring. It gets off to a reasonably positive start, with the return of the 126, as well as recent reports of healthy passenger growth compared to 2022, so we'll see what else is to come.
Rumours of several depots being earmaked for electric facilities suggest an upgrade for some routes this year, with hopefully some much needed new buses on others.
Let's wait and see!

Callum15632

Once I pass my car test and get my driving license could I apply to be a bus driver in Bristol or do I need to wait 6 months?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Once I pass my car test and get my driving license could I apply to be a bus driver in Bristol or do I need to wait 6 months?
Please start a separate thread if you have a query that's unrelated to the thread topic.

Marcus Fryer

I don't know how to start a separate thread I'm sorry.
Go to the ‘Buses & Coaches’ thread main page and it’s on the right-hand side at the top. But there’s already a ‘Jobs and Careers in the Bus & Coach Industry’ thread in which you could be posting your query.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Go to the ‘Buses & Coaches’ thread main page and it’s on the right-hand side at the top. But there’s already a ‘Jobs and Careers in the Bus & Coach Industry’ thread in which you could be posting your query.
That thread is only for posting vacancies.

@Callum15632 I've moved your query into a separate thread. All responses should go here: