• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Tommy Walters

I believe there was a picture posted here of press commercials showing 69448 in for a repaint and 69458 repainted into discover livery. There is also 47556 in for a repaint and 39141 in Bath City livery next to them but the picture didnt show this.

Edit - just looked at the picture again and you can see a glimpse of pink that is 47556.

I've heard rumours that Press Commercials messed up on the repaints, and put 69458 into Discover when it should've received BathCity livery. As such, 69448 has now unexpectedly moved up there to ensure that the intended 6 vehicles receive the BathCity blue.

As for 47556 - maybe being badgered?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I don't think the Aberdeen B9TLs will be painted into Mendip livery, as the native Geminis have almost been repainted out of that livery. I think with new brands popping up around WoE, we could see one for 171/2

Think my point is that the 171/2 essentially are Mendip Explorer; they were prior to March and it's only because of Covid that there are additional shorts being operated by Bath depot.

I don't see why we would have a separate brand for routes that, aside from a wander round Paulton and Farrington, follow the 173/4?

Talking of which, have the plans for the 126 becoming the Strawberry now been cancelled?

D2007wsm

Established Member
I believe there was a picture posted here of press commercials showing 69448 in for a repaint and 69458 repainted into discover livery. There is also 47556 in for a repaint and 39141 in Bath City livery next to them but the picture didnt show this.

Edit - just looked at the picture again and you can see a glimpse of pink that is 47556.
I've heard rumours that Press Commercials messed up on the repaints, and put 69458 into Discover when it should've received BathCity livery. As such, 69448 has now unexpectedly moved up there to ensure that the intended 6 vehicles receive the BathCity blue.

I would have thought 47556 is probably being Badgered, there should be enough painted to cover the PVR of the Weston 3 which is currently 7. Two Darts which are all ready Badgered will be retained for the 5.

it surprises me though that one of the mTicket Streetlites is being done, these are useful for covering any route if needed. Presumably at least one mTicket or Urban Streetlite will be retained to cover the A3 when it returns.
Think my point is that the 171/2 essentially are Mendip Explorer; they were prior to March and it's only because of Covid that there are additional shorts being operated by Bath depot.

I don't see why we would have a separate brand for routes that, aside from a wander round Paulton and Farrington, follow the 173/4?

Talking of which, have the plans for the 126 becoming the Strawberry now been cancelled?
Nothing has been said whether the Strawberry Line branding for the 126 has been dropped. The decision if it is introduced whether to paint deckers or singles.

If it’s deckers I can see some of the Urban E400s from Bath being done to try and keep Wells all E400 or if Weston gains a board it will match the Excel fleet. If not B9s.

On the other hands if it’s singles would it be Streetlites which may struggle or a home for 3 of the older B7RLEs?

Whiteway215

Established Member
Is my memory playing tricks or was there ever a section of the 126 route that made it unsuitable for decker operation? Or was it that passenger numbers only justified a single decker?

D2007wsm

Established Member
Is my memory playing tricks or was there ever a section of the 126 route that made it unsuitable for decker operation? Or was it that passenger numbers only justified a single decker?
It was always said, that deckers were unsuitable for the 126 due to overhanging buildings in Axbridge as well as the narrow section in Banwell with a building each side.

Since then, the powers that be route checked the 126 using an E400 (which are quite high) and they have deemed it suitable.

I have been on a 126 on certain days during the summer and a B7RLE was full and standing, so when things return to normal if a single is used, I think a Streetlite will struggle.

freetoview33

Established Member
It was always said, that deckers were unsuitable for the 126 due to overhanging buildings in Axbridge as well as the narrow section in Banwell with a building each side.

Since then, the powers that be route checked the 126 using an E400 (which are quite high) and they have deemed it suitable.

I have been on a 126 on certain days during the summer and a B7RLE was full and standing, so when things return to normal if a single is used, I think a Streetlite will struggle.
It seems like a route where a single would be fine 90% of the time but the other 10% of the time it needs a double or an increased frequency.

Whiteway215

Established Member

Thanks for confirming that. Banwell is bad enough getting a car through let alone a bus!!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
It seems like a route where a single would be fine 90% of the time but the other 10% of the time it needs a double or an increased frequency.
Not even that often. Nice day and the first bus the twirlies can use their pass on, then it’s busy. As the Weston board wasn’t/isn’t a twirlie journey, they could probably get away with a StreetLite.

cnjb8

Established Member

Ah well that makes sense. I'm not familiar with the routes, but I try to keep up with what's said on here. Is the plan to move 171/2 back to Wells after Covid or are they going to transfer the whole service to Bath? If the plan is to move the service to Wells, then maybe the SV08 Geminis can displace more E400s from Bath to Wells to operate it, but then again I am always wrong about these things :D:s

Tommy Walters

Ah well that makes sense. I'm not familiar with the routes, but I try to keep up with what's said on here. Is the plan to move 171/2 back to Wells after Covid or are they going to transfer the whole service to Bath? If the plan is to move the service to Wells, then maybe the SV08 Geminis can displace more E400s from Bath to Wells to operate it, but then again I am always wrong about these things :D:s
Thing is, will the 171 still even exist post Covid? Remember that it was only introduced as a result of the combined 10 minute frequency between Norton & Bath. If the 15 minute 172/3/4 combined service comes back, combined with the 376 reverting to 1/2 hourly, then Wells should have more than enough buses on their allocation to cover it.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

The old pattern pre-Covid was from Wells to Bath (173/4), then a short 172 to Paulton and back to Bath, before a return to Wells. Think it needed 11 vehicles but I forget! So all 172s were interworked with 173/4 and providing a 15 min common headway and 100% Wells allocation.

Once social distancing is hopefully rendered redundant, I’d expect that pattern to return thought the numbering of some 172s to 171 (denoting the reversed route around Paulton) was sensible and might remain.

Buses in Bath

I've seen someone saying that but I doubt think it was a mess up. If it was why wouldnt they just repaint it into Bath City. 69448 just isnt needed for lynx and was the odd one out for ages. As well as this remember that these are being painted to replace 66726 and 66886. As well as this there are 4 discover buses off the road and so it makes sense to repaint 69448 due to the vehicle shortage on the D1/D2

freetoview33

Established Member
I think keeping the 171 and 172 will work, it does make things much clearer!
The M2 is on diversion again due to "Bridge Repair Works" for 2 weeks, I often wonder why the elevated bridge needs so much repair work.

henairs

Thanks for confirming that. Banwell is bad enough getting a car through let alone a bus!!
Quite agree about Banwell, been stuck going through there many times on 126. Only practical solution would be a bypass. Maybe that's been muted locally but I don't live near enough to know such things.
These days most vehicles are wider than years ago like a lot of folk that travel in them! Lol,
Cheers,
Mike R

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Quite agree about Banwell, been stuck going through there many times on 126. Only practical solution would be a bypass. Maybe that's been muted locally but I don't live near enough to know such things.
These days most vehicles are wider than years ago like a lot of folk that travel in them! Lol,
Cheers,
Mike R
More than mooted - it's got the funding and they've agreed terms https://www.n-somerset.gov.uk/news/banwell-bypass-new-school-under-way Bypass is a precondition of releasing space for housing developments

freetoview33

Established Member
It will be interesting to see what comes in terms of extra buses with the A368/A371 developments. I know when the whole idea of homes at Churchill and Banwell were mooted there was talk of a new service along the lines of the 121 route, although with the U2 I'm not sure it is really needed. Although I wouldn't be surprised if the 126 did see an upgrade or something.

D2007wsm

Established Member
It will be interesting to see what comes in terms of extra buses with the A368/A371 developments. I know when the whole idea of homes at Churchill and Banwell were mooted there was talk of a new service along the lines of the 121 route, although with the U2 I'm not sure it is really needed. Although I wouldn't be surprised if the 126 did see an upgrade or something.
That would be good to allow travel to Bristol, but a service towards Weston serving Churchill, Sandford, Winscombe and Banwell would be good. It could be timed to meet the U2 at Langford for connections towards Bristol.

matt_splat

I had heard a suggestion that the A3 could become a route that combines the old A2 and 121 routes together, i beleve pre covid the airport was looking to provide a service to clevedon as well again

D2007wsm

Established Member
I had heard a suggestion that the A3 could become a route that combines the old A2 and 121 routes together, i beleve pre covid the airport was looking to provide a service to clevedon as well again
The drivers who drive the A3 have not been told that. The airport have to provide a direct link between Weston and the airport.

The old A2 carried very few people between Weston and the airport, most users were travelling between intermediate stops or into Weston. If this were to happen, it would loose passengers. The old A2/121 took about an hour to get to the Airport, the A3 takes about 35-40 minutes. I also can’t see the Airport paying to run a service which is mainly used as a local service.

I heard a link to Clevedon may happen, but again when the A2 ran past the airport to Yatton and Portishead etc. It didn’t carry that many people.

carlberry

Established Member
There may be a bung as part of a planning requirement when the houses get built (if the government haven't removed all planning law before then!), I cant see anything being upgraded otherwise especially if they heek deckers on the 126.

freetoview33

Established Member
There may be a bung as part of a planning requirement when the houses get built (if the government haven't removed all planning law before then!), I cant see anything being upgraded otherwise especially if they heek deckers on the 126.
Well there would at least need to be a Churchill bus other than the A5!

DaveHarries

Established Member
The drivers who drive the A3 have not been told that. The airport have to provide a direct link between Weston and the airport.

The old A2 carried very few people between Weston and the airport, most users were travelling between intermediate stops or into Weston. If this were to happen, it would loose passengers. The old A2/121 took about an hour to get to the Airport, the A3 takes about 35-40 minutes. I also can’t see the Airport paying to run a service which is mainly used as a local service.

I heard a link to Clevedon may happen, but again when the A2 ran past the airport to Yatton and Portishead etc. It didn’t carry that many people.
I think the only reason that the 121 saw a drop in usage was that the fares became too high. I used to use the 120/121 in the late 1990s when I was a pupil of Sidcot School and, IIRC, a return back in those days was around £3.30 which made it cheaper than the bus laid on by the school (£5 per day) but, IIRC, the return from Winscombe to Bristol was £6.60 by the time the 121 was withdrawn. If Bristol City Council want to have some hope of cutting car usage then rural services, such as the 121, are a good idea but it depends on the fares. You could probably cut the Felton and Winford section from the 121 if it was reintroduced and that would make the journey quicker but then the locals in Felton and Winford would probably express a wish for a bus service of some description.

I used to enjoy those rides to and from school.
Dave

carlberry

Established Member
I think the only reason that the 121 saw a drop in usage was that the fares became too high. I used to use the 120/121 in the late 1990s when I was a pupil of Sidcot School and, IIRC, a return back in those days was around £3.30 which made it cheaper than the bus laid on by the school (£5 per day) but, IIRC, the return from Winscombe to Bristol was £6.60 by the time the 121 was withdrawn. If Bristol City Council want to have some hope of cutting car usage then rural services, such as the 121, are a good idea but it depends on the fares. You could probably cut the Felton and Winford section from the 121 if it was reintroduced and that would make the journey quicker but then the locals in Felton and Winford would probably express a wish for a bus service of some description.

Dave
The fares would depend on whoever is subsidising the service (developer or council), however I cant see the council having any money to do it as it was them that stopped it running. Bristol City Council appear to be happy with the drop in car usage and, even if they wanted to put money into bus services to achieve a drop, a few commuters from North Somerset villages isn't even likely to get onto their priority list.

matt_splat

How much differnt would a sped up A2 be though would be the question, all i had been informed is that it had been mooted, the airport paying money for it would i'm sure look good when it comes to support for planning they need for expanding

Private Baxter

Established Member

Dave
I'm trying to remember when the 121 got withdrawn. 2015? It had a very short lived replacement, as the 21, a twice daily (mornings only) service between Temple Meads and the airport, operated by one of the city depots.

I used the 121 once or twice to get to the airport, not to catch a flight but to hire a car for weekend use, as I could use my FWoE day ticket to get there, but then I had the luxury of time so could afford to be picky with which bus I took, at a time when the 121 had been reduced to two hourly.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I'm trying to remember when the 121 got withdrawn. 2015? It had a very short lived replacement, as the 21, a twice daily (mornings only) service between Temple Meads and the airport, operated by one of the city depots.

I used the 121 once or twice to get to the airport, not to catch a flight but to hire a car for weekend use, as I could use my FWoE day ticket to get there, but then I had the luxury of time so could afford to be picky with which bus I took, at a time when the 121 had been reduced to two hourly.
You're right - the 121 was withdrawn in early 2015. It was replaced by the A2 from Weston to the Airport that was expanded from the previous version, and the 21. The latter was operated by Hengrove depot but it didn't go the Airport, only getting as far as Felton.

I can't see any incarnation reappearing if I'm honest. The A3 is to provide a fast route to the Airport and the A5 provides a single bus for the villages. With some s.106 funding from the developers at Locking and Banwell, you might have a short journey (one bus) slotting in the timetable to provide a half hourly frequency from Weston to Banwell?

Citistar

North Somerset Council told me last year that the developments at Churchill had no funding whatsoever for public transport provision as the developers had argued that the Falcon service was an adequate provision. Their transport planners are too weak to argue that huge developments could require (for example) services to the major local college. Whether there will be money available from any other building works, i don't know, but it is difficult to see anything else currently being built which would be relevant to the old A2/121 corridor.

First were supposed to begin a service between Yatton and Clevedon back at Easter under contract to NSC, which appeared to have been delayed until September even before Covid struck. I think this was expected to be piggybacked off the A3 in the form of an Airport-Yatton-Clevedon service. God knows what form it will take now, or whether it will ever happen.

The A5 is due for retender at Easter 2021 and i have been advised that it is unlikely to be retained in it's current form.

Well there would at least need to be a Churchill bus other than the A5!

Churchill is relatively well off for buses with A5, U2, Falcon and even our 128 and 134 providing some cross country links. Villages off the main road such as Wrington, Felton and Winford are rather less blessed, with only the A5 since North Somerset stopped paying for our Friday 135.

In all honesty, what this area could do with is a period of stability. There have been so many different short-lived services over the past eight years that most of the passengers have disappeared. North Somerset are attrocious for this approach of using short term funding for unsustainable but high profile projects (66, 88A/C, A2, North Bristol Fringe commuter coaches, the original two bus A5). The A5 typical of a local goverment solution to the problem which completely fails to address any of the transport requirements of anybody living on the road and was subject to political meddling from the Airport prior to introduction to prevent it from being useful to anybody.

DaveHarries

Established Member
The A5 is due for retender at Easter 2021 and i have been advised that it is unlikely to be retained in it's current form.
Doesn't surprise me tbh: whenever I have seen A5s out and about the driver has been the only person onboard.

Dave