• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Private Baxter

Established Member
I think work began on the new bus station in 2005, ready for a 2006 opening, so it would have been some time in 2005. What I do remember is it was not long after B7RLEs 66716-66737 first arrived.
However the allocation continued to be referred to as Marlborough Street until only a year or so ago.

freetoview33

Established Member
I think work began on the new bus station in 2005, ready for a 2006 opening, so it would have been some time in 2005. What I do remember is it was not long after B7RLEs 66716-66737 first arrived.
However the allocation continued to be referred to as Marlborough Street until only a year or so ago.
The depots of the Operator Licence are as follows:
Lawrence Hill - 170 Vehicles
Bristol Bus Station/Marlborough Street - 300 Vehicles
Wells - 20 Vehicles
Wells Cold Store - 7 Vehicles
Weston super Mare - 60 Vehicles
Bath - 150 Vehicles
Hengrove - 155 Vehicles

So a theoretical total of 862 Vehicles

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Checking on flickr (as usual), Marlborough Street's demolition began in 2004. The interim bus station was in use in Spring 2005 which was when I remember it in use. https://www.flickr.com/photos/15223...vdu-oZRVTF-bVA3Gy-2iz4vAn-oZRW8i-65EYt-fmExve (not my photo)

cnjb8

Established Member
Think it was about 2004/5

The depots of the Operator Licence are as follows:
Lawrence Hill - 170 Vehicles
Bristol Bus Station/Marlborough Street - 300 Vehicles
Wells - 20 Vehicles
Wells Cold Store - 7 Vehicles
Weston super Mare - 60 Vehicles
Bath - 150 Vehicles
Hengrove - 155 Vehicles

So a theoretical total of 862 Vehicles

Checking on flickr (as usual), Marlborough Street's demolition began in 2004. The interim bus station was in use in Spring 2005 which was when I remember it in use. https://www.flickr.com/photos/15223...vdu-oZRVTF-bVA3Gy-2iz4vAn-oZRW8i-65EYt-fmExve (not my photo)
Thanks. I'd seen Marlborough Street listed as a depot on various FWoE fleetlists until recently and had assumed it was the bus station

Private Baxter

Established Member
Thanks. I'd seen Marlborough Street listed as a depot on various FWoE fleetlists until recently and had assumed it was the bus station
Historically it was. The depot was at the back of the old bus station, complete with servicing facilities. When the site was redeveloped in the mid 00s, the depot was relocated to Lawrence Hill, but kept the name Marlborough Street, presumably so as to distinguish it between them and Lawrence Hill depot who provided the city services, but with whom they shared facilities.

freetoview33

Established Member
Historically it was. The depot was at the back of the old bus station, complete with servicing facilities. When the site was redeveloped in the mid 00s, the depot was relocated to Lawrence Hill, but kept the name Marlborough Street, presumably so as to distinguish it between them and Lawrence Hill depot who provided the city services, but with whom they shared facilities.
I think the main driving force was the lower wages for Marlborough Street staff

Whiteway215

Established Member
I see 32003 (withdrawn) and 32004 32007 (in service until 23 Dec) and 32008 have all been removed from the bus tracker. Gone elsewhere perhaps?

The Bristol Unibus MMCs have been on tour again in the last few days....
33493, 497, 498 plus 67108 noted at Dorridge today for Rail Replacement to Warwick Parkway, for Chiltern. Wasn’t there long enough to see whether they were just standbys or not, but were certainly causing a stir with the local residents posh houses they were parked outside of ! Have attached a photo below

For anyone interested the other buses noted were more local examples of the Stagecoach Leamington and Ridleys Coaches fleets, plus some Merc minibuses from Vectare.

Attachments

• B48145FE-CB6B-4D3A-AB05-F389F06E88DC.jpeg
    B48145FE-CB6B-4D3A-AB05-F389F06E88DC.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 37

carlberry

Established Member
Lots of gas buses all over the place today! A red one and a 73 Green on the 2, a Red one on a T1 to Thornbury and what looked like a barbie one on the X9 this evening (hopefully returning via the same route!).
I hope this is because of the reduced services or rail replacement and not some indication that the vehicle allocation will go to pot now that JF is retiring!

freetoview33

Established Member
Lots of gas buses all over the place today! A red one and a 73 Green on the 2, a Red one on a T1 to Thornbury and what looked like a barbie one on the X9 this evening (hopefully returning via the same route!).
I hope this is because of the reduced services or rail replacement and not some indication that the vehicle allocation will go to pot now that JF is retiring!
Based on pass years it is because of the former. Last week there was a 73 branded scania parked along Pen Park Road (Southmead) must have broken down whilst on route 2. Was a very odd sight.

Private Baxter

Established Member
It's odd isn't it, ever since colour coded route branding, seeing one out of place really does look odd. For example seeing a yellow fronted e400 working the 48 or 49 in Fishponds looks so out of place even though vehicle types are virtually identical.

Last edited:

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I'm told that 35119, the final Streetdeck from South Yorkshire, via repair at Leicester, should have now arrived in the Bristol area.

Private Baxter

Established Member
Here we are at the end of the year, and whilst it hardly seems worth reviewing the year in buses as I normally might, I thought I might at least look at where things stand at the end of this unexpected year.

Much of the network is now double decker operated, even on routes we never thought we would see them, and Wells of all depots is now 100% decker. Whether some of these changes remain after social distancing ends remains to be seen.

Early in the year, when life was still normal, 77 gas buses arrived for routes operated by both Lawrence Hill and Marlborough Street, and with the introduction of the city:lines brand for services in Bristol, taking over from the never completed coloured front style, of which plenty still exists in the city. This will no doubt continue into the new year, with rumours of the 5, and 75/76 next to receive treatment.

Bath seems to have become the depot of the single deck now, and the 59 reg B7RLEs from Wells all transferring for their route 5, as well as a few for Discover, whilst some of those of retirement age are gradually withdrawn. Many soldier on, in both Bath and Hengrave, though regretfully I expect these to be gone before too long.

Many planned changes in the year never took place, and the impact of Covid has had a huge affect on the network. As things slowly start to return to normal (we hope) in the next few months, so too might the bus industry start to recover, though whether it ever returns to pre Covid levels remains to be seen.

On that note, however 2020 has treated you, I wish you all a happier 2021, and thanks for the discussion over the last year.

freetoview33

Established Member
Here we are at the end of the year, and whilst it hardly seems worth reviewing the year in buses as I normally might, I thought I might at least look at where things stand at the end of this unexpected year.

Much of the network is now double decker operated, even on routes we never thought we would see them, and Wells of all depots is now 100% decker. Whether some of these changes remain after social distancing ends remains to be seen.

Early in the year, when life was still normal, 77 gas buses arrived for routes operated by both Lawrence Hill and Marlborough Street, and with the introduction of the city:lines brand for services in Bristol, taking over from the never completed coloured front style, of which plenty still exists in the city. This will no doubt continue into the new year, with rumours of the 5, and 75/76 next to receive treatment.

Bath seems to have become the depot of the single deck now, and the 59 reg B7RLEs from Wells all transferring for their route 5, as well as a few for Discover, whilst some of those of retirement age are gradually withdrawn. Many soldier on, in both Bath and Hengrave, though regretfully I expect these to be gone before too long.

Many planned changes in the year never took place, and the impact of Covid has had a huge affect on the network. As things slowly start to return to normal (we hope) in the next few months, so too might the bus industry start to recover, though whether it ever returns to pre Covid levels remains to be seen.

On that note, however 2020 has treated you, I wish you all a happier 2021, and thanks for the discussion over the last year.
The 2A and 72A came into being and the 9 and 9 were withdrawn as planned.

Private Baxter

Established Member
The 2A and 72A came into being and the 9 and 9 were withdrawn as planned.
True, the 2A was launched, albeit six months later than planned, whilst the 72A was the result of a consultation on the 9, and was introduced more or less when they intended.

freetoview33

Established Member
True, the 2A was launched, albeit six months later than planned, whilst the 72A was the result of a consultation on the 9, and was introduced more or less when they intended.
True but the 9 was withdrawn earlier than planned due to covid, also the 72A had a route minor route change after less than week!

-Colly405-

Not sure how unusual this is but 39401 is currently heading to Yate on a Y6. Not seen it for ages.
The seating is now the same blue&green as the main batch of Gas buses

Private Baxter

Established Member
Not sure how unusual this is but 39401 is currently heading to Yate on a Y6. Not seen it for ages.
Which one is 39401? I've really lost track of what's what! I didn't realise any of them had different seating, except presumably the metrobus ones.

carlberry

Established Member
Which one is 39401? I've really lost track of what's what! I didn't realise any of them had different seating, except presumably the metrobus ones.
It's the original one from 2017 that's still green (but not number 24 green or number 73 green!). YN17OHP

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

It's the original one from 2017 that's still green (but not number 24 green or number 73 green!). YN17OHP
Think @-Colly405- is getting mixed up. I was out in 2017 and stumbled on the Lawrence Hill open day (I didn't even know it was on) where it was one of the main exhibits so I took this picture because the skylights were an interesting feature but as you can see, it had the green/blue seating from new. It caught my eye at the time as, up to then, I think it had been confined to the P&R buses with the other 66 plates having standard eLeather.

DSC_9330 rev.JPG