• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Westonian

Operators who bid on the contracts for 2/4/6 (B1/C1/C2 as were) were told that the services were being operated commercially.
Thank you for that info. I'm surprised its a commecial operation and won't last long if it doesn't serve areas where there is a high proportion of elderly people. I have now been told by a member of First staff that they can't serve parts of the route because 'we don't have any minibuses' - so why bother to run it if they haven't got the right kit. Keeps other potential operators off their patch I guess.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Thank you for that info. I'm surprised its a commecial operation and won't last long if it doesn't serve areas where there is a high proportion of elderly people. I have now been told by a member of First staff that they can't serve parts of the route because 'we don't have any minibuses' - so why bother to run it if they haven't got the right kit. Keeps other potential operators off their patch I guess.
Perhaps it is to protect market share? Makes you wonder why they didn't keep Bath Solos 53806/20 if they had a mind to operate these, perhaps using fully depreciated fleet would also have been preferable

Tommy Walters

I'm more inclined to go with @swifty's view that it might be to do with their use on country work such as various Mendip Explorer or the D1x routes where their extra length may be an issue. Certainly, the similar aged ones on Bristol P&R look in much better nick. I don't know if the colour matching is poor on the Bath ones or if the paint fades quicker than the factory baked examples but they look a right mess.

These are typical (credit to photographers)

On 33947, you can see the obvious panel minus the logo but the n/s corner has also clearly been, and think the o/s and panel beneath the cab window are also replacements. 33948 is even more glaring.

The 65 plate ones don't look too bad but there is the odd scuff etc

947 has been like that for around 3 years now. No idea why it never got branded!

946 has a rather different colour side panel too.

948 meanwhile is the worst of the lot, doesn't even carry the uni branding anymore!

Being 11.5M they have a longer wheelbase and thus pretty poor turning circle, you'll find the same panels frequently getting damaged on 11.5/11.8M E200MMCs too!

Case in point here, @lx12ddo & I both saw this accident occur at the Uni campus last year!

Whiteway215

Established Member
Any news yet on new Wessex Water contract buses? I read on another website 44902 has gone to Red Eagle buses but this may be a bit premature?

swifty

Established Member
Any news yet on new Wessex Water contract buses? I read on another website 44902 has gone to Red Eagle buses but this may be a bit premature?

see posts #29025/7 - they left at the beginning of April. 902 appears to be in service with them already.

E200s YX21 RRO/U have arrived at Bath for the Wessex Water work. Both are in standard dealer spec again (same as the HCT ones locally) and are slightly longer at 10.4/10.8m?

Last edited:

Whiteway215

Established Member
I see the long lost 32360 which had been quoted variously as being withdrawn for scrap at Bath, allocated to Lawrence Hill, or allocated to Weston, seems to have come back to life! The bus tracker for yesterday quotes it as working on the 75 so presumably has ended up at Hengrove.

lx12ddo

947 has been like that for around 3 years now. No idea why it never got branded!

946 has a rather different colour side panel too.

948 meanwhile is the worst of the lot, doesn't even carry the uni branding anymore!

Case in point here, @lx12ddo & I both saw this accident occur at the Uni campus last year!
I reckon the panel on 946 is what used to be on 948 post-turning circle blunder back in early 2020. Same shade as the replacement panel, which made 948 stand out from the lot. Guess the MMCs might be in for a patching up paint job just before the next academic year begins in September. No point doing it for this year’s cohorts as it’s almost over !

Snow1964

Established Member
There were a few First Bristol double deck buses working a rail replacement service from Chippenham to Bath along A4 at weekend.

Was behind one in car, didn’t note the reg but it was a 19 plate, on the 60mph single carriageway from A350 up hill to Corsham. Annoyingly driver was doing lot less than 60mph holding everyone else up.

Dai Corner

Established Member
There were a few First Bristol double deck buses working a rail replacement service from Chippenham to Bath along A4 at weekend.

Was behind one in car, didn’t note the reg but it was a 19 plate, on the 60mph single carriageway from A350 up hill to Corsham. Annoyingly driver was doing lot less than 60mph holding everyone else up.
Buses are limited to 50mph on single carriageway roads.

Whiteway215

Established Member
44520 ex Hengrove was working on Wessex Water turns yesterday. I presume this has returned to Bath pending the entry into service of the new Wessex Water contract buses and that HE can operate the 24a with just 44523 and 44907.
35116 has now transferred to HE.

carlberry

Established Member

You do realise it's a limit and, even for car drivers, it's not against the law to do less than then limit?

carlberry

Established Member
Indeed, and were it to be a goods vehicle, it's 40 mph

It used to be however they changed it a few years ago (except in Scotland!):

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/cha...speed-limits-for-lorries-in-england-and-wales
  • The national speed limits for HGVs over 7.5 tonnes, travelling on a single carriageway increased from 40mph to 50mph.
  • The speed limit for HGVs over 7.5 tonnes, travelling on dual carriageways increased from 50mph to 60mph.
The speed limits in Scotland remain the same and European speed limiter requirements also remain unchanged and must be set at 56mph or lower.
I believe they didn't publicise it as 'huge lorries allowed to speed through rural areas' didn't sound like a good press release!

NJ51

Indeed, and were it to be a goods vehicle, it's 40 mph
As I learned at my last speed awareness course the speed limits for HGVs were increased from 6th April 2015 to 50mph on a single carriageway road and to 60 mph on a dual carriageway.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
It used to be however they changed it a few years ago (except in Scotland!):

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/cha...speed-limits-for-lorries-in-england-and-wales

I believe they didn't publicise it as 'huge lorries allowed to speed through rural areas' didn't sound like a good press release!
With the exception of the A9 between Perth and Inverness where HGVs can do 50MPH as they've found it's safer due to cars being less likely to make dangerous overtakes.

Perhaps this discussion could be moved to it's own thread?

Marcus Fryer

Several Citylines East Scania gas buses on the Chippenham route, Bath City/Discover Volvo B7RLE on the Westbury route and Bath City Optare Solo on the Bradford-on-Avon via Freshford route. The vehicles concerned can be found by reference to the bustimes.org tracker, where they are shown as route 444 or 555.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
You do realise it's a limit and, even for car drivers, it's not against the law to do less than then limit?
It does depend as if you are going slow enough you actively become a danger to other road users and so could probably be done for dangerous driving or something similar.
(I am thinking of something like someone doing 10mph on the middle lane of a motorway for example).

83G/84D

Established Member
Indeed and at the risk of getting a rebuke from the moderators for going too much off topic it was the same on the A30 over Bodmin Moor when it was upgraded. It was a40 or 50 mph temporary limit with cars tailgating dangerously because someone was going on or just below the speed limit.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Several Citylines East Scania gas buses on the Chippenham route, Bath City/Discover Volvo B7RLE on the Westbury route and Bath City Optare Solo on the Bradford-on-Avon via Freshford route. The vehicles concerned can be found by reference to the bustimes.org tracker, where they are shown as route 444 or 555.
Indeed, I was driving back from Melksham on Saturday and seeing a Discover vehicle in the town was a surprise, before passing a couple of gas buses (one SGL, one 73) between Box and Batheaston.

Marcus Fryer

According to the bus times.org tracker deckers have been operating on the 72a Monday to Friday since 12 April. Today it was 32545 and 37607 - confirmed sightings this afternoon.

Last edited:

Mr_c

Just been on the 20 to Burnham on sea and noticed the bus stop flags around Brean say badgerline. Is this a recent development? I'm sure last time I got the 20 the flags had a picture of an open top coaster on them. They look very smart. Photo of badger line bus stop in Brean.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210425_154811_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    Screenshot_20210425_154811_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 47

Buses in Bath

Just been on the 20 to Burnham on sea and noticed the bus stop flags around Brean say badgerline. Is this a recent development? I'm sure last time I got the 20 the flags had a picture of an open top coaster on them. They look very smart. Photo of badger line bus stop in Brean.
Yes it is new and i think they got put up the weekend the timetbales were changing. They're smart but its a shame as it kind of shows that there may not be an interest in putting open toppers back on the route again in the future even with the trees cut down.

D2007wsm

Established Member
Yes it is new and i think they got put up the weekend the timetbales were changing. They're smart but its a shame as it kind of shows that there may not be an interest in putting open toppers back on the route again in the future even with the trees cut down.
They were swapped over on a weekday last week. I believe to cover the fact Coaster branded vehicles are not being used and instead a lot of the time Badgerline Darts.

However yesterday it was all Urban with the 2 Urban E400s 33569 & 33685 and B7TL 32333, 32335 and 32338 and and today it is a mixture of Urban and Badgerline with Urban 33569 and Badgerline B7TL 32357 doing the honours.

Dart 42901 sustained front end damage last week. I wonder if that will be repaired.

Perhaps the intention is to convert some newer open tops when something becomes availabe as the current ALX400s are getting on and leak like a sieve. Or have a ‘Badgerline Coast Rider’ brand like there used to be.

Class 33

Established Member
The 73's(along with I expect, the X39's and some other services) still have the "Due to the current lockdown we are running a reduced service. Our services are for essential journeys only." recorded PA announcements going off every 5 minutes! Along with the visual display screens also featuring a screen saying "Our services are for essential journeys only.". This is weeks out of date now. They really need to take these announcements/screen messages off of these buses!

Last edited:

carlberry

Established Member
There is a report on Facebook that 39005, the Wright Hybrid, is now in Badgerline colours.

Citistar

39005 has been in and out of Locking Road Coach Park several times this morning. I don't believe it's been in service, possibly shuttling drivers between Oxford Street and there? It certainly pulls away well from rest now...!