• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Martin2013

As someone who has used the 47 to travel to the North Yate area I'm not surprised its being withdrawn. Everytime I've been the only passenger traveling all the way from Bristol to Yate but interestingly there have normally been others on traveling to/from Yate Bus Station and the Brimsham Park stops- presumably to connect to a Y1 at the bus station. I'd say that there is demand for a bus service there but just not one that goes all round the mulbery bush before eventually reaching Bristol.

The section between Bristol and Eastgate seems to be well utilised. It also runs through quite a poor part of the city where probably the buses are a lifeline for the residents so those passengers will really loose out if that section isn't replaced.

Interestingly on a Sunday the last departure on the Y1 will be 2245 from Bristol Bus Station whereas the last departure on the T1 will be later than present at 2330. Presumably this is because T1 has BSIP funding whereas Y1 has none?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaveLondon

How come when searching the operator license, it's says Marlborough Street bus station licenced 300. Seems very high?
It is also very wrong too!! The ONLY reliable figure is the total number of licences at the end which is often not the total of the vehicles authorised at specific locations. David

Cesarcollie

It is also very wrong too!! The ONLY reliable figure is the total number of licences at the end which is often not the total of the vehicles authorised at specific locations. David

correct. The fleet total is the total maximum. Individual authorisations at sites are the maximum at that site, so the totals often won’t tally.

-Colly405-

nterestingly on a Sunday the last departure on the Y1 will be 2245 from Bristol Bus Station whereas the last departure on the T1 will be later than present at 2330. Presumably this is because T1 has BSIP funding whereas Y1 has none?
Looking at the new Sunday T1 timetable (the only day published so far) it also appears to be running from the Centre (C2 - the metrobus stop) rather than Bus Station, and operating via UWE. Timings are odd, wiht it leaving the Centre at xx30 (to UWE and Thornbury) and xx40 (to UWE only).

I'm presuming that the routing via UWE is to replace (and enhance) the 10, which Stagecoach have cancelled north of Parkway.

Callum15632

Looking at the new Sunday T1 timetable (the only day published so far) it also appears to be running from the Centre (C2 - the metrobus stop) rather than Bus Station, and operating via UWE. Timings are odd, wiht it leaving the Centre at xx30 (to UWE and Thornbury) and xx40 (to UWE only).

I'm presuming that the routing via UWE is to replace (and enhance) the 10, which Stagecoach have cancelled north of Parkway.

How do you know that the 10 is cancelled north of parkway?

-Colly405-

If you go to the VOSA registrations page

...for 21st Feb and select the CSV (comma separated values) export it gives you details of the amendments registered, including the 10 not running north of Parkway.
Mind you, the link I posted last night to Firsts new Sunday timetable for the T1 is no longer live either as they've now posted all the new timetables, except that for the T1 which is now ominous in its complete absence. And the new First area map for Bristol shows the T1 on its current route between the M32 and Bradley Stoke.
So who knows!

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The WECA (West of England Combined Authority) tender award stated it was only awarded on the basis of running Parkway to Avonmouth.
Terms such as WECA may be known in a certain locality, but it should not be assumed that everyone else in the rest of the UK knows what you're talking about. You must define your jargon!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
As someone who has used the 47 to travel to the North Yate area I'm not surprised its being withdrawn. Everytime I've been the only passenger traveling all the way from Bristol to Yate but interestingly there have normally been others on traveling to/from Yate Bus Station and the Brimsham Park stops- presumably to connect to a Y1 at the bus station. I'd say that there is demand for a bus service there but just not one that goes all round the mulbery bush before eventually reaching Bristol.
The 47 was never for people travelling from Bristol to Yate but a series of other flows, essentially for Pucklechurch into Bristol but also other locations such as Emersons Green, and for people in places like Downend, Pucklechurch and Westerleigh into Yate. To travel the full length would be the mark of a masochist :D There may be some demand from North Yate to Bristol but it isn't enough to sustain a service commercially.

Surely some of the people that you've seen travelling to/from Yate bus station AREN'T going to Bristol and are sampling the simple delights of Yate.

As for the changes in my manor, I am bamboozled. The 379 goes as soon as it has appeared, but being replaced by an expanded 172 which seems to have positioning journeys from Wells. Does that mean there's some mad interworking with the 172 and the 376 and the 173/4? Also having lost the 178 in its full form in September (?) then it essentially now reappears but as the 522. I was expecting the Radstock to Bath service to move from 4 buses per hour, but not to 5!

Be interested to know where the drivers are that will operate all these services.

Marcus Fryer

B9TL/Wright Gemini 37330 has covered several journeys on the m1 this afternoon and evening (from 16:28 onwards).

freetoview33

Established Member
The 47 was never for people travelling from Bristol to Yate but a series of other flows, essentially for Pucklechurch into Bristol but also other locations such as Emersons Green, and for people in places like Downend, Pucklechurch and Westerleigh into Yate. To travel the full length would be the mark of a masochist :D There may be some demand from North Yate to Bristol but it isn't enough to sustain a service commercially.

Surely some of the people that you've seen travelling to/from Yate bus station AREN'T going to Bristol and are sampling the simple delights of Yate.

As for the changes in my manor, I am bamboozled. The 379 goes as soon as it has appeared, but being replaced by an expanded 172 which seems to have positioning journeys from Wells. Does that mean there's some mad interworking with the 172 and the 376 and the 173/4? Also having lost the 178 in its full form in September (?) then it essentially now reappears but as the 522. I was expecting the Radstock to Bath service to move from 4 buses per hour, but not to 5!

Be interested to know where the drivers are that will operate all these services.
I admit I am with you on this one. I think WECA (West of England Combined Authority!) have lost the plot.

Last edited:

contrex

As someone who has used the 47 to travel to the North Yate area I'm not surprised its being withdrawn. ...

The section between Bristol and Eastgate seems to be well utilised. It also runs through quite a poor part of the city where probably the buses are a lifeline for the residents so those passengers will really loose out if that section isn't replaced.
It's not all poor on the inner part of the 47. I live in St Werburghs which is quite comfortably off in parts. Lots of young professionals moving into my street. Over the years, we've gone from two routes (5 and 25), then the 25 was axed, then the 5 was replaced by the hourly 47 and now that is being withdrawn. I don't have or want a car (my eyesight would make me a danger on the road). I do find the bus handy for getting a full shopping wheely trolley home from Eastgate, or to get home from town, especially if it's raining. There is a rumour on the 'West of England Buses - Have your say' Facebook group that a replacement for the inner part of the 47 will be provided, but I wonder if that might be wishful thinking. I have written our MP, Thangam Debbonaire, and the Ashley Ward BCC councillors to see what they have to say.

Last edited:

Callum15632

37359 is coming back to Bristol from York and 37387 and 37682 are also transferring down. Also 47670/71/72 are also coming from Southampton or Weymouth.

henairs

37359 is coming back to Bristol from York and 37387 and 37682 are also transferring down. Also 47670/71/72 are also coming from Southampton or Weymouth.
The three Streetlites would be from Hampshire, probably ex Southampton ones.
They started out at Weymouth several years ago now.

Callum15632

If it's the one I'm thinking of, 37359 left for York years ago.
Yes it is. It's 37359 WX57 HLZ numerically the last of the 373xx batch. We are getting these buses because the PVR (Peak Vehicle Requirement) is increasing. The 1/2, 3/4, 6/7 AM Peak, T1 and many other routes are increasing in frequency.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
If it's the one I'm thinking of, 37359 left for York years ago.
That's why he saying return to Bristol. New to Lawrence Hill, sent to Bath, then swapped for the pup that is 39005. Slight coincidence that 37387 is moving South, with Bath having lost 37388 (ex Bolton) last year.

Interesting to see what gives with the major changes, not least the staffing challenges

Callum15632

That's why he saying return to Bristol. New to Lawrence Hill, sent to Bath, then swapped for the pup that is 39005. Slight coincidence that 37387 is moving South, with Bath having lost 37388 (ex Bolton) last year.

Interesting to see what gives with the major changes, not least the staffing challenges
Weston are getting Streetdecks from Lawrence Hill, Hengrove or Bath. They need 18 extra Streetdecks and they will replace the B9TL Geminis currently at Weston.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Weston are getting Streetdecks from Lawrence Hill, Hengrove or Bath. They need 18 extra Streetdecks and they will replace the B9TL Geminis currently at Weston.
That’s a lot of additional Streetdecks even if they are replacing the B9TLs at Weston which according to Bustimes number seven (37325/33/35/54/55/56/611)

Callum15632

That’s a lot of additional Streetdecks even if they are replacing the B9TLs at Weston which according to Bustimes number seven (37325/33/35/54/55/56/611)
You are forgetting 37319. They aren't just replacing the B9TLs at Weston. Weston Depot have extra work from April 2nd or April 3rd so they need an extra 9 Streetdecks but they are getting 18 to replace the B9TLs aswell.

Whiteway215

Established Member
You are forgetting 37319. They aren't just replacing the B9TLs at Weston. Weston Depot have extra work from April 2nd or April 3rd so they need an extra 9 Streetdecks but they are getting 18 to replace the B9TLs aswell.
Thank you for confirming that. I wonder from which depot the additional Streetdecks will come?
A while ago some of the Bath ones used on the U5 were transferred for use in Weston so perhaps that might happen again.

-Colly405-

Can anyone in the know on the various IT systems explain an oddity that happened tonight..?

The vehicle for the 2139 m4 from town arrived in on the southbound arrivals stop in good time as usual. About 5 minutes after it was due to depart northbound it set off, turned round at the end of Broad Quay and drove back past the departure stop, lights out and destination blank.

The vehicle then tracked on bustimes following the full m4 route all the way to Cribbs, tracking as an m4. Progressing through the stops on the First app, it appears to have not recorded any passengers joining en route as it remained as 69+1 spaces for the whole journey.

As a result, the following m1 did not call at Cabot as it was full, so anyone there wanting m1-exclusive stops had a half hour longer wait because of the odd M4...

All very strange...

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
It’s gone live this morning. There’s a few interesting points of note;
- D2x introduced to Frome via the A36
- 172 extended to Bristol and replaces 379. 376 and 172 now routed via Victoria Street in Bristol.
- 522 introduced between Bath, Somer Valley, Keynsham and Bristol.
- 23 & 91 withdrawn in Bristol, but previously reduced services increased again.
- 35 and 47 withdrawn and replaced by new operators.
- On Sundays 349s become a 17 at Keynsham Church and continue to Southmead
- P&R services to be operated by a new operator
- Frequency increases on the X1 and X4 and new X8 introduced.

Just to confirm 62953 is still in Barbie, it was out this morning on driver training.

More like X8 being reintroduced, it always has existed before! It was then withdrawn last year (I believe?) due to low passangers number, replaced by a diverted X7, but clearly this didn't seem to work, so things are kinda going back the way it used be before

AllanMacF

37611 is now working in Bristol. I photographed it on the 47 this morning.

37611 is now working in Bristol. I photographed it on the 47 this morning.
Actually, are you sure 37611 was at Weston? The wmbusphotos.com First changes pages show it as Hengrove - Marlborough Street in Period 6 2018/19, then Marlborough Street to Lawrence Hill by 7/3/22.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whiteway215

Established Member
37611 is now working in Bristol. I photographed it on thr 47 this morning.

Actually, are you sure 37611 was at WM Bob? The wmbusphotos.com First changes pages show it as HE-MH in Period 6 2018/19, then MH-LH by 7/3/22.
According to Bustimes 37611 was working the Bristol Marlborough Street 47 on 30 January, on Weston’s 7 to Haywood Village on 1 February. Between then and 8 March it’s recorded as working various Weston services such as 1/7/20.On 8 March it worked the Weston 7 but on 9 March Bustimes shows 37611 working on the Bristol 6 and working various Lawrence Hill and Marlborough Street duties since.

AllanMacF

According to Bustimes 37611 was working the Bristol Marlborough Street 47 on 30 January, on Weston’s 7 to Haywood Village on 1 February. Between then and 8 March it’s recorded as working various Weston services such as 1/7/20.On 8 March it worked the Weston 7 but on 9 March Bustimes shows 37611 working on the Bristol 6 and working various Lawrence Hill and Marlborough Street duties since.

Many thanks for that full account! You must keep a daily tally on everything and not just in Bath. Well done.

stait.john

Many thanks for that full account! You must keep a daily tally on everything and not just in Bath. Well done.
37356 is on loan to cover the RTC damage to 35682 and 37611 was on loan too for a while, but now back. Likewise 37354 is on loan to Weston (WM) from Hengrove (HE) as was 37593 but that’s now back at HG.

In other news 33951 was on the 70 today and 39415 was on the m2 late evening replacing 36812. 39411 was on m1.

Last edited by a moderator:

Callum15632

37356 is on loan to cover the RTC damage to 35682 and 37611 was on loan too for a while, but now back. Likewise 37354 is on loan to WM from HG as was 37593 but that’s now back at HG.

In other news 33951 was on the 70 today and 39415 was on the m2 late evening replacing 36812. 39411 was on m1.
I saw 33951 on the 70. I saw it 3 times as I was on a stagecoach 11. 39415 didn't operate via the guideway as it doesn't have guidewheels. 39415 replaced 36811 which broke down at Redcliff Hill. Does anybody know what will operate on the 522 (Bristol to Bath ones) not the Keynsham Short ones.

Marcus Fryer

From today's South Gloucestershire Council's email newsletter:
"Charlton Hayes bus gate decision

The Charlton Hayes Boulevard will remain open to traffic after 92% of residents unanimously spoke out against turning it into a bus gate, which was agreed in 2008 as part of the development’s planning consent. In light of this feedback, we have made the decision to allow Charlton Boulevard to remain open to all traffic. Remedial work to remove the bus gate signage and bus lane, as well as improvement works to widen the Sparrowbill Way junction, will now take place."