• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Citistar

LeylandLynx

So it seems the new no. 5 will take the same route as the 8 to Christ Church from the City Centre, and then it turns around. Essentially a curtailed version of the 8.

-Colly405-

Which is what 8 expected. Capacity improvements on the key part of the 8. Just like the 77 (for the 1/2/2a/75/76).

Wondering if the 41 and 15 will replace the 3, resulting in more journeys on the 4 instead?

LeylandLynx

Which is what 8 expected. Capacity improvements on the key part of the 8. Just like the 77 (for the 1/2/2a/75/76).

Wondering if the 41 and 15 will replace the 3, resulting in more journeys on the 4 instead?
Wonder what the changes to the 8 itself will be. Guess we'll know for sure in the near future.

Will1am

The 41 will use Portway though

Callum15632

The 41 will use Portway though
Yeah it will so there isn't any point on getting rid of the 3 as that means coombe Dingle and by the Bristol university won't have any services to Lawrence Weston and Cribbs Causeway. The 3 does a different route to the 4 after the top of Black Boy Hill. Also Avonmouth won't have a service.

Callum15632

Is 35101 coming to Bristol as that's what I heard? Also I heard that the changes were being published soon.

Last edited:

Citistar

Is it the same as the old 179, or have they tried to get it to cover most of BaNES in an hour?
The version that WECA demanded is as follows:
Odd Down P&R - 179 to Timsbury - Greenvale Drive - Radford - Paulton - (Ham Lane, Downsway, Specklemead, Hospital) - Tesco - Welton - MSN - Westfield estates - Radstock.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
An interesting email just received about the return of revenue inspectors.

Hi there,

From Friday 1st March, we'll be introducing Revenue Protection Officers on board our buses across the West of England.

Our Revenue Protection Officers will be regularly riding on our bus network to ensure everyone is travelling with a valid, correctly issued ticket.

When travelling, please have your ticket ready to show - this might be:

• A valid printed ticket for your journey

• A valid ticket on the First Bus App

• A valid ticket on any partner apps, for example PlusBus or Travelwest Travelcard

• A valid smartcard

• A concessionary bus pass

• The credit/debit card or the contactless device you used for Tap on, Tap off journeys

• Any other valid travel document

You must also be ready to show any ID associated with your travel ticket, for example your student ID or First Photo ID pass.

If you're unable to show a valid ticket to travel or the required ID for your ticket our Revenue Protection Officers will issue a standard fare charge of £50.

I recall 25 years ago when I was in Bath, an inspector would position themselves at the bus stop on Monmouth Place, board each bus to do a check. Did that sort of process go away? Is revenue protection a growing issue in the area.

johnnychips

Established Member
An interesting email just received about the return of revenue inspectors.

I recall 25 years ago when I was in Bath, an inspector would position themselves at the bus stop on Monmouth Place, board each bus to do a check. Did that sort of process go away? Is revenue protection a growing issue in the area.
Not quite related, but we got this sort of thing on First Doncaster about six months ago. A pair got on a week after it was introduced; the bus had to wait while they checked paper tickets and cards from the ticket machine printout; caused about seven minutes delay; not seen one since.

SSmith2009

Not quite related, but we got this sort of thing on First Doncaster about six months ago. A pair got on a week after it was introduced; the bus had to wait while they checked paper tickets and cards from the ticket machine printout; caused about seven minutes delay; not seen one since.
Exactly the same in Leicester

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I agree Hardly worth evaiding a £2 fare. But I have seen people paying £2 cash and no ticket issued on a few occasions.
At least based on reddit posts there's plenty of people in Bristol buying student tickets when they aren't eligible for them. So may be hardly worth it but plenty of people do it.