• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The exile

Established Member
I agree Hardly worth evaiding a £2 fare. But I have seen people paying £2 cash and no ticket issued on a few occasions.
I’ve also witnessed full bus loads being waved on by drivers when there’s late running. Good for the passengers in the short term of course (though a bit galling if you’ve got a season ticket!)

Will1am

And I'm sure up thread it says that the 5 is running to Christ Church, whereas the 8 continues past there.
Indeed, the 8 however could easily become a decker, if moved to a different stand at Temple Meads. This could be the aforementioned change of the 8.

Callum15632

Indeed, the 8 however could easily become a decker, if moved to a different stand at Temple Meads. This could be the aforementioned change of the 8.
Highly doubt they will do that as they recently got some ex Aberdeen Streetlites for more capacity for the 8. Also 35101 is coming from First South Yorkshire and someone also said 15 of something are coming from FWY (First West Yorkshire)?

Last edited:

Whiteway215

Established Member
Dated 26 February a summary of the 7 April service changes has now appeared on the First Bristol, Bath and West of England website under ‘Planned Changes’

kei.8532

Had a look through the 48 and 49 changes, bringing 48x and 49x via M32 to reduce journey times, but only running it towards city centre.

Also had a look through the road layout which they claim it would still be time beneficial running via Stapleton Road to Fishponds, but they could have simply rerouted half the journeys from Old Market Roundabout via A4044 to get to M32 to run faster journeys, additionally they can also pick up passengers at Carbot Circus South, benefits people catching the usual 48 and 49 at the near Old Market Street stop and make use of the capacity.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
D1X confirmed, hourly between (basically) 6am and 6pm, Monday - Saturday

**NEW SERVICE** D1x (Bath – Trowbridge)
We are pleased to announce in partnership with Wiltshire Council the introduction of a new service between Bath and Trowbridge, offering faster connections and more capacity to the residents of Bath, Trowbridge, Bradford-on-Avon and Farleigh Wick. The D1x will run fast into Bath via the Bradford Road/Sally in the Wood and London Road, making limited stops in Farleigh Wick.

The D1x will be around 15 minutes quicker into Bath than an equivalent D1 journey at peak times. It will also run between existing D1 journeys where possible, so customers will benefit not just from a faster journey option, but also an enhanced frequency of buses between Bath, Bradford-on-Avon and Trowbridge. As the service will not pass under the low railway bridge at Limpley Stoke, we will be able to utilise double decker vehicles.

The new D1x will run hourly from around 5am until 7pm Monday to Saturday, with the first trip into Bath at 05:55 and the last trip out of Bath at 18:35.

The service will be initially supported by Bus Service Improvement Plan (BSIP) funding in partnership with Wiltshire council, with the objective of generating enough demand over the next couple of years for the service to sustain itself at the end of the BSIP funding. We hope that customers will value and make good use of the new service so that it may become a permanent feature of the Wiltshire bus network.

Timetable & route map coming soon.

stuu

Established Member
There are some "interesting" changes to the 29 and 75 services in Somerset, to become extensions of the 376 and operate through to Bristol. This sounds problematic from a timekeeping point of view. It's being spun in the local rag as a cheap way to get to Bristol, which isn't my idea of fun.

Previously Service 29, will now be renumbered Service 374. The service will be extended to Bristol calling at Street, Glastonbury and Wells. The service will follow the route of Service 376 between Street and Bristol, additionally calling at Windmill Hill. Changes to improve punctuality have been applied on all days of operation, and this has caused some departure and arrival times in Taunton to be adjusted.

-Colly405-

From what is on the new timetables section of First's website, the Henleaze terminus of the 77 is Dorset Rd, i.e. one stop south of Lake Rd, by the Eastfield Inn.

CD

There are some "interesting" changes to the 29 and 75 services in Somerset, to become extensions of the 376 and operate through to Bristol. This sounds problematic from a timekeeping point of view. It's being spun in the local rag as a cheap way to get to Bristol, which isn't my idea of fun.

The first 374 from Taunton at 0906 arrives Bristol at 1214, last return to Taunton 1357 arriving 1711. Cannot see many people wanting to do a day trip, especially when the train takes just over half an hour.

richw

Veteran Member
The first 374 from Taunton at 0906 arrives Bristol at 1214, last return to Taunton 1357 arriving 1711. Cannot see many people wanting to do a day trip, especially when the train takes just over half an hour.
Surely any would use the falcon

Buses in Bath

I’m amused by the claim that the new Bristol 5 will allow people to enjoy the night life of Clifton with services running till 21.45! What bit of night life finishes in time to catch a bus at 21.45?
I know right. Even more ironic considering there is a new route from another company coming in April that will actually let people on competing first routes have a night life.

embers25

Established Member
Thanks to the stupidity of AI timetabling we now have 0912, 0924 then 1011 from Wells to Bristol and in the evening the last one from Taunton misses the onward Bristol bus in Glastonbury by 4 mins!

Will1am

Okay but you're all going to laugh at the 15 timetable. 3 round trips daily mon-sun.
Great replacement for the 3 which will no longer serve avonmouth!

Callum15632

Okay but you're all going to laugh at the 15 timetable. 3 round trips daily mon-sun.
Great replacement for the 3 which will no longer serve avonmouth!
I don't think it's supposed to be a replacement for the 3. They are telling people to get the 41 into Shirehampton and change onto a 3 or 4 from there. Also for a peak time only 15 service you can at least expect them to do a bus every 30 minutes in peak times. That's just having a laugh doing weird times and only 3 journeys in each direction and not at regular times.

Citistar

I don't think it's supposed to be a replacement for the 3. They are telling people to get the 41 into Shirehampton and change onto a 3 or 4 from there. Also for a peak time only 15 service you can at least expect them to do a bus every 30 minutes in peak times. That's just having a laugh doing weird times and only 3 journeys in each direction and not at regular times.
The 15 is clearly based around the shift patterns in a certain warehouse. Given that Westlink has minibuses seemingly permanently parked at Cribbs Causeway, perhaps passengers between Avonmouth and Cribbs should make their demand for transport known, if it exists. I'm guessing there is very limited demand otherwise the 3 wouldn't be going.

Citistar

Thanks to the stupidity of AI timetabling we now have 0912, 0924 then 1011 from Wells to Bristol and in the evening the last one from Taunton misses the onward Bristol bus in Glastonbury by 4 mins!
This looks to be the effect of trying to get every bus synchronised to provide the correct arrival time at Strode College.

The gaps in the Bath - Midsomer Norton services and the Keynsham - Bristol services are equally ludicrous.

Callum15632

The 15 is clearly based around the shift patterns in a certain warehouse. Given that Westlink has minibuses seemingly permanently parked at Cribbs Causeway, perhaps passengers between Avonmouth and Cribbs should make their demand for transport known, if it exists. I'm guessing there is very limited demand otherwise the 3 wouldn't be going.
Westlink isn't used for it's proper purpose anyway.

-Colly405-

Similar timings to the extensions beyond McLaren Rd on the 10. Yes, shifts.

Will1am

Which depot will the 77 be ran from and what buses will it use? Also what buses will be used on the 5,15 and 41?
All most likely out Lawrence Hill, 77 possibly Hengrove.

5, 77 will most likely use Geminis
15 will most likely use Streetlites
41 will most likely use citylines / east E400CBGs
46/47 will most likely use blue fronted E400MMCs

Last edited by a moderator:

Callum15632

All most likely out Lawrence Hill, 77 possibly Hengrove.

5, 77 will most likely use Geminis
15 will most likely use Streetlites
41 will most likely use citylines / east E400CBGs
46/47 will most likely use blue fronted E400MMCs
I doubt the 15 will use streetlites, it will probably use B9s as it will probably interwork with the 3/4 if it terminates at Cribbs.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Okay but you're all going to laugh at the 15 timetable. 3 round trips daily mon-sun.Great replacement for the 3 which will no longer serve avonmouth!
I work in the northern end of Avonmouth (albeit not for A*****) and that new 15 doesn't suit either my start or finish times: it is, to partly paraphrase a cartoon character from my younger days, about as much use as a sack of wet mice

Dave

Callum15632

I work in the northern end of Avonmouth (albeit not for A*****) and that new 15 doesn't suit either my start or finish times: it is, to partly paraphrase a cartoon character from my younger days, about as much use as a sack of wet mice

Dave
You have the 41 though as it goes up near there.