• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kei.8532

Just out of curiousity, are they getting rid of all the 63 plates StreetLite in Hengrove, possibly off to Worcester or Cymru like the others? If they aren't needed in Bath or Weston

Callum15632

Today is the day of the service changes (Sunday 7th April), the 77 is operated by Lawrence Hill Depot with any bus I think. Also the 5,15,41 operated by Lawrence Hill Depot aswell. Can someone tell me why 37641 from Bath is on an X1? Also 37425 is on an X1 is it on a Weston working?

Last edited:

LeylandLynx

Have the destination blinders changed for the 73 since the changes came into the effect, or have they stayed the same?

lukem

The 73 destination down Gloucester road was just "Bristol Parkway" rather than the old "Bradley Stoke".

kei.8532

Would it make sense if this is just for the sake of how the system works? Cuz it looked like they made the north bound journey terminates at Parkway Station, and the Bradley Stoke loop is grouped into south bound journey but still starting from Parkway Station. Hence why some 73 were showing the Bristol Parkway blind.
Another example I can think of is the Y2 doing the north Yate loop

LeylandLynx

Saw a "Whitchurch" blind showing at Parkway yesterday. Why would they change though ?
The terminus point has been moved to Bristol Parkway, however it continues to Bradley Stoke afterwards and does a 1 way-loop around Bradley Stoke North, and then back to Bristol Parkway before continuing to Whitchurch, if that makes sense. How would people know that the 73 still serves Bradley Stoke though if just says Bristol Parkway though?

lukem

The 73 destination down Gloucester road was just "Bristol Parkway" rather than the old "Bradley Stoke".
Just saw another one with "Bradley Stoke" so I guess it's either not had the blind updated or is drivers choice.

-Colly405-

Seen plenty northbound, south of Parkway, showing "Bradley Stoke via Parkway Station". Southbound in BStk they still show "Whitchurch via Wells Rd".

JD2168

33858/33859/33861 are on their way to Bristol. Does anyone know why?

Ex First Doncaster, we’re originally supposed to be going to Halifax. They are Euro 6 modified. 33860 is nearly finished after RTC repairs at Doncaster so will probably join them later.

kei.8532

While we're discussing blinds, I have been seeing 'This service terminates here (Service number)' on most biogas E400MMCs.
Anyone seen this blind on other buses as well, like the B9TLs?

Callum15632

While we're discussing blinds, I have been seeing 'This service terminates here (Service number)' on most biogas E400MMCs.
Anyone seen this blind on other buses as well, like the B9TLs?
I saw it on a purple citylines 3/4 B9TL on Monday about 11:45 outside KFC with the 'This service terminates here sign.

-Colly405-

Can anyone remember the new carried by the {open top?} Badgerline buses in Bath back in the 1990s? I'm thinking they were VRTs with one older vehicle?

JD2168

First Sheffield StreetDeck demonstrator 35101 (the only one with First that has a glass staircase) has entered service at Bristol.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Can anyone remember the new carried by the {open top?} Badgerline buses in Bath back in the 1990s? I'm thinking they were VRTs with one older vehicle?
The new what??

The open top Badgerline fleet in Bath in the 90s were VRs IIRC - think the Atlantean had gone by then (unless you're talking about something like the Bristol K5G). The VRs were ex Southern Vectis (new to Hants and Dorset) ones and some ex Bristol dual door ones, that were later joined by some ex South Wales and Western National ones from within Badgerline Group

-Colly405-

OK, let me try to ask that again as the crucial word was autocorrected to "new". That word should have been "names", so...

Can anyone remember the names carried by the {open top?} Badgerline buses in Bath back in the 1990s? I'm thinking they were VRTs with one older vehicle?

To help, I think the K5 may have been Sulis Minerva, but what were the VRs? One may have been Ralph Allen, possibly?
This is definitely pre-Olympians...

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
OK, let me try to ask that again as the crucial word was autocorrected to "new". That word should have been "names", so...

Can anyone remember the names carried by the {open top?} Badgerline buses in Bath back in the 1990s? I'm thinking they were VRTs with one older vehicle?

To help, I think the K5 may have been Sulis Minerva, but what were the VRs? One may have been Ralph Allen, possibly?
This is definitely pre-Olympians...
They all had local connections - Prince Bladud, Minerva, William Herschell, Sally Lunn, Dr William Oliver, John Wood, Jane Austen, IK Brunel, Beau Nash, King Edgar. Some I remembered (Bladud, Lunn, Nash) but the others are courtesy of Flickr :D

Snow1964

Established Member
Took a ride on new D1X yesterday (Saturday). 2 buses in service, one painted grey, the other blue (so couldn't even manage same livery for 2 buses)

On journey from Bradford on Avon (south) to Bath, brushed quite a few trees. Passenger numbers downstairs about 15-20 until Bathford, where quite lot got on at various stops (section shared with other routes), upstairs (excluding me) just 1-3 passengers. Slightly less busy on return (and only 2 others upstairs). Clearly the upstairs is waste of space.

The stops in Bath with route number sticker tiles didn't have D1X (so still not updated a week in), actually saw some stops with old brown and yellow Discover branding on them. So rather behind on updating stops.

The buses were both 7 year old diesel Enviro400s, rattled lots to point of being irritating and felt like it was shaking itself apart. Ride quality on top deck was rough, swaying around and crashing over the speed cushions in Bathford. Also seemed underpowered as couldn't seem to maintain 50mph on the hills on A363 near Farleigh Wick, and were some jerky gear changes.

Summary, tried it, won't bother again, will go back to using the car and paying to park in Bath. Quality is too low, and ride too rough and choppy, to encourage bus use. In my opinion wrong type of vehicle with suspension not suitable for uneven rural 50mph A roads.

Took a ride on new D1X yesterday (Saturday). 2 buses in service, one painted grey, the other blue (so couldn't even manage same livery for 2 buses)

On journey from Bradford on Avon (south) to Bath, brushed quite a few trees. Passenger numbers downstairs about 15-20 until Bathford, where quite lot got on at various stops (section shared with other routes), upstairs (excluding me) just 1-3 passengers. Slightly less busy on return (and only 2 others upstairs). Clearly the upstairs is waste of space.

The stops in Bath with route number sticker tiles didn't have D1X (so still not updated a week in), actually saw some stops with old brown and yellow Discover branding on them. So rather behind on updating stops.

The buses were both 7 year old diesel Enviro400s, rattled lots to point of being irritating and felt like it was shaking itself apart. Ride quality on top deck was rough, swaying around and crashing over the speed cushions in Bathford. Also seemed underpowered as couldn't seem to maintain 50mph on the hills on A363 near Farleigh Wick, and were some jerky gear changes.

Summary, tried it, won't bother again, will go back to using the car and paying to park in Bath. Quality is too low, and ride too rough and choppy, to encourage bus use. In my opinion wrong type of vehicle with suspension not suitable for uneven rural 50mph A roads.

For the first day of service it also featured the ex-Portbury P&R livery so it will be a case of whatever decker is available, I wouldn't expect any route branding just for this route - The Discover brand is limping around in oblivion as far as I can tell. Compare it with the D1 itself and that is a mixture of the Enviro's in the 2 ex Cymru colours, Olympia and the odd B7RLE (in actual Discover livery if your lucky!)

Again, for bus stop flags, I think the route is being soft launched, as in retrospect it is only an hourly service, so it's not going to be a heavy frequency along the London Road, and ignoring the Sally In The Wood stretch it just dovetails in to the D1 at Bradford. In fact I guess the main feature of the route is to provide Q-Busting especially in peak, taking the load away from the single deckers through Winsley, and also maybe taking up a bit of slack along the London Road in Bath. On Rugby Saturdays again I would expect the loadings increase bringing fans in/out from BOA and Trowbridge. additionally bus stop flags aren't very loved with TLC within Wiltshire!

As in Quality, again I don't think its ever going to be a showcase route, but toss that up between paying £10+ for rail, I think people will, as they have always in this part of the country, like it and lump it.

Callum15632

For the first day of service it also featured the ex-Portbury P&R livery so it will be a case of whatever decker is available, I wouldn't expect any route branding just for this route - The Discover brand is limping around in oblivion as far as I can tell. Compare it with the D1 itself and that is a mixture of the Enviro's in the 2 ex Cymru colours, Olympia and the odd B7RLE (in actual Discover livery if your lucky!)

Again, for bus stop flags, I think the route is being soft launched, as in retrospect it is only an hourly service, so it's not going to be a heavy frequency along the London Road, and ignoring the Sally In The Wood stretch it just dovetails in to the D1 at Bradford. In fact I guess the main feature of the route is to provide Q-Busting especially in peak, taking the load away from the single deckers through Winsley, and also maybe taking up a bit of slack along the London Road in Bath. On Rugby Saturdays again I would expect the loadings increase bringing fans in/out from BOA and Trowbridge. additionally bus stop flags aren't very loved with TLC within Wiltshire!

As in Quality, again I don't think its ever going to be a showcase route, but toss that up between paying £10+ for rail, I think people will, as they have always in this part of the country, like it and lump it.
The D1 doesn't use B7RLEs in actual discover livery anymore as they have gone to Manchester for the Bee Network. Talk about B7RLEs in discover livery, there is 2 discover liveried B7RLEs about around Bristol for training so not in actual public passenger service.

-Colly405-

They all had local connections - Prince Bladud, Minerva, William Herschell, Sally Lunn, Dr William Oliver, John Wood, Jane Austen, IK Brunel, Beau Nash, King Edgar. Some I remembered (Bladud, Lunn, Nash) but the others are courtesy of Flickr :D
Excellent -thanks!

Unrelated post...
Is "Citylines" on the way out? It felt that there were more Urban liveried vehicles coming through the Centre today than anything Citylines!
With the electric buses due next year too...