• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West Yorkshire & York discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Seehof

Thanks. Well I am amazed - First York must have an increasing number of spare buses! Or they need to keep a large number of spare buses as some of the existing fleet are not in the best condition.

Thanks. Well I am amazed - First York must have an increasing number of spare buses! Or they need to keep a large number of spare buses as some of the existing fleet are not in the best condition.
Alternatively - there never were any spares and there finally are…

mic

And 69376-79 have left York too. Some are saying they went to Manchester, I'd be surprised if that was true
Maybe they're to become trainers as they're too old for Manchester services (PSV).

Last edited by a moderator:

cnjb8

Established Member
Maybe they're to become trainers as they're too old for Manchester services (PSV).
I can see that, apparently they've also been joined at Bolton by four ex-Leicester B7RLEs of a similar age

Whiteway215

Established Member
According to this, it says Bolton. I'm a bit confused too, although First do run Vantage from Arriva's depot in Bolton.
Period 8 First fleet update states 69249-52 transferred from Leicester ‘in service’ status to ‘training’ at ‘Manchester’.
Also 69376-79 transferred from York ‘in service’ status to ‘training‘ at ‘Manchester’.
But that doesn’t specify Oldham or Bolton.

Leyland Bus

Period 8 First fleet update states 69249-52 transferred from Leicester ‘in service’ status to ‘training’ at ‘Manchester’.
Also 69376-79 transferred from York ‘in service’ status to ‘training‘ at ‘Manchester’.
But that doesn’t specify Oldham or Bolton.
It'll be Oldham, I can't see 8 B7 trainers parked in Arrivas depot that only houses Firsts Vantage ops...

It'll be Oldham, I can't see 8 B7 trainers parked in Arrivas depot that only houses Firsts Vantage ops...
Pure speculation but there is an announcement this week on the winners of the Bolton and Wigan franchises? Maybe all these trainers are in connection with this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seehof

Well at least we have some new double deckers which are appearing on all routes except 10 & 2.

JD2168

And 69376-79 have left York too. Some are saying they went to Manchester, I'd be surprised if that was true
These buses have started appearing at Olive Grove with First South Yorkshire as driver trainers.

B7RLE 69333 has now moved to First South Yorkshire as another Driver Training Vehicle.

Last edited:

noddingdonkey

There are rumours on a local Facebook page that the 184 Oldham-Huddersfield is transferring to Huddersfield depot and will operate as an extension of the 183. Anyone have any details? I'm hoping this might be a long overdue total recast of the 18x services timetable

Deerfold

Veteran Member
There are rumours on a local Facebook page that the 184 Oldham-Huddersfield is transferring to Huddersfield depot and will operate as an extension of the 183. Anyone have any details? I'm hoping this might be a long overdue total recast of the 18x services timetable
It could go back to being the 35x services.

New drivers are still being trained up on the bendys in York. Heard that they’re expected to hold on a little longer still

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
From what I gather, the 183 is to be withdrawn with the 184 being operated out of Field House Lane running via the same route as the current 184 and the 181 and 185 being retained as is. I wonder what made First decide to withdraw the 183, other than the long row of parked cars up Old Mount Road / Pule Hill / old packhorse route?

I'd be suprised to see the 185 ever getting rerouted via the old packhorse route considering the road narrows before the blind bend at the A62 end of Old Mount Road, before turning right onto the A62 to Marsden Parish Church, then left to where the health centre is before rejoining the current 185 to Dirker. If it does then maybe a new timing point named Pule Hill, Old Mount Road could be introduced.

It could go back to being the 35x services.
Wouldn't this clash with South Pennine's numbering as they already use the 35x numbering on services out of Holmfirth?

If it did revert back to the 3xx numbering then I'd opt for the 390, 391 and 392 numbers as this could mean:
- 181 could become 390 to Wilberlee
- 184 could become 391 to Oldham
- 185 could become 392 to Marsden

The one other thing to consider is what will happen to the Nexus Move journeys, will these be canned or simply taken on by FWY?

M60lad

If I remember rightly before 184 was extended to Huddersfield it was 365 that ran Manchester-Huddersfield

As for the Nexus Move journeys on 184 I think these are tendered journeys by TfGM so I would think they would stay the same, I think the main reason why this particular journey turns round at Marsden is because since the old turning circle was took out of use in Diggle this is the only place where the bus can turn round.

noddingdonkey

All very interesting, thanks. So is this both a significant reduction in buses per hour between Marsden and Huddersfield and certain areas losing their service completely or will there be additional services on 184/5/6 to compensate for withdrawn 183s? I assume there will need to be extra 186s for Marsden to Colne Valley School?

The Cowlersley section is notorious for moronic parking too but I can imagine this won't be popular up there either.

mic

I hope when they take over 184 service that newer Gemini mark 2 buses are used on the route.