• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Five don't go on a Great Western adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Contributors to our local town website are not very impressed at the number of cancellations on the Cotswold Line right now (six services cancelled so far today alone), and have taken to Photoshopping GWR's current advertising campaign...

five_get_stranded.jpg

(Spoof of GWR advertising image, with caption "Five get stranded by signal failure in the Didcot area")

5timmy.jpg

(Spoof of GWR advertising image, with caption "Timmy says it's quicker by boat")

5bus.jpg

(Spoof of GWR advertising image, with caption "Five wish they'd taken the bus")

Famous_Five.jpg

(Spoof of GWR advertising image, with caption "Five patiently wait for a trained driver")

Famous_Five2.jpg

(Spoof of GWR advertising image, with captions "Five stranded at the beach" and "It's already Thursday... planned your bus replacement service?")

Famous_Five3.jpg

(Spoof of GWR advertising image, with caption "Five give up on a Great Western adventure and get a taxi")

gwr_late_again_preview.jpg

(Spoof of GWR advertising image, with caption "Five are late for work again")

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cambsy

On Moderation
Think it brilliant too, imaginative way to get across frustrations with service, though as co-tr-Paul said, some of the blame is at Network Rail’s door.

dorsetdesiro

Funny the Famous Five are promoting GWR as most of the stories are based in Dorset which is in SWR territory. I suppose that fits in quite well with GWR's cosy traditional image than the monochrome SWR and GWR of course run services to Weymouth.

Master29

Established Member
Funny the Famous Five are promoting GWR as most of the stories are based in Dorset which is in SWR territory. I suppose that fits in quite well with GWR's cosy traditional image than the monochrome SWR and GWR of course run services to Weymouth.

I think that quite literally sums First group up. Not only not running but don`t know where they`re going.

HowardGWR

Established Member
It's funny how no one ever does such things after being stranded by the airlines or Highways England or County Councils. They also do adverts about how wonderful they are.

Starmill

Veteran Member
But aren't some of the posters network rails fault.....??
Are any of the actual issues Network Rail's fault?

The past 4 Cotswold line journeys I have made have all been affected by low train crew availability.

At GWR there are currently 17 services cancelled throughout and 3 part cancelled due to a train crew shortage.

Some of the trains cancelled throughout e.g. 1818 London Paddington to Hereford are pretty significant cancellations.

Clip

Established Member
It's funny how no one ever does such things after being stranded by the airlines or Highways England or County Councils. They also do adverts about how wonderful they are.

I dont frequent airline forums nor ones tht may like roads or councils but im guessing in the case of airlines so few people use them to commute that its probably never crossed their mind and overall dont roads and councils work well with what they are tasked to do?

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Sure it may be a bit childish, but GWR really need to sort themselves out at the moment. The service over the last 6 months or so, especially on Sundays, has simply been appalling. They do not have enough staff and so many Sunday services are just being cancelled, with no alternatives provided. Hell, today the last two Swansea - Paddington trains are being cancelled, and GWR are saying on Twitter that buses will not be provided, taxis will not be provided and hotel costs will only be "considered". And that is before you look at the situation with short formation of a huge number of services on a regular basis (how long must it go on before "more trains in for repair than usual" actually becomes the new usual?). They may want to consider sorting this mess out before trying to do some advertising!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Contributors to our local town website are not very impressed at the number of cancellations on the Cotswold Line right now (six services cancelled so far today alone), and have taken to Photoshopping GWR's current advertising campaign...

five_get_stranded.jpg

5timmy.jpg

5bus.jpg

Famous_Five.jpg

Famous_Five2.jpg

Famous_Five3.jpg

gwr_late_again_preview.jpg

They're very well done. Certainly put a wry smile on my face. :D

nottsnurse

new-united-airlines-logo-slogan-funny.jpg

(For the visually impaired)

The above image contains a satirical comment relating to the assualt of a passenger by airport security in the US on a United Airlines flight. In particular it parodies the promotional material of United Airlines, by using a paraphrasing a line of dialogue from the 1988 film 'They Live', featuring Roddy Piper. Unfortunately I'm not sure the satirical comment can be repeated in text on this forum due to the incredibly mild 'language' possibly not being permitted by the forum's filters, but I shall try to replicate it.

"We came here to sell seats and kick ass...but we're all out of seats."

This nicely apes the phrase from 'They Live' which is "I came here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum".

This image was included to counter a previous forum members assertion that airlines etc don't receive this form of visual criticism, as directed at railway companies

Last edited:

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
GWR are saying on Twitter that buses will not be provided
Pretty damn sure they have to under NRCoT Condition 28.2, if buses or coaches could theoretically be sourced. I’d quote the text but the muppets who wrote the Conditions have uploaded it as a series of images :rolleyes:

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Pretty damn sure they have to under NRCoT Condition 28.2, if buses or coaches could theoretically be sourced. I’d quote the text but the muppets who wrote the Conditions have uploaded it as a series of images :rolleyes:
I have a pdf of the previous version (which isn't any different in this particular respect) if you like :)

Status
Not open for further replies.