• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flood Damage Near Polmont - 12/08/2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Two alternative Glasgow - Edinburgh routes still possible if the Bathgate and Carstairs/Midcalder routes also fall over.

Via Perth and via Hexham. ;)

Mathieu

Surely they could run Shotts services non stop via Carstairs for all the Glasgow-Edinburgh passengers. Surely it’s busy enough with all the Queen St. traffic also coming through that way

route101

Established Member
Surely they could run Shotts services non stop via Carstairs for all the Glasgow-Edinburgh passengers. Surely it’s busy enough with all the Queen St. traffic also coming through that way

Is there paths for that?

They are directing passengers onto the low level route.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Is there paths for that?

They are directing passengers onto the low level route.

The 20:26 from Edinburgh seems to be doing that tonight. According to Scotrail it isn't calling at Livingston South, West Calder, Addiewell, Briech, Fauldhouse, Shotts, Hartwood, Cleland and Carfin.

Crossover

Established Member
The 20:26 from Edinburgh seems to be doing that tonight. According to Scotrail it isn't calling at Livingston South, West Calder, Addiewell, Briech, Fauldhouse, Shotts, Hartwood, Cleland and Carfin.

It appears it did run and avoided the line via Shotts (and kept to time, too)

InOban

Established Member
None that I have seen. I'm surprised that there haven't been any update pictures.

sng7

There has been a video update by network rail scotland on twitter showing the repairs in progress. It can be seen here.

We are working round-the-clock to repair around a kilometre of track near Polmont washed away in flooding on August 12. We're making good progress - thousands of tonnes of material have already been replaced as we rebuild the railway as quickly as possible for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

InOban

Established Member
We've been working tirelessly to repair damage on Scotland's flagship route after the Union Canal breach caused severe damage. Cabinet Secretary @MathesonMichael & @ScotRail MD @AlexHynes visited us on site to view progress of the work being undertaken to safely reopen the line.

Update on progress, but no date. Since the OHLE was washed away to its foundations, I would guess that reinstalling that will be quite a job.

Last edited by a moderator:

Philip Phlopp

Established Member

Update on progress, but no date. Since the OHLE was washed away to its foundations, I would guess that reinstalling that will be quite a job.

Nah, couple of days work at most - if the line was still open, that level of OLE damage would just about be fixable under a normal rules of the route possession, particularly as the de-wiring is already sorted out and all the spares needed will be on-site ready to fit.

InOban

Established Member
Did you look at the original pics? With the uprights lying at crazy angles because the ground was washed away right down to the piles? Surely they will need to drive much deeper piles before they can attach the steelwork. Seems like more than couple if shifts.

pdeaves

Established Member
Did you look at the original pics? With the uprights lying at crazy angles because the ground was washed away right down to the piles? Surely they will need to drive much deeper piles before they can attach the steelwork. Seems like more than couple if shifts.
And build up the ground into which the piles are driven, that will initially be soft.

Class 170101

Established Member
I'm sure some of the esteemed piling experts in the thread above will be able to confirm.

You mean pile and then backfill with concrete slurry? a la Preston to Manchester elec scheme in certain places.

Perhaps yes but is there actually anything to pile into? Seems like some of the land is missing too, previously, briefly, some days ago looking at shots, so my memory may have failed me.

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
Perhaps yes but is there actually anything to pile into?

No. There's nothing to pile into. I've got a team working on supporting masts with hot air balloons. I don't know how the permanent way team are intending to float the track in mid air.

najaB

Veteran Member
Perhaps yes but is there actually anything to pile into?
They are rebuilding the formation using thousands (?) of tons of what looks to me like granite. It will provide a very firm base for both the permanent way and the knitting poles.
You mean pile and then backfill with concrete slurry? a la Preston to Manchester electrification scheme in certain places.
That might be needed in places depending on how well compacted the fill is.

mcmad

The formations repairs as shown in the video are completed now so it'll be the time to reinstate the track over the kilometre that needs replaced on both line, reinstate the OLE and signalling.

Would expect a couple of weeks yet.

InOban

Established Member
It occurred to me that since the major damage to the formation was caused by the torrent leaving it on its way downhill, it might be easier to install TTCs reaching over from the less-affected South side?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
It occurred to me that since the major damage to the formation was caused by the torrent leaving it on its way downhill, it might be easier to install TTCs reaching over from the less-affected South side?
TTC... Trying To Conceive what that stands for. ;)

Twin Track Cantilever?

Status
Not open for further replies.