• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bobdogs

On Moderation
I used to enjoy football, but not since var.
It is obvious to me that football commentators and pundits have been told to support this ruination by the powers that be. It would not surprise me if it was a condition of the broadcasting contract that employees of those companies were mandated to state how wonderful the abomination was.
No more football for me.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Notts County promoted to the Football League. Good.
Much as the play off system in the National League (and elsewhere, of course) helps to maintain supporter interest until the very end of the campaign, it would have seemed decidedly unfair had Chesterfield prevailed in the penalty shoot out, having finished some 23 points behind County at the end of the regular league season.

Magdalia

Established Member
Notts County promoted to the Football League. Good.

I was there today and it was outstanding entertainment. 38,000 fans for non league football is excellent.
Nowhere near the attendance record for a National League play off final, which is 47029 for Bristol Rovers and Grimsby Town in 2015.

Oxford United v York City in 2010 and Exeter City v Cambridge United in 2008 are at 42669 and 42511 so it isn't even in the top three.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
It is obvious to me that football commentators and pundits have been told to support this ruination by the powers that be. It would not surprise me if it was a condition of the broadcasting contract that employees of those companies were mandated to state how wonderful the abomination was.
No more football for me.
watch football that doesn't have VAR then! Loads of levels without. Come and give it a go. There is more to footballing life than the PL and Euro super duper leagues.

watch football that doesn't have VAR then! Loads of levels without. Come and give it a go. There is more to footballing life than the PL and Euro super duper leagues.
I love Exeter City home games. Getting my first season ticket for next year!

Jimini

Established Member
Some of us don't have that luxury, in a manner of speaking. I've been a Fulham fan since my old man took me to my first game in 1985, aged five. We've seen all four divisions in all their glory and pain in subsequent years! I despise VAR and all that nonsense, but can't complain about where my little team has ended up after all these years. As much fun as playing Carlisle was, back in the day. We're a lucky bunch to have been bankrolled by Al Fayed and latterly Khan, but some of those dark '90s memories will haunt me forever!

JD2168

So that is the end of the title race for me, interest now moves to the race for the rest of the Champions League place & the relegation scrap at the bottom.

deltic

Established Member
No more football for me.
VAR is fantastic - long may it continue

REVUpminster

Var is very good for offside and over the goal line but for judgements of intent, such as a penalty, handball, or a foul then it still comes down to human judgement.

Drogba11CFC

Chelsea have won the Women's FA Cup for the third time in a row with a 1-0 win over Manchester United. 77,390 were in attendance.

dangie

Established Member
VAR is fantastic - long may it continue
I suppose it's good for giving the paying supporter value for money. A 90 minute game now lasts an extra 10 minutes :D

Arsenal 0 ... Brighton and Hove Albion 3
I had some sympathy for Arsenal, that was until I read that after Brighton's 2nd goal the Arsenal fans were leaving in droves. So much for team support.

Jimini

Established Member
Var is very good for offside and over the goal line but for judgements of intent, such as a penalty, handball, or a foul then it still comes down to human judgement.

Agreed -- it's still subjective. And regularly incorrect.

48m30s on last night's MotD shows Southampton's handball in the box against Fulham. Can't imagine that not being given if they were playing a top six team...

Nah get them to ask Snapchat AI. They don't have the budget for ChatGPT :lol:

Purple Train

Established Member
Which may well be flawed what with access to slow motion and whatnot.
The thing that really annoys me is offsides by coats of paint - surely there should be some discretion, because you're not going to gain much advantage by having, say, size 9 1/2 feet over size 9!

SteveM70

Established Member
Which may well be flawed what with access to slow motion and whatnot.
The thing that really annoys me is offsides by coats of paint - surely there should be some discretion, because you're not going to gain much advantage by having, say, size 9 1/2 feet over size 9!

That doesn't make any difference. Wherever there is a line decision, sooner or later someone will be just the wrong side of it

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Interesting that the National League are demanding three promotion places (two automatic, one play off) to League 2 when NL North & NL South only have two spots each (one automatic, one play off) to NL-National.

Kidderminster won the NL-N play-offs despite finishing 24 pts behind 2nd placed Kings Lynn and only 20 pts clear of the relegation zone.

The non-league pyramid structure is all wrong - it's like quicksand - far easier to go down than to go up. Bradford have just gone down to the NPL - a league where 4 of the 22 clubs get relegated each year.

SteveM70

Established Member
Interesting that the National League are demanding three promotion places (two automatic, one play off) to League 2 when NL North & NL South only have two spots each (one automatic, one play off) to NL-National

The non-league pyramid structure is all wrong - it's like quicksand - far easier to go down than to go up

Your first statement implies NLN and NLS should have three spots each, but that of course would mean six teams going down from the NL, which isn't ever going to be accepted and matches your second statement.

In reality, given the NL is pretty much all full time professional now and that the promoted teams generally fare well in League 2 (I know Hartlepool are an exception), it should be 4 up and 4 down between League 2 and the NL.

Also, it should be 4 up and 4 down between the Championship and League 1. Its historically been 3 each way because for decades the second tier had 22 clubs , and 4 down was felt to be too many. Since the Premier League moved to 20 clubs two decades ago, the Championship became 24 so promotion and relegation between the Championship and League 1 should match what's in place between Leagues 1 and 2

dangie

Established Member
The problem with professional football is that many years ago it ceased to be a sport. Nowadays it’s business. Premier League football should be reported in the Business page of newspapers, not the Sports page.

E27007

At the relegation zone, a few sleepless nights ahead for Nottingham Forest and Everton supporters, on the outside chance, Leeds and Leicester find divine inspiration playing West Ham

Ted633

West Ham who are possibly going for I have their most bds elsewhere as well (conference league final possibility).
Last night's result also means West Ham are safe (barring a ridiculous goal swing from Leeds)

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Last night's result also means West Ham are safe (barring a ridiculous goal swing from Leeds)

it’s not that ridiculous. The swing required is 11 goals. For goal difference to come into play, Leeds have to win both their games, and West Ham need to lose both theirs. If all four results have a three goal difference, that’s enough. or, say, West Ham lose one game 5-0, and the other 2-0, Leeds just need to win both theirs by 2 goals.

It’s rather unlikely, but definitely in the realms of possible.

SteveM70

Established Member
it’s not that ridiculous. The swing required is 11 goals. For goal difference to come into play, Leeds have to win both their games, and West Ham need to lose both theirs. If all four results have a three goal difference, that’s enough. or, say, West Ham lose one game 5-0, and the other 2-0, Leeds just need to win both theirs by 2 goals.

It’s rather unlikely, but definitely in the realms of possible.

Also bear in mind:

1 - they play each other, so if Leeds can (hmmmmmm) win 3-0 that's more than half the gap spanned

2 - if West Ham qualify for their European third-level final on Thursday, they may field a weakened team

But yes, highly unlikely