• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

E27007

it’s not that ridiculous. The swing required is 11 goals. For goal difference to come into play, Leeds have to win both their games, and West Ham need to lose both theirs. If all four results have a three goal difference, that’s enough. or, say, West Ham lose one game 5-0, and the other 2-0, Leeds just need to win both theirs by 2 goals.

It’s rather unlikely, but definitely in the realms of possible.
It is Nottingham Forest and Everton who see the shadow of the relegation zone occupied by Leeds and Leicester, West Ham are 99% safe due to league points and goal difference, but Leeds and Leicester are both to meet West Ham in the final two games of the run-out of the season. The cushion of league points to the relegation zone for Everton is very slim, a single point and near parity in goal difference to Leeds, the Achilles Heel of Nottingham Forest is a their extreme goal difference

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ted633

it’s not that ridiculous. The swing required is 11 goals. For goal difference to come into play, Leeds have to win both their games, and West Ham need to lose both theirs. If all four results have a three goal difference, that’s enough. or, say, West Ham lose one game 5-0, and the other 2-0, Leeds just need to win both theirs by 2 goals.

It’s rather unlikely, but definitely in the realms of possible.
If West Ham were playing the likes of Man City and Liverpool, I'd agree with you. However, they are playing Leeds and Leicester, and although it wouldn't be unexpected for those games to end in defeat for the Hammers, I really can't see any thrashings coming

Moving away from the relegation zone, we have a very interesting game coming up on Thursday. Brighton and Hove Albion vs Newcastle United

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Luton are now one game - and one demolished/revamped stand - away from the Premier League.

Never a surer bet they'll lose the playoff final. They aren't a lucky club.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Moving away from the relegation zone, we have a very interesting game coming up on Thursday. Brighton and Hove Albion vs Newcastle United
With Brighton just beating Arsenal, and Arsenal recently beating Newcastle, it has to be a 0-5 to Brighton surely? :Do_O

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Luton are now one game - and one demolished/revamped stand - away from the Premier League.

Never a surer bet they'll lose the playoff final. They aren't a lucky club.

Although Luton are currently favourites for promotion.

(Albeit unlikely to be in 8 hours time)

such a shame for Sunderland.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Although Luton are currently favourites for promotion.

(Albeit unlikely to be in 8 hours time)

such a shame for Sunderland.
I'd quite like to see if Pep can do it on a wet Tuesday night at Kenilworth Road!

Are the EFL going to use VAR at the play-off final this time around, I wonder? For all the good it did last year...

75A

Established Member
Would anybody want to go to Kenilworth Road?

It's one of the worst grounds in all 4 divisions, in fact most National League venues are better.

With any luck Coventry or Middlesbrough will win at Wembley, at least they've got decent grounds.

Harvester

Established Member

It's one of the worst grounds in all 4 divisions, in fact most National League venues are better.

With any luck Coventry or Middlesbrough will win at Wembley, at least they've got decent grounds.
If the club is promoted will Kenilworth Road meet Premier league standards, or will they have to ground-share home fixtures elsewhere?

Darandio

Established Member
If the club is promoted will Kenilworth Road meet Premier league standards, or will they have to ground-share home fixtures elsewhere?

They have to spend £10m on it this summer if the get promoted apparently.

Personally I reckon Kenilworth Road in the Premier League will be a fantastic novelty even if it is only for a year.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Does anyone know what the situation with Champions League places would be if City get to the final and win the thing this year?

Does the fifth placed team sneak into the CL?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Does anyone know what the situation with Champions League places would be if City get to the final and win the thing this year?

Does the fifth placed team sneak into the CL?
Don't think so.

If an English club wins the UEFA Champions League AND finish in the top four of the Premier League, their qualification for the Champions League through their league position is NOT transferred to another team.

Happy to be corrected on this but that's my understanding.

D821

Don't think so.

If an English club wins the UEFA Champions League AND finish in the top four of the Premier League, their qualification for the Champions League through their league position is NOT transferred to another team.

I was told today (not sure how true it is) that this is the case this season but will be changing next season.

Last edited:

Harvester

Established Member
Don't think so.

Yes this is correct. To have five teams in the Champions League a team outside the top four in the Premier League would need to win the Champions League the previous season, and so qualify as winners.

JD2168

Ivan Toney has been given an 8 month ban from Football & friend £50,000 after being charged with 232 Betting breaches.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes this is correct. To have five teams in the Champions League a team outside the top four in the Premier League would need to win the Champions League the previous season, and so qualify as winners.

Right that makes sense. Thanks everyone. :)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Ivan Toney has been given an 8 month ban from Football & friend £50,000 after being charged with 232 Betting breaches.
That many breaches suggest he may have a problem, so I hope he gets the help he needs. He's a very talented footballer and he's in danger of throwing it all away.

That being said, I'm against the blanket ban on sports betting for footballers. Them sticking £50 on a horse in the Grand National isn't going to compromise the integrity of the games they're involved in. Even betting on football should be permitted, as long as they haven't backed against their own team or on events they themselves can instigate (things like the timing of the first throw-in for example).

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
That being said, I'm against the blanket ban on sports betting for footballers. Them sticking £50 on a horse in the Grand National isn't going to compromise the integrity of the games they're involved in. Even betting on football should be permitted, as long as they haven't backed against their own team or on events they themselves can instigate (things like the timing of the first throw-in for example).
Is there a blanket ban on other sports betting for footballers?

Thought it was just not being permitted to bet on any aspect of any football worldwide (or to ask or instruct someone else to do so, or to pass on inside information, or similar).

Betting on the horses by footballers isn't banned, is it?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

It's got a certain "old school" charm about it. It's well overdue for replacement but we should appreciate it while we still have it.

Not sure where "having a decent ground" figures in the end of season calculations... presumably after goals scored and head-to-head, but just ahead of whether or not Jupiter was rising in Sagittarius on the third Sunday in February.
Yes they are
VAR should be in use in all games, or none of them... but if it is going to be used, perhaps they'll do a bit better in choosing the Video Officials than they did last year.

Darandio

Established Member

Considering the amount of times teams have gone on race days over the years it would be a pretty boring day out if they were! They are allowed to bet on other sport they can't influence.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Is there a blanket ban on other sports betting for footballers?

Thought it was just not being permitted to bet on any aspect of any football worldwide (or to ask or instruct someone else to do so, or to pass on inside information, or similar).

My understanding was that any sports betting is at least frowned upon by the authorities, if not banned outright. If it's just football betting that makes slightly more sense, though it's a bit hypocritical considering how many betting companies have sponsorship deals with clubs.
My personal feeling is that nobody is adversely affected by a footballer putting a bet on his own team to win, or on a game in the Faeroese second tier:- therefore it shouldn't be banned.

Darandio

Established Member
My understanding was that any sports betting is at least frowned upon by the authorities, if not banned outright. If it's just football betting that makes slightly more sense, though it's a bit hypocritical considering how many betting companies have sponsorship deals with clubs.
My personal feeling is that nobody is adversely affected by a footballer putting a bet on his own team to win, or on a game in the Faeroese second tier:- therefore it shouldn't be banned.

Other sports are allowed but the PFA guidelines are to try and refrain from it altogether as they believe it could lead to a gambling issue longer term. Given the obscene amount of disposable income involved they might have some sort of point.

dangie

Established Member
That many breaches suggest he may have a problem, so I hope he gets the help he needs. He's a very talented footballer and he's in danger of throwing it all away.
This may not be correct but I was told this many years ago by a Nottingham Forest supporter.

When Nottingham Forest manager Brian Clough signed defender Kenny Burns from Birmingham City they supposedly paid off his gambling debts, recuperated the money out of his wages and gave him 'pocket money'. Kenny Burns was considered a loose cannon but he turned out to be a wonderful player.

My understanding was that any sports betting is at least frowned upon by the authorities, if not banned outright...
If I remember correctly didn't cricketers Dennis Lillie & Rodney Marsh bet on an England win at 500/1 during the Headingley 'Botham Test'. They were alleged to have won over £7000.

Last edited:

SteveM70

Established Member
Given the obscene amount of disposable income involved they might have some sort of point.

And an awful lot of spare time

Meanwhile, Manchester City have made Real Madrid look like a pub team for 45 minutes, and then a Championship team for the second half. Absolutely blew them away

Harvester

Established Member
And another result - Middlesbrough 0 Coventry 1

So it’s either Luton or Coventry in the Premier League next season.