• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Quite correct. It says a lot when the relegation battle at the bottom is far more interesting than the battle at the top.
Ah but even there remember Everton have the magic golden key and can’t get relegated! They always manage to get themselves out of it. The three down in the relegation zone right now are the ones going down.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Fans of lower league clubs have a chip on their shoulder about the Premier League, how cliched.
I can’t get tickets to see my “first” team in the PL and frankly find the whole league rather dull; I’ll admit even when my lot won it during COVID. That’s why I’ve preferred following the lower leagues increasingly over the last 10 years.

I’ve stopped caring very much whether Liverpool win or lose and that is because the club and competition don’t really offer me anything as a fan. I’m bored of all the debate about owners and money. I don’t care about LeBron James and I don’t care about all the stupid peripheral nonsense the whole machine tries to make one care about.

I’ve turned off. Much rather spend my Sunday watching non league finals, because, for a start I can actually get a ticket.

Ivor

Originally Balham & now The West Sussex Coastway
I can’t get tickets to see my “first” team in the PL and frankly find the whole league rather dull; I’ll admit even when my lot won it during COVID. That’s why I’ve preferred following the lower leagues increasingly over the last 10 years.

I’ve stopped caring very much whether Liverpool win or lose and that is because the club and competition don’t really offer me anything as a fan. I’m bored of all the debate about owners and money. I don’t care about LeBron James and I don’t care about all the stupid peripheral nonsense the whole machine tries to make one care about.

I’ve turned off. Much rather spend my Sunday watching non league finals, because, for a start I can actually get a ticket.
Totally agree with your points, been going to Chelsea for about 58-59 years & held a season ticket for 35 plus until this season following a decline in the league in general which it has been for some years, new rules for the sake of new rules (let ball dangle over corner quadrant to annoy fans, let throw ins & free kicks be taken 10 yards from where they should, let goalies fall to the ground for a minute when they catch a ball, VAR, let’s constantly coach on the sidelines by calling players over & have numerous breaks for drinks etc etc etc)

The worst part that has crept in again is the ASB in the stands making my decision to call it a day.

Trouble is now I struggle to get a ticket, only occasionally on ticket exchange, have enjoyed cherry picking games on tv though.

Yes the ‘owners & money’ thing also non stop taking away from the actual football but todays game is all about the mighty dollar.

Oh well I can watch this afternoon my lot give MC a guard of honour then watch us concede at least 4 if not 6, oh for those days of Tambling, McCreadie, Ossie, Cooke, Chopper, Webb, Bonetti et al

As it goes in a Gladys Knight song…..”was it all so simple then?”

:'(

dangie

Established Member
From the BBC website:
Leeds manager Sam Allardyce to BBC Match of the Day: “.....There’s two areas you have to be really good at – defending and the quality in the final third."

So basically Sam is saying to be successful at football you have to be good at defending & attacking. Who'd have thought it... :lol:

Iskra

Established Member
Fans of lower league clubs have a chip on their shoulder about the Premier League, how cliched.
It’s frankly awful on just about every metric for the fans that actually bother going to games and don’t just dream up a reason to support one of the successful teams.

I’m looking forward to the Championship next season. 3 extra games, a £50 refund on my season ticket, a chance of actually getting tickets to away games again and the glory/corporate supporters will evaporate. Real football, none of this gentrified tedium where you make up the numbers.

SteveM70

Established Member
FC Halifax Town 1-0 Gateshead

A rubbish match but we’ve won the FA Trophy and are now P2 W2 at Wembley

And we did it the hard way, drawn away in every round, winning three ties on penalties.

I know it’s “only non-league football” but I love it

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

And we did it the hard way, drawn away in every round, winning three ties on penalties.

And a great goal as well (!!)

The game was marginally better than the Vase final, also 1-0, to Ascot Utd.

Halifax just about shaded it on the day, I think.

It’s frankly awful on just about every metric for the fans that actually bother going to games and don’t just dream up a reason to support one of the successful teams.

I’m looking forward to the Championship next season. 3 extra games, a £50 refund on my season ticket, a chance of actually getting tickets to away games again and the glory/corporate supporters will evaporate. Real football, none of this gentrified tedium where you make up the numbers.
You’re lucky to even get a season ticket. Liverpool have 30K people on the waiting list, just waiting for other season ticket holders to die. Insane.

SteveM70

Established Member
And a great goal as well (!!)

The game was marginally better than the Vase final, also 1-0, to Ascot Utd.

Halifax just about shaded it on the day, I think.

Exactly. A 1 in 1000 goal but if you don’t buy a ticket you don’t win the lottery etc etc

You’re lucky to even get a season ticket. Liverpool have 30K people on the waiting list, just waiting for other season ticket holders to die. Insane.

When Manchester United were at their peak in the late 90s / early 00s there were over a thousand dead season ticket holders

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

Finals can often be underwhelming, as nobody wants to be the one who makes a crucial mistake. This is even more noticeable in play-offs because of what's at stake, as was seen in last year's Championship final where neither team did enough to justify a place in the Premier League and it took a shambolic own-goal (and some rather dubious calls by the officials) to separate the two sides.

SJL2020

Totally agree with your points, been going to Chelsea for about 58-59 years & held a season ticket for 35 plus until this season following a decline in the league in general which it has been for some years, new rules for the sake of new rules (let ball dangle over corner quadrant to annoy fans, let throw ins & free kicks be taken 10 yards from where they should, let goalies fall to the ground for a minute when they catch a ball, VAR, let’s constantly coach on the sidelines by calling players over & have numerous breaks for drinks etc etc etc)
Personally, I thought that the PL was much more dull and predictable between the 2005/6 to the 2008/9 seasons when the 'Sky Four' teams filled out the top 4 final placings four seasons in a row (and 5 seasons out of 6 if we extend further back a couple of years).

I don't have a problem with the principle of VAR, but they need to improve the implementation of it. I don't want to go back to a system where legit goals are ruled out by mistakes made by match officials. That John Stones header against Arsenal a few weeks back was a good case in point. Everyone assumed it was off-side, but VAR correctly detected that a defender (White?) had moved too soon and played him on, and the offside ruling was overturned.

It's also quite good fun when a visiting team's goal is ruled out by VAR.

Drogba11CFC

Non-League Finals Day was a massive disappointment; very short on food items (the bare minimum open, leading to massive queues). Still, at least there were no Wrexham fans this year.

Iskra

Established Member

Apparently we have a 20k waiting list too, although I’m sceptical about that and it’s probably diminishing rapidly with relegation imminent. However, I have little sympathy with fans complaining about not being able to get one, as there were plenty available only 5 years ago…

However, the ST holder churn will probably be small now as if I can’t make a game I can return my ticket to the club and get a refund on a match by match basis. So if I ever no longer wanted an ST now, I’d probably keep it and just sell all the tickets back individually, therefore retaining my ST.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Non-League Finals Day was a massive disappointment; very short on food items (the bare minimum open, leading to massive queues). Still, at least there were no Wrexham fans this year.

Not the best of games but delighted to see the Shaymen lift a bit of silverware thanks to a rather strange and fortuitous goal. I spent a miserable decade, the 1980s, watching Halifax while Bradford (PA) was in hibernation.

Am I imagining it but, every time I go to Wembley, there seem to be fewer and fewer toilets? There were even queues in the "prawn sandwich" purple zone at half time yesterday. But at least there was cask beer. Wembley is very poorly served for real ale pubs. There's little else apart from the Wetherspoons who don't accept CAMRA discount vouchers on "event" days.

I missed out on the Vase final as, fearing knock on effects from the ASLEF overtime ban, I didn't trust the WCML to get me there on time. So I had an extra couple of hours kip instead but, in the event, I could have made it.

Interestingly - why do so many early Sunday trains stop at Watford Junction with hardly any later in the day?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Which section were you in? I was on the half way line in the neutral section but went to the Halifax side to get food, and everything was open from just after full time in the Vase final - I imagine on the far side of the ground with the Vase teams was much less busy. Was less open?

Drogba11CFC

Which section were you in? I was on the half way line in the neutral section but went to the Halifax side to get food, and everything was open from just after full time in the Vase final - I imagine on the far side of the ground with the Vase teams was much less busy. Was less open?
Neutral section, block 251. All that was available on the Gateshead side was a chicken and chips stall and the budweiser bar selling pies.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Neutral section, block 251. All that was available on the Gateshead side was a chicken and chips stall and the budweiser bar selling pies.
Wow. That is bad.

I was in 144, and the full range was open on the Halifax side. Everything, chicken and chips, burgers, popcorn, pick and mix, beers, every single stall. Gateshead should complain about that.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
At the hearing into past transfer dealings by Juventus, they have had an immediate ten-point deduction which drops them from second to seventh place in Serie A and this point deduction takes them out of the qualifying places for the major club tournaments for next season, which will also have financial implications for them.

RichJF

Newcastle have done it! Can't believe we're in the Champions League after years of Ashley stagnation! :D

PsychoMouse

Must feel a bit hollow if you're a Newcastle fan, what with their bit of success only happening because they're run by a murderous, homophobic religious junta.

If that happened to my club I'm not sure I'd be able to go against my morals and continue my support.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Like Chelsea you mean? Spend 500 million to get worse.

Well done Newcastle.
That point might have some validity if such success was also achieved without enormous amounts of money. Yes, Chelsea is a mess but you cannot argue that Newcastle could have got to Champions League qualification without the Saudi money (or a similar amount injected from elsewhere).

Must feel a bit hollow if you're a Newcastle fan, what with their bit of success only happening because they're run by a murderous, homophobic religious junta.
It seems that not being run by Mike Ashley means anything else is acceptable.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

If that happened to my club I'm not sure I'd be able to go against my morals and continue my support.
“But at least it’s not Mike Ashley”.

Another nail in the “getting difficult to care about it” coffin for top level football. If Newcastle ever win anything nobody outside the North East will really care about it because it’s all down to money injected by a slave state.

RichJF

Amazing what a substantial amount of money can achieve

250 million over three transfer windows? I'm sure Chelsea have spent 600 m in two.

I'm not against Mike Ashley as he left us debt free & balanced the books. It was the "finish every season in 17th" aim & changing the stadium to Sports Direct Arena. A bit of effort would've been nice.

Haywain

Veteran Member
250 million over three transfer windows? I'm sure Chelsea have spent 600 m in two.
It's important to only use the comparison to the one club that have spent big and failed. Best to ignore the other 13 who don't have those resources.