• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bantamzen

Established Member
To me one of the positives of supporting anyone outside of the elite, is the opportunity, just once in a while, to be drawn against a higher league team, possibly beat them but if not, try to get a draw and the opportunity of a day out with a game at swanky stadium, or to 'get them back to our place' with the bonus of the share of two matches gate receipts. The only winners here are the elite.

My feelings are summed up by Chris Wilder:

I can't remember the last time I watched the cup final, I don't want the same old. I don't have a clue whose in the FA Cup semi-final (I assume we are at that stage) but I do know who the finalists were in the Kent Senior Cup. The Premier League has left me behind - fortunately, local football hasn't!

Quotes from https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68844583
The FA don't give a stuff about anything outside of the Premier League, our clubs are just a nuisance to the top flight hence why so often PL clubs field weakened sides against lower opposition in cup games. Well I say they don't give a stuff, they do only when they pick up bargain priced players from the lower leagues who become top players, then they do give a stuff.

Haywain

Veteran Member
our clubs are just a nuisance to the top flight hence why so often PL clubs field weakened sides against lower opposition in cup games.
You can't just lay the blame for that on Premier League clubs - even National League clubs will put out weakened sides in FA Cup games against lower placed sides, and it certainly happens throughout the EFL.
The FA don't give a stuff about anything outside of dare not upset the Premier League
Corrected that for you.

75A

Established Member
In the past few years Portsmouth have had some good F.A.Cup runs (coming in at the 1st Round Proper stage), and blown out on Promotion because of too many games at the end of the season. This year they lost @ Chesterfield in their first game and were crowned Champions with two games left.
Next season they'll come in at the third round proper and if it came down to a good cup run with relegation or a comfy middle table position after being knocked out of the F.A.Cup after the first game I'd take that.
We won the Cup in 2008 and lost in the Final two years later so know what if feels like, but it's taken 12 painful years just to get back to the Championship.

JamesT

Established Member
If they are 4th in the Premier League they will get a Champions League place. Winning the Conference League only guarantees a place in the following season’s Europa League, but not sure if the Conference League runners up would then get that place, should Villa become Conference winners.
If the Conference League winners have qualified for the Champions League, then the team with the best coefficient who would have to go through qualifying gets straight into the league section and there's one fewer team in qualifying.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
If the Conference League winners have qualified for the Champions League, then the team with the best coefficient who would have to go through qualifying gets straight into the league section and there's one fewer team in qualifying.
Doesn't that result in one team having a bye through the first round of qualifying?

JamesT

Established Member
Doesn't that result in one team having a bye through the first round of qualifying?
Almost certainly. There’s already a bit of bumping thanks to Russia’s exclusion from sport.

Chelsea Women have won the first leg of their Champions League semifinal away to Barcelona 1-0. Erin Cuthbert scored the only goal on 40 minutes in a performance that would be best summed up as gritty defence by Chelsea. Barcelona were awarded a penalty for handball, but it was overturned by VAR due to an attacker being offside. Given Barca have been averaging four goals per game in Europe this season, the tie is very much not over.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Highland League

Fraserburgh in 3rd place on a winning streak in their last five league matches playing at home this afternoon to bottom-club Strathspey Thistle on a losing streak in their last five league matches.

Final score update

Fraserburgh 11 ... Strathspey Thistle 0

Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Highland League
Fraserburgh in 3rd place on a winning streak in their last five league matches playing at home this afternoon to bottom-club Strathspey Thistle on a losing streak in their last five league matches.
Final score update
Fraserburgh 11 ... Strathspey Thistle 0
Buckie Thistle were crowned as Highland League champions today (by just a +2 superior goal difference compared with Brechin City who finished on equal points) and will now play East Kilbride (Lowland League champions) over the next two Saturdays in the end of season Scottish pyramid play-offs to see who then gets a shot at playing "Club 42" (not yet decided, but will be one of Clyde, Stranraer or Bonnyrigg Rose) for a place in next season's Scottish League 2.

JD2168

Manchester City have beaten Chelsea 1-0 in the first FA Cup semi final at Wembley with a late goal from Bernado Silva after Chelsea missed a number of chances during the game.

Fleetwood & Port Vale have been relegated from League One joining Carlisle with Cheltenham highly likely to be the fourth team relegated.

In League Two Sutton are almost relegated to the National League joining the already relegated Forest Green.

SteveM70

Established Member
Eastleigh 0-3 FC Halifax Town

After playing three consecutive home games on two away grounds in two different counties, Halifax trekked to Eastleigh for their fourth game in eight days knowing a win would guarantee the last playoff spot.

In a remarkably un-Halifax way, they won comfortably without any of the usual tension, jeopardy and random madness that seems to afflict them in high stakes games. As it turned out, because of other results a draw or loss would’ve been enough.

So now we go to Altrincham for the playoff quarter final next Wednesday.

JamesT

Established Member
Manchester City have beaten Chelsea 1-0 in the first FA Cup semi final at Wembley with a late goal from Bernado Silva after Chelsea missed a number of chances during the game.
It was noticeable that Pep’s first response to being interviewed after the game was to moan about having to play today after playing in Europe on Wednesday when none of the other semi finalists did.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Buckie Thistle were crowned as Highland League champions today (by just a +2 superior goal difference compared with Brechin City who finished on equal points) and will now play East Kilbride (Lowland League champions) over the next two Saturdays in the end of season Scottish pyramid play-offs to see who then gets a shot at playing "Club 42" (not yet decided, but will be one of Clyde, Stranraer or Bonnyrigg Rose) for a place in next season's Scottish League 2.
In recent seasons in the Highland League, Brora Rangers were always a side to note being near the top of the league, but very strangely this season they have fallen away in recent weeks and have only gained one point from their last five league matches.

It was noticeable that Pep’s first response to being interviewed after the game was to moan about having to play today after playing in Europe on Wednesday when none of the other semi finalists did.
I thought it was more a case that the Coventry and Manchester United game could have been played today the Manchester City and Chelsea game could have been played tomorrow giving the players an extra 24 hours recovery time.. The match against Real Madrid was not a 90-minute, but a 120 minute match in midweek and it was noticeable that Haarland did not feature in the team selection today.

I wonder if this posting will bring forth gems of personal football reminiscences such as "When I played for the Cloggers Arms in the 1960s, we often played three matches a week".... :lol:

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Chester City 0 v Darlo 0

End of season dead rubber. Draw a fair result. Darlo finish 16th in NLN after a remarkable turn around in the last third of the season under manager Steve Watson.

He has signed a 2 year contract

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
I wonder if this posting will bring forth gems of personal football reminiscences such as "When I played for the Cloggers Arms in the 1960s, we often played three matches a week".... :lol:
While I certainly can't make such a claim I would point out that back in the day all top level domestic weekend games were played on Saturdays with all European games on Wednesdays. As such the position for Guardiola/City was exactly as was once perfectly normal but when foreign travel was less convenient and standards of fitness and physical care were lower. So I have no sympathy for his complaint what so ever. It seems to be in a similar vein as managers complaining about their top players always being away on international duty: so stop signing top players!

Perhaps Guardiola ought to follow this thread and read about the difficulties a couple of little teams have had just trying to find playable pitches for their matches.:rolleyes:

Bantamzen

Established Member
You can't just lay the blame for that on Premier League clubs - even National League clubs will put out weakened sides in FA Cup games against lower placed sides, and it certainly happens throughout the EFL.
True, but PL teams have far deeper squads (and pockets) to be able to field half decent sides when playing us lower league plebs. There's really no excuse most of the time for them not to at least put out reasonably decent teams.

Corrected that for you.
Ha ha, very true.

SteveM70

Established Member
While I certainly can't make such a claim I would point out that back in the day all top level domestic weekend games were played on Saturdays with all European games on Wednesdays. As such the position for Guardiola/City was exactly as was once perfectly normal but when foreign travel was less convenient and standards of fitness and physical care were lower. So I have no sympathy for his complaint what so ever

Yes, but that wasn’t his point

His point was that neither of the teams in today’s semi final played last midweek, so scheduling the games the other way round wouldn’t have disadvantaged them but would’ve given City an extra 24 hours (or 33%) recovery time

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
True, but PL teams have far deeper squads (and pockets) to be able to field half decent sides when playing us lower league plebs. There's really no excuse most of the time for them not to at least put out reasonably decent teams.
In the semi-final match between Manchester City and Chelsea, the Chelsea club in that respect would be a tad annoyed at the "lower league pleb" comparison..... :lol:

dangie

Established Member
…I wonder if this posting will bring forth gems of personal football reminiscences such as "When I played for the Cloggers Arms in the 1960s, we often played three matches a week".... :lol:
When I played for the Lamb Inn back in the early 1970’s in the North Staffs & Stafford League's we‘d play three matches in a weekend :)

Falcon1200

Established Member

I normally have little time for Premier League Managers, and footballers (incredibly fit young men provided with the best nutrition and medical care money can buy) moaning about match schedules, but in this case I think Mr Guardiola does have a point; Is there any reason why the semi-finals could not have been played the other way round?

In another scheduling issue, Oxford United played Stevenage on Friday evening, and managed only to draw, meaning that Lincoln City knew that if they won on Saturday they would displace us from the play-off positions; Which they duly did. Perhaps an element of unfairness there too? (plus that fact that whenever Oxford are featured on Sky we do poorly!)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Northern Premier League...Premier Division

The final 5th play-off place, currently occupied by Hyde United who have now completed all their league fixtures must surely be taken by Ashton United, who have level points with Hyde (but an inferior goal difference) and two games in hand. The first of those in away to 17th place Matlock Town on Monday, 22nd April (19:45ko) and the second is home to 3rd place Marine on Saturday, 27th April, so the easier fixture is the first of these.

JamesT

Established Member
I normally have little time for Premier League Managers, and footballers (incredibly fit young men provided with the best nutrition and medical care money can buy) moaning about match schedules, but in this case I think Mr Guardiola does have a point; Is there any reason why the semi-finals could not have been played the other way round?
As Gary Lineker sort of admitted, it will be down to TV. Yesterday’s game was BBC whereas today’s is ITV. I think the channels take it in turns to pick the matches, so the BBC choosing that match meant it was on Saturday. (BBC are showing the marathon and the snooker today)

In another scheduling issue, Oxford United played Stevenage on Friday evening, and managed only to draw, meaning that Lincoln City knew that if they won on Saturday they would displace us from the play-off positions; Which they duly did. Perhaps an element of unfairness there too? (plus that fact that whenever Oxford are featured on Sky we do poorly!)

Some of the officiating in the Oxford match was appalling. How was that penalty not given, by the assistant referee if the referee’s view wasn’t clear?

Falcon1200

Established Member
As Gary Lineker sort of admitted, it will be down to TV.

Thanks.

How was that penalty not given, by the assistant referee if the referee’s view wasn’t clear?

It was an incredibly poor decision, and would have changed the course of the game. Having said that, we have dropped far too many points from winnable games this season so our league position is our own doing!

Haywain

Veteran Member
In the National League, Gateshead have been barred from taking part in the play-offs due to not having the security of tenure at Gateshead Stadium that is required for EFL membership. As a result Solihull Moors get a bye to the next stage.

Iskra

Established Member
Wednesday currently beating Blackburn 3-1, they are looking like they may pull off The Great Escape... is this the first time they've been out of the relegation zone all season?

Edit: That's a confirmed result now. Huddersfield V Birmingham looks it should be a lively one next weekend now!

Last edited:

Bantamzen

Established Member
Wednesday currently beating Blackburn 3-1, they are looking like they may pull off The Great Escape... is this the first time they've been out of the relegation zone all season?

Edit: That's a confirmed result now. Huddersfield V Birmingham looks it should be a lively one next weekend now!
Never mind the result, Blackburn's keeper made a blunder for Wednesday's opener, and the third... Well what can you say? He somehow lashes a back pass into his own net. That will be one he will never be allowed to forget..

Iskra

Established Member
Never mind the result, Blackburn's keeper made a blunder for Wednesday's opener, and the third... Well what can you say? He somehow lashes a back pass into his own net. That will be one he will never be allowed to forget..
Yes, I only saw footage of that goal subsequent to my OP, but it is a horrendous series of errors indeed.

Haywain

Veteran Member
In the National League, Gateshead have been barred from taking part in the play-offs due to not having the security of tenure at Gateshead Stadium that is required for EFL membership. As a result Solihull Moors get a bye to the next stage.
The National League have had a rethink and it is now Altrincham who get the bye with Solihull Moors playing the remaining eliminator at home to Halifax Town.