• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Darandio

Established Member
I don't think the runner-up takes the place in this case, not like the FA Cup.

The last case would have been Aston Villa in 2010, but they took 6th place in the Premier anyway to take the place.

The one before that was Wigan in 2006, and they were beaten by Man Utd who then went to qualify for the Champions League. Wigan were not in the Uefa Cup (later Europa) the next season.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
I don't think the runner-up takes the place in this case, not like the FA Cup.

The last case would have been Aston Villa in 2010, but they took 6th place in the Premier anyway to take the place.

The one before that was Wigan in 2006, and they were beaten by Man Utd who then went to qualify for the Champions League. Wigan were not in the Uefa Cup (later Europa) the next season.

Found this

UEFA Europa League Third Qualifying Round

League Cup winners

If the League Cup winners have already qualified for Europe by a high Premier League finish, then the next highest-finishing Premier League club gets this place

SS4

Established Member
Forget the league position, teams reach the semi finals on their own merit. It'll be hard to break them down at home with 11 men behind the ball.

Darandio

Established Member
FT Bradford 3 Villa 1. Really, Bradford to win the league cup anyone?

I don't think so to be honest. Villa Park will be a different game altogether.

Even if they did get past Villa, I fully expect Chelsea to beat Swansea and would expect a hiding for Bradford in a Chelsea - Bradford final. If not only for the reason that Benitez seems to give his side a strong cup mentality.

richw

Veteran Member
Bradford almost certainly gonna park the bus at Villa Park in a fortnight. I expect a 10-0-0 formation.

Darandio

Established Member
will it sell out? might see about getting a ticket.

Very good question, they haven't sold out at all this season. I don't see why it is sold out at this point, I presume tickets will be on general sale.

Edit*

Tickets go on general sale in the morning.

Ivo

Established Member
Teams from the third tier have won the League Cup before; however, I can find no evidence of a fourth-tier side ever reaching the Final. Chester reached the semis in the 70s as a fourth level side, so Bradford's feat this time around isn't a first.

Random other fact: Reading vs Arsenal was the highest scoring game in the competition's history.

Plus having to cope with Small Heath fans who forget they're nowhere near the semi final :roll:

*cough* 2011 *cough*

Bradford almost certainly gonna park the bus at Villa Park in a fortnight. I expect a 10-0-0 formation.

No chance. 6-4-0 at best ;)

(I know, your post was in jest.)

Ivo

Established Member
We all know that Daniel Sturridge is over-rated. On this evidence, he is not only over-rated, but also deluded (explaining why he thinks he's so good :p)...

Source = BBC

Liverpool's Daniel Sturridge says there is no bigger club than Liverpool in the Premier League, ahead of Sunday's game against Manchester United.

The 23-year-old striker signed for the Reds on 2 January from Chelsea and has also played for current champions Manchester City.

"It is the biggest club I have ever played for," Sturridge told Liverpool's official website.

"In the Premier League, there is no bigger club than Liverpool."

Liverpool and United are the two most decorated clubs in the top flight.

In terms of league titles, United have 19 compared to Liverpool's 18, while the Merseysiders have five European Cup wins to the Old Trafford side's three.

Sturridge scored on his Liverpool debut as his new side beat Mansfield in the FA Cup and is grateful to Reds boss Brendan Rodgers for signing him.

...one therefore assumes that Mansfield must be right up there if Liverpool needed a handball goal (no more debate please) to beat them :|

And speaking of which, relating to a recent post from David:

I think they have made a mistake in signing Sturridge. Chelseas have certainly got the better of their transfer dealings so far, after getting rid of a not very good striker (IMO) for £12m and replacing him with Demba Ba for a reported £7.5m.

You and the rest of us <D

...and from the same post:

Is that a bit of Stanley Park rivalry I detect? ;)

Nope. It's looking down on them, because everyone knows we're better at the minute!

richw

Veteran Member
Teams from the third tier have won the League Cup before; however, I can find no evidence of a fourth-tier side ever reaching the Final. Chester reached the semis in the 70s as a fourth level side, so Bradford's feat this time around isn't a first.

Random other fact: Reading vs Arsenal was the highest scoring game in the competition's history.

*cough* 2011 *cough*

No chance. 6-4-0 at best ;)

(I know, your post was in jest.)

Rochdale reached the final in 1962 I which they lost to Norwich. They were playing in the old 4th division at the time.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Rochdale reached the final in 1962 I which they lost to Norwich. They were playing in the old 4th division at the time.

Indeed you are correct and this final was a 2-legged affair played on the home ground of both the clubs, with Norwich City winning 4-0 on aggregate.

Rochdale 0...Norwich City 3 (Match played at Spotland)

Norwich City 1...Rochdale 0 (Match played at Carrow Road)

I was the ripe old age of 17 when this final was played.....:D

Ivo

Established Member

Not bad at all. I really should have known about this...

At the time though, many of the top clubs didn't bother with the League Cup at all, by which I mean they didn't even participate. And some people say that (until recently anyway) Man U and others belittled the competition by fielding weakened teams...

richw

Veteran Member

The Sun newspaper didnt know of it neither, they reported today that a 4 tier team have never reached the final.

(I dont normally buy The Sun, but am collecting their £9.50 holiday tokens this week and next week)

12CSVT

Established Member

At the time though, many of the top clubs didn't bother with the League Cup at all, by which I mean they didn't even participate. And some people say that (until recently anyway) Man U and others belittled the competition by fielding weakened teams...

It's provided a lot of good fun over the years when so-called big teams have been dumped out of the cup by lower division sides.
1995 was it, when York City won 3 - 0 at Old Trafford ?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Unbelievable Jeff!

Swansea 2-0 Chelsea, Michu and Graham for the Welsh team. Despite Graham's goal being in the ninetieth minute, there was still time for Chelsea to have a Demba Ba goal ruled out for offside.

richw

Veteran Member
Swansea have won 2-0 at stamford bridge in the league cup semi final first leg. Michu and Torres were both taken off by their manager at the same time, 2 Spanish number 9s, one was booed off, the other given an eruptious cheer. One cost 2m the other 50m, on tonights performances if you didn't know who cost how much other than values and that the value was the 2 of them, you'd assume muchu was the 50m striker.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Apparently just before Graham's goal, Chelsea thought they should have had a penalty - Ba and Swansea's 'keeper Tremmels had a confrontation over it leaving the pitch.

Either way, it'd be great for football if we had a Bradford v Swansea final.

Darandio

Established Member
Apparently just before Graham's goal, Chelsea thought they should have had a penalty - Ba and Swansea's 'keeper Tremmels had a confrontation over it leaving the pitch.

I'm not sure it was a penalty, but it certainly wasn't a booking for Ba for diving, very harsh.

Ba also had a goal disallowed moments later, he would have been inches off side, at best. In days gone by, the offside rule would give the benefit of the doubt to the striker, not now. Again, possibly harsh.

Phil6219

It sure would, that's what I'm hoping for. Though to be honest I wouldn't minded Villa getting through as long as it wasn't Chelsea that went on to win.

Phil 8-)

richw

Veteran Member
BBC have an extra match of the day at 2305 with the two semi finals highlights