• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

familyguy99

What the hell is happening to Liverpool in last 10 mins, 3-0 up and look more likely to win the match and now 3-3. :o

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
All gone wrong for Liverpool. 3-0 up, currently 3-3

I bet there are some happy Man City fans tonight, the title is theirs to throw away

Last edited:

familyguy99

And it finish Crystal Palace 3-3 Liverpool, fair play to Palace for coming back from 3-0 down to draw 3-3 and show us why Tony Pulis probably will win manager of the year award.

If Man City win on Wednesday night they will go two points clear at top of table with one more game to go.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
But even that does not excuse throwing away a 3-goal advantage in 10 minutes.

Sounded like the 2 quick-fire goals knocked the stuffing out of them.

fowler9

Established Member
Trying for more goals to overturn the goal difference against Man City and not bothering to defend!

Not sure I agree, we weren't even going for the goal difference to an extent but our defence was backing off as it did all season and got punished for it.

sonic2009

Established Member
Yes gutted we threw a 3-0 lead way, but this is the premier league, i still reckon something will happen to Man City.

fowler9

Established Member
Yes gutted we threw a 3-0 lead way, but this is the premier league, i still reckon something will happen to Man City.

Possibly, but we needed 7 out of 9 points to guarantee it. We've so far got 1 out of 6 which blows that out of the water. Loosing Henderson seems to have had a bigger impact than some thought. We only have ourselves to blame to an extent. I say to an extent because despite our extensive resources we are still limited compared to Man City who have broken the financial fair play rules.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Possibly, but we needed 7 out of 9 points to guarantee it. We've so far got 1 out of 6 which blows that out of the water. Loosing Henderson seems to have had a bigger impact than some thought. We only have ourselves to blame to an extent. I say to an extent because despite our extensive resources we are still limited compared to Man City who have broken the financial fair play rules.

Whist Liverpool have most certainly been prolific in the scoring of goals this current season, I am sure that your good self as a staunch Liverpool supporter would agree that their defence has also been generous in allowing the opposition far too many goalscoring opportunities which have often been gratefully accepted by the opposition. Last night seemed to be a perfect example of both of these two tendencies.

I note what you say about the seemingly never-ending money input into Manchester City and if there is any truth in the story that they are prepared to offer over £130 million to Barcelona for Messi, then one can only draw a comparison to the the phrase made famous by Doctor "Bones" McCoy in the original Startrek series, slightly amended to fit this posting..."It's football, Jim, but not as we know it"
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Manchester City, unlike their nearby Premier League neighbours, are not as generous in allowing visiting teams to the Etihad Stadium to go away with three points or even one.

Both their remaining two fixtures are at home:-
Wednesday.....v. Aston Villa
Saturday.........v. West Ham United

Last edited:

Geezertronic

Established Member
Liverpool almost stuffed it up against Norwich, did stuff it up against Chelsea (although that was Gerrard's slip up), and lost the title against Palace. I cannot help wondering whether their defence would be so bad with Carragher in it, or even with Agger starting.

I can't see Man City losing at home against either Villa or West Ham - they have only lost once this season at home in the Premier League and that was to Chelsea. They only have to match Liverpool's results now so 4 points from two games would win it for them.

steamybrian

Established Member
As an long standing Palace supporter to see them score three goals in the last 10 minutes against Liverpool last night was brilliant.:D:D:D
It is not the first time either because I am old enough to remember when they did the same thing in 1990 FA Cup Semi Final to win 4-3.
Look forward to next season in the Premier League.

Clip

Established Member
According to reports the Liverpool fans were not exactly behaving themselves last night. Flares being chucked into the disabled enclosure and fights kicking off in the home end too among other reports.

Think they have got over excited here as some have been asking for tickets in the away end when we play them last game of the season. Im guessing thats what some have done here too given they thought they would have it all wrapped up by now.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Some forum members expressed a belief that clubs like Manchester City and Paris St Germain would only receive "a metaphorical slap on the wrist" for transgressing the UEFA Football Financial Fair Play scheme may now need rethinking. I have just taken a telephone call from Paris which suggests that EUFA are considering a fine equivalent of £52 million, a wage cap and size restrictions on their squads for next seasons Champions League.

In the home league match against Hull City on Tuesday night, I see that Manchester United chose to give league debuts to two young players, one of which, 18 year old James Wilson, took this opportunity to score two goals in the 3-1 win.

Last edited:
So once again Leeds United have the best travelling support in the Football League with an average attendance of over 3000.

Champions Leicester City were the 2nd best in the Championship but we're miles behind Leeds with 2200 average. You'd expect Leicester to have a good away following given their fantastic season so to beat them by so much shows the loyalty of the Leeds travelling army.

Yeovil had the lowest average away attendance.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Do you mean the Championship, or do you mean the whole Football League?

I doubt Yeovil have the worst away support in the whole of the league.

richw

Veteran Member
Are the travelling numbers in a direct correlation to the home numbers?
Yeovil had the lowest number of home fans as well, so I would expect them to have the lowest travelling fans as well.

SS4

Established Member
Some forum members expressed a belief that clubs like Manchester City and Paris St Germain would only receive "a metaphorical slap on the wrist" for transgressing the UEFA Football Financial Fair Play scheme may now need rethinking. I have just taken a telephone call from Paris which suggests that EUFA are considering a fine equivalent of £52 million, a wage cap and size restrictions on their squads for next seasons Champions League.

It's a start but it's still not really punishment. Almost any amount of money is going to be chump change for those clubs, 21 instead of 25 players will barely make a dent. Wage restrictions are set at equivalent to this season (I wonder how many players will sign new contracts by the weekend?).

Points deductions and/or expulsion is the only way they'll learn but UEFA dare not bite the hand that feeds it. FFP rules are practically designed to not rock the boat after all. The best way for FFP to work is through abolition of the Champions League

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
It's a start but it's still not really punishment. Almost any amount of money is going to be chump change for those clubs, 21 instead of 25 players will barely make a dent. Wage restrictions are set at equivalent to this season (I wonder how many players will sign new contracts by the weekend?).

Points deductions and/or expulsion is the only way they'll learn but UEFA dare not bite the hand that feeds it. FFP rules are practically designed to not rock the boat after all. The best way for FFP to work is through abolition of the Champions League

Since this became known, it is said that any challenge against this stricture could have implications for any club, such as not being allowed to compete in the Champions League. So the threat is implied...will clubs try to test the resolve of EUFA and risk possible consequences ?

SS4

Established Member
Since this became known, it is said that any challenge against this stricture could have implications for any club, such as not being allowed to compete in the Champions League. So the threat is implied...will clubs try to test the resolve of EUFA and risk possible consequences ?

That is the question. I think they'll try it if it gets to the expulsion stage

Kite159

Veteran Member
What is £50 million to City? It's peanuts, they will probably earnt a lot more by winning the league. Or they will sell the naming rights to one of the stands to cover the 'fine'
Squad size reduction from 25 to 21 players, can't see that being much of an issue
Wage cap, the last period's wage bill included payoffs for Mancini & Co.

A mere slap on the wrist

richw

Veteran Member
What is £50 million to City? It's peanuts, they will probably earnt a lot more by winning the league. Or they will sell the naming rights to one of the stands to cover the 'fine'
Squad size reduction from 25 to 21 players, can't see that being much of an issue
Wage cap, the last period's wage bill included payoffs for Mancini & Co.

A mere slap on the wrist

PSG failed because one of their sponsorship was much higher than an equivalent sponsorship that Atletico Madrid received,

Surely if a commercial firm wants to sponsor team A £x million, and a commercial firm in the same industry wants to sponsor Team B £4 X Million that should be down to the commercial business to put a price on what they think its worth.
Tonights results see Sunderland move up to 14th, not bad considering they looked dead and buried a few weeks back. They needed a 4 goal swing, to win and Villa lose to move to 14th. They had a 5 goal swing, won and Villa lost.
6 goal swing, didn't realise Man City were still scoring!

Kite159

Veteran Member
My prediction

With 91 minutes gone West Ham will be leading Man City 2-1, with suddenly west ham implodes during injury time to allow Man City 2 late goals.

Liverpool to get a rugby score in their game (6-0)

---

Norwich are pretty much gone, the only other thing to be decided on Sunday is the Europa League spot, currently held by Spurs with a 3 point advantage over Man Utd (with a much worst GD), so a draw will see Man Utd fail to qualify for Europe for the first time since when?

richw

Veteran Member
My prediction

With 91 minutes gone West Ham will be leading Man City 2-1, with suddenly west ham implodes during injury time to allow Man City 2 late goals.

---

Norwich are pretty much gone, the only other thing to be decided on Sunday is the Europa League spot, currently held by Spurs with a 3 point advantage over Man Utd (with a much worst GD), so a draw will see Man Utd fail to qualify for Europe for the first time since when?

Early 90s for any Europe I think, and 1995 since they last failed to make Champs League.

Norwich can only stay up with something like a 17 goal swing, so we can be pretty sure they are gone.
All 3 relegated teams have sacked their manager through the season, and finished in a worse position than when they sacked their manager.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
My prediction:-
With 91 minutes gone West Ham will be leading Man City 2-1, with suddenly West Ham implodes during injury time to allow Man City 2 late goals.

After last night's Manchester City's 4-0 home win over Aston Villa (all scored in the second half during Manchester monsoon conditions), even if Manchester City were then to be held to a draw at the Etihad Stadium by West Ham United in the final league match of this season, this would mean that the three points gained by Liverpool should they, as expected, beat Newcastle United at Anfield, it would need to be by no less than fourteen clear goals in order to finish the season with a greater goal difference than Manchester City, both clubs in this scenario being on the same number of points.

I may be wrong with my delving back into the dim and distant past, but the highest league victory gained by Liverpool was in a Second Division match on 18th February 1896, when they defeated Rotherham Town 10-1.

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
My prediction

---

Come on West Ham :p

Has anyone noticed how Hull City have collapsed in the last few weeks ? - Just as well they got their 37 points when they did !!

Clip

Established Member
Its sucha tow edged coin the end of the season, fantastic if City win it given Liverpools rather funny end of season collapse, as you were

spoiled by the fact the Mackems are staying up. :(

Smudger105e

Some clubs have been very diligent with their financial control. Championship clubs can make a loss of 8 million before being sanctioned. Clubs that have performed within these parameter s will, I suggest, not be happy if action is not taken against clubs that have failed to meet the target.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk