• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

On Moderation
Amazing what a substantial amount of money can achieve
To be fair to them, they haven’t thrown the cash around on “Galacticos” and have acquired on a sensible basis: the likes of Pope, Trippier and Botman are all sensible signings with the aim of building a side.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
At least with their oil money they might stop Moss Side winning a fourth successive title with their oil money next year... not sure Eddie Howe is quite at Pep Guardiola's level yet though!

Still annoyed with Arsenal for bottling the title from the position they were in to be honest. Biggest bottle-job since Keegan's Newcastle.

SJL2020

Yes, Chelsea is a mess but you cannot argue that Newcastle could have got to Champions League qualification without the Saudi money (or a similar amount injected from elsewhere).
Actually, my point was that spending isn't enough, you have to spend wisely. You can't just buy the league, which is what the point I responded to seemed to be suggesting.

Chelsea, Man United and Everton are examples of clubs who have spent big but unwisely in recent years, but there are plenty of others. Whatever Newcastle have spent has obviously been well spent, so far at least.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Lets not forget that despite all that blood money the barcodes still haven't won a trophy in colour.

If Newcastle ever win anything nobody outside the North East will really care about it because it’s all down to money injected by a slave state.
Agreed - but many within the north east detested the Mags before the glut of oil money slicking into Tyneside. It was mainly the delusions of grandeur and the superiority complex of what was essentially a bog standard, success less, 2nd division club that grated.

To be fair to them, they haven’t thrown the cash around on “Galacticos” and have acquired on a sensible basis: the likes of Pope, Trippier and Botman are all sensible signings with the aim of building a side.
They may do now. They have champions league football & pots of foreign money to attract higher level players. I wonder if Mr Howe might find himself replaced by a bigger name foreign manager.........

Last edited:

On Moderation
They may do now. They have champions league football & pots of foreign money to attract higher level players. I wonder if Mr Howe might find himself replaced by a bigger name foreign manager.........
One of the indicators of some sensibility in the Newcastle board room was the appointment of Eddie Howe in the first place, rather than bringing in a big name of the Tuchel/Nagelsmann/Guardiola/Mourinho type.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
At least with their oil money they might stop Moss Side winning a fourth successive title with their oil money next year...

I was unaware that the rural hamlet of Moss Side in a nice quiet area that still has an open railway station with trains to Blackpool South had such a noted football team...
You should never forget your roots, and where you've come from.

The club in question sometimes also alternatively referred to as the "Gorton Globetrotters". ;)

Lets not forget that despite all that blood money the barcodes still haven't won a trophy in colour.
Suppose the InterToto Cup in 2006 or the Championship in both 2010 and 2017 don't count?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Suppose the InterToto Cup in 2006 or the Championship in both 2010 and 2017 don't count?
Nope - none are a top level trophy of the sort that such a ( checks notes) MASSIVE club should be winning. What is a MASSIVE club like Newcastle doing getting relegated to the championship for anyway?

And the intertwobob cup was a certificate not a trophy ;)

Last edited:

Jimini

Established Member
Nope - none are a top level trophy of the sort that such a ( checks notes) MASSIVE club should be winning.

And the intertwobob cup was a certificate not a trophy ;)

The Intertoto was 100% a massive deal in the footballing world (says the lifelong Fulham fan here) :lol::lol:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
just to be really clear about Newcastle and their trophies

Last league championship: 1926/27
last domestic trophy: FA Cup 1954/1955
Last European trophy: Inter-Cities Fairs Cup 1968/69 ( Apparently not even recognised by UEFA as "officially" a precursor of the UEFA cup!)

This Saudi money should change all this. Sad days.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Is West Gorton the original "roots" area of Manchester City FC..
Indeed. The club / church team was supposedly formed by a rector's daughter in c. 1880 as an alternative pursuit for locals participating in gang violence and alcoholism.
...and is Clayton the area of Manchester in which they are now situated?
Believe the modern day stadium is built on the site of the old Bradford colliery in East Manchester. (The more-or-less contiguous Clayton area being a short walk away).

DarloRich

Veteran Member
One of the indicators of some sensibility in the Newcastle board room was the appointment of Eddie Howe in the first place, rather than bringing in a big name of the Tuchel/Nagelsmann/Guardiola/Mourinho type.
You know how football goes mental at the first sniff of success! Starts with the whispering: Can Howe manage "big names"? He lacks European experience. Is Howe a big enough draw for the kind of names we need to regularly challenge for trophies etc etc etc

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Manchester City have gone back to their roots to some extent by moving near to their old Hyde Road ground, which was adjacent to Ardwick station.

However the Etihad Stadium is much nearer to Bank Street than to Hyde Road, Bank Street being one of the two former homes of Manchester United.

A comprehensive spreadsheet showing where each EFL and PL club played during every single season from 1888/89 onwards may be found by visiting

and clicking on the photo at the bottom of the home page.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The trains are going to be Chaos on Monday with over 44,000 Sheffield Wednesday supporters and 20k+ Barnsley going to London!
I’ve had a pint tonight with 3 SWFC supporters in London tonight (in their shirts) - so at least some of them are here already…

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I’ve had a pint tonight with 3 SWFC supporters in London tonight (in their shirts) - so at least some of them are here already…
At least this season the kick-off times of the play-off finals are a bit more fan friendly than last year which required at least one night in a hotel for anyone not able to travel by car or club coach.

Quite a few Town fans decided to make a weekend of it and also went to see Huddersfield RLFC in the Challenge Cup final. Though as my adopted RL team of choice is Batley, I didn't bother- there's still some bad blood with the owner of Huddersfield "Giants" over ownership of the stadium.

ohgoditsjames

Yes I know a number of us who have already gone down, I'm heading down on Sunday, thankfully I'm avoiding the train!

Which pub was it? Nags head in Covent Garden is a favourite amongst our lot.

tigerroar

On Moderation
Just seen a video on twitter of Coventry fans at Euston. Why don't trains from Coventry make a stop at Wembley Central on days like today?

dangie

Established Member
Actually, my point was that spending isn't enough, you have to spend wisely...
Yes, going back quite a few years to Brian Clough/Peter Taylor at Notts Forest. Ok they did make Trevor Francis the first £million player and pay £250,000 for goalkeeper Peter Shelton but most buys were either free or relatively cheap. Clough & Taylor simply got them to play as a team.

SteveM70

Established Member
At least this season the kick-off times of the play-off finals are a bit more fan friendly than last year

16:45 for the championship playoff today could mean the trophy being lifted as late as 19:45/20:00 if it goes to extra time and penalties. So fans probably won’t be back in central London till pushing 9pm, so had it been a Sunderland v Middlesbrough final they’d be struggling to get back tonight by public transport

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
16:45 for the championship playoff today could mean the trophy being lifted as late as 19:45/20:00 if it goes to extra time and penalties. So fans probably won’t be back in central London till pushing 9pm, so had it been a Sunderland v Middlesbrough final they’d be struggling to get back tonight by public transport
Thanks for the correction, I'd been under the impression that all three finals were 3pm.

SteveM70

Established Member
Thanks for the correction, I'd been under the impression that all three finals were 3pm.

Tomorrow’s is at lunchtime so probably means Carlisle fans can’t travel down in the morning. But Sky have insisted so it’s before the Grand Prix, which is timed to be before the last round of premier league games