• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
Even so, we don't demand that the pundits are of the same standard as those they comment on. If we did, nobody would be able to pass judgement on Messi, Mbappe or Ronaldo (C). Pundits are using their eyes and their brains, so it is ridiculous to suggest that women are unsuited to comment on men's football due to different physical attributes.

But not due to experience ?

Fine. How many male commentators have been 'intruding' on female sporting fixtures over the last few decades?

That was the natural order of things which thankfully is changing.

I've got nothing against female commentators or hosts - just pundits on male fixtures.

Butts

Veteran Member
Do the likes of Shearer et all have real experience of the current men's game?

Certainly more than any woman.

Not just that on MOD you will get the little anecdotes where one of the presenters or pundits actually appear in a clip from days gone by.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Blimey

Opinions on pundits are obviously highly subjective, and there are many I like a lot, some I really, really don't like, and a lot in between. And guess what, they're a mix of male and female. I think Eni Aluko is the single worst pundit out there, but it isn't because she's a woman, its because she's just vacuous and adds nothing. Second worst is Robbie Savage, obviously

[Edit - I forgot Rio Ferdinand. Equal second worst with Savage]
No discussion of "worst pundit" should take place without mention of Danny Murphy.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Certainly more than any woman.

Not just that on MOD you will get the little anecdotes where one of the presenters or pundits actually appear in a clip from days gone by.
Well, a clip of Alan Shearer scoring from two yards out around 30 years ago does nothing to enhance the highlights of the day's Premier League football for me. Much of what the pundits say doesn't enhance it either but their credentials are not established by a random clip from the past.

dangie

Established Member
….Meals can lift heavier weights than females.
That is what I like about this website, you learn new and interesting facts on it. I find it hard to think of a double portion of steak pudding, chips and peas (one of my favourite meals) taking on one of the larger women weightlifters, though... :smile:
Whoops….. that’s my dyslexic fingers :D

Butts

Veteran Member
Don't forget Andy Gray too (the same Andy Gray who had two separate spells playing for Aston Villa, and both times he was rubbish), who had made sexist comments about Sian Massey who was a match official at the time.

Not to be confused with the "real" Andy Gray who was a much better player but ultimately suffered the same fate as a broadcaster.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
No discussion of "worst pundit" should take place without mention of Danny Murphy.

I quite like Danny Murphy.
I always think that Danny Murphy sounds so sad, like there is some soul crushing despair deep inside him. I think he doesn't really like football but his dad made him play and now he is trapped talking about something he loathes. He really wanted to be a ballerina.

dangie

Established Member
My worst pundit is Alan Shearer with his constant criticism of match officials.

Once, just once, I’d love to see him attempt to referee a Premier League game. I’d guess he’d never do it again.

SteveM70

Established Member
As an aside to studio pundits, how about worst co-commentator?

Anyone any worse the Steve McMananaman? "Yep.....yep.....yep....Fletch.....yep" [repeat ad nauseam]

JamesT

Established Member
Manchester United have announced that although they believe Mason Greenwood is innocent of the offences he was alleged to have committed, they have agreed that he should leave the club.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Manchester United have announced that although they believe Mason Greenwood is innocent of the offences he was alleged to have committed, they have agreed that he should leave the club.
Potential asset value (transfer fee foregone) vs loss of sponsorship deals?

Which would cost United the more?

SteveM70

Established Member
They haven't said he's leaving for nothing.

They haven’t actually said he’s leaving have they?

“All those involved, including Mason, recognise the difficulties with him recommencing his career at Manchester United. It has therefore been mutually agreed that it would be most appropriate for him to do so away from Old Trafford, and we will now work with Mason to achieve that outcome” is the quote from the CEO.

To me that says season long loan, then see how things look next May

Haywain

Veteran Member
They haven’t actually said he’s leaving have they?

“All those involved, including Mason, recognise the difficulties with him recommencing his career at Manchester United. It has therefore been mutually agreed that it would be most appropriate for him to do so away from Old Trafford, and we will now work with Mason to achieve that outcome” is the quote from the CEO.

To me that says season long loan, then see how things look next May
That is certainly a possibility. His contract has two years to run and I think they'll be looking to get a return on that if they can.

SteveM70

Established Member
That is certainly a possibility. His contract has two years to run and I think they'll be looking to get a return on that if they can.

For me the key phrase is "we will now work with Mason" - if they were going to terminate his contract or sell him, they wouldn't be working with him. Finding a suitable loan is another matter

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
For me the key phrase is "we will now work with Mason" - if they were going to terminate his contract or sell him, they wouldn't be working with him. Finding a suitable loan is another matter
On a similar matter, the last that I heard of David Goodwillie was that he played just one match for Radcliffe in the Northern Premier League in the 2022-2023 season and scored a hat-trick in the 4-2 win over Belper Town, but the club management said it was a mistake to have signed him...and that was that for him, now in his early 30s.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
If they were to terminate his contract he might well have grounds to sue, given that he hasn't been convicted of any crime.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
If they were to terminate his contract he might well have grounds to sue, given that he hasn't been convicted of any crime.

I doubt it. Most contracts have a clause about brining the company into disrepute - which this would do.