• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

75A

Established Member
If the game had been in the Premier League (as it probably will be next season), the result would have been different, VAR would have allowed Leicester's 2nd goal, which the Linesman mistakenly flagged as offside and that would have put Leicester 2-0 up. Leeds playing with the gusto they had may well have fought back to win, but who knows?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It has still been an emotional rollercoaster! …and after an awful season last season.
This league is always crazy, today being no exception. The wheels seem to have come off at Southampton which is great for your lads but not so great for us- we unfortunately played them a couple of weeks too early! Four of the bottom six won today, thankfully Huddersfield Town were one of them. Of the two that lost, one (Rotherham) were playing another bottom six side (QPR), but even they led at one point.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Northern Premier League- Premier Division

Whitby Town 2 ... Hyde United 1

I suppose that Hyde's long unbeaten run had to end sometime. Whitby must have been involved in some competition or had match cancellations as although they are mid-table, they had played five matches less than Hyde. Whitby took the lead in the 28th minute and Hyde equalized in the 62nd minute. When it looked that a draw was a likely outcome, one minute before the end, Whitby scored the winner. Hyde now drop from second to thirs place in the league.

SteveM70

Established Member
Dagenham & Redbridge 0-1 FC Halifax Town

Scrappy, and hanging on a bit at the end, but won with a goal from Andrew Olawuburi, the one moment of real quality in the match

Four wins in a row now (partly thanks to the game with Chesterfield being postponed on Tuesday)

Iskra

Established Member
This league is always crazy, today being no exception. The wheels seem to have come off at Southampton which is great for your lads but not so great for us- we unfortunately played them a couple of weeks too early! Four of the bottom six won today, thankfully Huddersfield Town were one of them. Of the two that lost, one (Rotherham) were playing another bottom six side (QPR), but even they led at one point.
Southampton are the team I fear the most, but we do face them last game of the season so any issues with them are still in our hands. Everyone is saying we have an easy run in, but our next 4 league games are Huddersfield, Stoke, Millwall and Sheffield Wednesday. Millwall, Wednesday and Huddersfield are fiery games for different reasons and Stoke have already beaten us this season. It is consistently the most interesting division I think.

75A

Established Member
Thought the Man of the Match in Man City's 1-0 win @ Bournnouth was the Ref, he played good advantages and allowed a lot more rough and tumble than most of his colleagues well done.
The real M.O.M was deservedly Phil Foden.

SteveM70

Established Member
Thought the Man of the Match in Man City's 1-0 win @ Bournnouth was the Ref, he played good advantages and allowed a lot more rough and tumble than most of his colleagues well done.
The real M.O.M was deservedly Phil Foden.

Yeah he’s a good ref. Pretty sure it was the Aussie one. John Stones motm for me, he’s a very fine footballer

dangie

Established Member
And dangie won't even have a Potteries derby to look forward to next season as Vale are in more bother than Stoke.
Ah yes, but Crewe Alexandra are doing quite well so that's almost a local derby if they get promotion :D

On the plus side, Stoke did score a goal.

JD2168

Today’s league 2 game between Barrow & Bradford City was postponed as the referee decided that the pitch was unplayable. Barrow manager Pete Wild said the team will complain to the FA.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Today’s league 2 game between Barrow & Bradford City was postponed as the referee decided that the pitch was unplayable. Barrow manager Pete Wild said the team will complain to the FA.
I was sitting in a pub in Barrow when the decision came through. I was also unimpressed, after a 300 mile journey. Only two games today which were new League grounds for me and I chose the wrong one!

SteveM70

Established Member
I was sitting in a pub in Barrow when the decision came through. I was also unimpressed, after a 300 mile journey. Only two games today which were new League grounds for me and I chose the wrong one!

One of my kids knows Kian Spence, who plays for Barrow, and he said that after the postponement the Barrow team had an open training session on the pitch so the fans could at least watch something, and that the pitch was absolutely fine, to the point that by teatime they had the sprinklers on! Seems a very strange decision by the ref. Also, for context, anyone who saw the state of Valley Parade for Bradford's midweek match which went ahead will be baffled

dangie

Established Member
Stoke City boss Steven Schumacher said after the 2-1 defeat at Cardiff City:

In two key areas of the game we haven't been good enough.‘

Let me guess.
  1. Not scoring enough goals
  2. Allowing the opposition to score more goals

Carlisle

Established Member
As a neutral pleased Liverpool v Chelsea didn’t go penalties. VAR clearly makes an already very low scoring sport even more challenging to win in allotted time.

SteveM70

Established Member
VAR clearly makes an already very low scoring sport even more challenging to win in allotted time

VAR doesn't just disallow goals does it? It also overrules incorrect offside calls, and gives penalties where the match officials haven't

SteveM70

Established Member
You overrate how much most of the planet cares about the result of the Carabau Cup final.

Wonder how many millions have been spent on that sponsorship over the years, and what proportion of the population still have zero idea what Carabao is

SteveM70

Established Member
The answer to the second part of the question is that it’s an energy drink, although I’ve never seen it in a shop (though I don’t drink energy drinks so have never actively looked)

75A

Established Member
VAR doesn't just disallow goals does it? It also overrules incorrect offside calls, and gives penalties where the match officials haven't
Pity the Championship doesn't have it. A dodgy Linesman's offside flag would have been overruled and Leicester would have been 2-0 up on Friday night against Leeds.

Darandio

Established Member
Out of interest who do you regard as the original Bitters then?

Everton isn't it?

Pity the Championship doesn't have it. A dodgy Linesman's offside flag would have been overruled and Leicester would have been 2-0 up on Friday night against Leeds.

It was nearly impossible to see from the touchline. Whilst VAR is useful in situations like that one, calling out the linesman as dodgy is a bit over the top in this case.

Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-0 Sheffield United

A 30th minute header by Pablo Sarabia sent The Old Gold and Black into 8th, just one point off what will 99% likely be a European place.

It was a horrible second half for Wolves but Blades lack of quality and confidence showed.

With Liverpool winning the League Cup and it being fairly likely that England will get a 5th Champions League spot under the expanded competition, 7th will very likely be a passport to Europe and its exciting to see my side right in the mix!