• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

dangie

Established Member
No words of wisdom as yet this week from Stoke’s manager Steven Schumacher (there’s still time).

However his Potteries counterpart at Port Vale, Darren Moore, seamlessly filled in for him on BBC Radio this morning.

The Vale are at present 2nd from bottom in League One and 7 points adrift from safety.

Darren said ‘We have to acknowledge we have a fight on our hands to avoid relegation’.

It must be the Potteries air…….

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Blyth Spartans 1 v Darlo 2

Hanging on and hanging on and hanging on away from home. Players dead on their feet. Superb saves by the kid in goal on loan from Sunderland ( he is going places that kid) 2 kicked off the line in the last seconds. Points. Bag. Bus. Phew.

OUT OF THE RELEGATION ZONE!

( job is not done. Lots to play for. Onto the next one. One game at time etc.)

Loppylugs

Blyth Spartans 1 v Darlo 2

Hanging on and hanging on and hanging on away from home. Players dead on their feet. Superb saves by the kid in goal on loan from Sunderland ( he is going places that kid) 2 kicked off the line in the last seconds. Points. Bag. Bus. Phew.

OUT OF THE RELEGATION ZONE!

( job is not done. Lots to play for. Onto the next one. One game at time etc.)
Well done Darlo, keep up the good work! A good night all round with AFC Wimbledon beating Gillingham 2 - 0 to move into the play-off places and Franchise losing !!!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
No words of wisdom as yet this week from Stoke’s manager Steven Schumacher (there’s still time).

However his Potteries counterpart at Port Vale, Darren Moore, seamlessly filled in for him on BBC Radio this morning.

The Vale are at present 2nd from bottom in League One and 7 points adrift from safety.

Darren said ‘We have to acknowledge we have a fight on our hands to avoid relegation’.

It must be the Potteries air…….
I can assure you it isn't the Potteries air, Moore was just as bad in Yorkshire!

Describing things as being "part and partial (sic) of the game" was a favourite "Mooreism".

As for Schumacher, you tend not to care so much what nonsense a manager spouts if the team is getting results.

As well as Arsenal’s dramatic shootout win v Porto in the Champions League, German 3rd tier side FC Saarbrücken continued there unbelievable run in the DfB Pokal last night, by turning over Borussia Mönchengladbach 2-1 with a 93rd minute winner in the Quarter-Final.

It means either a 2nd or 3rd tier side will be in the Final, with them taking on FC Kaiserslautern of Bundesliga.2 in the Semi’s at home.

And with Bayer Leverkusen playing Bundesliga.2 side in Fortuna Düsseldorf, means any slip up by Alonso’s men could mean an all Non-Top Tier Final!

Feel really bad for Luton. Great advert for the Premier League though. Shame it wasn't on TV.

JD2168

The latest England squad has been announced, places for Jarrad Branthwaite, Anthony Gordon & Ivan Toney have received call ups. Kalvin Phillips has been dropped after his poor form since joining West Ham. Ben White has again rejected a call up to the squad & denied an issue between White & Steve Holland.

The Champions League & Europa/Conference League draws have been made. The Champions League draw is:
Real Madrid vs Manchester City.
Arsenal vs Bayern Munich.
Borussia Dortmund vs Athletico Madrid.
PSG vs Barcelona.
In the semis the top two winners will play each other whilst in the other the bottom two winners will play each other.

In the Europa League the ties are:
Liverpool vs Atalanta.
Benfica vs Marseille.
West Ham vs Bayer Leverkusen.
Roma vs AC Milan.
In the Semis the winners of the top two will face each other & the winners of the bottom two will face each other.

In the Europa Conference League the ties are:
Aston Villa vs Lille.
Olympiakos vs Fenerbache.
Fiorentina vs Viktoria Plzen.
Club Brugge vs PAOK.
In the Semis the winners of the top two ties will face each other & the winners of the bottom two ties will face each other.

Last edited:

Norm_D_Ploom

The latest England squad has been announced, places for Jarrad Branthwaite, Anthony Gordon & Ivan Toney have received call ups. Kalvin Phillips has been dropped after his poor form since joining West Ham. Ben White has again rejected a call up to the squad & denied an issue between White & Steve Holland.

The Champions League & Europa/Conference League draws have been made. The Champions League draw is:
Real Madrid vs Manchester City.
Arsenal vs Bayern Munich.
Borussia Dortmund vs Athletico Madrid.
PSG vs Barcelona.
In the semis the top two winners will play each other whilst in the other the bottom two winners will play each other.

In the Europa League the ties are:
Liverpool vs Atalanta.
Benfica vs Marseille.
West Ham vs Bayer Leverkusen.
Roma vs AC Milan.
In the Semis the winners of the top two will face each other & the winners of the bottom two will face each other.

In the Europa Conference League the ties are:
Aston Villa vs Lille.
Olympiakos vs Fenerbache.
Fiorentina vs Viktoria Plzen.
Club Brugge vs PAOK.
In the Semis the winners of the top two ties will face each other & the winners of the bottom two ties will face each other.
Kane to deliver the knockout blow to Arsenal?

It's written in the star's isn't it?

Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-3 Coventry City

The Sky Blues reach the Semi-Finals of The FA Cup after a quite extraordinary last 10 minutes of normal time and then 10 minutes of Stoppage Time at Molineux.

Seeing that we were two minutes away from returning to Wembley having turned it around from goals by Rayan Ait-Nouri and Hugo Bueno; and yet still lost in the 100th minute means Wolves fully deserved the defeat.

Mark Robins and his side fully deserve the victory.

I am about to have a long lie down in a darkened room…

Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Seems that Jersey's home non league game against Horley Town today was postponed as EasyJet considered some of the visitors' baggage to be overweight/oversized.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Northern Premier League-Premier Division

Ilkeston Town 1 ... Hyde United 1

A good Ilkeston match attendance of 660 saw Ilkeston take the lead in the 11th minute, only for Hyde to equalise in the 18th minute, but that was the end of the goalscoring. It is beginning to look horribly like last season for Hyde with results not being good and other teams gradually overhauling them, from what was a well-placed second position in mid-February last season, they did not even finish in the play-offs.

Since mid--February of this year, in their last six league matches, they have won two, drawn three and lost one. The draw today coupled to good results in other high-placed teams has seen Hyde drop to third place in the league having played more games than the other teams below them in the league.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Darlington 1 v Peterborough Sports 0

A tired darlo found a way. 7 wins from 9 games. Still 20th but now 5 points above the team in 21st who we play next!

Steve Watson has done a fantastic job. The turn around since he took over from josh clowning has been Incredible

dangie

Established Member
Stoke City 0-3 Norwich City

Stoke boss Steven Schumacher told BBC Radio Stoke:
"I thought Norwich were the better team in every department….”
"If you can't do the basics well enough you're not going to win games."

Haywain

Veteran Member
Seems that Jersey's home non league game against Horley Town today was postponed as EasyJet considered some of the visitors' baggage to be overweight/oversized.
From another forum:
Offshore clubs book and pay for 25 flights

The visiting teams are sent in advance a VERY detailed list of arrangements, including baggage allowances.
Also the items we will provide for the visitors to save them bringing them with them.
This is the first such occurrence in five seasons of such arrangements.

75A

Established Member
Seriously impressed with the Toon Army today, I got home as the second half was starting, I was in a different room to the television so was listening rather than watching, when I did go into the lounge I was astounded to see that they were the away side, losing 2-0, IMO they probably have the noisiest fans @ away games of any Premier League team. At one point I changed channels to see the Fulham/Spurs game and it was silent even though the home side were 3-0 up.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Stoke City 0-3 Norwich City

Stoke boss Steven Schumacher told BBC Radio Stoke:
"I thought Norwich were the better team in every department….”
"If you can't do the basics well enough you're not going to win games."
Can't say I expected us to get anything against a top 6 side tbh. Fortunately the two recent wins, and results elsewhere today, are enough to keep us out of the bottom 3 for now. Some tough games coming up, so we definitely need to make sure we're getting good results against the likes of Huddersfield and Wednesday

Edit: removed a chunk of old post that somehow mades it's way into the middle of my post

Last edited:

JD2168

Can't say I expected us to get anything against a top 6 side tbh. Fortunately the two recent wins, and results elsewhere today, are enough to keep us out of the bottom 3 for now.“It’s just about getting results,” said Schumacher, who hosts Middlesbrough at the bet365 Stadium tomorrow. “We’ve got to a stage of the season, a quarter of the season effectively left, and we’re in a position we shouldn’t be in so we’ve got to do something about that. Playing pretty football and being nice on the ball, ok that will come, but results are so important. We’ve got to find a way to win games. Some tough games coming up, so we definitely need to make sure we're getting good results against the likes of Huddersfield and Wednesday

You got a good results in the Ipswich vs Sheffield Wednesday match as Ipswich won 6-0 & Rotherham & Huddersfield drew 0-0.

Iskra

Established Member
Seriously impressed with the Toon Army today, I got home as the second half was starting, I was in a different room to the television so was listening rather than watching, when I did go into the lounge I was astounded to see that they were the away side, losing 2-0, IMO they probably have the noisiest fans @ away games of any Premier League team. At one point I changed channels to see the Fulham/Spurs game and it was silent even though the home side were 3-0 up.
It’s like a library at St James Park though. I’ve never quite understood how a team with such vocal away supporters can be so bad at home.

- - - - -

Leeds 2 Millwall 0

Leeds move top, not that it means all that much at this point. A fairly comfortable win, with the Millwall keeper having a fantastic afternoon. Once the 2-goal margin was secured Millwall tried playing football and actually looked a much better team for it. Unfortunately, it was another dismal set of officials who couldn’t even get basic decisions correct between them, let alone important ones. I think the referee thought we’d come to watch him, or possibly he won some sort of competition to be there, as it’s been a while since I saw an official so out of their depth.

Someone else well out of their depth, was the scoreboard operator. Spot the error:

IMG_4394.jpeg

In more positive news at Elland Road, my seat has also been converted to safe standing too over the break in home fixtures. We stand all game anyway, but it’s a nice step in the right direction.

65965D72-30BE-4858-83C9-092CD7E6560D.jpeg

Last edited:

JD2168

Manchester United have won a sensational Cup tie 4-3 against Liverpool after extra time. The full time score was 2-2. Chelsea beat Leicester 4-2.

The semi final draw has been made, the ties are:
Coventry City vs Manchester United.
Manchester City vs Chelsea.
Both ties will be played at Wembley.

SteveM70

Established Member
Oxford City 0-2 FC Halifax Town

It’s always strange watching Halifax on the telly, even more so when it’s a 12:15 kickoff on a Sunday lunchtime

Oxford are bottom and it’s easy to see why, yet they somehow got a point at the Shay so it needed a professional performance to get the win we need to keep pace with the playoff hopefuls

Two goals in two minutes midway through the first half from Rob Harker and Andrew Oluwabori proved enough.

The Oxford goalie didn’t cover himself in glory on either goal, but made a number of good saves in the rest of the game. Such is the life of the goalie

1D54

A repeat of the final last season then is seriously on the cards. Man Pic - Euston with possibly engineering works, ASLEF calling a strike or Avanti just being Avanti cancelling services!!

Haywain

Veteran Member
A repeat of the final last season then is seriously on the cards. Man Pic - Euston with possibly engineering works, ASLEF calling a strike or Avanti just being Avanti cancelling services!!
Engineering work between Crewe and Stafford but otherwise looks to be clear. Just strikes and general Avanti-ness to worry about!

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
it will be no problem going by the 1815 train from Piccadilly > Euston tonight. Packed full of plastic mancs heading south all going mad when the winner went in. Problem is they had all left the ground before full time. They were comparing notes about when they left! They are pretend fans. They are plastic and a hilarious embarrassment.

Don't give me any booked train nonsense either. If you are a proper fan you find a way. There are few times that supporting a small team allows you to be smug. This was one of those times ;)

Last edited:

Exeter City 1-0 Burton Albion

Really important win for the grecians. Ive seen a few really good wins this season but i think this one feels more important than any other.

We squandered a few early chances but Reece Cole put a cross home in the 41st minute. To think that not long ago he was falling out of love with the game in the 7th tier and now he's probably City's best player. However, nerves started to show in the crowd after Zack Jules got sent off for headbutting one of Burton's CBs in the tunnel at half time. Stupid from him and a shame because he's been one of our better players. However, we defended brilliantly in the second half and Will Aimson, in my opinion, put in a MOTM performance from defence. I've never agreed with those who boo him, I've always known there is a great player in him and his goal against Shrewsbury has greatly increased his confidence.

Refereeing, on the other hand, was appalling with many unfair free kicks given to Burton.

We held on though and a win puts us 12 points about the drop zone.

Less said about Tottenham the better though.... we really are terrible...