• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formula 1

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
The circumstances were certainly unusual, such that I, and possibly the drivers, in their peripheral vision, might have assumed the signs displayed "SC" for safety car.

That's exactly what Coulthard in commentary thought they said, both he and Ben Edwards couldn't understand why other cars stayed out.

It wasn't a harsh penalty- the pit lane was closed as marshals were wheeling the car down the pit lane- but it was a very unlucky one given the timings.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
team radio provided by F1. Shows when and where Hamilton got the radio messages and his speed relative to the curve and light boards. Time 2.51
Comes up as "Video unavailable" for me. :(

SteveM70

Established Member
Don't think they will make much difference unless Hamilton drives round in an i20 (and he'd probably still be on the podium!). I know it's can't happen, but it would be fascinating if the drivers were given cars at random, then we would know if hamilton's as good in a Torro as he is in a Merc. Chances are he would be - but I'd like to see Max in a Merc.

I’ve been saying for years that instead of the stupid Soccer Aid, with “celebrities” no sane individual has ever heard of lumbering round Old Trafford and Robbie Williams’ best mate lording it, they should get the F1 drivers in a set of identical karts and see who really is fastest. Genuinely interesting and millions raised for charity

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
should get the F1 drivers in a set of identical karts and see who really is fastest. Genuinely interesting and millions raised for charity

They already do, it's the Race of Champions. The trophy is named after the rally driver Henri Toivonen who died in a horrific crash in 1986.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Last edited:

birchesgreen

Established Member
Yes Vettel is going to Aston Martin (as the team will be called), though is it still going to be an old Mercedes?

Yes Vettel is going to Aston Martin (as the team will be called), though is it still going to be an old Mercedes?

More than likely mind the way Ferrari are performing at the moment it might well be the better team to be at, and with the budget cap the big teams are going have to experience the biggest change in terms of adjusting to the new budget levels which may prove a problem for them. Although whether I would want to be in team where the other driver is the owner kid is a debatable point.

Last edited:

Geezertronic

Established Member
Perez hasn't helped his argument by being beaten by Stroll this year.

Perez didn't help himself by missing two races, but even if Perez matched the result that Hulk did get, and that result was also matched in the race that Hulk didn't start in due to car troubles, he would still be behind Stroll.

IMO Stroll is not a bad driver, maybe considered a daddys boy who makes more mistakes than he should, but he did well for his Williams Podium P3 (almost a P2) and should have really been in contention for the win last race before coming P3 due to mistakes after the red flag restart. Vettel could find himself in the same old situation he finds himself in as he'll have to battle a decent teammate before looking at the other teams. I doubt he will get priority status unless he obliterates Stroll

najaB

Veteran Member
IMO Stroll is not a bad driver, maybe considered a daddys boy who makes more mistakes than he should, but he did well for his Williams Podium P3 (almost a P2) and should have really been in contention for the win last race before coming P3 due to mistakes after the red flag restart.
This. If Stroll Sr. didn't own the team, Lance would be seen as a decent mid-field driver.

birchesgreen

Established Member
More than likely mind the way Ferrari are performing at the moment it might well be the better team to be at, and with the budget cap the big teams are going have to experience the biggest change in terms of adjusting to the new budget levels which may prove a problem for them. Although whether I would want to be in team where the other driver is the owner kid is a debatable point.

Oh yes lets face it, last year's Mercedes is still one of the best cars on the grid.

Domh245

Established Member
though is it still going to be an old Mercedes?

It'll be this year's car again, with very limited changes. This was mandated by the FIA as part of the COVID measures that also saw the introduction of the new technical regulations pushed back a year (for which AM won't be able to copy Mercedes)

It'll be nice to have some 'b' cars used again, would the last one have been the old FW14b?

greatvoyager

Established Member
I must be missing four, then?

My list has the following remaining races:

13/09/20 : Toscana

27/09/20 : Sochi

11/10/20 : Nurburgring

23/10/20 : Portugal

01/11/20 : Imola
There’s also Turkey 14/11/20, Bahrain (twice) 29/11/20 and 06/12/20 and Abu Dhabi 13/12/20

greatvoyager

Established Member
Using different circuit configurations. I'm looking forward to seeing the outer loop in use almost as much as I'm looking forward to seeing these cars go round turn 8 in Turkey.
The different configuration fill for byte 2nd Bahrain race will be nice to see.

D365

Veteran Member
My opinion: Bottas really needs the win tomorrow if he wants any chance of being retained for 2022 (assuming Hamilton stays on).

Domh245

Established Member
My opinion: Bottas really needs the win tomorrow if he wants any chance of being retained for 2022 (assuming Hamilton stays on).

I'd disagree, Mercedes' driver strategy is Lewis + a competent #2. So long as Lewis is at the team, Valtteri is the obvious 2nd driver - he keeps him honest on saturday, and is generally quick enough on sunday for Mercedes to easily wrap up the constructors. The real issue is when Lewis leaves - Russell is the obvious successor, but they'll want him to at least have one season in the Merc before Lewis retires - that's the threat to Bottas' seat

Royston Vasey

Established Member
It'll be this year's car again, with very limited changes. This was mandated by the FIA as part of the COVID measures that also saw the introduction of the new technical regulations pushed back a year (for which AM won't be able to copy Mercedes)

It'll be nice to have some 'b' cars used again, would the last one have been the old FW14b?
Pretty much I think. Unless someone like Spyker or Marussia did one when they were running out of money.

Ferrari had the 412 T1 and T1B in 1994, but that was a B spec in a different sense, i.e. a necessary redesign in season, rather than just being developed and raced again for another year. The original 412 T1 had those beautiful sidepods, but beauty did not necessarily translate to performance!

There are many more examples of B cars in-season but rarely when the car was so good they used it again next year, in modern times anyway.

McLaren effectively ran with a B car once or twice around the turn of the century when they were dominant (and the planned successor car was comparatively rubbish), at least to start the season, but never called it "B", just either the same or the next increment of the MP4 series.

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
I'd disagree, Mercedes' driver strategy is Lewis + a competent #2. So long as Lewis is at the team, Valtteri is the obvious 2nd driver - he keeps him honest on saturday, and is generally quick enough on sunday for Mercedes to easily wrap up the constructors.
I agree. If you look at Botta's performance this year in isolation - 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 11th, 3rd, 3rd, 2nd and 5th - he would be by far and away a leading driver in any team other than Red Bull. He's usually reliable, gets the job done and keeps the points rolling in, which is exactly what Mercedes needs.

Last edited:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
He's usually reliable, gets the job done and keeps the points rolling in, which is exactly what Mercedes needs.

Yup. He's never going to beat Lewis because he's not as good as Lewis, but he's solid and will normally be about to pick up the pieces if Lewis has an issue. After Rosberg, Mercedes clearly don't want open warfare in the team again.

When you think Bottas went through a (allegedly)particularly messy divorce last year and he's still done the job on Sundays, it says a lot.

It's why Red Bull weren't devastated that Ricciardo left and certainly didn't try very hard to persuade him to stay. They clearly put their money on Verstappen as outright #1.

Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
I'd disagree, Mercedes' driver strategy is Lewis + a competent #2. So long as Lewis is at the team, Valtteri is the obvious 2nd driver - he keeps him honest on saturday, and is generally quick enough on sunday for Mercedes to easily wrap up the constructors. The real issue is when Lewis leaves - Russell is the obvious successor, but they'll want him to at least have one season in the Merc before Lewis retires - that's the threat to Bottas' seat

That's exactly what I am inferring. How many more years do we expect Hamilton to keep going? Does he have another three championships inside him?